Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 7th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Lehigh wins!!!

robsnotes4u
September 7th, 2013, 02:48 PM
what a game

RichH2
September 7th, 2013, 02:49 PM
WOW, double OT win.Campbell saves thE dAY.

Mr. C
Pass to the goal line looks like six to Braddock and is knocked away at the last minute by Isaiah Campbell, taking it out of Braddock's hands.

Lehigh'98
Pulled a rabbit out of our ass

RichH2
gRITTY COMEBACK FROM 20 DOWN. BB to Kufis.

Mr. C
September 7th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Final

Lehigh 51, CCSU 44
Double Overtime

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 7th, 2013, 02:50 PM
I was shaking like a tree!! Andy's teams play with so much heart!!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 7th, 2013, 02:52 PM
The offense has major potential but the defense has to get better!! It's great to be 1-0!!

RichH2
September 7th, 2013, 02:53 PM
I know we have been saying Gate and FU need to outscore to win. Seems that our current situation also

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 7th, 2013, 02:54 PM
I know we have been saying Gate and FU need to outscore to win. Seems that our current situation also

CCSU killed LU with running wide. Monmouth has a guy capable of doing the same. If nothing else, Lehigh should be able to put up 40+ again next week.

SingForever
September 7th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Shame on me for giving up, but I was in misery. Somebody up there likes us. 1-0 looks good to me. Now lets put it together.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 7th, 2013, 03:09 PM
CCSU fans seem to be blaming depth for the loss. I couldn't tell by watching on TV but Lehigh seemed to do a better job keeping their defensive guys relative fresh on warm day....

Southsider
September 7th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Shame on me for giving up, but I was in misery. Somebody up there likes us. 1-0 looks good to me. Now lets put it together.

I left with 7 min in 3rd. Team came out flat, fans came out flat, D came out flat, PA guy is the absolute worst in all of college football. Watched the end on TV. While I am happy with the "W", I just can't sit through performances like that. Hopefully things get better because it will only get tougher from here. And, BTW, I am very impressed with CCSU. Very nice club. LU Freshman kicker very solid, despite hitting upright. OK, done babbling.........gonna watch Pard's at 6.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 7th, 2013, 03:24 PM
I left with 7 min in 3rd. Team came out flat, fans came out flat, D came out flat, PA guy is the absolute worst in all of college football. Watched the end on TV. While I am happy with the "W", I just can't sit through performances like that. Hopefully things get better because it will only get tougher from here. And, BTW, I am very impressed with CCSU. Very nice club. LU Freshman kicker very solid, despite hitting upright. OK, done babbling.........gonna watch Pard's at 6.

258 rushing yards is simply inexcusable. I don't think the team came out flat as much as it was nerves and having a lot of fresh faces. BB made one bad decision all day and paid for it. The WR's were awesome. We knew going in the DL could/would get pushed around at times. Hopefully something can be done to sure it until improvement can be made.

CCSU is way better than Monmouth. I know MSU is considerably better than Lehigh but still...

Kurfis 222 yards receiving....he and Pat Ross will have a great duel this year...

Southsider
September 7th, 2013, 03:33 PM
[QUOTE=Go Lehigh TU owl;2000712]258 rushing yards is simply inexcusable. I don't think the team came out flat as much as it was nerves and having a lot of fresh faces. BB made one bad decision all day and paid for it. The WR's were awesome. We knew going in the DL could/would get pushed around at times. Hopefully something can be done to sure it until improvement can be made.

CCSU is way better than Monmouth. I know MSU is considerably better than Lehigh but still...

Kurfis 222 yards receiving....he and MARK Ross will have a great duel this year..

Fixed it for Ya..........

Anyway, always enjoy your posts Owl. Always from a level headed view.....I just get too cranked up when I see poor play. And there was plenty of that today!

RichH2
September 7th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Inconsistent on both side of the ball.O with big plays rose to the occasion. D on last drive did also. CCSU is better than I thought .Guess our O better than JMU but lets hope we improve a bunch before UNH

Bogus Megapardus
September 7th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Here's to you, Lehigh Mountain Hawks!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_TsQ2mWt6XPM/S8cMIGYpAWI/AAAAAAAAC6M/X28QlC4kKMs/s400/goodcan.jpg

'Cause I know some of you guys collect empties for a living.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 7th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Inconsistent on both side of the ball.O with big plays rose to the occasion. D on last drive did also. CCSU is better than I thought .Guess our O better than JMU but lets hope we improve a bunch before UNH

The offense, in general, was very good. Those two back-2-back turnovers were killer, especially with the one being nothing more than bad luck. The defense is a major concern. Fortunately, I don't think Monmouth and Princeton have the weapons in general to test Lehigh THAT much. I know for a fact Monmouth's QB is no where near as good as CCSU's.

CCSU reminded a lot like Monmouth last year. The Blue Devils maybe not the most talented team but have a lot of seasoned vets which is a recipe for an opening game headache. This could, COULD, end up being a respectable win.

One thing is for sure, unless LU opens with Moravian I'm picking close openers from here on out. Andy's teams do not start out well.....

colorless raider
September 7th, 2013, 03:45 PM
The offense, in general, was very good. Those two back-2-back turnovers were killer, especially with the one being nothing more than bad luck. The defense is a major concern. Fortunately, I don't think Monmouth and Princeton have the weapons in general test Lehigh THAT much. I know for a fact Monmouth's QB is no where near as good as CCSU's.

CCSU blew it. I should say their coach blew it. Several poor Offensive play calls. Should have gone for the first down on Lehigh 3 rather than kick meningless FG.

RichH2
September 7th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Here's to you, Lehigh Mountain Hawks!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_TsQ2mWt6XPM/S8cMIGYpAWI/AAAAAAAAC6M/X28QlC4kKMs/s400/goodcan.jpg

'Cause I know some of you guys collect empties for a living.

Thanks Bogie. Good luck tonite

Bogus Megapardus
September 7th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Thanks Bogie. Good luck tonite

You guys really had to pull that one out of your hind quarters, Rich. The CConn tailback was eating you alive for a while there.

Won't make the game at Fisher tonight. Still up north with my Utica Clubs and Lo-Speed interwebs - so I'll be watching. Saw most of your game.

RichH2
September 7th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Jealous but I will be watching also and a bit of Gate . We showed grit and big play O but lots of mistakes and a very porous D

Fordham
September 7th, 2013, 04:29 PM
gritty win, Engineers, and well played to CCSU.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 7th, 2013, 05:09 PM
couple tidbits
- 95 combined points a stadium record
- 222 receiving yards by Kurfis a stadium record
- Lehigh is 9-2 against the NEC

Lehigh Football Nation
September 7th, 2013, 06:41 PM
You guys really had to pull that one out of your hind quarters, Rich. The CConn tailback was eating you alive for a while there.

Won't make the game at Fisher tonight. Still up north with my Utica Clubs and Lo-Speed interwebs - so I'll be watching. Saw most of your game.

I'm here at Lafayette, and photoshop God Bogie is not.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 7th, 2013, 06:42 PM
I left with 7 min in 3rd. Team came out flat, fans came out flat, D came out flat, PA guy is the absolute worst in all of college football. Watched the end on TV. While I am happy with the "W", I just can't sit through performances like that.

I'm glad I did... xlolx

Lehigh'98
September 7th, 2013, 07:31 PM
Exciting win, but the defense has some major holes. Even the staff is nervous.

RichH2
September 7th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Its unit cohesiveness not there yet. CBs left in single and could not stop slants but clearly not trusted to press cover man to man. Little pass rush. Some individual bright spots. Newton and Palma on DL. Robb, Muhammed,Campbell LBs and Ward at SS.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 7th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Exciting win, but the defense has some major holes. Even the staff is nervous.

How much of that was the fact that CCSU has a world-class RB? I didn't come out of there thinking Lehigh's D was terrible, I came out of there being dazzled by an incredible back. If CCSU develops a second act they will be awfully tough to beat in the NEC.

Lehigh'98
September 7th, 2013, 09:10 PM
How much of that was the fact that CCSU has a world-class RB? I didn't come out of there thinking Lehigh's D was terrible, I came out of there being dazzled by an incredible back. If CCSU develops a second act they will be awfully tough to beat in the NEC.

We will see how the season plays out. They were dominated by JMU last week.

RichH2
September 7th, 2013, 09:13 PM
CCSU played JMu fairly even on O and D. TO and ST did them in. CCSU 2 rbs very good as was their qb. Luckily for us their DBs were worse than ours

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 7th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Liberty 45 Monmouth 15

Monmouth is bad. I saw them last week. LU could/should calm some nerves with a dominant win....

ngineer
September 7th, 2013, 10:01 PM
Well, I was there. Too bad so many 'fans' quit in the fourth quarter. Kids didn't. That was a great win from the perspective of creating confidence in a bunch of guys, many who were starting for the first time. In a first game, such as this, there will be a lot of mistakes. We will learn from them. But I tell you, we were in much better shape than CCSU. They were gassed in the fourth quarter and we took advantage of it. Bialkowski's hamstring is still an issue and the reason McHale was warming up, but BB asked Andy for one more shot, and Andy gave it to him..and the rest is history.
Observations: 1) We have a kicker! This kid is good. FIVE touchbacks on KO's. I doubt we have ever done that and that makes it difficult on any O to constantly start from the 25. Nice to see the missed XP didn't effect him later. Talked to him after the game and his parents. Really nice kid and family. Hopefully a super start to a super career.
2) Bialkowski is a smart kid and has a very nice touch. Most of his passes were on the money. For his first game it was a good performance.
3) OL is banged up pre-game. A number of players out with concussions, including Moore, who should be back for Monmouth.
4) Still running game was effective. Sherman certainly not a burner, but strong runner, and Farrell was strong and quick to the hole. I expect more of Sodeke as the
season moves on. I question the QB draw calls down at the endzone, especially with BB's hammy issue.
5) The receiving corps is stellar...Ryan who??? (;-)
6) Now for the defense. Bunch of mistakes. Lots of effort but not always efficient. Too many hits in the backfield and not wrapping up. That definitely needs to be
cleaned up. Some of it comes from not doing a lot of tackling to ground in practice to avoid injury, but it shows. Better pressure on QB certainly needed.
Secondary is athletic and just needs more seasoning. Will be better with a better rush.
7) Cecchini said after the game that he thought going into the game that the CCSU RB may be the best RB Lehigh will face all season. Kid was very quick in
his cuts and is strong.
8) Keep in mind, CCSU had about 16 starters back from last year's team and played JMU very tough at the line of scrimmage. 21 of JMU's points came off of a punt
return and two interception returns. "We" tend to look down on CCSU because their program hasn't been around that long. The same attitude taken with Sacred H
Heart....and ask the Leotards how they feel right now.

It's always said that the week between the first game and the second is where the most improvement will occur. Let's hope that a lot of lessons learned occurred out there in the
classroom today. But it showed that this Lehigh team is team. They hung together when many quit on them and proved that they believe in themselves and have confidence in one another. That is a big plus coming out of today. I was so drained after the game I put off cutting my grass until tomorrow. Done.

RichH2
September 7th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Well, I was there. Too bad so many 'fans' quit in the fourth quarter. Kids didn't. That was a great win from the perspective of creating confidence in a bunch of guys, many who were starting for the first time. In a first game, such as this, there will be a lot of mistakes. We will learn from them. But I tell you, we were in much better shape than CCSU. They were gassed in the fourth quarter and we took advantage of it. Bialkowski's hamstring is still an issue and the reason McHale was warming up, but BB asked Andy for one more shot, and Andy gave it to him..and the rest is history.
Observations: 1) We have a kicker! This kid is good. FIVE touchbacks on KO's. I doubt we have ever done that and that makes it difficult on any O to constantly start from the 25. Nice to see the missed XP didn't effect him later. Talked to him after the game and his parents. Really nice kid and family. Hopefully a super start to a super career.
2) Bialkowski is a smart kid and has a very nice touch. Most of his passes were on the money. For his first game it was a good performance.
3) OL is banged up pre-game. A number of players out with concussions, including Moore, who should be back for Monmouth.
4) Still running game was effective. Sherman certainly not a burner, but strong runner, and Farrell was strong and quick to the hole. I expect more of Sodeke as the
season moves on. I question the QB draw calls down at the endzone, especially with BB's hammy issue.
5) The receiving corps is stellar...Ryan who??? (;-)
6) Now for the defense. Bunch of mistakes. Lots of effort but not always efficient. Too many hits in the backfield and not wrapping up. That definitely needs to be
cleaned up. Some of it comes from not doing a lot of tackling to ground in practice to avoid injury, but it shows. Better pressure on QB certainly needed.
Secondary is athletic and just needs more seasoning. Will be better with a better rush.
7) Cecchini said after the game that he thought going into the game that the CCSU RB may be the best RB Lehigh will face all season. Kid was very quick in
his cuts and is strong.
8) Keep in mind, CCSU had about 16 starters back from last year's team and played JMU very tough at the line of scrimmage. 21 of JMU's points came off of a punt
return and two interception returns. "We" tend to look down on CCSU because their program hasn't been around that long. The same attitude taken with Sacred H
Heart....and ask the Leotards how they feel right now.

It's always said that the week between the first game and the second is where the most improvement will occur. Let's hope that a lot of lessons learned occurred out there in the
classroom today. But it showed that this Lehigh team is team. They hung together when many quit on them and proved that they believe in themselves and have confidence in one another. That is a big plus coming out of today. I was so drained after the game I put off cutting my grass until tomorrow. Done.
Thanks n great recap and analysis. Bb showed a little arm today.some nice deep throws. Healthy hammy,he can run well. Dont disagree on Sherman but Farrell gives them more punch.Nice to have Moore back but Nunes was fine. Hopefully Douglas can get back soon. One other meriting kudos is Coyle, he is bigger and tighter than last yr. A tough kid with nice hands.

Pard4Life
September 7th, 2013, 10:51 PM
Pulled a rabbit out of our ass

Ohhhh there's plenty more where that came from.

Pard4Life
September 7th, 2013, 10:57 PM
I was shaking like a tree!! Andy's teams play with so much heart!!

Heart for ten minutes? I don't know... better to play a whole game.

Pard4Life
September 7th, 2013, 11:00 PM
Looks like I was the only here that had unwavering faith that Lehigh was gonna win when they were down big and everyone comatose and ready to jump of South Mountain. Yes you read that correctly... I think that deserves some major rep points, just sayin lol. Lol .

Lehigh Football Nation
September 8th, 2013, 08:33 AM
People leaving. Bad move, Lehigh can still score fast.

:)

Lehigh Football Nation
September 8th, 2013, 08:40 AM
I almost forgot. My recap:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2013/09/lehigh-outlasts-ccsu-in-opening-day.html

aceinthehole
September 8th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Well, let's give credit where credit is due. I very gutty win by Lehigh - congrats.

"In the end, they made more plays," (CCSU head coach Jeff) McInerney said.

Very pleased to see that CCSU has "righted the ship" and is returning to form as a formidable non-conference threat and a true contender for a NEC title.

Looking forward to welcoming Holy Cross to Hard Hittin' New Britain for a long overdue matchup. Maybe this finally puts Sader over the edge! :)

Lehigh Football Nation
September 8th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Coach Mac was a great interview after the game - I'll try to throw some of that stuff in my pieces over the next day and a half, I'm hoping. He has strong Lehigh Valley ties. I think CCSU is going to win some games this year, Holloman was scary good, and I mean that sincerely.

CHIP72
September 8th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Good comeback win for the Mountain Hawks against CCSU, and obviously an exciting finish too. Lehigh's run defense was terrible though - how many times did CCSU get good yardage up the middle because they pushed around the Lehigh defense, or had a running play bounce outside for good yardage? On a more positive note, I was amazed by how quickly Lehigh scored their three touchdowns in the 4th quarter after they trailed 37-17 with 10 1/2 minutes left. I think all three possessions took less than a minute.

Because of where I live (Washington, DC area) I don't get a chance to see Lehigh play live too often, but I've now seen three crazy Lehigh games in person in the last three seasons (New Hampshire game in 2011, Towson playoff game in 2011, and Central Connecticut State yesterday).

P.S. I also saw the Lafayette/Sacred Heart game in person, so I saw two games decided on the final play in the same day. That doesn't happen too often.

Pard4Life
September 8th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Same here chip; was at both games yesterday.

And the philosophy of the programs were on full display and was ultimately responsible for the ending: LU gets creative and aggressive early and overcomes... LC stubborn until its too late.

NEC teams look pretty good... Wagner performance at EWU not an aberration.

CHIP72
September 8th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Pard4Life - I know you mentioned this in the Lafayette/Sacred Heart game thread, but I agree that the Leopards were way too conservative with their play-calling on those two possessions in the 2nd quarter where they got down to the 1 yard line both times and scored a total of 3 points. If you ask me, try a play-action pass or some sort of deceptive stretch play at least once on those two possessions.

aceinthehole
September 8th, 2013, 12:19 PM
That was CCSU's 5th consecutive non-conference game vs. a top-20 opponent.

Sep. 7, 2013 - at#19 Lehigh
Aug. 31, 2013 - at #15 James Madison
Sep. 15, 2012 - at #18 New Hampshire
Sep. 8, 2012 - vs. #14 Lehigh
Sep. 1, 2012 - at #17 Stony Brook

aceinthehole
September 9th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Coach Mac was a great interview after the game - I'll try to throw some of that stuff in my pieces over the next day and a half, I'm hoping. He has strong Lehigh Valley ties. I think CCSU is going to win some games this year, Holloman was scary good, and I mean that sincerely.

From Groller's blog:

I learned after the game that CCSU coach Jeff McInerney has strong ties to the area. His grandfather worked at Bethlehem Steel. His parents went to Wilson High School and his father graduated from Moravian.

A CCSU alum, and good friend, owns the Braveheart Pub right next door to Lehigh in Hellertown.

"I love this area," McInerney said. "I know who Coach Whitehead is and I was here at the Lehigh-New Hampshire playoff game in 1975 as a kid. I played at Slippery Rock and after Lehigh won the national championship [in 1977], my first game in college was here against Lehigh. I was here holding the chains as a redshirt freshman. As a young guy who wanted to be a coach I was just staring at Coach Whitehead. I have a lot of good memories of Lehigh and this area."
http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/2013/09/the-good-and-bad-from-saturdays-lehigh-win-over-central-connecticut-state.html

Lehigh'98
September 9th, 2013, 09:25 AM
From Groller's blog:

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/2013/09/the-good-and-bad-from-saturdays-lehigh-win-over-central-connecticut-state.html

Nice, Braveheart pub is a great little sports bar. Go there to watch Lafayette lose after the Lehigh games.

PAllen
September 9th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Good comeback win for the Mountain Hawks against CCSU, and obviously an exciting finish too. Lehigh's run defense was terrible though - how many times did CCSU get good yardage up the middle because they pushed around the Lehigh defense, or had a running play bounce outside for good yardage? On a more positive note, I was amazed by how quickly Lehigh scored their three touchdowns in the 4th quarter after they trailed 37-17 with 10 1/2 minutes left. I think all three possessions took less than a minute.

Because of where I live (Washington, DC area) I don't get a chance to see Lehigh play live too often, but I've now seen three crazy Lehigh games in person in the last three seasons (New Hampshire game in 2011, Towson playoff game in 2011, and Central Connecticut State yesterday).

P.S. I also saw the Lafayette/Sacred Heart game in person, so I saw two games decided on the final play in the same day. That doesn't happen too often.

Might have been less than a minute combined. I think one was 7 seconds and the other 11 or so. I agree that LU offense looked good once they woke up. That said, if CCSU doesn't go ultra conservative in the 4th, they win easily. What I saw on Saturday was not a top 25 team. JMHO.

Mr. C
September 9th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Might have been less than a minute combined. I think one was 7 seconds and the other 11 or so. I agree that LU offense looked good once they woke up. That said, if CCSU doesn't go ultra conservative in the 4th, they win easily. What I saw on Saturday was not a top 25 team. JMHO.
I would argue from watching the CCSU coverage from up top on those long touchdown passes that it was more busted coverage than Lehigh coming up with spectacular plays. Now the passes had to be on the money, but that was abysmal defense with a lead like CCSU had.

Mr. C
September 9th, 2013, 11:34 AM

It happens to this writer more often than you think. The past two times I've been at Lehigh have ended in last-play, overtime thrillers, with the officials blowing an overtime end zone call both times.