PDA

View Full Version : Nealy, Back in San Marcos after Canada Stint

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2006, 11:56 AM
From the TexSt-San Marcos student fishwrap, the University Star. Seems Nealy is weighing options now. Calgary wants him to come up there and compete for the starting job next year, but Nealy wants to take care of his degree without letting go of his goals of being a professional football player...

Homesick Nealy back after stint in Canada

By Nathan Brooks
The University Star

What a difference a year makes in the life of Barrick Nealy.

A year ago, Nealy was on the field orchestrating one of the greatest seasons in Bobcat football history. Now he sits in the stands, watching as his former teammates lose a 14-13 heartbreaker to Northern Colorado.

“That was a tough loss,” Nealy said. “But man, it feels good to be back in San Marcos. I’m just glad I’m back home.”

Saturday night, Nealy returned to the same place where he led Texas State to a Southland Conference Championship and playoff run that the university and the San Marcos community will never forget.

After last season’s offensive performance, which earned him the 2005 SLC Player of the Year award, most assumed Nealy was on his way to NFL success, following in the footsteps of former Bobcat greats like Ricky Sanders and Reggie Rivers.

However, the road to professional football has not been easy for Nealy. After going un-drafted in the 2006 NFL Draft, Nealy signed a free agent contract with the Minnesota Vikings as a wide receiver but was released from the squad right before the start of summer camp.

“It was just one of those deals where you have 14 receivers and you have one guy who has all the size and ability but has never played the position before,” Nealy said. “In training camp, they don’t have time to coach and that’s what I needed at that position.”

http://star.txstate.edu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1918

slycat
September 19th, 2006, 08:26 PM
im happy to see that nealy wants to get his degree and that he still has options in the cfl.

best of luck to him.