PDA

View Full Version : 16 I-AAers Viewed as Draft Likely for 2007

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Currently, there are 16 I-AA players that are viewed as picks in the seven-round NFL draft from the source I use for all my NFL draft information...

There's a few also listed as seventh round or FA, but these are the ones clearly in the seven rounds...

CB Travarous Bain, Hampton - 2nd or 3rd
ILB Justin Durant, Hampton - 3rd
WR Laurent Robinson, Illinois St - 4th
WR David Ball, New Hampshire - 4th
WR Henry Tolbert, Grambling - 4th or 5th
TE Ben Patrick, Delaware - 4th or 5th
DE Martin Jackson, Alcorn St - 4th or 5th
RB Alonzo Coleman, Hampton - 5th
QB Justin Rascati, James Madison - 5th or 6th
RB Alvin Banks, James Madison - 5th or 6th
SS Chad Nkang, Elon - 6th
CB Calvin Bannister, Hampton - 6th or 7th
ILB Zak DeOssie, Brown - 7th
TE Jonathan Allen, Norfolk St - 7th
P Christian Koegel, UMass - 7th
RB Clifton Dawson, Harvard - 7th

AppGuy04
September 19th, 2006, 11:50 AM
I think Ball and Nkang will go higher

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2006, 11:53 AM
I think Ball and Nkang will go higher

It's much too early to truly rate individuals. I think this information may have been based off of last year. Could never track down a date as hardly any players have updated information. We'll see lots of moving once the seasons end and the sessions for scouts and pro workouts really begin...

MACHIAVELLI
September 19th, 2006, 12:36 PM
What is Balls 40 time and vertical?

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2006, 12:37 PM

Showing a 4.59 for his 40 time...no clue on vertical...

GannonFan
September 19th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Ball will be a real interesting pick - he won't be anywhere close to other top WR's in terms of physical attributes like speed - he should have a good vertical though as he was (and still is?) a top class high jumper. You look at a Brian Finneran who came out of nova (I think he won the Payton Award his senior year) and he's not as gifted physically as Ball and he's managed to stay in the NFL for about 8 years now and before he got hurt in preseason he was the Falcons top WR. Not bad, and I think Ball is better than he was.

TigerFan17
September 19th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Ball is said to have more game speed than 40 speed.

His 40 time is less than impressive.

Unsure of his vertical, but I know its very, very high...I believe he was a high jumper at some point in his life.

UNHFan99
September 19th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Ball's vertical is in the high 30's. along the lines of 37 to 40 inches. This is only a guess and going off of what he tested as a sophmore. It might even be higher. All I know is I have never seen a more impressive jumper on the basketball court. He can do any dunk you can think of.

seantaylor
September 19th, 2006, 10:18 PM
John Mohring will be drafted fairly high.

R.A.
September 19th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Hampton's loaded. They might win a playoff game or two, if they can get there...

ASU Kep
September 19th, 2006, 10:48 PM
No Murrell?

grizband
September 19th, 2006, 11:38 PM
If Lex Hilliard had not been hurt this year, do you think he would have been drafted?

Tod
September 19th, 2006, 11:49 PM
If Lex Hilliard had not been hurt this year, do you think he would have been drafted?

Maybe. It would depend on his stats, etc. I think he has the reputation, I think he has the strength. But who knows for sure? He would have almost assuradly been given the chance, even as a FA. And he will, if his injury heals properly.

He'll have his day. :thumbsup:

mtgrizfan4life
September 20th, 2006, 01:47 AM
To bad LEX got hurt. I see him very similar to Adrian Peterson. I think LEX would have been drafted in the 5th or 6th round. If Swogger shows well, he may have a chance because of his arm. Most of Montana's NFL hopeful are underclassmen. The next few years, LEX, Reggie Bradshaw, Craig Chambers, Eric Allen, JD Quinn, Tyler Joyce all have outside shots. Hard to see both Bradshaw and Hilliard getting enough touches as SR's to both get noticed, that is hard at 1A let alone 1AA. I wish each and every 1AA the best in the nfl, I love seeing these guys make good.

youwouldno
September 20th, 2006, 02:16 AM
Mohring won't be drafted. Murrell is too small, he'll have to move to LB so he'll go as a free agent.

Mr. C
September 20th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Mohring won't be drafted. Murrell is too small, he'll have to move to LB so he'll go as a free agent.
I'm surprised that Murrell isn't getting more attention. For one thing, his brother Adrian was a RB in the NFL for 10 years and played with the Jets, Cardinals, Redskins and Cowboys, so Marques has some connections that most players don't have coming out. Saying Murrell is too small is silly. He is listed at 6-2, 245, a similar size to Jason Hunter, who made the Green Bay Packers at 6-4, 235 as a defensive end. He could play DE, or could be switched to LB, but there are DEs in the NFL who are his size. He has room to put on more weight, too, without losing any of his speed. It doesn't matter too much if you are a sixth, or seventh round pick, or a free agent and if you are a free agent, you might get yourself with a team that you have a better chance to make.

Some other surprises from your list: where is Patrick Bugg of Eastern Kentucky at TE? There are two TEs listed, including Ben Patrick from Delaware, who isn't that highly regarded among I-AA circles (certainly not as an offensive weapon). Patrick received little talk in the preseason when we were compiling our All-American team.

Clifton Dawson is an interesting case. He might be wise to head to Canada. Being that he is Canadian (from the Toronto area), he would not count against CFL teams as a foreign players (they can use only so many of those). I believe the Toronto Argonauts hold rights to him after the 2006 CFL Draft (Dawson redshirted a year after leaving Northwestern for Harvard as a freshman). Dawson, who has the versatility and size to run inside, the speed to go outside and is a very good receiver, could make a ton of money in the CFL over the long haul.

I was shocked to see two of JMU's players, Alvin Banks and Justin Rascati, on this list. Banks may be playing himself out of a serious NFL look. He has also been quite injury prone in his JMU career. Rascati is known for his decision making and he has the physical attributes, including some ability to run. But I've seen him twice in person (in the I-AA title game in 2004 and again this year in Boone and there just seems to be something missing that would take him to the next level. In the senior class, I've been much more impressed with Jon Grant of UC Davis than Rascati. This really isn't a very good class for I-AA QBs.

I could see John Mohring of Georgia Southern signing as a free agent. Love the fact this kid's motor is always running. I could also see Jayson Foster making an NFL, or CFL team as a kick returner, even though he is so small.

On David Ball, whoever is smart enough to pick him will be getting an absolute gem. I wouldn't be surprised to see some smart GM pick him a little higher to make sure his team gets Ball. He might not have the physical attributes, but he will get the job done when he gets to the NFL. High draft choice, or not, Ball will be a star in the NFL.

Mr. C
September 20th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Hampton's loaded. They might win a playoff game or two, if they can get there...

No doubt Hampton has some great individual talent (I really like Durrant and Coleman) and I would be SHOCKED if they lose the MEAC auto-bid. But they have had this talent for the past two years and haven't won a playoff game. Saying they could go to the semifinals this year is wild. They might win one game, if they get the right matchup (most likely they will draw a team like Richmond, again, from the A-10, or Furman from the SoCon), but even that will be a difficult task. Probably their toughest opponent in the regular season will be Grambling and the Pirates were extremely fortunate to win that game against a Tiger squad that is now 0-3. Teams like Delaware State (who I have seen play this season), South Carolina State (saw them last year) and Bethune-Cookman (saw them last year) don't look like playoff-caliber teams to me. The Pirates need to schedule tougher non-conference opponents than Central State.

MACHIAVELLI
September 20th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Hampy didn't schedule Central, the promoter of the Circle City Classic did. Isn't this thread about draft worthy AA's?

HIU 93
September 20th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Hampy didn't schedule Central, the promoter of the Circle City Classic did. Isn't this thread about draft worthy AA's?

You're right on both counts- so back to the draft. Alonzo Coleman is my homeboy and all, so I am truly a fan, but he is too injury prone and too small (although he did put on some weight over the summer) to be drafted. However, I think that may help him. He'll be in a better position to make a team and sign for more money as an undrafted free agent RB than a lower round RB. Now Durant and Bain are ready for prime time, and I think anything less than RD 3 would be a gross oversight of the teams that pass on them.

UNH 40
September 20th, 2006, 12:20 PM

I believe his forty time is about 4.6 the which is the same as Jerry Rice had coming out of MVSU. I think that the forty time is used to much as a grading tool amoung scouts and NFL coaches. What I would want to know is if a player is competitively fast, and do they play fast on the field. Ball has both of those attributes. The routes he runs are impecable, when he gets a step on you he seldom reliquishes it, and he has better hands than anyone in college football. I believe his vertical is 39 1/2 but when he is moving he can out jump most NBA players. If you have ever seen him dunk a Basketball you know what I mean he is 6'2" tall and his head at times is even with the rim, thats elevation homes. Personally I think that he is a mid to late second rounder, but he probably won't get the respect he deserves.

Mr. C
September 20th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Someone else brought up the subject of Hampton winning a couple of playoff games this year in this thread. I was just responding to them.

Mr. C
September 20th, 2006, 02:15 PM
You're right on both counts- so back to the draft. Alonzo Coleman is my homeboy and all, so I am truly a fan, but he is too injury prone and too small (although he did put on some weight over the summer) to be drafted. However, I think that may help him. He'll be in a better position to make a team and sign for more money as an undrafted free agent RB than a lower round RB. Now Durant and Bain are ready for prime time, and I think anything less than RD 3 would be a gross oversight of the teams that pass on them.
Coleman has a lot of respect among NFL scouts. He could indeed get drafted, from what I heard.

slostang
September 20th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Mr. C, what do you think Courtney Brown's (CB Cal Poly) chances are at getting drafted? He is 6'2" and can run and has great coverage skills. Also what about Kyle Shotwell?

mtgrizfan4life
September 20th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Does anyone have any scouting websites or publications that shows a list of Montana Grizzlies being projected to make the NFL or being kept an eye on by the NFL? Any feedback such as names, sites, and publications would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

GSUSpider
September 20th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Mr. C,
What do you think about Adam Goloboski, the LB from Richmond? You seem to have the inside scoop on I-AA prospects for the next level so I thought I'd ask.

polyfanman
September 20th, 2006, 09:56 PM
I think that list is forgetting Courtney Brown, Chris White, and Kyle shotwell.. probably others like Chicoine... Cal Poly has had a numerous amount of NFL scouts at practice watching them... especially courtney, he'll go high in the draftwith the NFL looking for taller cornerbacks to match up with todays taller WRs

Mr. C
September 21st, 2006, 01:12 AM
Mr. C,
What do you think about Adam Goloboski, the LB from Richmond? You seem to have the inside scoop on I-AA prospects for the next level so I thought I'd ask.
I like what I've seen of Goloboski, but I haven't heard anything from anyone about him. I'll ask someone I know this weekend and see what I can find out.

September 21st, 2006, 01:26 AM
I like what I've seen of Goloboski, but I haven't heard anything from anyone about him. I'll ask someone I know this weekend and see what I can find out.Hanging out with Josh again huh? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Folks, this is all pie in the sky unless someone wants to fess up.

Mr. C
September 21st, 2006, 10:25 AM
Hanging out with Josh again huh? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Folks, this is all pie in the sky unless someone wants to fess up.
You're cruel. :D xlolx :nod:

This stuff is still interesting to talk about sometimes and we all like seeing the I-AA stars continue playing professionally.

PaladinFan
September 22nd, 2006, 03:46 PM
I am no draft guru, but if Furman's William Freeman was left home on draft day, so too will be John Morhing. I think linebackers are fickle as many NFL lbs are converted ends (see guys like David Pollack).

seantaylor
September 22nd, 2006, 05:43 PM
Mohring will be a safety in the NFL. Think Adam Archuletta.

youwouldno
September 22nd, 2006, 06:00 PM
Mohring will be a safety in the NFL. Think Adam Archuletta.

lol. I doubt it. I root for all I-AA players in terms of getting a shot in the NFL but Mohring just isn't a pro-caliber player. He's a tweener... not athletic enough for SS (especially because cover 2 schemes are so popular now) and too small for LB.

UNHknowledge
September 22nd, 2006, 06:20 PM
Currently, there are 16 I-AA players that are viewed as picks in the seven-round NFL draft from the source I use for all my NFL draft information...

There's a few also listed as seventh round or FA, but these are the ones clearly in the seven rounds...

I don't like being a hater but Alvin Banks is definitly not an NFL draft pick. I've played against him and I've played against at least 10 other backs in the A10 and other non-conference games that are much better. I don't even know if he's the best back on his team let alone an NFLer. I've never played against Dawson from Harvard but I would expect him to be higher than 7th especially if Banks is 5th.

UNHknowledge
September 22nd, 2006, 06:30 PM
NFL likes bigger backs (Brandon Jacobs)...especially if you are coming from I-AA. Even Westbrook had a lot of skeptics in the NFL before he got his shot just because of his size. You need to have size coming from I-AA like Montell Owens (Maine) and Justin Green (Montana) if you want to fill a roster spot. JMU's Banks has no shot and a guy like Dawson (Harvard) needs to make scouts eye's pop open with quickness if he wants to stick around.

skinny_uncle
September 22nd, 2006, 08:00 PM
The absence of Arkee Whitlock from the list baffles me. Why would the best running back in IAA be ignored?
:confused:

UNHknowledge
September 22nd, 2006, 10:17 PM
The absence of Arkee Whitlock from the list baffles me. Why would the best running back in IAA be ignored?

I agree. Well maybe not best in I-AA but should for sure be on this list.

Mr. C
September 23rd, 2006, 12:47 AM
Jerry Kill, who has coached a number of NFL backs (Brandon Jacobs is one I know off the top of my head), says that Arkee Whitlock is an NFL-caliber RB. I'll take Kill's word for it, plus Whitlock was the best back I saw all of last season. He had almost 100 yards in the playoff game with Appalachian State, on a day when he had almost NO blocking. He was doing it all on his own.

mtgrizfan4life
September 23rd, 2006, 01:45 AM
Do these publications ever watch IAA football east of the Mississippi? Hard to believe there is not one nfl caliber player on that list from west of the mississippi river.

seantaylor
September 23rd, 2006, 03:01 AM
lol. I doubt it. I root for all I-AA players in terms of getting a shot in the NFL but Mohring just isn't a pro-caliber player. He's a tweener... not athletic enough for SS (especially because cover 2 schemes are so popular now) and too small for LB.

You are insane. He runs a 4.5. He will be a safety in the league. BTW, Sean Taylor runs a 4.6.

BEAR
September 23rd, 2006, 06:42 AM
UCA WR Aaron Fairooz 6-6 218 Sr. and Jacob Ford DE 6-5 252 Sr are both being sought after by several NFL scouts. I attended a practice and a scout from NO said he was intently watching 2 defenders and 1 WR. I named those two and he said exactly. Ford is a beast and Fairooz is the prototypical WR for the NFL these days. They will both get drafted high, my prediction is 3rd or 4th rounds. But who knows.

JMU2004
September 23rd, 2006, 10:00 AM
hate to say it, but I agree about Banks. He is always injured, so its tough to know how good he could be...... but if you are always injured while playing in I-AA, then you will be in the hospital once you get to the NFL

rcny46
September 23rd, 2006, 09:15 PM
Ball is said to have more game speed than 40 speed.

His 40 time is less than impressive.

Unsure of his vertical, but I know its very, very high...I believe he was a high jumper at some point in his life.

I believe his high jump best in HS was 6'9''.

mtgrizfan4life
September 23rd, 2006, 10:45 PM
Swogger was unreal today, stats look very normal. However, the ball was spread out well and he did fire 3 TDS, one to each of our top wrs: Eric Allen, Craig Chambers, and Ryan Bagley. If Swogger stays healthy he may get 30 tds. This guy does have an NFL arm, and I would not suggest any team stacking 8 players to stop the run. Swogger, Allen, Chambers, and Bagley will kill most any match up. WSU did let its best QB get away, and I thank them for that.

G.S.Green
September 24th, 2006, 04:10 AM

Bain and Durrant are legitimate top round candidates. They both have the requisite size and speed to get the job done.

Coleman has the infamous potential tag associated with him and that is not all that good considering he has missed parts of three games this year alone. I could see someone labeling him as a 3rd down back for which he will never be able to shake.

Bannister is a gamer but his is going in the wrong direction. Regardless of his physical skills and vertical jump, he is still 5’8” on a good day and giving up about 7” on average to top flight NFL receivers.
:twocents:

DavisAggie
October 3rd, 2006, 02:28 PM
Elliot Vallejo OL 6-7 315 SR. Late rounds but he'll be drafted next year.

majorbta
October 12th, 2006, 12:44 PM
One of the most under utilized players this season on ASU's squad that I think has the skill to play in the pros is Daniel Bettis, TE.

blackfordpu
October 12th, 2006, 10:13 PM

The announcers for the game last week seem to think that Michael Malone is an NFL prospect. Is this not so?

Mr. C
October 12th, 2006, 10:20 PM
The announcers for the game last week seem to think that Michael Malone is an NFL prospect. Is this not so?
Malone is a burner as a kick returner, but hasn't done much else. His track speed will probably get him a look as a free agent.

BEAR
October 15th, 2006, 09:22 PM
UCA #11 Jacob Ford DE 6-5 252 Sr. Memphis, Tenn. Holmes CC

He's the nightmare for Ill.state. He's the commander, the offensive players worst fear. He's going high in the draft and well worth the jack they will pay for him! He's got field smarts, agility, ability and all around fire in his belly. I gaurantee that New Orleans will pick this guy up. He's the real deal. Fairooz is the other pick.

smallcollegefbfan
October 15th, 2006, 11:10 PM

Bain is overrated. Jackson of Alcorn won't get drafted. He is having a bad year. DeOssie, Dawson are both underrated. I doubt Allen gets drafted and I doubt Rascati goes that high. I think Tolbert is overrated too. I would have though 6th-7th round.

Koegel is not better than Simonhoff IMO. Simonhoff has many troubles that Koegel doesn't go through like poor snapping, poor blocking, etc.

mcveyrl
October 20th, 2006, 10:33 AM
I agree about Banks. He's a great running back, when he's not injured, which is more often than not. I would like to see him against Richmond's D, but who knows if that will happen. Was it just me, or was Tony Lezotte not on that list. I thought he was regarded highly.

GannonFan
October 20th, 2006, 11:18 AM
I agree about Banks. He's a great running back, when he's not injured, which is more often than not. I would like to see him against Richmond's D, but who knows if that will happen. Was it just me, or was Tony Lezotte not on that list. I thought he was regarded highly.

I doubt Lezotte is going to leave college early - this was, I believe, about college seniors or those likely to enter the draft.

mcveyrl
October 20th, 2006, 12:16 PM
You don't think he'll leave early?? Kidding. It just seems like he's been there four years (I did see him listed on some other message board...)

So, it was just me.

th0m
October 22nd, 2006, 06:37 PM
What about Corey Davis? Is his stock as an NFL prospect just coaches talk, or any truth to it? Do people think he will get drafted?

JMU2004
October 23rd, 2006, 04:16 PM
Corey Davis will get a shot as an OG