PDA

View Full Version : Don't like opening against a BCS team

woffordgrad94
August 18th, 2013, 10:04 PM
I like it when it is like last year and we play the money game at the end of the schedule. Teams are always fired up for their season opener no matter who it is against and they will definitely be more fired up about playing Wofford at Baylor now than they would be in November. And they have had all summer to study and prepare for our offense rather than just a week. Plus if an injury occurs against a bigger team now it could affect our conference title hopes. And it 's a bummer to start 0-1 too.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 18th, 2013, 10:07 PM
I like it when it is like last year and we play the money game at the end of the schedule. Teams are always fired up for their season opener no matter who it is against and they will definitely be more fired up about playing Wofford at Baylor now than they would be in November. And they have had all summer to study and prepare for our offense rather than just a week. Plus if an injury occurs against a bigger team now it could affect our conference title hopes. And it 's a bummer to start 0-1 too.

Disagree. We get Kansas State and I am pumped to see that. Friday night debut on Fox Sports 1.

NDSU may end up 0-1 at the end but they are going to leave a hell of a mark.

SUPharmacist
August 18th, 2013, 10:11 PM
My preference is earlier. It's a great way to motivate the team, and if they are going to lay an egg against an FBS team I would prefer to get it out of the way.

gumby013
August 18th, 2013, 10:17 PM
I posted this earlier today, and it seems to fit.

http://purecfr.com/the-best-of-fcs-ndsu-simulation/

Also, I ran Wofford @ Baylor based on 2012 results. Wofford has a projected winning percentage of 6.42% when playing in Waco.

Nickels
August 18th, 2013, 10:23 PM
You never know. Any given Saturday.

We had Baylor beat (20-10 first half) but blew it with stupid turnovers. They eventually went no-huddle and started throwing fades to their super talented receivers every play. We couldn't keep from getting burned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StsWuzx2GJs

eaglewraith
August 18th, 2013, 11:43 PM
In Wofford's case, it is definitely a bad thing this is the opener. You guys have way too many questions circling around your team with what you've lost. Really need a confidence booster to get the season kicked off, but instead you have a trial by fire.

If it's any consolation, I don't think Baylor really has a defense so that might help.

HailSzczur
August 18th, 2013, 11:55 PM
Playing a traditional rival again in an alumni rich, yet often untapped area..... I'm all for it.

And the last few years with Temple we've been staying local and playing a team 20 miles away, that is already a rival in other sports, in order to claim city bragging rights. All for that too

gumby013
August 19th, 2013, 04:44 AM
Playing a traditional rival again in an alumni rich, yet often untapped area..... I'm all for it.

And the last few years with Temple we've been staying local and playing a team 20 miles away, that is already a rival in other sports, in order to claim city bragging rights. All for that too

Ran the simulations and Villanova wins 26.29% @ Boston College. Pretty good chances if I say so.

DJKyR0
August 19th, 2013, 06:03 AM
And it 's a bummer to start 0-1 too.

Then go out and friggin' win it. The players most certainly don't have a defeatist attitude.

Tribe4SF
August 19th, 2013, 06:19 AM
I like the BCS game to open. Find out early if your team looks good. Motivates kids during camp as opposed to playing a weak OOC game.

TheRevSFA
August 19th, 2013, 06:50 AM
You never know. Any given Saturday.

We had Baylor beat (20-10 first half) but blew it with stupid turnovers. They eventually went no-huddle and started throwing fades to their super talented receivers every play. We couldn't keep from getting burned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StsWuzx2GJs

Big game Bell showed up in the second half

TTUEagles
August 19th, 2013, 06:55 AM
If the old cliche' really is true that you improve the most from game 1 to game 2, then I would rather play the FBS game first. Would certainly rather play Wisconsin first rather than Cumberland (for TTU this year - we have CU f/b Wisc).

813Jag
August 19th, 2013, 07:28 AM
I'd rather play that game first, you'll (usually) have a healthy and motivated team, Later in the season who knows how the chips fall.

Smitty
August 19th, 2013, 07:32 AM
All I hope for is no injuries when playing the bigger teams. We have Middle Tennessee first followed by Virginia Tech, so hopefully we can avoid those and be able to start conference play

Tribal
August 19th, 2013, 07:36 AM
I like the BCS game to open. Find out early if your team looks good. Motivates kids during camp as opposed to playing a weak OOC game.

And, as it is this season with WVU, the BCS team may trot out several young guys who are prone to make mistakes. The BCS team may try new schemes. All of this works in the FCS team's favor.

CHIP72
August 19th, 2013, 08:45 AM
A few thoughts:

1) There are more unknowns for teams in their season openers than in any other game. IMO, the season opener is when a weaker or lower level team has the best chance to pull an upset, especially when the higher level team is ranked/highly regarded and does not perceive the lower level team as a major threat.

2) Many Division I-A teams, especially those in the BCS conferences, have very few openings for non-conference games in October or November, unless the game is against a traditional rival (like Florida/Florida State or Clemson/South Carolina). It may be difficult for a BCS conference team to schedule a Division I-AA team late in the season. (Having said that, the huge number of Division I-A teams means that there will probably be a small number of them who do have a slot for a non-conference game in a given week late in the season.)

3) I may be wrong, but the "money" games not only help sustain Division I-AA football programs, but those schools' entire athletic programs. Playing those games earlier in the season allows Division I-AA football teams to get some money during the fall sports season for their entire athletic programs. (Many of those same schools can then play money games in basketball to help sustain their athletic programs during the winter and spring sports seasons.)

bonarae
August 19th, 2013, 09:07 AM
I'd rather play that game first, you'll (usually) have a healthy and motivated team, Later in the season who knows how the chips fall.

I agree with you.

A few thoughts:

1) There are more unknowns for teams in their season openers than in any other game. IMO, the season opener is when a weaker or lower level team has the best chance to pull an upset, especially when the higher level team is ranked/highly regarded and does not perceive the lower level team as a major threat.

2) Many Division I-A teams, especially those in the BCS conferences, have very few openings for non-conference games in October or November, unless the game is against a traditional rival (like Florida/Florida State or Clemson/South Carolina). It may be difficult for a BCS conference team to schedule a Division I-AA team late in the season. (Having said that, the huge number of Division I-A teams means that there will probably be a small number of them who do have a slot for a non-conference game in a given week late in the season.)

3) I may be wrong, but the "money" games not only help sustain Division I-AA football programs, but those schools' entire athletic programs. Playing those games earlier in the season allows Division I-AA football teams to get some money during the fall sports season for their entire athletic programs. (Many of those same schools can then play money games in basketball to help sustain their athletic programs during the winter and spring sports seasons.)

#1 - Yes, it's in the first games of the season where consistency of the lineups can start to be measured, ending around the start of conference play.

#2 - OK, it's not FBS-FCS, but why did Salve Regina schedule CCSU in the first place, and who had an opening first? Was it only after they exhausted the search for appropriate opponents? xchinscratchx

#3 - This is true for some schools only. The HBCU's still have their "Classics" for the same reason, I believe.

Hammerhead
August 19th, 2013, 10:54 AM
I'd rather play an FBS school in the first week or two and get all of the non-conference games out of the way first.

blueballs
August 19th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Mike Sewak told me he loved having UGA as the first game in 2004 because the team was extra motivated during informal voluntary OTA's and fall camp.

SUPharmacist
August 19th, 2013, 11:49 AM
All I hope for is no injuries when playing the bigger teams. We have Middle Tennessee first followed by Virginia Tech, so hopefully we can avoid those and be able to start conference play

If you subscribe to the theory that injuries are more likely against BCS foes (I don't), I would still prefer to play them early. Learn how to adjust to the injuries over the year, as opposed to losing a star right before the playoffs.

CID1990
August 19th, 2013, 11:57 AM
And it 's a bummer to start 0-2 too.

FIFY

Lehigh Football Nation
August 19th, 2013, 12:02 PM
#2 - OK, it's not FBS-FCS, but why did Salve Regina schedule CCSU in the first place, and who had an opening first? Was it only after they exhausted the search for appropriate opponents? xchinscratchx

I'm pretty sure CCSU was out of options before Salve Regina was added. Hopefully our favorite CCSU poster will chime in here.

Bisonator
August 19th, 2013, 12:45 PM
I agree with most here, better to play them early. Guys are motivated through out spring ball, summer work and fall camp. They are concentrating more in anticipation for the opener against KSU. Just a fun way to start a new year off! xnodx

SpeedkingATL
August 19th, 2013, 12:59 PM
I always enjoy playing an FBS team early in the year. Hated playing the FBS game right before the playoffs as there is a little more danger of team getting injuries or just getting beat up if it's against a top tier SEC type team. That said with no playoffs available to App this year I love playing UGA late in the year as it's as close to a playoff/bowl game as the Apps will get this year. Montana is a sweet opener too and I wish more top FCS teams played top out of conference teams early in the year. Would have loved to have seen a SoCon vs. CAA challenge when both conferences were at their peak a few years ago. That would have been some great matchups.

catbob
August 19th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Earlier is better.

If you lose (likely whenever), it is better to lose early in the season so you can climb back up the polls if you drop from the loss.

Plus I feel that is the best time to have a chance at an upset - most FBS teams are using you as a tune-up game, and they might still be rusty or working things out. Better then than later in the year when they are a well-oiled machine.

walliver
August 19th, 2013, 02:08 PM
I like starting the season with the BCS team for several reasons:
1) It feels like more of an exhibition game than a real loss
2) It gets the probable loss out of the way and doesn't leave it hanging out there when discussing playoff opportunities.
3) It eliminates a potential bad loss right before Selection Sunday.

The down side is that younger players may get a baptism by fire in their first game.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 19th, 2013, 02:31 PM
If you subscribe to the theory that injuries are more likely against BCS foes (I don't), I would still prefer to play them early. Learn how to adjust to the injuries over the year, as opposed to losing a star right before the playoffs.

I saw a study a few years back on this very issue and it's just something that gets passed around that you are more likely to sustain injuries in those play up games. It was false, the tendency was the same whether playing up or playing down. Well basically the same, I think there was a slightly higher rate of knee injury when playing down.

Even it wasn't the case I'd subscribe to your logic anyway.

Sitting Bull
August 19th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Early is best.

The FBS team is already going to have all the natural advantages. By late in the season, most everyone has made adjustments to their weaknesses.

In all the FCS "upsets" I can remember, they were always early. I can't remember one that came late in the season.

Noticed the SEC has now, almost unilaterally, placed many of these games at the end of their schedules, a tune- up of sorts before their season ending rivalry games.

SUPharmacist
August 19th, 2013, 05:44 PM
I always enjoy playing an FBS team early in the year. Hated playing the FBS game right before the playoffs as there is a little more danger of team getting injuries or just getting beat up if it's against a top tier SEC type team. That said with no playoffs available to App this year I love playing UGA late in the year as it's as close to a playoff/bowl game as the Apps will get this year. Montana is a sweet opener too and I wish more top FCS teams played top out of conference teams early in the year. Would have loved to have seen a SoCon vs. CAA challenge when both conferences were at their peak a few years ago. That would have been some great matchups.

I agree about better out of conference FCS games. It is great for the fans (especially fanbases that travel well), and helps with determining strengths of various conferences. The DOA home games are one of the things I despise about NDSU's scheduling, although they are generally balanced by a competitive FBS road game.

eaglewraith
August 19th, 2013, 05:48 PM
I saw a study a few years back on this very issue and it's just something that gets passed around that you are more likely to sustain injuries in those play up games. It was false, the tendency was the same whether playing up or playing down. Well basically the same, I think there was a slightly higher rate of knee injury when playing down.

Even it wasn't the case I'd subscribe to your logic anyway.

Or any time you play Elon if you ask App.

I agree, if you're worried about injuries, stay off the field. Injuries can happen on the most routine plays. In 2007, a player ended his career on a game winning field goal kick. Sean Gray was in for blocking (normally Fullback) and blew out his knee on a routine FG attempt. I'm sure there's plenty of other stories people could throw out there, but the idea that BCS/FBS teams are going to injure your players has no real justification.

AmsterBison
August 19th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Get the sideshow over early, I say.

Sycamore51
August 19th, 2013, 08:11 PM
Indiana State opens at IU and travels to Purdue in week 2. Neither team is a juggernaut, but it's a tall task for an FCS team to open at 2 BCS instate teams like that. In 2011 we played 2 FBS games and split, but this year may be tougher. I think Purdue is our best chance in week 2