PDA

View Full Version : Underated and overated teams in the poll

penguinpower
August 15th, 2013, 04:38 AM
Trying to avoid being a homer on this one but Villanova got a preseason ranking of # 5 (if I recall correctly) and the TSN reasoning is that they made a deep playoff run.

If that is part of the basis for such a high ranking the poll is total BS. There is no way that UNI should be ranked 17th. They should be top 10 and you will see how this season plays out. They were too young and inexperienced last year, but loaded with talent and Farley will have them back to their winning ways. No disrespect to Villanova, just making an example.

Youngstown State isn't even ranked. While there are many question marks with the Penguins, I still believe that they should be ranked above others in the poll. They are deep with talent, have a senior QB, and coach that is under pressure to perform. Last year their 0000 for October ruined their playoff chances but they finished strong. The Penguins finally have the depth that they have been lacking since regime change 3 years ago and they will be a dangerous team with a schedule that plays out well for them early. The first 4 games are basically predetermined. They should be 3-1 entering into conference play against Southern Illinois with their only loss to Michigan State ( picked by some to win their side of the B1G conference by several writers).

Missouri Valley is stacked again. If the Penguins would have been taken by the selection committee last year they probably would have gotten through at least 2 rounds based on how they were playing the last 3 games of the year. To leave them completely unranked and irrelevant is a mistake.

I still think that NDSU and UNI will be at the top of the conference followed by SDSU, Illinois State and YSU, but the order of the last 3 teams is TBD. I certainly would not want to play YSU this year. They will give teams fits.

Any other teams that are ranked too high or too low by sports network?

penguinpower
August 15th, 2013, 05:04 AM
Damn BlackBerry didn't catch the inadvertent misspelling in the title. Can someone fix this it won't let me? At least bbry is now for sale and the company will be required to get with the times once bbry is no longer supported.

Apphole
August 15th, 2013, 06:38 AM
From the SoCon I'd say Wofford is overrated and Samford and Chatty are under ratted.

PaladinFan
August 15th, 2013, 07:02 AM
From the SoCon I'd say Wofford is overrated and Samford and Chatty are under ratted.

We tend to "overrate" Wofford because they lost Britenstien. It is never easy to replace a star, but Wofford has shown pretty consistently for a while that they are a top 10 team.

pike51
August 15th, 2013, 07:32 AM
I think Wofford might be a better team without Britenstein. He seemed to be the brunt of the offense last year and if you shut him down, Wofford went down. Without him, they will possibly spread the rock a little more and become a more dynamic and dangerous offense.

mountaineer in Cane Land
August 15th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Wofford also lost their defensive coordinator of over 15 years, he is going to be hard to replace. I think they will probably lose a couple of more games than normal, got them going 8-4, and it might be Sammy's year.

MR. CHICKEN
August 15th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Trying to avoid being a homer on this one but Villanova got a preseason ranking of # 5 (if I recall correctly) and the TSN reasoning is that they made a deep playoff run.
If that is part of the basis for such a high ranking the poll is total BS. There is no way that UNI should be ranked 17th. They should be top 10 and you will see how this season plays out. They were too young and inexperienced last year, but loaded with talent and Farley will have them back to their winning ways. No disrespect to Villanova, just making an example.

Youngstown State isn't even ranked. While there are many question marks with the Penguins, I still believe that they should be ranked above others in the poll. They are deep with talent, have a senior QB, and coach that is under pressure to perform. Last year their 0000 for October ruined their playoff chances but they finished strong. The Penguins finally have the depth that they have been lacking since regime change 3 years ago and they will be a dangerous team with a schedule that plays out well for them early. The first 4 games are basically predetermined. They should be 3-1 entering into conference play against Southern Illinois with their only loss to Michigan State ( picked by some to win their side of the B1G conference by several writers).

Missouri Valley is stacked again. If the Penguins would have been taken by the selection committee last year they probably would have gotten through at least 2 rounds based on how they were playing the last 3 games of the year. To leave them completely unranked and irrelevant is a mistake.

I still think that NDSU and UNI will be at the top of the conference followed by SDSU, Illinois State and YSU, but the order of the last 3 teams is TBD. I certainly would not want to play YSU this year. They will give teams fits.

Any other teams that are ranked too high or too low by sports network?

18013.....'NOVA...LOST TA...STONY BROOK....FIRST ROUND.....LAST SEASON.........AWK!

DEY'RE RANKED #5...TA-DAY....'CAUSE VERAH YOUNG SQWAD...FROM LAST YEAR....ARE UH SEASON OLDERAH.....BRAWK!

penguinpower
August 15th, 2013, 07:53 AM
18013.....'NOVA...LOST TA...STONY BROOK....FIRST ROUND.....LAST SEASON.........AWK!

DEY'RE RANKED #5...TA-DAY....'CAUSE VERAH YOUNG SQWAD...FROM LAST YEAR....ARE UH SEASON OLDERAH.....BRAWK!

From TSN article:

"Villanova (8-4) preceded Eastern Washington with the 2009 national title. Poll voters foresee the Wildcats having another deep run in the playoffs, installing them at No. 5. Coach Andy Talley's squad also has a young standout at quarterback, John Robertson, who won the Jerry Rice Award as the FCS freshman of the year last year."

This implies that they had a deep run in the playoff last year since this is a pre-season poll based on previous year's performance. Correct?

I was not aware of the 1st round exit.....thanks Mr. Chicken

Cocky
August 15th, 2013, 07:56 AM
If our transfers workout and the new system is understood quickly JSU could turnout to be underrated. QB is still a big question mark as our planned returning starter left after being drafted in baseball.

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 15th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Villanova is completely overrated. Take away their win over ODU last year, and what do they have to show for?

Talley is a fantastic coach but I think they caught the Monarchs sleeping.

Bisonwinagn
August 15th, 2013, 08:04 AM
From TSN article:

"Villanova (8-4) preceded Eastern Washington with the 2009 national title. Poll voters foresee the Wildcats having another deep run in the playoffs, installing them at No. 5. Coach Andy Talley's squad also has a young standout at quarterback, John Robertson, who won the Jerry Rice Award as the FCS freshman of the year last year."

This implies that they had a deep run in the playoff last year since this is a pre-season poll based on previous year's performance. Correct?

NOT correct. They foresee a deep playoff run like 2009.

MR. CHICKEN
August 15th, 2013, 08:20 AM
Villanova is completely overrated. Take away their win over ODU last year, and what do they have to show for?

Talley is a fantastic coach but I think they caught the Monarchs sleeping.

18015.......OL' DIMMY...WAS COMIN' OFFAH DUH 64-61....WIN OVERAH...NEW HAMPSHIRE.....FOLLOWED BAH DUH.....45-37.......NAIL-CHOMPER....AGIN' YER..ARACHNIDS........DEN TOWSON...LOOMED AHEAD NEXT..(DUH MONARCHS WON 38-14)..AFTERAH 'NOVA.....WHO WON....38-14....MAYBE NOT A TRAP GAME......BUT UH STRETCH AS DIS SKED.....SIPHONED SOME GAS.....OUTTAH DUH BUTTERFLYS.........HOWEVERAH.......'NOVA WALTZED...THRU NEWARK.........LIKE EMMET SMITH.....ON DANCIN' WHIFF DUH STARS....AH KINDAH...BELIEVE....UH YEAR OLDERAH...AN DEY...DESERVE DUH #5...ATTENTION......BOSTON COLLEGE GAME...WILL BE AN' INDICATION....DOODLE-DOO!

Pard4Life
August 15th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Lehigh

They need to replace a starting QB with someone who has taken few snaps, an all-time PL WR, solid RB. Defensive secondary, which reaped all-PL honors, has lost five guys.

But given their cupcake schedule and reputation, which unjustifiably earns one poll points, they will probably be in the poll.

They should be RV at this point, but definitely not 17.

Nova09
August 15th, 2013, 09:15 AM
I've said since the first poll that I was surprised how high Nova was and now new polls have them even higher. I hate it, this team will definitely have some growing pains, very talented group so my hope for the season is they make the playoffs and are peaking at that point to go on a run, but suffering a loss that you "shouldn't" based on poll rankings and/or falling from the lofty starting point could have psychological impact on these kids. Oh well, veteran coaching staff should keep them focused.

blueballs
August 15th, 2013, 09:29 AM
GSU at #9 is terribly under rated. They should be ranked No lower than #3 If they are going to be ranked.

Chatty is under rated as well. There is no way that the best team in the NFL is only 20 something in FCS.

PaladinFan
August 15th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Wofford also lost their defensive coordinator of over 15 years, he is going to be hard to replace. I think they will probably lose a couple of more games than normal, got them going 8-4, and it might be Sammy's year.

Perhaps. Woody is a good defensive coordinator, but the straw that stirs the drink is Ayers. Remember, Ayers was a defensive coordinator prior to his time as head coach. He's still a defense-first guy.

I think the bigger question mark is how Woody transitions to an offense-first system in Boone with a head coach 15 years his junior rather than how Wofford is going to get on with out him.

Professor Chaos
August 15th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Cal Poly is the most underrated. I'd say the most overrated is either Illinois St or Wofford.

wapiti
August 15th, 2013, 09:43 AM
This thread is on page two and no one has said MSU is overrated yet!!!!!!
What's up with that?????

Bison56
August 15th, 2013, 09:48 AM
What's up with that?????

Thats a given. No need to post it. :D

SU DOG
August 15th, 2013, 10:03 AM
If our transfers workout and the new system is understood quickly JSU could turnout to be underrated. QB is still a big question mark as our planned returning starter left after being drafted in baseball.

After checking the bios, and realizing that Jack Crowe isn't there to screw things up, I certainly agree with Cocky. I've said on this Board before that JSU is probably the most underrated team in FCS - loaded with good athletes. I think they win the OVC in a big upset. Samford, on most polls is not in the top 25 - we should be. Most folks think our defense lost too much, but I really think it will be far better than last season. It will be faster and much more athletic. Most all the playmakers return on an offense, that admittedly, should have been more productive last year. O-line is big, quick, and has more depth this time. Excited for this season!!!

IBleedYellow
August 15th, 2013, 10:13 AM
What's up with that?????

The fact a MSU fan brought it up makes it even more sweet.

Anovafan
August 15th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Don't worry, if Nova loses to BC, they will get dropped to around 8-10. I had them in my poll at #5 as well. They should be a top 5 team with the talent they have returning. If they aren't, then the team will underachieve in my opinion. You can call me a homer, but they have a lot of talent, should be better than last year's 8-3 team and make the playoffs.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 15th, 2013, 10:49 AM
NOT correct. They foresee a deep playoff run like 2009.

Exactly, the fact it is prefaced with the "2009" seemed fairly clear it is what was being referred to.

Cocky
August 15th, 2013, 11:17 AM
After checking the bios, and realizing that Jack Crowe isn't there to screw things up, I certainly agree with Cocky. I've said on this Board before that JSU is probably the most underrated team in FCS - loaded with good athletes. I think they win the OVC in a big upset. Samford, on most polls is not in the top 25 - we should be. Most folks think our defense lost too much, but I really think it will be far better than last season. It will be faster and much more athletic. Most all the playmakers return on an offense, that admittedly, should have been more productive last year. O-line is big, quick, and has more depth this time. Excited for this season!!!

Losing Jack is the best offseason move by any team in FCS.

Silenoz
August 15th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Considering what they've lost, Illinois State

kdinva
August 15th, 2013, 11:32 AM
I'll wait until October 6th........by that time, everyone will have played five or six games.....

URMite
August 15th, 2013, 11:45 AM
From TSN article:

"Villanova (8-4) preceded Eastern Washington with the 2009 national title. Poll voters foresee the Wildcats having another deep run in the playoffs [in 2013], installing them at No. 5. Coach Andy Talley's squad also has a young standout at quarterback, John Robertson, who won the Jerry Rice Award as the FCS freshman of the year last year."

This implies that they had a deep run in the playoff last year [in 2012] since this is a pre-season poll based on previous year's performance. Correct?

This should clarify tense.

Personally, I think they are only slightly overrated. It depends on whether our victory @ Nova was typical or whether Nova's victory @ODU was typical. I think the answer lies somewhere in between.

PaladinFan
August 15th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Losing Jack is the best offseason move by any team in FCS.

But whose going to dress for Thanksgiving Dinner every Saturday at JSU?

URMite
August 15th, 2013, 11:50 AM
18015.......OL' DIMMY...WAS COMIN' OFFAH DUH 64-61....WIN OVERAH...NEW HAMPSHIRE.....FOLLOWED BAH DUH.....45-37.......NAIL-CHOMPER....AGIN' YER..ARACHNIDS........DEN TOWSON...LOOMED AHEAD NEXT..(DUH MONARCHS WON 38-14)..AFTERAH 'NOVA.....WHO WON....38-14....MAYBE NOT A TRAP GAME......BUT UH STRETCH AS DIS SKED.....SIPHONED SOME GAS.....OUTTAH DUH BUTTERFLYS.........HOWEVERAH.......'NOVA WALTZED...THRU NEWARK.........LIKE EMMET SMITH.....ON DANCIN' WHIFF DUH STARS....AH KINDAH...BELIEVE....UH YEAR OLDERAH...AN DEY...DESERVE DUH #5...ATTENTION......BOSTON COLLEGE GAME...WILL BE AN' INDICATION....DOODLE-DOO!

In the games against UD, JMU & ODU they looked like #5 against Towson & UR they looked more like #15.

SUPharmacist
August 15th, 2013, 12:02 PM
GSU underrated (if they are on the poll it needs to be placed correctly). I think UNI will move up quickly, but see no issue in making them work for it after last year.

HailSzczur
August 15th, 2013, 12:46 PM
IMO Nova should be about #10 or so right now. Definitely see top #5 potential in the team, but I'm still waiting on it. This team is basically the same team from last year, minus WR Norman White, and 2/3 of our starting Defensive Secondary. The fact of the matter is this team didn't gain it's identity as a running, option, scrambling jugernaut (just like the 2009 team) until the 2nd half of the Fordham game week 2. Before that we wanted to be a more balanced offense that spread the ball around. With a whole offense to tweak the system, I have no doubt we will be able to score in bunch. I'm slightly worried how were are going to do against the passing game, and until then I won't know for sure how good we are. In 2 of our 3 losses, our defense just got flat out dominated. Richmond was a pretty balanced game that we lost on the turnover margin (-3). Towson put up 590 yds and 7 touchdowns. SBU put up 263 rushing yards and held the ball for almost 40:00. The offense deserves at Top 5, maybe even #1 ranking. We'll see where the defense ranks.

IMO, Towson, Nova, and Richmond are gonna be in a tight race for the CAA title, and all should be somewhere from 9-15 in the rankings right now. SBU is knocking on the door in the mid to upper teens.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 15th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Personally, I think NDSU is way too low. They should be at least 5 spots above #1. I'm not sure what you would call that.

pike51
August 15th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Personally, I think NDSU is way too low. They should be at least 5 spots above #1. I'm not sure what you would call that.

Chattanooga

knucklehead
August 15th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Stony Brook is overrated, lost too much. Richmond is underrated.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 15th, 2013, 01:03 PM
Chattanooga

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/attachments/transformers-news-rumors/27319887d1347512186-beast-hunters-plans-new-beast-wars-machines-cartoon-toyline-guinness-brilliant.jpg

Apphole
August 15th, 2013, 01:04 PM
We tend to "overrate" Wofford because they lost Britenstien. It is never easy to replace a star, but Wofford has shown pretty consistently for a while that they are a top 10 team.

Losing their Woody might have a greater impact than losing EB. There are three eligible teams that have a lot less question marks IMO.

Apphole
August 15th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Perhaps. Woody is a good defensive coordinator, but the straw that stirs the drink is Ayers. Remember, Ayers was a defensive coordinator prior to his time as head coach. He's still a defense-first guy.

I think the bigger question mark is how Woody transitions to an offense-first system in Boone with a head coach 15 years his junior rather than how Wofford is going to get on with out him.
I think he'll thrive. He coached inferior athletes into a better unit than most enjoy. There might be a period of transition, but I have no doubt that Woody will produce a much better D than we ever had under Jones or Wiley.

mountaineer in Cane Land
August 15th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Paladinfan, so far, by all accounts the new defensive coordinator is adjusting well to life in Boone, he was hesitant to take the job because he worried how quickly the defensive assistant coaches would learn his system, but he said recently how surprised and happy he was that they have learned his system and are on the same page. Its early in camp, but so far, the defense has looked really good. If they keep improving they should be much better than the last couple of years, of course, not on the level of Chatt's defense, that just crazy talk to even suggest they could compete with the greatest defensive squad in the history of the FCS, but, it gives them something to shoot for.

Hammerhead
August 15th, 2013, 01:47 PM
I think that would be -4. xlolx

CID1990
August 15th, 2013, 01:57 PM
I like The Citadel right where they are. Not in the poll but receiving votes.

cmaxwellgsu
August 15th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Paladinfan, so far, by all accounts the new defensive coordinator is adjusting well to life in Boone, he was hesitant to take the job because he worried how quickly the defensive assistant coaches would learn his system, but he said recently how surprised and happy he was that they have learned his system and are on the same page. Its early in camp, but so far, the defense has looked really good. If they keep improving they should be much better than the last couple of years, of course, not on the level of Chatt's defense, that just crazy talk to even suggest they could compete with the greatest defensive squad in the history of the FCS, but, it gives them something to shoot for.

I think the biggest adjustment your new DC is going to have to make is not overcoaching. With having bigger, faster athletes than he is used to, he'll have to simplify a little and let them produce.

PaladinFan
August 15th, 2013, 02:41 PM

My gold standard for defense is still the 2003 Paladins (there may have been better ones, but I wasn't paying attention). UTC cannot hold that group's jock strap.

Hand in hand, one of my gold standards for offensive futility was the 2003 Paladins. I mean, it's not easy to go 6-5 when your defense only allows 14.1 ppg. That takes a whole other level of talent.

That aside, I think Woody will be fine in Boone. I still don't think you add a defensive coordinator and voila, your problems are solved. I do think Woody will help make App tougher on D. Still, defensive toughness is often collateral damage when you are a team that runs an uptempo spread style offense.

pike51
August 15th, 2013, 02:52 PM
My gold standard for defense is still the 2003 Paladins (there may have been better ones, but I wasn't paying attention). UTC cannot hold that group's jock strap.

Hand in hand, one of my gold standards for offensive futility was the 2003 Paladins. I mean, it's not easy to go 6-5 when your defense only allows 14.1 ppg. That takes a whole other level of talent.

That aside, I think Woody will be fine in Boone. I still don't think you add a defensive coordinator and voila, your problems are solved. I do think Woody will help make App tougher on D. Still, defensive toughness is often collateral damage when you are a team that runs an uptempo spread style offense.

You're smoking crack! The 2003 Paladin defense studied film of the 2013 UTC defense extensively! Without that film, they wouldn't have held a candle to a pop-warner team.

mountaineer in Cane Land
August 15th, 2013, 04:41 PM
good point on how an uptempo offense can cause problems for your defense. During an interview this week, SS talked about how fast he has the offense getting to the line of scrimmage, calling and running plays, and that practices are extreme high tempo. With the way he is running the practices he is putting alot of emphasis on conditioning. We might get beat by teams with superior talent (of course, Chatt, and Georgia would be a distant second, ha), but we are not going to lose games because they are in better condition.

heath
August 15th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Lehigh

They need to replace a starting QB with someone who has taken few snaps, an all-time PL WR, solid RB. Defensive secondary, which reaped all-PL honors, has lost five guys.

But given their cupcake schedule and reputation, which unjustifiably earns one poll points, they will probably be in the poll.

They should be RV at this point, but definitely not 17.

SSOOOO predictable. Just like the sun rising,a Lafayette fan WILL appear and talk about their rival.Where does this jealousy come from? Whether its being on national TV,being ranked,having players in the NFL,schedule,the bashing continues on every level.What gives Pards?Did not know you guys back in the LC good years,but were you still so consumed with Lehigh then that you lost sleep as you do now? I almost feel sorry for you guys...............Just Win Babyxthumbsupx

UNHWildcat18
August 15th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Stony Brook is overrated, lost too much. Richmond is underrated.

+1

I mentioned it back a couple threads I think Richmond is going to win the CAA so much talent back from last year and i few (were there FBS?) transfers I believe. They got jipped from playoffs and lost close games to ODU and UNH who were atop the CAA and a decent game vs virginia.

Not that I don't want UNH to win the CAA, but the defense and post season play of offense still scares me.

Engineer86
August 15th, 2013, 07:25 PM
From TSN article:

Am I missing something? "Foresee" is in the future, meaning voters expect Nova to have a deep run in the playoffs THIS year.

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 15th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Richmond is underrated. I'm glad other non Spider fans are noticing.

Richmond has a NCAA Quarterfinal caliber team if we can keep pretty good health.

Southsider
August 15th, 2013, 08:04 PM
SSOOOO predictable. Just like the sun rising,a Lafayette fan WILL appear and talk about their rival.Where does this jealousy come from? Whether its being on national TV,being ranked,having players in the NFL,schedule,the bashing continues on every level.What gives Pards?Did not know you guys back in the LC good years,but were you still so consumed with Lehigh then that you lost sleep as you do now? I almost feel sorry for you guys...............Just Win Babyxthumbsupx

Heath, where have you been? This nonsense has been spewed by P4L and others for years on this site. Just think, this Saturday night there will be 2 LU FB alums on the field in an NFL game! P4L will need therapy!

Pard4Life
August 15th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Heath, where have you been? This nonsense has been spewed by P4L and others for years on this site. Just think, this Saturday night there will be 2 LU FB alums on the field in an NFL game! P4L will need therapy!

xcoffeex Well, the bench area is technically apart of the field... technically... :D

It's preseason... I don't even know when the games are and who is playing who.

Grizalltheway
August 16th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Yes, I'm a homer, but I think UM will prove by season's end that they're much better than 21st in FCS. Although, I can understand why voters would hesitate to put a 5-6 team much higher than that.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 16th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Montana State is getting crushed by injuries. They're still a fringe Top 10 team because of the McGhee and their OL. Certainly not #2 right now...

catbob
August 16th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Montana State is getting crushed by injuries. They're still a fringe Top 10 team because of the McGhee and their OL. Certainly not #2 right now...

The biggest injury is Na'a, but I'm confident that Michael Foster will be able to hold his own. He is a talented kid who has been begging for a chance for a few years now. Na'a was primed for an all-conference season, but I think Foster is a very good LB. Cole Moore is a converted QB from high school who walked on, and is just coming into his own as a LB. Being an ex-QB he has very good ability to read the offense, is athletic, and at 6'2 220 is a bit undersized but can run around and make plays. He was splitting time with the other LB who went down for the year, Grosulak. But I think Moore is ready for full-time duty. And Alex Singleton is an absolute start in the making, in the mold of Jody Owens, but he could end up being even better...

I'm more concerned about DE depth with Gale down, but not with the quality of Gale's backup, Odin Coe. Coe is an athletic freak who is learning to play at this level, but has been injured on and off, much like Gale. He is just a RS Soph though, and I honestly think he could be the next great DE at MSU, if he can stay healthy. But behind Coe, Gale and Daly, things get thin quickly. And those three all have a history of injuries. We might have to move some people around here...

DT is athletic, but undersized. No big run cloggers like Minter this year, but the Taylors (Taylor Dees, Taylor Sheridan) are a force and Craig Ashworth is your classic small-town MT walk-on who worked his way onto scholarship and a starting role. Dees is 6'2 273, Sheridan (who many say is the strongest player on the team) is 6'3 277, and Ashworth is 6'2 276. No one above 280, concerns me against elite OL like NDSU, UM, etc. There are some young hogs here - true freshman Dallas Hayes (6'1 293), Connor Thomas (6'3 290 - scholarship revoked after trouble his senior year, spent a season away from football at a CC, back as a walk-on FR), and then Monte Folsom (6'2 290, went on a 2 year LDS mission right out of high school, and they have been trying him at LB... at 290 xholyx).

And the OL is substantially bigger than last year, but I haven't heard amazing things from them yet from camp, but we finally have enough bodies in camp, the starting line will average over 290, but they are all young (not a senior amongst them).

If the OL can open some holes running, the offense is going to be hard to stop, because we know what McGhee can do and the WR corp should be improved from last year, and more dynamic with new OC Tim Cramsey.

If the LB corp matures, the DL stays healthy, we should be a top 5 team with a bye in the playoffs again...

coover
August 16th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Yes, I'm a homer, but I think UM will prove by season's end that they're much better than 21st in FCS. Although, I can understand why voters would hesitate to put a 5-6 team much higher than that.

I will agree with Grizalltheway ... I think Montana will have a great team this year. I think the team has been fixed for 2013 and I believe that they will contend for the Big Sky championship with Montana State, Eastern Washington, Cal Poly, and (maybe) Northern Arizona. Montana will have their QB back from 2011 and he is a good one. I do believe that Montana (at home) will be the toughest FCS game this year for my guys, Cal Poly. Poly also plays Colorado State and Fresno State, so I am not saying the Montana game will be the toughest, but it just may be all of that.

Grizalltheway
August 16th, 2013, 03:49 PM
I will agree with Grizalltheway ... I think Montana will have a great team this year. I think the team has been fixed for 2013 and I believe that they will contend for the Big Sky championship with Montana State, Eastern Washington, Cal Poly, and (maybe) Northern Arizona. Montana will have their QB back from 2011 and he is a good one. I do believe that Montana (at home) will be the toughest FCS game this year for my guys, Cal Poly. Poly also plays Colorado State and Fresno State, so I am not saying the Montana game will be the toughest, but it just may be all of that.

Secondary is still a bit of a concern in my mind, but other than that, we'll be loaded with talent/speed/size at pretty much every other position. IF our coaches can get the most out of these guys, I think we'll surprise a lot of people who have doubts after last season. Either way only 2 weeks until we find out for real. xbeerchugx

bojeta
August 16th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Secondary is still a bit of a concern in my mind, but other than that, we'll be loaded with talent/speed/size at pretty much every other position. IF our coaches can get the most out of these guys, I think we'll surprise a lot of people who have doubts after last season. Either way only 2 weeks until we find out for real. xbeerchugx

Yep... Big Sky will be a meat grinder week in/out for sure. MT State, EWU, MT, N. AZ, CP, and don't forget SAC. I'm sure Davis will give team fits all year as well. Like last year, they're actually loaded with talent, but the coaching transition will probably keep them under 500 for the season. All other teams with the possible exception of Idaho State will not be giving away W's without a fight either.

Cleets
August 16th, 2013, 05:31 PM
MSU (in my opinion) isn't even the best team in the Big Sky never mind the ridiculous Poll Rating
I believe this will play itself out as such

ThompsonThe
August 16th, 2013, 09:59 PM
Believe The Citadel and Furman are under the radar.

Apphole
August 16th, 2013, 10:26 PM

How's your pass rush? If its anything but stellar and you have a weak secondary it might get ugly on opening weekend.

But hey, I'm just glad you don't have that running back that tore us up last year. That man was dominant.

mountaineer in Cane Land
August 16th, 2013, 11:26 PM
Im a homer, but Apps loaded at wide receiver, will go 7 deep, and maybe the best receiver in the FCS in Price, if the OL can provide any kind of protection, they are going to light the scoreboard up.

uofmman1122
August 17th, 2013, 12:15 AM
How's your pass rush? If its anything but stellar and you have a weak secondary it might get ugly on opening weekend.

But hey, I'm just glad you don't have that running back that tore us up last year. That man was dominant.We were #2 in all of FCS in sacks last year, and have two All-American caliber Defensive Ends returning, one of which was a true freshman last year.

Pass rush should be stellar again his year, but teams started to kill us with short drops and quick passes at the end of last year.

I doubt there's a team that will be able to rush on us this year, but that shouldn't hold you guys back that much.

Should be a great game.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 17th, 2013, 12:35 AM

But hey, I'm just glad you don't have that running back that tore us up last year. That man was dominant.

Dline is very strong and I don't think you are gonna enjoy the running game anymore than last year. The Oline and backs are deep and there is a Dan Moore style guy in Joey Counts who is not as Matured as DM was but is a punishing style, athletic runner but may or may not see mcuh of him.

All indications are that the secondary is upgraded a lot this year so we'll have to see how this all goes cuz everybody is unbeatable 2 weeks before the season starts.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 17th, 2013, 12:38 AM
We were #2 in all of FCS in sacks last year, and have two All-American caliber Defensive Ends returning, one of which was a true freshman last year.

Pass rush should be stellar again his year, but teams started to kill us with short drops and quick passes at the end of last year.

I doubt there's a team that will be able to rush on us this year, but that shouldn't hold you guys back that much.

Should be a great game.

Seems like this matchup is exactly the opposite in team style of what a Socon/Big Sky matchup would have been 10 to 15 yrs. ago.

cmaxwellgsu
August 17th, 2013, 12:52 AM
App vs. Montana is going to be for me like Alabama vs. A&M is for the rest of the country. Not having the chance to play the Grizzlies or Paladins is going to be the thing I miss most about moving up.

blueballs
August 17th, 2013, 07:23 AM
My impression of App last year was that they were very ordinary except for the one difference maker who took that team to a different level. That WR Price is a superstar, and should be in the SEC, not in FCS. To beat them you have to limit his damage.