PDA

View Full Version : NDSU Fall Camp

BisonFan02
August 3rd, 2013, 08:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypCPdfr59Vc

Media is being held out this year other than a brief 15 minute window during practice (blog link below for more info, Bohl also addresses briefly in video), but here is a quick review from Coach Bohl on day 1.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 3rd, 2013, 08:51 PM
Good job 02!

BisonFan02
August 3rd, 2013, 09:25 PM
Good job 02!

Thanks. I'm going to try to stay on top of things and post updates to this thread as the month goes along.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 3rd, 2013, 09:51 PM
Tan rested and ready, no doubt.

Southern Bison
August 3rd, 2013, 11:52 PM
Tan rested and ready, no doubt.

You yankees call that Tan? xlolx

justintyem
August 4th, 2013, 12:12 AM
Here it goes the Ol' proliferation of social media ..............

TheDHC
August 4th, 2013, 12:16 AM
I hope all FCS bros will tune into the NDSU v. Kansas State game.

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/scale_medium/12/122166/2494709-my-body-is-ready.png

Bisonoline
August 4th, 2013, 12:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypCPdfr59Vc

Media is being held out this year other than a brief 15 minute window during practice (blog link below for more info, Bohl also addresses briefly in video), but here is a quick review from Coach Bohl on day 1.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/

Did you read Kolpacks open letter? Pathetic---absolutely pathetic.

BisonFan02
August 4th, 2013, 12:55 AM
Did you read Kolpacks open letter? Pathetic---absolutely pathetic.

Yeah, I'm not touching that one...not a fan of the tone and don't understand the need for an "open letter".

IBleedYellow
August 4th, 2013, 05:32 AM
Kolpack needs to calm his tits.

You can tell the way Coach Bohl interacts with Dom and Jeff that he likes them, especially with Dom, there is a mutual respect between the two. I've seen them in a non-media situation before and it was all smiles and handshakes.

The fact that Dom loves football and loves just covering sports in general and starts to...Bleed Yellow (:D) this time of year allows the coach to calm down a little bit around him.

Jeff - different story. Hah

Honestly, I think it's something along the lines of Lakebison and his BisoNation LLC. that possibly could be the issue.

MplsBison
August 4th, 2013, 09:31 AM
I mean....just look at those Ray-Ban's!

That's a man who's confident in winning a third straight national championship.

MplsBison
August 4th, 2013, 09:32 AM
By the way...I like how football had to give up the Dacotah fieldturf .... to the women's soccer team.

So football and women's soccer basically traded practice fields.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 4th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Kolpack needs to calm his tits.

You can tell the way Coach Bohl interacts with Dom and Jeff that he likes them, especially with Dom, there is a mutual respect between the two. I've seen them in a non-media situation before and it was all smiles and handshakes.

The fact that Dom loves football and loves just covering sports in general and starts to...Bleed Yellow (:D) this time of year allows the coach to calm down a little bit around him.

Jeff - different story. Hah

Honestly, I think it's something along the lines of Lakebison and his BisoNation LLC. that possibly could be the issue.

This.

There's a big difference between professional journalism and gossip.

Bisonwinagn
August 4th, 2013, 02:35 PM
The only thing pathetic is practice being closed to the public. There's absolutely nothing that could give an opposing team a competitive advantage. Talk about being paranoid over nothing!!!!!!

Bisonoline
August 4th, 2013, 03:02 PM
The only thing pathetic is practice being closed to the public. There's absolutely nothing that could give an opposing team a competitive advantage. Talk about being paranoid over nothing!!!!!!

Practicing New plays and formations wouldnt be an advantage for opposing team to know? Theres more to the list but you get the idea. One more thing--- many teams are closing practice because there are certain boosters who get way to chummy with the players. This way they can show they havent lost control of the program if the NCAA come calling.

BisonFan02
August 5th, 2013, 05:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ra351j3s54&feature=player_embedded

A day in the life of Ryan Smith/Fall Camp.

Green1
August 8th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Good video. Always interesting to get a behind the scenes look at what happens in some of these student athlete's lives.

saxbison
August 8th, 2013, 01:19 PM

I would guess it has more to do with the media's treatment of the program in the last year. If this is the case, I think Bohl is completely justified in refusing to let the same people who have slung mud at the program profit from reporting on his practices. I could be completely wrong, but that's just my assessment of the situation.

MplsBison
August 8th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Looks like Levon Perry was charged with a DUI in early July. Good job keeping that one under wraps until now.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/408403/group/Sports/

It's probably for the best anyway. Sure you'd love to have your best player for this game, but he had a bad knee injury so not sure that you want his first game back to football to be that situation.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 8th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Looks like Levon Perry was charged with a DUI in early July. Good job keeping that one under wraps until now.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/408403/group/Sports/

It's probably for the best anyway. Sure you'd love to have your best player for this game, but he had a bad knee injury so not sure that you want his first game back to football to be that situation.

Not to get into an argument but to a man, NDSU's best player is probably Billy Turner.

344Johnson
August 8th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Not to get into an argument but to a man, NDSU's best player is probably Billy Turner.

You mean it isn't Brock Jensen? /sarcasm

MplsBison
August 8th, 2013, 02:32 PM

Sorry, that was worded poorly. I meant to say you want your best player at that position.

Even still, not sure it wouldn't be Luecke at that point in the season.

MplsBison
August 9th, 2013, 02:07 PM
So what do NDSU fans think about Luecke starting at DT for Perry and Esley Thorton starting at OLB for Beck?

I for one think both will do outstanding jobs and would be starting at those positions for many, many FCS teams.

As far as LB depth goes: looks like there's a TON of LB on the roster, but on closer inspection a lot of those guys are true freshmen. Otherwise, there's Antonio Rodgers - a JC transfer from a year ago, looks like a special teams player and MJ Stumph, who redshirted as a true freshman last year. Not sure if he'll rotate in for the K-State game or not.

The other three guys were all walk-ons, I'm guessing not recruited either.

Sure hope there's someone who can spell Thorton, Olson and Littlejohn if Beck can't go.

Bisonoline
August 9th, 2013, 02:44 PM
So what do NDSU fans think about Luecke starting at DT for Perry and Esley Thorton starting at OLB for Beck?

I for one think both will do outstanding jobs and would be starting at those positions for many, many FCS teams.
As far as LB depth goes: looks like there's a TON of LB on the roster, but on closer inspection a lot of those guys are true freshmen. Otherwise, there's Antonio Rodgers - a JC transfer from a year ago, looks like a special teams player and MJ Stumph, who redshirted as a true freshman last year. Not sure if he'll rotate in for the K-State game or not.

The other three guys were all walk-ons, I'm guessing not recruited either.

Sure hope there's someone who can spell Thorton, Olson and Littlejohn if Beck can't go.

Where do you derive that opinion from? Thorton hasn't started a game for the Bison and doesn't have any meaning full playing time logged except for special teams. Not to mention he has only been in the LB position for a year since switching from QB.

Plus why do you have to give them a rest? They are supposed to be in shape.

MplsBison
August 9th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Don't have to, of course. Just nice to be able to do that. I know back when you played football the team only had about 14 or 15 guys and you wore leather helmets, but in the modern game keeping players fresh is something of a priority.

As for why I think Thorton will do great: A) he's a big, strong, intelligent kid, B) he's from North Dakota and C) Bohl has said he was looking good early in camp.

IBleedYellow
August 9th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Where do you derive that opinion from? Thorton hasn't started a game for the Bison and doesn't have any meaning full playing time logged except for special teams. Not to mention he has only been in the LB position for a year since switching from QB.

Plus why do you have to give them a rest? They are supposed to be in shape.

I can't believe what I'm about to say, but I agree with Mpls. I think that Danny and Esley will do damn good jobs in those positions.

Want to know why? They are Bison, they will give it their heart at that position.

frozennorth
August 9th, 2013, 05:30 PM
i have never heard anyone say thorton was doing anything other than very well at linebacker.

Bisonoline
August 9th, 2013, 07:30 PM
You said----I for one think both will do outstanding jobs and would be starting at those positions for many, many FCS teams.

So a kid who has virtually NO game experience at LB would start for many many FCS teams???? LOL Yeah you go with that.

Bisonoline
August 9th, 2013, 07:32 PM
i have never heard anyone say thorton was doing anything other than very well at linebacker.

Very well doesnt equate to a starter which he is not. Plus to say he could start on many fcs teams when he hasnt really played the position is very far fetched.

Bisonoline
August 9th, 2013, 07:34 PM
I can't believe what I'm about to say, but I agree with Mpls. I think that Danny and Esley will do damn good jobs in those positions.

Want to know why? They are Bison, they will give it their heart at that position.

Just because they are Bison doesnt mean he will be good at the position he is in. Those green glasses are blinding your sight.:)

Vitojr130
August 9th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Very well doesnt equate to a starter which he is not. Plus to say he could start on many fcs teams when he hasnt really played the position is very far fetched.

Seeing Esley practice for a few snaps convinced me. While he may not be "Beck-good" at linebacker, he's going to be d*** close. What helps, I think, is the fact that he is a QB so he knows how a QB would read a situation and can adjust accordingly... It also helps that he's fast and quite large...

*Gulp* I think I just agreed with Mpls xlolxxbangx

Bisonoline
August 9th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Seeing Esley practice for a few snaps convinced me. While he may not be "Beck-good" at linebacker, he's going to be d*** close. What helps, I think, is the fact that he is a QB so he knows how a QB would read a situation and can adjust accordingly... It also helps that he's fast and quite large...

*Gulp* I think I just agreed with Mpls xlolxxbangx

Until he has some meaningful game time minutes I will wait to see how great you all think he will be. Looking good in practice is all well and good. One problem. The Bison dont play the Bison and it wont be brother in law against KS. All the heart in the world wont make up for a lack of experience and reps.
I look for KS to try and exploit this weakness. Also our D-line will be at a disadvantage against there 0-line. If that happens the LBs will be at a disadvantage as well. It all goes hand in hand.

BisonFan02
August 9th, 2013, 09:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdwK6ExKt-Y

Day in the life: Marcus Williams

Bisonoline
August 9th, 2013, 11:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdwK6ExKt-Y

Day in the life: Marcus Williams

That was great! Thanks.

Vitojr130
August 9th, 2013, 11:56 PM
Until he has some meaningful game time minutes I will wait to see how great you all think he will be. Looking good in practice is all well and good. One problem. The Bison dont play the Bison and it wont be brother in law against KS. All the heart in the world wont make up for a lack of experience and reps.
I look for KS to try and exploit this weakness. Also our D-line will be at a disadvantage against there 0-line. If that happens the LBs will be at a disadvantage as well. It all goes hand in hand.

I could have swore he got a few reps in last year...

Bisonoline
August 10th, 2013, 12:24 AM
I could have swore he got a few reps in last year...

Meaningful reps are different that garbage time. He really didnt show much either but I will give him a pass as it was his first time at the LB position. Dont get me wrong I hope he does well. But its a pretty big leap from last year to where he needs to be playing against K-state.
I have no illusions in this regard.

SUPharmacist
August 10th, 2013, 12:59 AM
What sort of year do you guys think Williams will have? I thought he got beat too many times last year, will he be a little bit more conservative, or more aggressive trying to find his way to the next level.

frozennorth
August 10th, 2013, 02:20 AM
You said----I for one think both will do outstanding jobs and would be starting at those positions for many, many FCS teams.

So a kid who has virtually NO game experience at LB would start for many many FCS teams???? LOL Yeah you go with that.

15 tackles last year isn't nothing.

Bisonoline
August 10th, 2013, 03:51 AM
15 tackles last year isn't nothing.

Special teams.
Plus we played what 14 games? Considering all the kickoff, punts and playing in garbage time he should get at least 1 tackle a game. Just saying.

Bisonoline
August 10th, 2013, 03:53 AM
What sort of year do you guys think Williams will have? I thought he got beat too many times last year, will he be a little bit more conservative, or more aggressive trying to find his way to the next level.

He got smoked a few times last year when he was jacking his jaws . I think he was a tad embarrassed over that. If he takes care of business I think he will be fine. I am interested to see how he does against KS receivers.

IBleedYellow
August 10th, 2013, 05:28 AM
Just because they are Bison doesnt mean he will be good at the position he is in. Those green glasses are blinding your sight.:)

No sir, they are not. I know Danny personally, I remember back when he had all his knee issues. He is a very hard worker and his skills are improving daily. Thorton saw quite a few snaps last year as a LB in some key situations in big games, does that mean starter quality? Possibly no, but if Bohl says he's ready, he's ready.

Bisonoline
August 10th, 2013, 12:25 PM
No sir, they are not. I know Danny personally, I remember back when he had all his knee issues. He is a very hard worker and his skills are improving daily. Thorton saw quite a few snaps last year as a LB in some key situations in big games, does that mean starter quality? Possibly no, but if Bohl says he's ready, he's ready.

I wasn't talking about Danny at all. Sorry for not clarifying.

FargoBison
August 14th, 2013, 02:47 PM
The team is breaking in the new practice field today...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BRptir8CIAAKJ0_.jpg:large

NoDak 4 Ever
August 14th, 2013, 02:58 PM

The least they could have done was get rid of the advertising.

BisonFan02
August 14th, 2013, 03:34 PM
The least they could have done was get rid of the advertising.

Naw...game field replica. :D

*serious note though, I'm under the impression that the coloring/lettering is not painted and part of actual turf threading. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

UNDBIZ
August 14th, 2013, 03:38 PM

*serious note though, I'm under the impression that the coloring/lettering is not painted and part of actual turf threading. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Seeing as UND got the same turf, I really hope not.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 14th, 2013, 03:46 PM

Yes. that's true. I saw them gluing those pieces on to the backing before the rest of the turf was laid. After rethinking, I guess I don't really hate having an absolute replica of the field. It may prove advantageous.

geaux_sioux
August 14th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Seeing as UND got the same turf, I really hope not.

All non end zone logos in the alerus are painted on.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 14th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JG9oyuo0bo

AmsterBison
August 14th, 2013, 04:50 PM

You know, somebody should really build an expandable 25,000-seat domed stadium around that field.

IBleedYellow
August 14th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Let's do it!

Professor Chaos
August 14th, 2013, 06:48 PM
You know, somebody should really build an expandable 25,000-seat domed stadium around that field.
I'd be all for it, would even be better without the domed part if you ask me.

MplsBison
August 14th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Two things:

1) PL isn't disagreeing with everyone about Thorton because he actually thinks that....it's because he got trapped in taking the opposite position as me because he loves to follow me around and say the sky is purple if I say it's blue. Too bad I was right this time.

2) Sorry, but the grass fields on either side of that turf they have out there now look like crap compared to it. Long live the day when all DI football is played and practice on a true sports performance surface: artificial turf!

Bisonator
August 14th, 2013, 09:55 PM
I'd be all for it, would even be better without the domed part if you ask me.

Yeah, an outdoor stadium for nice fall days and the dome for adverse weather conditions. The best of both world's!

Bisonoline
August 14th, 2013, 10:10 PM
Two things:

1) PL isn't disagreeing with everyone about Thorton because he actually thinks that....it's because he got trapped in taking the opposite position as me because he loves to follow me around and say the sky is purple if I say it's blue. Too bad I was right this time.

2) Sorry, but the grass fields on either side of that turf they have out there now look like crap compared to it. Long live the day when all DI football is played and practice on a true sports performance surface: artificial turf!

You were right about what? Trapped? That personality disorder is showing itself again.

As far as Thorton I never believe the hype about anyone until they prove it on the field. Same goes for recruits. I dont get all excited about recruits because some will leave. Some wont make it etc etc.
Thorton is a big question mark. The majority of his experience has been on special teams. All the cliques wont make him a good LB. We will see how he does against K-state. Baptism under fire as it may be.

AmsterBison
August 15th, 2013, 08:13 AM
It was pointed out on bisonville, but they positioned the turf so New Snorty is looking straight at FC Dallas stadium.

BisonFan02
August 15th, 2013, 09:03 AM
It was pointed out on bisonville, but they positioned the turf so New Snorty is looking straight at FC Dallas stadium.

...and the rear with it's tail up in the air facing north. :D

BisonFan02
August 17th, 2013, 02:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMjW2dXVazA

Update and reaction from fall scrimmage.

IBleedYellow
August 17th, 2013, 03:45 PM
...and the rear with it's tail up in the air facing north. :D

University...University...

gotts
August 22nd, 2013, 11:03 AM
http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/85634/group/Sports/

Link contains video from Fargo sportscast. Grant Olson has good mic skills.

MplsBison
August 23rd, 2013, 12:37 PM
Interesting story about the battle for CB spot opposite Marcus Williams: http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/409910/group/Sports/

It's moot, as the horse's mouth even says all four CB's are going to play.

I am absolutely, 100% in belief that playing more than 22 guys in every game can only do good things for a team. I think it's ridiculous to not play a talented player just because there's a starter in front of him. Work them all in!

And tell the starter to shut his mouth and do what's best for the team if he starts complaining about playing time.

BisonFan02
August 26th, 2013, 09:36 PM
Coach Bohl Monday Press Conference (8/26):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp5-N8F6xpk

344Johnson
August 26th, 2013, 10:50 PM
Really excited to see how physical K-State is...

Bisonoline
August 26th, 2013, 11:26 PM
Interesting story about the battle for CB spot opposite Marcus Williams: http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/409910/group/Sports/

It's moot, as the horse's mouth even says all four CB's are going to play.

I am absolutely, 100% in belief that playing more than 22 guys in every game can only do good things for a team. I think it's ridiculous to not play a talented player just because there's a starter in front of him. Work them all in!

And tell the starter to shut his mouth and do what's best for the team if he starts complaining about playing time.

Trying to push some buttons there troll boy?

Twentysix
August 27th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Really excited to see how physical K-State is...

Indeed. I am excited to see how we stack up.