PDA

View Full Version : Clint Dempsey: Why?

Lehigh Football Nation
August 3rd, 2013, 01:13 PM
Why leave a starting gig at Tottenham for MLS? Granted he'll be a superstar in MLS.

PaladinFan
August 3rd, 2013, 01:26 PM
Why leave a starting gig at Tottenham for MLS? Granted he'll be a superstar in MLS.

I don't know. My best guess he is 30, and they are paying him a lot of money to come play soccer in the U.S.

Soccer players don't live forever. Perhaps he has personal reasons for coming back to the states. He's been over there a while.

DSUrocks07
August 4th, 2013, 06:04 PM

It wasn't a given that he would be the starter going into this season. I think that he wanted to be closer to his family here in the States. If MLS wants to start making inroads within the hierarchy that is international futbol, they have to have more stars within their league.

Grizalltheway
August 4th, 2013, 08:27 PM
It wasn't a given that he would be the starter going into this season. I think that he wanted to be closer to his family here in the States. If MLS wants to start making inroads within the hierarchy that is international futbol, they have to have more stars within their league.

Money is a big issue. MLS has a salary cap, while the major leagues in Europe do not. Can't blame a talented young American player for wanting to go over there and get paid what they're worth.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 5th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Dempsey is 30 and will be 31 when the WC happens in Brazil. Maybe he felt like he had nothing else to prove. Also, in MLS he'll have an offseason from October/November to March (April?) to just train and take wear and tear off his body before the final go.

The more I think about it the more it makes sense for Clint, at this point in his career, with the WC looming. Interestingly, though, Klinsmann is reportedly not very happy about it.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 5th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Another part of this I didn't realize, but a fascinating observation:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/70468/what-clint-dempseys-mls-return-means-for-seattle-deuce-and-the-american-way-of-soccer?ex_cid=grantland33

Tactically, Dempsey's presence in Seattle will only subtly change the way the team plays. The Sounders' first-choice front four currently has Martins playing in front of Johnson, with Lamar Neagle and Rosales wide. Dempsey can slide into the space Johnson is currently occupying, pushing Johnson out wide to the wing position he plays with the USMNT.

Interesting that Dempsey and Johnson will be playing their very roles on the USMNT in Brazil. This is sounding more and more like a good idea the more I read.

PAllen
August 9th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Simple answer: More money, better job security, closer to home and family.

I think it sucks for the USMNT's chances in Brazil, but it sounds like the best move for Clint as I doubt the US will be hoisting the World Cup next year either way.

Grizalltheway
August 9th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Simple answer: More money, better job security, closer to home and family.

I think it sucks for the USMNT's chances in Brazil, but it sounds like the best move for Clint as I doubt the US will be hoisting the World Cup next year either way.

Why does it suck for the national team? At least this way he'll get much more playing time, albeit in an inferior league.

PAllen
August 9th, 2013, 10:48 PM
I can't think of one player who has come to the MLS at the tail end of his career and not had their game slip on an international level. I look at it as the reverse of Michael Bradley. He was a starter for the US, but honestly subpar at an international level while playing in MLS. After a few years at Roma, he's now one of the better holding midfielders in the world. Dempsey was building to be one of the better attacking midfielders in the world, playing in the MLS is only going to slow his game. Honestly, I'm hoping he goes on loan at the end of the MLS season to someone in a better situation (dare I say a champions league berth?)