View Full Version : New Hampshire vs Northwestern

Pages : 1 [2]

GaSouthern
September 11th, 2006, 06:38 PM
congratz UNH!!!!!
i-aa looking GREAT this year!

psc2445
September 11th, 2006, 07:03 PM
good one, #1 right now from my perspective too having watched us sleepwalk through our first two. However I will definitely take the JMU win

UNHWILDCATS05
September 11th, 2006, 07:50 PM
What an amazing game and an amazing time...
UNH had an alumni tailgate in a houses yard right next to the stadium and it was packed with people including the interem UNH president, a former UNH President and former UNH Wildcat/Chicago Bear Jerry Azumah... Free food.. free beer.. and tons of UNH football fans... Hung out with UNH_Alum_in_CT and UNH 40 (and saw Ralph from a distance on the sideline).. it was really an incredible time... UNH fan section was probably between 500-600 people... Nothing compared to the size of the NU fans obviously but I'll tell you... the UNH fans were loud the entire game and were in it till the end, right up until the team came over after the game and was high fiving everyone while the UNH section chanted U-N-H, U-N-H. The NU fans were basically in a state of shock and were non existent except for a little bit in the first half when NU went up 14-13...

But still the best part was after the game when my girlfriend, one of my best friends and I were walking around Evanston after the game. A lot of "NU fans" who didn't go to the game kept asking what the score of the game was, expecting us to say an NU win. The looks on their faces when we said that NEW HAMPSHIRE had won was priceless. At one point my buddy and I ran into a BK to use the bathroom... a Northwestern student walked up to my girlfriend (who was wearing a New Hampshire Atlantic 10 champions shirt) and said smuggly and with a smirk on his face.. "So, did we win"... to which my very loud, speak her mind, don't know much about football girlfriend responded..,"Nope.. we spanked you.. 34-17.. you guys sure did suck" The NU fan picked his jaw up off the ground and retreated in silence...

ahhhh.. it really doesn't get much better than that :) :) :)

September 11th, 2006, 09:31 PM
... At one point my buddy and I ran into a BK to use the bathroom... a Northwestern student walked up to my girlfriend (who was wearing a New Hampshire Atlantic 10 champions shirt) and said smuggly and with a smirk on his face.. "So, did we win"... to which my very loud, speak her mind, don't know must about football girlfriend responded..,"Nope.. we spanked you.. 34-17.. you guys sure did suck" The NU fan picked his jaw up off the ground and retreated in silence...

ahhhh.. it really doesn't get much better than that :) :) :)PRICELESS!!!

MR. CHICKEN
September 11th, 2006, 09:53 PM
IS IT ME....OR..DO-AH...DUH HAMPSHIRE....JERSEY NUMBERS......LOOK LIKE.........WAL-MART...AUTO PARTS.....PRICE TAGS?........AWK!

elkmcc
September 11th, 2006, 09:57 PM
IS IT ME....OR..DOAH...DUH HAMPSHIRE....JERSEY NUMBERS......LOOK LIKE.........WAL-MART...AUTO PARTS.....PRICE TAGS?........AWK!

Very funny chickenman.:hurray:

Congrats to UNH!

rcny46
September 11th, 2006, 10:02 PM
IS IT ME....OR..DO-AH...DUH HAMPSHIRE....JERSEY NUMBERS......LOOK LIKE.........WAL-MART...AUTO PARTS.....PRICE TAGS?........AWK!

It's you. :smiley_wi

blukeys
September 11th, 2006, 10:44 PM
a Northwestern student walked up to my girlfriend (who was wearing a New Hampshire Atlantic 10 champions shirt) and said smuggly and with a smirk on his face.. "So, did we win"... to which my very loud, speak her mind, don't know much about football girlfriend responded..,"Nope.. we spanked you.. 34-17.. you guys sure did suck" The NU fan picked his jaw up off the ground and retreated in silence...

ahhhh.. it really doesn't get much better than that :) :) :)

A line best delivered by a sassy but good looking babe!!!!xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

You'll have to share our reactions with your girl friend. :nod: :nod:

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 15th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Congratulations UNH!!!!!
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :hurray: :hurray: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh:

Also, Congratulations to the dedicated fans of UNH on this board Including but certainly not limited to rcny, UNHWildcats, the legendary Granite and many other UNH fans who make this board such a great place. Today's special shout out however goes to UNH_alum_in_Conn. Who is in Evanston right now with no clue that Monday the Sun will come up and he still has to go to work!!!!!!!!xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx (Actually I would not count on him being there Monday and you won't be able to wipe that ***** eating smirk off his face till Fridayxlolx xlolx ) Certainly none of us will begrudge him that. He of course owes us a complete recount of his trip AND the hapless reaction of the Big Ten folks who are still in disbelief.

Thanx to all for sharing this special win with all of I-AA!!!!!:nod: :nod: :D :D :D :D

Many thanks Blu!!! Sorry for being so tardy with a report, but it was a very crazy week.

After witnessing the big win at Rutgers, I really didn't think I'd see another one this time around. I figured we'd be competitive, I'd get to see a Big 10 school & team as well as have a little Chicago experience. I can't begin to tell you how incredible it feels to now have seen in person two UNH wins over I-A opponents.

For the record, despite pulling in my driveway at 12:50 AM Monday morning, I did make it to work on Monday. And yes the sh$t eating grin still lingers on Friday night despite two rainy days in CT.

Friday night was spent touring the north side of Chicago with Ralph and some of the NH media folks. The hard core UNH fans will know who is in the picture of the Harry Caray statue outside Wrigley Field.

On Saturday there was an alumni function at a house that was just outside the Northwestern Athletic Grounds. For my fellow craft beer lovers on AGS, the brew du jour was Leinenkugel Red Lager which was fantastic!! While I'm sure Ryan Field is small compared to many of the other Big Ten venues, it is still big by our standards -- over 47K. But sitting on the 8 yard line, six rows up is not a great vantage point for dissecting a football game. So, any evaluation of the action is subject to doubt. Back to the stadium, it wasn't half full and the students weren't on campus yet, so it really wasn't that "hostile" an environment.

NW kicked off to UNH with a favoring wind so after the touchback UNH started on its own 20. They proceeded to click off a very impressive 80 yard drive ending with a Ball TD catch. IMHO, that was better than running back the kick for a TD because it showed UNH could move the ball. The ensuing UNH kick was into the wind and came down right in front of me. I could see it was dying and also could see the NW return man had misjudged the ball. He tried to catch it on the fly and fumbled. At that point UNH players were diving on the ground for that fumble. Saying they really wanted that ball is an understatement! They looked like a pack of those dingo dogs going after a carcass!

NW proceeds to have two TD drives where they really displayed line dominance. At this point I was seriously worried that the purple Wildcats were just going to jam the ball down our throats with their size advantage. That never happened as UNH stopped NW on their next drive. Talking with UNH 40 after the game, he felt that UNH had adjusted to the size and speed of NW by that point. UNH executed another drive finished off with a sick Ball TD catch to go up 20-14. NW had another drive but UNH held them to a FG for a 20-17 lead. NW wouldn't score again and UNH put together two more drives for TDs and the final 34-17 score.

To me, the multiple long drives was most impressive. And IMO UNH really didn't "air out" the offense. They really didn't attack downfield and really didn't go to the "bag of tricks". But they took advantage of their opportunities! And I'm glad I don't try to script these games because I would have been way off!!

Needless to say the post game activies went on for quite some time! It was starting to get dark when the function finally saw its last person. Along the way Ralph and I went back out into the NW tailgate area and talked with a few people. They were absolutely shellshocked, but spoke openly with us. Well, all but one guy who was just spitting nickels and just walked away. The best part of the conversation was when one guy said that the win should get UNH the #1 ranking in I-AA. Both Ralph and I responded that it doesn't mean squat in I-AA because we have playoffs. :nod: xlolx

On Sunday I hit the Goose Island Brewery (Clybourn rather than Wrigley) for lunch. Over the course of the weekend, I drank their Honker's Ale, Dublin Stout, English Malt Porter, Extra Special Bitters and Nut Brown Ale. While they were very good, I preferred the Leinenkugel Red Lager. It was rainy on Sunday (yeah, I really cared! :rotateh: ) but I did manage to drive around quite a bit of Downtown Chicago and many of the neighborhoods on the North Side. And of course I cruised Lake Shore Drive. Chicago really impressed me and I want to return someday soon.

My weekend was topped off at O'Hare when I was stopped by a person who asked if the UNH on my shirt was for New Hampshire. When I replied in the affirmative, he said "Wow, did you guys have a great win yesterday!!!!!"

Great to meet UNH 40 and UNHWILDCATS05 and of course Ralph. 05 didn't say it but he was in the front row getting high fives from the team when they came up into the stands. Memories for a lifetime my friend!! :nod: :nod:

UNHWILDCATS05
September 16th, 2006, 06:29 PM
IT SURE WAS CT!!!!!..... I am still on cloud 9....

It was great to meet you and hopefully I'll catch you at some future games this year... Didn't make it to Stony Brook (didn't really miss much) because of some baddd food last night.... but I'll be trying to get down to DE... if I can gather the funds required that is....

GO CATS!!!!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 16th, 2006, 09:32 PM
IT SURE WAS CT!!!!!..... I am still on cloud 9....

It was great to meet you and hopefully I'll catch you at some future games this year... Didn't make it to Stony Brook (didn't really miss much) because of some baddd food last night.... but I'll be trying to get down to DE... if I can gather the funds required that is....

GO CATS!!!!

Make sure you put a few articles on the UNH-Northwestern game into a scrapbook or prints from the Internet into a notebook. You will appreciate it many years from now. This voice of experience knows that even with a great memory, your brain will be so jammed with game experiences after 20+ years of following UNH that you can't recall everything.

I didn't make the Stony Brook game either because I worked. And I made enough to put a dent in the expenses from last weekend. xlolx Make a good effort to attend the game at Delaware, it is definitely worth the effort and expense.