PDA

View Full Version : Cornell's Mathews gets some draft love from SI.com

Go Green
June 25th, 2013, 02:09 PM
http://nfl.si.com/2013/06/25/unheralded-jeff-mathews-intriguing-scouts-in-a-year-of-star-studded-qbs/?sct=hp_wr_a3&eref=sihp

Pity that he doesn't have more talent around him (especially on defense). Columbia's John Witowski also threw for incredible numbers, but won only a handful of games. Played a few years in the NFL.

Bogus Megapardus
June 25th, 2013, 05:15 PM
I was really impressed with Jeff Matthews, especially the early part of last season. I was fortunate to be able to see him play. I recall posting Matthews' praise here a couple of times. Later on in the season, once opponents drew a bead on him, his OL protection collapsed and his blitz coverage (TE/FB/RB) was fruitless. Still, I think the guy has NFL talent - similar in many ways to Fordham's John Skelton.

Go Green
June 26th, 2013, 05:02 AM
Mathews is the Dan Fouts of the Ivy. Dartmouth has been fortunate enough to play him when the weather was lousy (cold and wet) so we've been able to beat him.

Cornell will have a lot of question marks this year, but quarterback is not one of them.

Ivytalk
June 26th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Harvard has generally held him in check. He put up pretty good numbers against us two years ago in a losing effort, but last year his OL was like a sieve and he was running for his life. Solid NFL prospect, though.

Go Green
June 27th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Harvard has generally held him in check. He put up pretty good numbers against us two years ago in a losing effort, but last year his OL was like a sieve and he was running for his life. Solid NFL prospect, though.

Last year, he threw for 300+ against Dartmouth. But most of that was garbage yardage in the 2nd half when the game was out of reach and we were letting him have anything less than 10 yards. I suspect something similar was going on at the Harvard games.

That being said, he's had some incredible games. He threw for something like 550 yards against Penn in 2011 that not only broke the Ivy single game passing record, but obliterated it.

smallcollegefbfan
June 27th, 2013, 05:41 PM
http://nfl.si.com/2013/06/25/unheralded-jeff-mathews-intriguing-scouts-in-a-year-of-star-studded-qbs/?sct=hp_wr_a3&eref=sihp

Pity that he doesn't have more talent around him (especially on defense). Columbia's John Witowski also threw for incredible numbers, but won only a handful of games. Played a few years in the NFL.

Solid NFL prospect. I would put him in the 5th-7th round right now. I think he needs to show some improvement in a few areas before he is a top 100 pick but certainly has the size, arm talent, and production to garner looks.

He and Caraun Reid are very close on my board and will be the top 2 prospects on the NFL radar entering the fall from the Ivy League.