8) Elon
9) Western Carolina

Off player of the year - Jamal Landry-Jackson, QB, Sr. - App State
Def player of the year - Jaquiski Tartt, FS, Jr. - Samford
Newcomer of the year - Tysean Holloway, RB, Fr. - App State
Game of the year - October 26, Georgia Southern at Appalachian State

Apphole
June 3rd, 2013, 12:55 PM
xlolx The SoCon Game of the Year is a Sun Belt Conference matchup.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 3rd, 2013, 01:16 PM
1) Georgia Southern
2) Appalachian State
3) Chattanooga
4) Wofford
5) The Citadel
6) Samford
7) Furman
8) Elon
9) Western Carolina

Off player of the year - Jamal Landry-Jackson, QB, Sr. - App State
Def player of the year - Jaquiski Tartt, FS, Jr. - Samford
Newcomer of the year - Tysean Holloway, RB, Fr. - App State
Game of the year - October 26, Georgia Southern at Appalachian State

Interesting. I honestly don't think JJ is even the best offensive player for App. State.

Apphole
June 3rd, 2013, 01:47 PM
Interesting. I honestly don't think JJ is even the best offensive player for App. State.

Second best behind Price, IMO. That refers to the conference and the team.

He should have an impressive passing year with our stacked corps of receivers.

Accelerati Incredibilus
June 3rd, 2013, 01:59 PM

While he probably isn't be the best player ASU has on offense.... with Satterfield now in complete control, no proven running threat to lean on, a ridiculous number of very talented WR's and a vastly improved line, Jackson should put up insane numbers this year.

ASUMountaineer
June 3rd, 2013, 02:32 PM

I'd agree with that, but QB's always get a head start because they touch the ball every offensive play (or mostly every play). I expect Price to put up better numbers than last year, assuming good health, which will certainly help JLJ's numbers.

walliver
June 3rd, 2013, 02:53 PM
It is interesting that the "Game of the Year" is the ONLY game on the entire conference schedule that will have absolutely no bearing towards the conference championship or playoff opportunities.

PaladinFan
June 3rd, 2013, 03:05 PM
I agree App and GSU are the favorites for the top two spots, but in no way do I think those two win in a runaway. It would not surprise me at all to see Samford, UTC, the Citadel or Wofford finish with a better record in the SoCon.

Furman is probably a dark horse in the shooting match. Three losses last year to three playoff teams by a score or less. Started a boatload of freshmen. Furman's passing attack was non-existent last year (a casualty of a true freshman QB in a prostyle offense). If that slightly ticks up, I think the Paladins could well be on the road to recovery.

I think we are still a season away for Fowler's rebuild to really start to take root. This season is a big question mark. Hopefully, Fowler's "trial by fire" for his young players will start to show dividends.

Sandlapper Spike
June 3rd, 2013, 03:26 PM
It is interesting that the "Game of the Year" is the ONLY game on the entire conference schedule that will have absolutely no bearing towards the conference championship or playoff opportunities.

It's really the one contest that is guaranteed not to be the game of the year.

ASUMountaineer
June 3rd, 2013, 03:30 PM
I'm not sure why they chose App/GSU to be the GOTY. Makes no sense, really. I think it's more interesting to debate who will win the conference that is eligible to win the conference, and which game will have the biggest impact in deciding the conference champion.

This shows one of two things: 1) TSN really has no clue about what's going on in FCS, or 2) they are just too lazy to care.

Apphole
June 3rd, 2013, 03:42 PM
I'm not sure why they chose App/GSU to be the GOTY. Makes no sense, really. I think it's more interesting to debate who will win the conference that is eligible to win the conference, and which game will have the biggest impact in deciding the conference champion.

This shows one of two things: 1) TSN really has no clue about what's going on in FCS, or 2) they are just too lazy to care.

It's the farewell tour for the two biggest and most accomplished programs. The SoCon would do well to squeeze out every bit of transitive publicity while they still can.

PaladinFan
June 3rd, 2013, 04:06 PM
It's the farewell tour for the two biggest and most accomplished programs. The SoCon would do well to squeeze out every bit of transitive publicity while they still can.

There won't be any publicity from the App State/GSU game outside of their own fans, a small group of intense FCS fans, and the local paper.

SpiritCymbal
June 3rd, 2013, 04:18 PM

I agree. Based on their own rankings the GOTY should really be between UTC and Woffy.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 3rd, 2013, 04:30 PM

Seema pretty odd to me as well. Sure it will be a good game to watch as always but it means nothing as far as the SoCon goes.

Since it is an article about SoCon I think they stepped on their Richards with that one.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 3rd, 2013, 04:32 PM

Yes of course, the transitive pub. xlolx

CID1990
June 3rd, 2013, 07:12 PM
1) Georgia Southern
2) Chattanooga
3) ASU
4) The Citadel
5) Samford
6) Wofford
7) Furman
8) WCU
9) Elon

AQ- Chatty
AL- El Cid
AL- Samford (why a 3rd AL? Because they will beat either ASU or GSU, and Wofford)

Mark it down. I'll even take an avatar bet from the first comer.

Sent from the center of the universe.

Saint3333
June 3rd, 2013, 07:54 PM
This is how much research they did, the newcomer of the year is third on the depth chart at App.

Each year I think they put even less time in what they write.

Apphole
June 3rd, 2013, 07:55 PM
There won't be any publicity from the App State/GSU game outside of their own fans, a small group of intense FCS fans, and the local paper.

So...much more pub than any other SoCon game all year by a long shot?

And you forgot curious SBC fans.

PaladinFan
June 4th, 2013, 05:02 AM
This is how much research they did, the newcomer of the year is third on the depth chart at App.

Each year I think they put even less time in what they write.

One preseason video had an ineligible Citadel player and listed Furman's Dakota Dozier (a three year starter and arguably the best tackle in the SoCon) as first team OG. To my knowledge Dozier has not played a snap at guard since he's been at Furman. That would take ten seconds to find out.

ASUMountaineer
June 4th, 2013, 07:58 AM
One preseason video had an ineligible Citadel player and listed Furman's Dakota Dozier (a three year starter and arguably the best tackle in the SoCon) as first team OG. To my knowledge Dozier has not played a snap at guard since he's been at Furman. That would take ten seconds to find out.

Like I said,

ElCid
June 4th, 2013, 08:34 AM
1) Georgia Southern
2) Chattanooga
3) ASU
4) The Citadel
5) Samford
6) Wofford
7) Furman
8) WCU
9) Elon

AQ- Chatty
AL- El Cid
AL- Samford (why a 3rd AL? Because they will beat either ASU or GSU, and Wofford)

Mark it down. I'll even take an avatar bet from the first comer.

This is about what I have. I think Chatt will be tougher than most people think and 4,5,6 are all interchangeable at this point. Although Wofford may not be as dominating, they have a very friendly schedule. Samford has a tough road in regard to schedule with GaSo at home followed by four consecutive road games against App, Wofford, Cid, and Furman, and then Chatt at home. Ouch! I think The Citadel can take at least one from GaSo, Chatt, or App even though our departing buddies will be out for blood. I also think we could run the rest of the SOCON--all will be revealed on 7 Sept against Wofford.

walliver
June 4th, 2013, 08:42 AM
So...much more pub than any other SoCon game all year by a long shot?

And you forgot curious SBC fans.

Few SBC fans are going to turn off LSU on TV to watch ASU-GSU on ESPN3.

If UF gets their act together, their late season game against GSU may be the most publicized SoCon game of the year, and may even make national broadcast television just like Alabama-WCU in 2012, and probably be a much better game.

ASU-GSU will likely be the most important game for fans of both schools, but will be of lesser regional/national interest than most of their recent games because if has no playoff or conference championship ramifications (although the outcome might possibly affect a tiebreaker somewhere).

ElCid
June 4th, 2013, 08:45 AM

If UF gets their act together, their late season game against GSU may be the most publicized SoCon game of the year, and may even make national broadcast television just like Alabama-WCU in 2012, and probably be a much better game.

ASU-GSU will likely be the most important game for fans of both schools, but will be of lesser regional/national interest than most of their recent games because if has no playoff or conference championship ramifications (although the outcome might possibly affect a tiebreaker somewhere).

Relegated to a tie breaking role. Too funny.

PaladinFan
June 4th, 2013, 08:45 AM
This is about what I have. I think Chatt will be tougher than most people think and 4,5,6 are all interchangeable at this point. Although Wofford may not be as dominating, they have a very friendly schedule. Samford has a tough road in regard to schedule with GaSo at home followed by four consecutive road games against App, Wofford, Cid, and Furman, and then Chatt at home. Ouch! I think The Citadel can take at least one from GaSo, Chatt, or App even though our departing buddies will be out for blood. I also think we could run the rest of the SOCON--all will be revealed on 7 Sept against Wofford.

I don't disagree.

UTC, IMO, could be a playoff team if they would get some offensive consistency and leave the "where's the ball" nonsense at home. Wofford obviously has the massive hurdle to overcome with losing Britenstein, and it really is hard to estimate what that loss will mean. Furman played tight games against Wofford and Samford on the road last year, and might be able to steal a win or two and upset the standings.

It would not surprise me at all to see App State finish 4th, particularly given that they have road games against Wofford, Furman, and the Citadel - three teams they struggled against last year at home.

CID1990
June 4th, 2013, 08:51 AM
I don't disagree.

UTC, IMO, could be a playoff team if they would get some offensive consistency and leave the "where's the ball" nonsense at home. Wofford obviously has the massive hurdle to overcome with losing Britenstein, and it really is hard to estimate what that loss will mean. Furman played tight games against Wofford and Samford on the road last year, and might be able to steal a win or two and upset the standings.

It would not surprise me at all to see App State finish 4th, particularly given that they have road games against Wofford, Furman, and the Citadel - three teams they struggled against last year at home.

I do think the loss of Breitenstein will hurt Wofford a little bit, but they still have a good team. The Citadel shut Breitenstein down last year and Wofford still won by 3. That said, I am not sure how to rank El Cid-Wofford-Samford other than to say that Wofford will be slightly weaker and El Cid will be stronger overall. Samford has a tough defense and they have stymied us lately, including last year's embarrassment. They might be fast becoming our new Wofford.

CID1990
June 4th, 2013, 08:54 AM

This.

I fail to see how GSU-ASU this year will be of any more interest than any other previous year, particularly to the casual observer who did not attend one of those schools. At the end of the day, the die hard fans will watch, and then a few curious casual football fans, but if there is a FBS game on a network on at the same time, it would be hubris to think that someone who follows SEC or ACC football is going to be watching ASU-GSU other than when the LSU game is in a TV time out.

Apphole
June 4th, 2013, 09:05 AM

I don't know why you'd assume that. In fact, I'd venture to say that BCS fanship is WAY more common among alumni/fans of FCS schools than the FBS Sun Belt. If you step over to the SBC board, you'll find a TON of Louisiana and UL-Monroe fans that HATE the LSU Tigers with the white-hot intensity of a thousand suns.

Of course it's important for both fanbases, but the fact is, it is a pseudo conference game for the Sun Belt and one involving the two teams for which most SBC fans have to highest expectations of competing well in the near future (compared to other FCS move ups and startups). It will draw curiosity from our new conference mates, you better believe it.

As far as the SoCon goes, it will take a concerted effort to not watch the game or keep up with the score from resentful SoConers to keep the interest at bay. This is the departing tour for two of the SoCon's finest. That's compelling. Not to mention this is the biggest rivalry in the SoCon.

Stop kidding Yosef.

SpeedkingATL
June 4th, 2013, 09:21 AM
I think the balance in the SoCon makes it possible that any of 6 teams could actually win the title this year (including App and GaSo which of course doesn't count). It's impossible to pick a game of the year when there will be so many teams in play. App/GaSo is certainly a big game for those 2 schools, but for me personally, the Citdog game is a big one after last years beat down (plus the Charleston road trip is my favorite with great golf and restaurants).

PaladinFan
June 4th, 2013, 09:43 AM
This.

I fail to see how GSU-ASU this year will be of any more interest than any other previous year, particularly to the casual observer who did not attend one of those schools. At the end of the day, the die hard fans will watch, and then a few curious casual football fans, but if there is a FBS game on a network on at the same time, it would be hubris to think that someone who follows SEC or ACC football is going to be watching ASU-GSU other than when the LSU game is in a TV time out.

It absolutely will not be, perhaps less. You have the largest collection of die hard FCS fans on this forum, and I would imagine only a tiny percentage of non-App/GSU fans even check the score, much less watch the game.

Interesting question of whether the GSU/UF game will make a splash. After the scare Furman put into Florida two years ago, I would imagine there won't be any sneaking up on the Gators. Will Muschamp had a lot of blubbering responses to tough questions after that game. I imagine he won't willingly do that twice.

PaladinFan
June 4th, 2013, 09:45 AM
I do think the loss of Breitenstein will hurt Wofford a little bit, but they still have a good team. The Citadel shut Breitenstein down last year and Wofford still won by 3. That said, I am not sure how to rank El Cid-Wofford-Samford other than to say that Wofford will be slightly weaker and El Cid will be stronger overall. Samford has a tough defense and they have stymied us lately, including last year's embarrassment. They might be fast becoming our new Wofford.

I always take the position that you cannot "replace" a great player. You hope the next guy comes in and plays well, but you simply cannot reproduce that talent. App's offense really hasn't been the same since Armanti Edwards graduated. Furman has missed Jerome Felton. The teams can still be good, but you can't just sub in the next guy on the depth chart and keep trucking. Wofford will be good, but they won't be as good.

asumike83
June 4th, 2013, 09:46 AM
It absolutely will not be, perhaps less. You have the largest collection of die hard FCS fans on this forum, and I would imagine only a tiny percentage of non-App/GSU fans even check the score, much less watch the game.

A tiny percentage of FCS fans will even check the score of App vs. Georgia Southern? Come on.

walliver
June 4th, 2013, 09:56 AM
I always take the position that you cannot "replace" a great player. You hope the next guy comes in and plays well, but you simply cannot reproduce that talent. App's offense really hasn't been the same since Armanti Edwards graduated. Furman has missed Jerome Felton. The teams can still be good, but you can't just sub in the next guy on the depth chart and keep trucking. Wofford will be good, but they won't be as good.

EB will be missed, but his replacement is a senior with a lot of game experience. It will be a definite step down. Last years starting QB will not come back for his 5th year. We will have 2 young QB's (one injured for much of last year, one a RS freshman) who lack experience and a walk-on Jr on academic scholarship who received the most playing time during the last half of last year), but are better option-type QB's who hopefully can get our running backs into the game. Last year's offense at time relied too much on EB, and hopefully our OC can step his game up a notch. Our offense will move the ball, but what concerns me is defense. Last year we had the best pass defense we have had in years, and graduations in that area may take a toll.

Apphole
June 4th, 2013, 09:58 AM
EB will be missed, but his replacement is a senior with a lot of game experience. It will be a definite step down. Last years starting QB will not come back for his 5th year. We will have 2 young QB's (one injured for much of last year, one a RS freshman) who lack experience and a walk-on Jr on academic scholarship who received the most playing time during the last half of last year), but are better option-type QB's who hopefully can get our running backs into the game. Last year's offense at time relied too much on EB, and hopefully our OC can step his game up a notch. Our offense will move the ball, but what concerns me is defense. Last year we had the best pass defense we have had in years, and graduations in that area may take a toll.

Do you think there will be a hangover after the loss of Woody?

walliver
June 4th, 2013, 10:07 AM
A tiny percentage of FCS fans will even check the score of App vs. Georgia Southern? Come on.

I suspect most "FCS fans" check most or all the scores every week. The ASU-GSU score won't be a big deal to many fans, however. Montana fans may want to compare their results with GSU's. SoCon teams yet to face both teams may use the score to assess future games. And it could even play into some type of tie-breaker scenario.

That being said, it is an unimportant game to the rest of the SoCon, to FCS as a whole. It will be of limited interest SBC fans - there will be real SBC games played by real SBC teams that Saturday.

This may be the "bowl game" for both ASU and GSU. In fact, it would be interesting to see if the two schools could move the game back to Thanksgiving weekend. But it won't be on "linear TV".

Let's face it, ASU and GSU will be in limbo in 2013. Not really participating in the SoCon race. Kind of like we're separated and waiting for the divorce to become final so we can all move on.

walliver
June 4th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Do you think there will be a hangover after the loss of Woody?

I had more than a few beers back in the day with Nate, and more than a few hangovers.

Teachey is competent and well-liked, and most of the assistants are still here, so I think things will go on about the same.

I wonder if Nate is going to give up short passes all day at App, or if he feels he has the speed to contest the short pass. Too bad we don't throw short sideline passes :(

eaglewraith
June 4th, 2013, 10:15 AM

While Armanti was really good, he also had a great OL in front of him and an established threat at RB in the backfield with him. App has lacked both of those things since ~2008. App's "decline" has been less about star talent in the QB/WR corps and more about lack of good OL and ground game along with playcalling. All of us tend to focus on the stars too much, but often the reason they are so good is because of the supporting cast. They just make the really good players look that much better.

asumike83
June 4th, 2013, 10:16 AM
I suspect most "FCS fans" check most or all the scores every week. The ASU-GSU score won't be a big deal to many fans, however. Montana fans may want to compare their results with GSU's. SoCon teams yet to face both teams may use the score to assess future games. And it could even play into some type of tie-breaker scenario.

That being said, it is an unimportant game to the rest of the SoCon, to FCS as a whole. It will be of limited interest SBC fans - there will be real SBC games played by real SBC teams that Saturday.

This may be the "bowl game" for both ASU and GSU. In fact, it would be interesting to see if the two schools could move the game back to Thanksgiving weekend. But it won't be on "linear TV".

Let's face it, ASU and GSU will be in limbo in 2013. Not really participating in the SoCon race. Kind of like we're separated and waiting for the divorce to become final so we can all move on.

I know it will have no real bearing on most FCS teams but it is the farewell tour for two of the subdivision's most historic programs and a great rivalry. I think most FCS fans will still be interested to see how the game turns out like any other year.

Montana had been eliminated from playoff contention three weeks before but I watched the Brawl of the Wild from start to finish. It's good football. App/GSU should be a hell of a game.

I could be wrong but I think just as many FCS fans watch games from other conferences for that reason as for the indirect impact it could have on their team. Even with App ineligible for the playoffs, I'll still be checking the scores and watching what I can from other FCS conferences.

The Cats
June 4th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by CID1990

1) Georgia Southern
2) Chattanooga
3) ASU
4) The Citadel
5) Samford
6) Wofford
7) Furman
8) WCU
9) Elon

It would be nice for WCU to get at least 2 conference wins. xthumbsupx

eaglewraith
June 4th, 2013, 10:18 AM

This is why I think Wofford has a rough year. It won't be bad, but it won't measure up to the last few seasons. I'm also interested to see what happens with the new DC. It's a lot different working under someone making the calls and having to make the calls yourself. It shouldn't be much of a switchover, but it all depends in on how he gameplans and manages gameday.

CID1990
June 4th, 2013, 10:23 AM

As long as they are just three points less good than last year, I'll take it!

CID1990
June 4th, 2013, 10:28 AM
It would be nice for WCU to get at least 2 conference wins. xthumbsupx

I expect WCU to beat Elon and steal one from someone else. Just hope it isn't us.

WCU last year actually had a good offense, it was just that their defense wasn't very good. They shore up that D and they're in the mix.

phoenix3
June 4th, 2013, 10:31 AM
I expect WCU to beat Elon and steal one from someone else. Just hope it isn't us.

WCU last year actually had a good offense, it was just that their defense wasn't very good. They shore up that D and they're in the mix.

WCU made a starting QB boo boo or they would have beaten Elon last year. We had absolutely no answer for Mitchell. Hate to say it but it's true.

PaladinFan
June 4th, 2013, 10:47 AM
WCU made a starting QB boo boo or they would have beaten Elon last year. We had absolutely no answer for Mitchell. Hate to say it but it's true.

I was surprised to see how far Elon had fallen. Even a 3-8 Furman team beat the Phoenix like a drum on the road. What was the story?

CID1990
June 4th, 2013, 10:55 AM
I was surprised to see how far Elon had fallen. Even a 3-8 Furman team beat the Phoenix like a drum on the road. What was the story?

It really isn't a Riddle how they fell off.

Apphole
June 4th, 2013, 10:56 AM

There program is in LIMBO.

PaladinFan
June 4th, 2013, 11:02 AM

What do you call rising from the ashes and then going back again?

Sandlapper Spike
June 4th, 2013, 11:20 AM
What do you call rising from the ashes and then going back again?

Being fed to the lions...

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 4th, 2013, 12:16 PM
It seems like every year now we are dubbing Chatty the dark horse if not the favorite to win the conference. Not buying that this year. They might win the conference by virtue of GSU and App. State not being eligible but no way in heck do they have the best conference record of all the 9 teams.

Wofford has had plenty of good squads without any standout back. They will have another good team this year. Look for them to finish in the top 3 of all the teams. They are my pick to finish top among the eligible teams.

Much as I really hate to say it, I see App. State having the best conference record among all 9 teams. GSU just won't have the pass defense this year and UTC and Samford are most likely not going to win at Boone. I think they will take one conference loss at either Wofford or El Cid.

GlassOnion
June 4th, 2013, 12:30 PM
It seems like every year now we are dubbing Chatty the dark horse if not the favorite to win the conference. Not buying that this year. They might win the conference by virtue of GSU and App. State not being eligible but no way in heck do they have the best conference record of all the 9 teams.

Wofford has had plenty of good squads without any standout back. They will have another good team this year. Look for them to finish in the top 3 of all the teams. They are my pick to finish top among the eligible teams.

Much as I really hate to say it, I see App. State having the best conference record among all 9 teams. GSU just won't have the pass defense this year and UTC and Samford are most likely not going to win at Boone. I think they will take one conference loss at either Wofford or El Cid.

The GSU D is exactly why I see App in the #1 spot. With the WR corps returning, the OL returning and 5th year, healthy Jamal Jackson, moving the ball through the air seems to be the way to go, especially without Russell pushing in JJ's face. The App D will be exponentially better under Woody, and with App's offense, the defense doesnt really need be much more than average for App to have a great year.

I think Wofford has a less than average year, and that they, Furman, Samford and The Citadel battle it out in the middle teir, with just 1 of those teams knocking off App, and I dont think it will be The Citadel or Samford.

Apphole
June 4th, 2013, 12:49 PM
1. App
2. GSU
3. Samford
4. Chatty
5. Citadel
6. Wofford
7. WCU
8. Furman
9. Elon

Smitty
June 4th, 2013, 12:54 PM
1. App
2. GSU
3. Samford
4. Chatty
5. Citadel
6. Wofford
7. WCU
8. Furman
9. Elon

That is almost the nicest thing you've said to me...

catamount man
June 4th, 2013, 12:56 PM
You know everything CID 1990 has stated has come true. A part of me thinks I should be quiet and listen more. Bro is seriously on with his posts, predictions, etc. and I don't post this in a smart-ass kind of way. Bro knows more than any SoCon fan I've ever met. Good stuff!

parr90
June 4th, 2013, 12:58 PM

Interesting question of whether the GSU/UF game will make a splash. After the scare Furman put into Florida two years ago, I would imagine there won't be any sneaking up on the Gators. Will Muschamp had a lot of blubbering responses to tough questions after that game. I imagine he won't willingly do that twice.

I actually think it will be. I think that people are going to be interested in this game and that the SBC fans will be interested in seeing their two new teams coming in to the conference. To see what they have so to speak. People now will have this idea, even though not true, that App and GSU because are now FBS that they are somehow going to have stronger teams this year. Not true because we know that this kind of move takes teams a few years recruiting to get the talent level, but many think this anyway and I think folks will be interested.

As far as Florida the one difference will be that GSU brings back a potent offense that we all know gives fits to teams (sometimes) like Florida because they never see it. Florida may be more prepared to not take lightly another FCS team but GSU may give them a run considering.

PaladinFan
June 4th, 2013, 12:59 PM

I was just thinking trying to figure out the last time WCU finished a game within 3 touchdowns of Furman. They played a close game in Greenville maybe 2009?

Apphole
June 4th, 2013, 12:59 PM

I've said it before, man. Spier is a fine coach and that new QB of yours is dangerous. I mean, you'll still get blown out by App xsmiley_wix, but I think you'll snatch a few SoCon wins this year.

PaladinFan
June 4th, 2013, 01:01 PM
I actually think it will be. I think that people are going to be interested in this game and that the SBC fans will be interested in seeing their two new teams coming in to the conference. To see what they have so to speak. People now will have this idea, even though not true, that App and GSU because are now FBS that they are somehow going to have stronger teams this year. Not true because we know that this kind of move takes teams a few years recruiting to get the talent level, but many think this anyway and I think folks will be interested.

As far as Florida the one difference will be that GSU brings back a potent offense that we all know gives fits to teams (sometimes) like Florida because they never see it. Florida may be more prepared to not take lightly another FCS team but GSU may give them a run considering.

I just remember Furman had to play Clemson a week or two after App upset Michigan. There was a story of Tommy Bowden holding up the Sports Illustrated cover of that game, and telling his team this better not be you.

That was a game I thought Furman could give Clemson a decent show. We didn't. Hard to beat those FBS teams when you can't sneak up on them.

parr90
June 4th, 2013, 01:04 PM
The GSU D is exactly why I see App in the #1 spot. With the WR corps returning, the OL returning and 5th year, healthy Jamal Jackson, moving the ball through the air seems to be the way to go, especially without Russell pushing in JJ's face. The App D will be exponentially better under Woody, and with App's offense, the defense doesnt really need be much more than average for App to have a great year.

I think Wofford has a less than average year, and that they, Furman, Samford and The Citadel battle it out in the middle teir, with just 1 of those teams knocking off App, and I dont think it will be The Citadel or Samford.

On the other hand I think GSU fields some good D lineman this year and linebackers that may make us better at rushing the passer. Secondary loses a great safety but we have some good ones that have played alot. I think our D is going to be fine. The GSU offense is going to be clicking on all cylinders this year as well.

GlassOnion
June 4th, 2013, 01:06 PM
People now will have this idea, even though not true, that App and GSU because are now FBS that they are somehow going to have stronger teams this year. Not true because we know that this kind of move takes teams a few years recruiting to get the talent level, but many think this anyway and I think folks will be interested.

It is true in some respects. Most of App's troubles last year stemmed from injury and depth issues. The extra 5-7 scholarships will give us more depth than any other FCS team. Transfer RBs, LBs, and a 5th year SEC Safety are examples of this. Not to mention, everyone pretty much knew or guessed we were moving FBS. App's 2014 class is evidence of that.

parr90
June 4th, 2013, 01:09 PM

It may not be important to people like you but I would bet that most FCS fans will be curious to see the score of the App GSU game because both are leaving for bigger things and its just something that people have interest in. The fact that these two teams are leaving and moving to go FBS and have been the top two teams in the conference over the years will peek peoples interest in the game. Unimportant or not people will be interested.

Smitty
June 4th, 2013, 01:12 PM
It is true in some respects. Most of App's troubles last year stemmed from injury and depth issues. The extra 5-7 scholarships will give us more depth than any other FCS team. Transfer RBs, LBs, and a 5th year SEC Safety are examples of this. Not to mention, everyone pretty much knew or guessed we were moving FBS. App's 2014 class is evidence of that.

Didn't I read on the app forums that they used the available scholarships for people that are already on the team?

parr90
June 4th, 2013, 01:15 PM

Yes but your 2014 class isnt going to determine how good you are this year and I hope you meant 2013 because 2014 isnt here yet. The point is that people have this idea that once a team has announced they are going FBS that all of a sudden their team is supposed to be FBS talented. Yes the announcement helps in the recruiting but none of us will see the benefits of it for a couple years. Both teams are still playing with the FCS recruits but the fact that both have announced going FBS people that dont really understand how things work think that their teams are better all of a sudden was my point. But people will be FCS and SBC will be interested in this game.

GlassOnion
June 4th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Didn't I read on the app forums that they used the available scholarships for people that are already on the team?

Mostly true. My examples werent really that great, considering several transfers are not on scholarship, though App moving FBS probably helped us get them. Several veteran walkons have already recieved schollies, and word is a few preferred walkons, who would have been here anyway may get some. Sounds like we may hold onto a few schollies late in case we get a good shot at a big time spot of need kind of guy.

A transfer or 2 Ive heard about are not on the roster yet. I would guess they'll start in the summer or Fall. Its hard keeping up with all the new guys. It looks like we've got 50 freshmen at the moment, including last year's red shirts.

parr90
June 4th, 2013, 01:21 PM
I just remember Furman had to play Clemson a week or two after App upset Michigan. There was a story of Tommy Bowden holding up the Sports Illustrated cover of that game, and telling his team this better not be you.

That was a game I thought Furman could give Clemson a decent show. We didn't. Hard to beat those FBS teams when you can't sneak up on them.

Well if your players feel they have to sneak up to win then they have already lost. I get your point but I also think GSU's offense, especially this year, will be able to create some points against Florida, without sneaking. Im not here saying we are going to win, I just think we will play hard and play to win and I think we bring something to the table that gives teams, like Florida, problems because they dont ever face it. They may be prepared like you say to not have a let down but our offense will still keep us in it a while. Now if our D is bad this year it might get ugly.

GlassOnion
June 4th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Yes but your 2014 class isnt going to determine how good you are this year and I hope you meant 2013 because 2014 isnt here yet. The point is that people have this idea that once a team has announced they are going FBS that all of a sudden their team is supposed to be FBS talented. Yes the announcement helps in the recruiting but none of us will see the benefits of it for a couple years. Both teams are still playing with the FCS recruits but the fact that both have announced going FBS people that dont really understand how things work think that their teams are better all of a sudden was my point. But people will be FCS and SBC will be interested in this game.

Yes 2013. And all but 1 of App's recruits had at least 1 FBS offer. Most had multiple. And several may start, or be on the 2 deep, as is typical with App. The added depth, and competition for starting jobs will be an advantage.

CID1990
June 4th, 2013, 01:24 PM
You know everything CID 1990 has stated has come true. A part of me thinks I should be quiet and listen more. Bro is seriously on with his posts, predictions, etc. and I don't post this in a smart-ass kind of way. Bro knows more than any SoCon fan I've ever met. Good stuff!

Well, I did predict ASU would beat Michigan.

parr90
June 4th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Yes 2013. And all but 1 of App's recruits had at least 1 FBS offer. Most had multiple. And several may start, or be on the 2 deep, as is typical with App. The added depth, and competition for starting jobs will be an advantage.

What you are saying may be true but I dont think that the FBS move will have any effect other than an emotional one, which can also be big, on how your football team plays this year. You basically still have the same team and most of your players that are actually going to play are the guys that were signed while FCS. You may have a couple that come in and play that wouldnt have chose App had they not gone FBS but most your team will be guys playing that have already been there. I doubt you have a bunch of freshman come in and play, maybe a couple, and if you do its not a good thing for your team. A college team with a bunch of freshman playing isnt a good sign regardless of who offered them to play football. Im sure App has plenty of talent already in place, they always have.

SpiritCymbal
June 4th, 2013, 01:41 PM

I think that's a fair assessment. We lost a lot on defense from this past year. We've got some real talent out there and good size but a lot of it is untested. I think offensively though, we are going to be primed to have a better showing than the last couple of years. Sounds like during the spring, the coaches have been hard at work throwing in a lot of new wrinkles and our offense could look a lot different that fans of both schools have been use to.

GlassOnion
June 4th, 2013, 01:47 PM
I'll wait to see where we are in the Fall. So far, it seems we've only added depth, but if we can find an upgrade at 1 or 2 positions, it has the potential to be huge. Last year, 1 good safety could have gotten us to the semi finals IMO.

SpiritCymbal
June 4th, 2013, 01:49 PM

We have several of our own fans that are guilty of that. We announced our move to I-A a couple of months ago and all of a sudden our roster is filled with 2-star and 3-star athletes even though no one has been added or subtracted since that announcement. hahahaha....

ASUMountaineer
June 4th, 2013, 02:55 PM

I'm disappointed in your devaluing of App's victory in that game. Surely Michigan knew what was coming with the App's. If UM wasn't prepared, then that is poor preparation for battle. A football game isn't 100% physical.

As someone that was actually at the game (front row to be exact), none of the Michigan fans I spoke to said App "sneaked up on Michigan." That's a cheap, lazy way to defend the losing team. xsmhx

ASUMountaineer
June 4th, 2013, 02:58 PM

I don't know of any SoCon matchup that will be. Did that change from last year?

ASUMountaineer
June 4th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Decided to serve only a tie breaking role. Reality.

FIFY

ASUMountaineer
June 4th, 2013, 02:59 PM
This.

Haven't several App posters already agreed with you on this? I know that I did.

PaladinFan
June 4th, 2013, 03:30 PM

We won't stop until we smite every last ounce of unreasonable positions out of your fan base.

Apphole
June 4th, 2013, 03:36 PM
No one claimed we be drawing every unaffiliated red neck in Louisiana away from the LSU game. The point (which as usual has been completely skewed convoluted) is that there is plenty of interest from several demographics in the 2013 App vs GaSo game.

CID1990
June 4th, 2013, 06:30 PM
No one claimed we be drawing every unaffiliated red neck in Louisiana away from the LSU game. The point (which as usual has been completely skewed convoluted) is that there is plenty of interest from several demographics in the 2013 App vs GaSo game.

Source?

CID1990
June 4th, 2013, 06:31 PM

I'm not arguing the point, just stating it.

seantaylor
June 5th, 2013, 12:14 AM

Furman isn't GSU, especially the 2013 version of GSU. Apples and oranges.

PaladinFan
June 5th, 2013, 05:02 AM
Furman isn't GSU, especially the 2013 version of GSU. Apples and oranges.

For the record, Furman has had teams as good as GSU is now. They've played BCS schools. They nearly beat a few. The talent gap is huge between the BCS and everyone else (GSU, SunBelt, Furman, SoCon - does not matter).

These games are close because the opponent does not take FCS programs as seriously as they should. They do so at their peril. That is just my opinion.

CID1990
June 5th, 2013, 07:38 AM
For the record, Furman has had teams as good as GSU is now. They've played BCS schools. They nearly beat a few. The talent gap is huge between the BCS and everyone else (GSU, SunBelt, Furman, SoCon - does not matter).

These games are close because the opponent does not take FCS programs as seriously as they should. They do so at their peril. That is just my opinion.

Agreed. If USC or Arkansas had not been looking past us we never would have beaten them.

FBS players (and coaches- regardless of what they say) are just as arrogant about FCS as the FBS fans are. They go through the motions of being prepared, but on game day they fully expect to win by showing up. If there was truly parity, then losing to FCS teams wouldn't cost people their jobs the way it does.

PaladinFan
June 5th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Agreed. If USC or Arkansas had not been looking past us we never would have beaten them.

FBS players (and coaches- regardless of what they say) are just as arrogant about FCS as the FBS fans are. They go through the motions of being prepared, but on game day they fully expect to win by showing up. If there was truly parity, then losing to FCS teams wouldn't cost people their jobs the way it does.

It certainly is not to cheapen the accomplishments of those teams. I just think that is the reality. Granted, I do think that the complete ignorance of the quality of FCS football is so prevalent, that it is almost a given. So, these closer-than-expected games will continue to happen.

ASUMountaineer
June 5th, 2013, 08:17 AM
We won't stop until we smite every last ounce of unreasonable positions out of your fan base.

I hope you're only hoping to accomplish this with App fans, because there's a lot of unreasonable positions held by fan bases across the country, and I'm sure your time is valuable. xawesomex

phoenix3
June 5th, 2013, 10:05 AM
We constantly hear that Riddle was the reason the team thrived for those few years or Hudgins or something/someone else. My take is that Lembo was the #1 factor. After 2 3-8 seasons, which we all know plays havoc with recruiting, Lembo came in and with a personnel decimated team pulled off a 5 - 6 season with a top 25 win against Coastal. This was before Riddle came. Lembo had the ability to fashion a system to fit the personnel. Take a look at Ball State, he's doing it there now too. Our current coach is trying to build from the ground up. Will he be able to do that? Who knows? But put very simply I don't expect a return to glory in the 2013 season.

PaladinFan
June 5th, 2013, 10:06 AM
I hope you're only hoping to accomplish this with App fans, because there's a lot of unreasonable positions held by fan bases across the country, and I'm sure your time is valuable. xawesomex

I go wherever the call takes me.

PaladinFan
June 5th, 2013, 10:09 AM
We constantly hear that Riddle was the reason the team thrived for those few years or Hudgins or something/someone else. My take is that Lembo was the #1 factor. After 2 3-8 seasons, which we all know plays havoc with recruiting, Lembo came in and with a personnel decimated team pulled off a 5 - 6 season with a top 25 win against Coastal. This was before Riddle came. Lembo had the ability to fashion a system to fit the personnel. Take a look at Ball State, he's doing it there now too. Our current coach is trying to build from the ground up. Will he be able to do that? Who knows? But put very simply I don't expect a return to glory in the 2013 season.

From my seat, Elon moved to a spread passing system, had some good receivers, and did have a good quarterback. In FCS football, having a good quarterback can take you a long way. They never particularly played defense.

Eat More Honey
June 5th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Hey fellas, just joined. Maybe only Mercer fan here, but hopefully that will change. We are jacked about being a part of the SoCon and I look forward to some new healthy/heated future rivalries! Soooooo glad to be out of the A-Sun. I'm telling you (with some inside dope) Mercer is very dedicated to bolstering it's Athletics. Only NCAA Lacrosse in the state, at large bid for baseball, and basketball won it's conference (plus beat UT in the NIT). Might be a while before we compete in football, but I think we fit pretty nicely in a classy conference. Go Bears.

asumike83
June 5th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Hey fellas, just joined. Maybe only Mercer fan here, but hopefully that will change. We are jacked about being a part of the SoCon and I look forward to some new healthy/heated future rivalries! Soooooo glad to be out of the A-Sun. I'm telling you (with some inside dope) Mercer is very dedicated to bolstering it's Athletics. Only NCAA Lacrosse in the state, at large bid for baseball, and basketball won it's conference (plus beat UT in the NIT). Might be a while before we compete in football, but I think we fit pretty nicely in a classy conference. Go Bears.

Welcome to the SoCon. Great user name.

Eat More Honey
June 5th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Thanks, it was actually the slogan for my Freshman year. Then I think the
administration realized the amount of innuendo jokes available and they squashed it. Still used heavily though by old fans.

hapapp
June 5th, 2013, 11:54 AM

Most of additional scholarships went to players already on the ASU roster.

ElCid
June 5th, 2013, 11:56 AM

Welcome aboard. I am pretty happy with the addition of Mercer all around. I don't think it will take Mercer long to make it presence felt in football considering your coach and the apparent commitment it is making to facilities. In '15 or at the latest, '16 I think you start being truly competitive. I look forward to seeing your completed stadium and coming up for that first Citadel game. Unfortunately (for us) your presence will be immediately felt in Baseball.

344Johnson
June 5th, 2013, 12:15 PM
It certainly is not to cheapen the accomplishments of those teams. I just think that is the reality. Granted, I do think that the complete ignorance of the quality of FCS football is so prevalent, that it is almost a given. So, these closer-than-expected games will continue to happen.

IMO, only about the top 25 or 30 teams in FCS can make an argument for being quality. There are a lot of garbage programs out there.

SpeedkingATL
June 5th, 2013, 03:36 PM

Welcome to the SoCon. Even though App is on the way out the door, living in ATL I'll keep up with the conference and will have a new favorite local team to cheer for in Mercer. Good luck to the Bears and Coach Lamb.

CID1990
June 5th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Welcome to the SoCon. Even though App is on the way out the door, living in ATL I'll keep up with the conference and will have a new favorite local team to cheer for in Mercer. Good luck to the Bears and Coach Lamb.

Hope he goes fer two!

Jiggs
June 5th, 2013, 04:33 PM

Welcome. It will be great to have Samford and Mercer in the same conference again. In football, we last played in Mercer's final year - 1941. I'm looking forward to 2014.

Sir William
June 5th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Hope he goes fer two!

Me too. xnodx

ursus arctos horribilis
June 5th, 2013, 05:11 PM

Welcome, glad you posted. When I first saw the name I thought we were getting spammed by Sue Bee Honey. xlolx

Waco Kid
June 6th, 2013, 12:54 PM

From what I can gather, we have 1 Ole Miss transfer, 1 late signee, 3 walkons move to scholarship, 2 players returning after graduating, and then all the partials moved to full scholarships. So we will basically have 4 additional players on the roster even though we have 11 more scholarships. The 2 players that returned after graduation both started a few games and played regularly so they will definitely see a lot of action.

terrierbob
June 11th, 2013, 05:02 PM

Glad you're coming in. One hour drive from where I live, good friend a Mercer alum, great stadium, and Natalia's, the best Italian restaurant outside of ATL, and better than most in ATL. What's not to like?