PDA

View Full Version : Nova' to Patriot

Pages : 1 [2]

Pard4Life
May 29th, 2013, 01:26 PM
If so, that's the day I mow my lawn.

If the Team Tavani keeps it up, you might as well do it in the fall too. And I may go apple picking.

PAllen
May 29th, 2013, 05:28 PM
... with two nearby rivals in Loyola and Navy in-league it would vastly open up their OOC slate to play other schools.
First of all, it's lacrosse. You can play a quarter of the teams in the country if you want to.
Second, they're currently independent. If an open OOC slate is a primary concern, then they can't do better than they have now. Honestly, it's probably a move for associate membership in either the Big 10 or an expanded ACC lacrosse conference.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 29th, 2013, 05:32 PM
First of all, it's lacrosse. You can play a quarter of the teams in the country if you want to.
Second, they're currently independent. If an open OOC slate is a primary concern, then they can't do better than they have now. Honestly, it's probably a move for associate membership in either the Big 10 or an expanded ACC lacrosse conference.

My handicapping of the situation right now is ACC first, independent second, B1G third. (Remember they're just looking into it; they might decide to just sit on their hands and do nothing, too.) If the ACC still had Maryland, we wouldn't even be having this conversation: even without Maryland, there's a lot to like to be in the absolute best conference for lax, with Duke, UNC, and now Syracuse.

PAllen
May 29th, 2013, 05:41 PM
My handicapping of the situation right now is ACC first, independent second, B1G third. (Remember they're just looking into it; they might decide to just sit on their hands and do nothing, too.) If the ACC still had Maryland, we wouldn't even be having this conversation: even without Maryland, there's a lot to like to be in the absolute best conference for lax, with Duke, UNC, and now Syracuse.

I'd go Indy 1st, ACC 2nd, B1G 3rd, but who knows. Also, for your OOC analysis, must play games for Hop are Maryland, UNC, Princeton, Navy, and Syracuse, with strong preferences for Towson, Loyola, Duke, and Cornell. UVa and Notre Dame are nice to haves along with just about anyone else who will come to Homewood and lose. That puts the entire new ACC in the nice to have and above categories, while the B1G offers Blue Jay fans a bunch of teams they'd rather not play anyway. Has Penn State ever traveled to Homewood?

Laker
May 29th, 2013, 06:08 PM
I don't know much about lacrosse but I would think that Johns Hopkins would be more likely to go with the ACC than the Big Ten. The ACC already has Notre Dame as a non-football playing member, and now that the BIG has their own hockey conference I'm not sure how many schools that they would want in for only one sport. But who knows- things are almost unpredictable in sports today.

ccd494
June 2nd, 2013, 09:50 PM

Ahem.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/lacrosse-blog/bal-johns-hopkins-lacrosse-program-to-join-big-ten-20130602,0,1998652.story

Laker
June 2nd, 2013, 10:16 PM
Ahem.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/lacrosse-blog/bal-johns-hopkins-lacrosse-program-to-join-big-ten-20130602,0,1998652.story

Wow. I'm surprised that the Big Ten would take a one sport only team, but Johns Hopkins has the tradition. This has to help Big Ten lacrosse. I wonder if any other Big Ten schools are planning on starting up the sport.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 2nd, 2013, 10:42 PM
The university’s affiliation with a conference included several criteria. They include an initial membership term of five years, an option to extend membership after the first three years, a guarantee that the university’s affiliation would remain unchanged despite movement within the conference, and a guarantee that the school’s contractual agreement with ESPNU would not be impacted.

But the Big Ten has its own television network. It is unclear how the Blue Jays’ contract – which was recently extended through 2017 – will be impacted by the move to the league.

Two huge unanswered questions. If true, that means the B1G has 1) basically guaranteed that up to three more B1G teams won't be starting up lacrosse, and 2) allowed JHU to keep their TV contract intact, in which case, what does the B1G get out of it? As a matter of fact, with very, very little new TV inventory and putting a forced cap on organic growth of B1G lacrosse... really... what good does it do the B1G at all?

ccd494
June 3rd, 2013, 09:44 AM
Two huge unanswered questions. If true, that means the B1G has 1) basically guaranteed that up to three more B1G teams won't be starting up lacrosse, and 2) allowed JHU to keep their TV contract intact, in which case, what does the B1G get out of it? As a matter of fact, with very, very little new TV inventory and putting a forced cap on organic growth of B1G lacrosse... really... what good does it do the B1G at all?

I don't understand where you get point 1 from. All that means is that if more big ten schools start lacrosse, it doesn't affect JHU's involvement.

And what does the Big Ten gain? An autobid???? Kind of a big deal. JHU is team #6 after Rutgers and Maryland join. The guarantee JHU got was that if, say, Minnesota started lax, the B1G wouldn't kick them to the curb now that they have enough to have an autobid with core members.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 3rd, 2013, 09:47 AM
I don't understand where you get point 1 from. All that means is that if more big ten schools start lacrosse, it doesn't affect JHU's involvement.

Suppose the league gets too big. Or doesn't want to share the money anymore. Or doesn't want their ass kicked in every year by JHU. There are plenty of reasons for JHU to get evicted in place of a full member.

aceinthehole
June 3rd, 2013, 09:54 AM

And what does the Big Ten gain? An autobid???? Kind of a big deal. JHU is team #6 after Rutgers and Maryland join. The guarantee JHU got was that if, say, Minnesota started lax, the B1G wouldn't kick them to the curb now that they have enough to have an autobid with core members.

+1

ccd494
June 3rd, 2013, 09:58 AM
Suppose the league gets too big. Or doesn't want to share the money anymore. Or doesn't want their ass kicked in every year by JHU. There are plenty of reasons for JHU to get evicted in place of a full member.

Lots of "if's" and "maybe's" there to compare to the sure thing of getting an autobid the minute Rutgers and Maryland join the league.

andy7171
June 3rd, 2013, 10:01 AM
So Penn State is leaving the CAA next year? Good riddance.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 3rd, 2013, 10:07 AM
Lots of "if's" and "maybe's" there to compare to the sure thing of getting an autobid the minute Rutgers and Maryland join the league.

"Ifs" that involve money, meaning they can't be taken lightly. Also, what's the big friggin' deal about an autobid? Minnesota adds lax, they get an autobid anyway since they would have six members that have competed together since forever (Ohio State, Michigan, Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State, and Minnesota), and they don't have to buy out JHU's TV contract.

No, if the announcement is indeed today, it's a way for the B1G to buy insta-prestige for their lax conference, and nothing more than that. I also have a feeling that they overpaid for what they're getting, since they'll have had to buy out the ESPN contract.

FWIW I'm starting to wonder if JHU and the ACC have something personally against each other.

Babar
June 3rd, 2013, 10:13 AM
"Ifs" that involve money, meaning they can't be taken lightly. Also, what's the big friggin' deal about an autobid? Minnesota adds lax, they get an autobid anyway since they would have six members that have competed together since forever (Ohio State, Michigan, Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State, and Minnesota), and they don't have to buy out JHU's TV contract.

No, if the announcement is indeed today, it's a way for the B1G to buy insta-prestige for their lax conference, and nothing more than that. I also have a feeling that they overpaid for what they're getting, since they'll have had to buy out the ESPN contract.

FWIW I'm starting to wonder if JHU and the ACC have something personally against each other.

Site says JHU to Big Ten.

Babar
June 3rd, 2013, 10:17 AM
Summary: B1G adds men's lax as conference sport in 2015. PSU, OSU, Michigan, Maryland, Rutgers and JHU will be six competitors. Conference will get an autobid.

Laker
June 3rd, 2013, 10:20 AM
Article says that both JH men's and women's teams will be joining. I though that an earlier article said only the men's, but this is the Big Ten's release.

http://btn.com/2013/06/03/big-ten-adds-lacrosse-johns-hopkins-men/

Lehigh Football Nation
June 3rd, 2013, 10:29 AM
Article says that both JH men's and women's teams will be joining. I though that an earlier article said only the men's, but this is the Big Ten's release.

http://btn.com/2013/06/03/big-ten-adds-lacrosse-johns-hopkins-men/

That part about the women's team is very interesting.

andy7171
June 3rd, 2013, 11:29 AM
Hopkins WLAX is staying independant.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 3rd, 2013, 12:28 PM
Hopkins WLAX is staying independant.

Delany said Johns Hopkins’ relationship with ESPNU would not conflict with the Big Ten Network.

“There was really nothing that they wanted to achieve that we couldn’t accommodate,” he said. “For example, ESPNU, it was important for them to maintain that relationship, and we understood that from the beginning. That was not a problem for us. We think it’s good for them and good for us.”

So the B1G doesn't get a lot in return for their investment except for short-term conference strength. In men's lax only. Though they maintain a relationship with Maryland.

It was thought that the ACC and Big East were interested in the Blue Jays, but Calder said he had no contact with the ACC. Calder said the quality of competition in the Big Ten was a draw for the university.

My only conclusion is that JHU and the ACC hate each other, and the ACC was never an option.

With Denver announcing Friday that it will depart the ECAC for the Big East in time for next season, Air Force, Bellarmine, Fairfield and Hobart will be left looking for a new home. The CAA will still have six members in Towson, Delaware, Drexel, Hofstra, Massachusetts and St. Joseph’s.

Gotta believe the CAA will by the destination of at least a few of these schools, most notably Hobart, who will never head back to the PL. Wonder where Fairfield might end up. Would love to see AFA join up with Army and Navy in the PL.

aceinthehole
June 3rd, 2013, 12:45 PM
The NEC is certainly looking for MLax members, as the league is down to just 4 teams (Bryant, Robert Morris, Sacred Heart, and Wagner) and will lose the AQ. Bryant finished the season #20 in the country.

I too, wonder what Fairfiled will do? Makes sense to join the MAAC (its conference home for all other sports), but I know the rest of the MAAC schools doesn't fully fund their teams, so it would be a step down., unless Quinnipiac and Monmouth raise the bar leaguewide. Otherwise, the Patriot makes the most sense for the Stags, but will the league take on an associate? Air Force would also fit great in the PL - is their interest from either side?

Where is Bellarmine? Could they and Hobart consider the NEC or America East, who is down to the AQ minimum 6-teams (Albany, Binghamton, Hartford, UMBC, Stony Brook, and Vermont)?

bison137
June 3rd, 2013, 12:46 PM

Doesn't JHU's contract with the Big 10 protect them from this scenario?

bison137
June 3rd, 2013, 12:47 PM
Otherwise, the Patriot makes the most sense for the Stags, but will the league take on an associate? Air Force would also fit great in the PL - is their interest from either side?

I'm sure Fairfield would jump at the chance to move to the PL - but there is no interest on the PL side. No interest in any associate member, including Air Force.

PAllen
June 3rd, 2013, 01:00 PM
So the B1G doesn't get a lot in return for their investment except for short-term conference strength. In men's lax only. Though they maintain a relationship with Maryland.

"It was thought that the ACC and Big East were interested in the Blue Jays, but Calder said he had no contact with the ACC. Calder said the quality of competition in the Big Ten was a draw for the university."

My only conclusion is that JHU and the ACC hate each other, and the ACC was never an option.

Gotta believe the CAA will by the destination of at least a few of these schools, most notably Hobart, who will never head back to the PL. Wonder where Fairfield might end up. Would love to see AFA join up with Army and Navy in the PL.

Calder's quote points more to the fact that they were looking for a conference they could dominate and thus all but garuntee a playoff spot every year. Make no mistake about it, that's the only reason for this move. Joining the ACC brings them nothing, as they wouldn't win that autobid every year. In the Big 10, they will for at least the next few years.

aceinthehole
June 3rd, 2013, 01:00 PM
I'm sure Fairfield would jump at the chance to move to the PL - but there is no interest on the PL side. No interest in any associate member, including Air Force.

Really? I see why the PL doesn't need/want Fairfield, but wouldn't Air Force be a seemingly perfect fit with along side of Army and Navy? Seems to be a rare case of an associate membership that makes a lot of sense.

Pard4Life
June 3rd, 2013, 01:22 PM
Really? I see why the PL doesn't need/want Fairfield, but wouldn't Air Force be a seemingly perfect fit with along side of Army and Navy? Seems to be a rare case of an associate membership that makes a lot of sense.

Beat me to it. Army and Navy may like the idea of Air Force in the PL: a true Commander-in-Chief's Trophy competition. But, can you really see Lafayette (as c2 says... if it's not within a bus trip, forget it) or Holy Cross traveling to Colorado Springs every other year? Come to think of it, the only sport that actually 'travels' at LC is basketball, and maybe twice at most per year. We just don't do it.

Hobart was an associate at one time and Fairfield was in field hockey... so it's not that odd. In fact, I thought that Fairfield, not Loyola, was going to be the next full PL member.

Pard4Life
June 3rd, 2013, 01:22 PM
So... about football... xrotatehx

RichH2
June 3rd, 2013, 02:01 PM
Well, if you insist, SN out picks Gate to win, LU 2,Pards at 4.

Pard4Life
June 3rd, 2013, 02:09 PM
Well, if you insist, SN out picks Gate to win, LU 2,Pards at 4.

They don't know what they are talking about... and they picked Lehigh as the best stadium... so... there you have it.

RichH2
June 3rd, 2013, 06:35 PM
TSN was venue issue. Sporting News PL picks. Mags always take chalk. Just getting back to football not necessary you agree w either issues. Yup.

aceinthehole
June 19th, 2013, 06:38 AM
The NEC is certainly looking for MLax members, as the league is down to just 4 teams (Bryant, Robert Morris, Sacred Heart, and Wagner) and will lose the AQ. Bryant finished the season #20 in the country.

I too, wonder what Fairfiled will do? Makes sense to join the MAAC (its conference home for all other sports), but I know the rest of the MAAC schools doesn't fully fund their teams, so it would be a step down., unless Quinnipiac and Monmouth raise the bar leaguewide. Otherwise, the Patriot makes the most sense for the Stags, but will the league take on an associate? Air Force would also fit great in the PL - is their interest from either side?

Where is Bellarmine? Could they and Hobart consider the NEC or America East, who is down to the AQ minimum 6-teams (Albany, Binghamton, Hartford, UMBC, Stony Brook, and Vermont)?

Fairfield to the CAA for men's lax in 2015

http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=208418960&DB_OEM_ID=8500