PDA

View Full Version : Shot clock still at 35 seconds for now

bonarae
May 10th, 2013, 05:48 AM
However, the NCAA men's basketball rules committee voted for additional replays at the end of regulation and overtime.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9259772/ncaa-basketball-rules-committee-approves-more-replays-bounds-shot-clock-violations

Do you think 35 seconds is still too long? And with the new replay system for end-games, do you think we will see less heartbreakers in the seasons to come?

bonarae
May 10th, 2013, 05:54 AM
This will be voted on June 18 by the overall Playing Rules Committee. If approved, these will be implemented next season.

bonarae
May 10th, 2013, 06:01 AM
Explanation of the rules changes to be voted on...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22217747/ncaa-set-to-vote-on-key-rule-changes-shot-clock-likely-to-remain

813Jag
May 14th, 2013, 09:21 AM
However, the NCAA men's basketball rules committee voted for additional replays at the end of regulation and overtime.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9259772/ncaa-basketball-rules-committee-approves-more-replays-bounds-shot-clock-violations

Do you think 35 seconds is still too long? And with the new replay system for end-games, do you think we will see less heartbreakers in the seasons to come?
35 is fine with me, now 45 seconds that was too long.

HailSzczur
May 16th, 2013, 10:14 AM
I dont like them going to the monitor that much at the end of the games. Sure I want to see a fairly called game, but all those stoppages give teams extra timeouts and extra advantages. I don't know how many times teams with no timeouts were able to huddle and draw up plays because the refs wanted to make sure it was 5.2 seconds left not 4.9. It's a crime for a team that managed the clock and their timeouts well

Nova09
May 31st, 2013, 10:53 AM
I dont like them going to the monitor that much at the end of the games. Sure I want to see a fairly called game, but all those stoppages give teams extra timeouts and extra advantages. I don't know how many times teams with no timeouts were able to huddle and draw up plays because the refs wanted to make sure it was 5.2 seconds left not 4.9. It's a crime for a team that managed the clock and their timeouts well

Agreed, and also I'm not confident replays have improved the game anyway. Back before replay was used in any sport, when the NFL was first debating, I was gung ho about using replay to get the calls right in all sports. While it has worked very well in football, there are many times the replay comes back "inconclusive" and is just a waste of time, and an argument could be made that the frequency with which calls are not overturned shows the whole system is a waste. Of course the counter argument is you need the calls not overturned to have the opportunity for the calls that are overturned. But anyway my point is with all the blown replays like the Colorado game this past season and the recent MLB HR call (don't even remember the teams) it seems the net value of replay (outside of football) is close to negligible.

Nova09
May 31st, 2013, 10:54 AM
Oh and for the shot clock, would prefer it reduced to 30 but no real objections to keeping it 35.

darell1976
May 31st, 2013, 11:07 AM
Oh and for the shot clock, would prefer it reduced to 30 but no real objections to keeping it 35.

It should be at 24 like NBA...who wouldn't love games going into the 100's.

Nova09
May 31st, 2013, 11:13 AM
It should be at 24 like NBA...who wouldn't love games going into the 100's.

It's a fine line, and obviously I don't know where that line is, but if you make the shot clock too short the skill differential between college players and the NBA players will become magnified. If they are rushing to beat the clock and don't have time to set their offense and read the defense, play will get sloppy and you'll have a lot of late clock forced jumpers or a lot of ill-advised drives to the basket because offense isn't set/players don't feel there is time for extra passes. Look at how effective a full court press or even 3-quarter/half court pressure is in college, and imagine teams spending the full 24 seconds trying to break that.

Of course the flip side is shorter shot clock means more possessions means more scoring and also more time for the superior team to rise above the inferior opponent, which are good things. That's why I think 30 is good for the college game.

darell1976
May 31st, 2013, 11:16 AM
It's a fine line, and obviously I don't know where that line is, but if you make the shot clock too short the skill differential between college players and the NBA players will become magnified. If they are rushing to beat the clock and don't have time to set their offense and read the defense, play will get sloppy and you'll have a lot of late clock forced jumpers or a lot of ill-advised drives to the basket because offense isn't set/players don't feel there is time for extra passes. Look at how effective a full court press or even 3-quarter/half court pressure is in college, and imagine teams spending the full 24 seconds trying to break that.

Of course the flip side is shorter shot clock means more possessions means more scoring and also more time for the superior team to rise above the inferior opponent, which are good things. That's why I think 30 is good for the college game.

30-35 is fine for me. Although I know fans love scoring. Kinda like in baseball where people don't want 1-0 games they want huge numbers. I guess that's why fans love football...not to many games are 3-0.

Laker
May 31st, 2013, 11:58 AM
I'd go with 30 seconds- easier to set up equipment for both the college men and women that way. As far as the end of games, I don't like the automatically stopped clock in the last minute. As HailSczcur said above: "It's a crime for a team that managed the clock and their timeouts well." I had plays for five seconds- three seconds and one second. I kept a time out for the last seconds. Now timeouts get used up like Kleenex. I liked having games end on a buzzer beater- now they are stopping with tenths of a second left and we have to juggle the decisions on how much time to put back on the clock.