PDA

View Full Version : Monmouth's Miles Austin Earns Roster Spot With Dallas Cowboys

aceinthehole
September 5th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Hawk Record-Holding Wide Receiver Makes 53-Man Roster
9/3/2006

West Long Branch, NJ -- Former Monmouth wide receiver and NEC All-Star Miles Austin is a member of the 2006 Dallas Cowboys after making the final cut, Cowboys officials announced on Saturday.

"I’m excited and ready to get this week going and try to help this team to a championship," said Austin. "Monmouth was the only team to give me a shot out of high school. I’m a loyal guy and even when I could have transferred as a sophomore I didn’t. Playing with them prepared me to get things done at the next level. I’m just really happy to be here."

The 6-3 wideout, signed with Dallas as an undrafted free agent a few days after the April 2006 Draft and had an outside shot of making the 53-man roster. But Monmouth’s all-time record holder in receptions, receiving yards and touchdown catches put his talents on display in a game against the New Orleans Saints on ESPN’s Monday Night Football. After making two special teams tackles, Austin hauled in a 48-yard touchdown reception from Cowboy’s quarterback Tony Romo to seal Dallas’ 30-7 victory.

“First I’d like to say that we are all really excited and happy for Miles,” said MU head coach Kevin Callahan, who coached Austin for four seasons in West Long Branch. “Play in the NFL is a great opportunity for him and he has worked hard to get where he is.”

Austin becomes the first Monmouth University player to make an NFL 53-man roster. Former Hawk wideout Will Holder signed on with the Oakland Raiders after a four-year successful Arena Football League run, but was released after training camp.

“Having a player come through the program and make it to the NFL say s a great deal about how far Monmouth football has come since 1993,” said Callahan. “Miles was one of the guys who helped our program to a new level and he was a great player and a great guy to coach.”

Austin and the Cowboys will face Jacksonville on the road in their first game of the season at 4:15 p.m.

Monmouth is 1-0 this season after defeating Fordham last night in their season opener, 23-9. The Hawks will face Morgan State at Kessler Field on Saturday, Sept. 9 at 1 p.m

http://www.northeastconference.org/News/fball/2006/9/3/mu-austinoncowboys.asp?path=fball

Pard4Life
September 5th, 2006, 11:10 AM
:hurray: That's awesome... read something in the Star-Leger on Sunday too.

rmutv
September 24th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Austin has not been active yet for the 'Boys, but with Terrell Owens likely out next week against the Titans and Jamaica Rector still nursing a sore leg, it's likely that rookies Sam Hurd (Owens' personal protege) and Miles Austin will at least be active against the Titans.

Depth Chart:
Terry Glenn
Patrick Crayton
Terrence Copper
Sam Hurd
Miles Austin

Parcells usually tries to take 5 wideouts, and Hurd and Copper play a lot of special teams. Austin could see time on the special teams unit in place of one of them.