PDA

View Full Version : NDSU and 'Bama

IBleedYellow
April 30th, 2013, 10:09 AM
TSN has a very cool article.

Enjoy the read.

"ButtBama" (http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2%2Fwriters%2Finfcshuddle%2Farchive%2Fha ley_04_30_2013.htm)

Southern Bison
April 30th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Good read...is it widely believed that our D actually surpass last season's?

NoDak 4 Ever
April 30th, 2013, 10:28 AM
I'm as big a fanboy as anyone but I thought this thing was just silly. Clearly not enough to write about now that Spring ball is over.

gumby013
April 30th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Anyone else shudder when they saw the thread title?

Silenoz
April 30th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Will someone please hire Bohl (and his entire staff) already! xbeerchugx

It is funny that earlier in the '00s DI had pretty good parity at the top at both levels, as opposed to the dominance by a few programs at the NAIA, DII and DIII levels. Now that's out the window

Sammy94
April 30th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Maybe Nick Saban could ask President Obama for a few more hall passes for the Bison.

So the varsity (Alabama) champions should give hall passes to the jv (NDSU) champs? So do they also need to give hall passes to the jr. high (Mount Union) champs also?

I agree with NoDak for a change. August can't get here soon enough.

IBleedYellow
April 30th, 2013, 10:57 AM

There are two beliefs:
1) We will be better when we get Colton Heagle (The Golden Eagle) back and lots of our defensive leaders being seniors.
2) Because this squad has played so many games in the past three years they are going to be dead when this season starts and prone to injury.

I'm going with #1.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 30th, 2013, 10:59 AM
There are two beliefs:
1) We will be better when we get Colton Heagle (The Golden Eagle) back and lots of our defensive leaders being seniors.
2) Because this squad has played so many games in the past three years they are going to be dead when this season starts and prone to injury.

I'm going with #1.

Agreed. Unless it's a major injury, 7 months rest should be plenty. These guys are young.

I can barely get out of bed after softball the next day, that's a different story.

FCS_pwns_FBS
April 30th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Another parallel...they both won spots in the national championship game by barely edging out Georgia teams who were the only teams that could get their defenses to budge. Those were probably the two best football games I watched all season last season.

BTW, I'm typically a fan of shootouts, but I would pay an ESPN3 subscriber fee to watch NDSU and Bama play this year. Two very similar offensive philosophies usually means a low-scoring game. I think Bama would win in a 19-3 type score and it would be fun watching Bama smack down other FBS teams that think they're overrated because they only beat a "DII" team by 17ish points

BEAR
April 30th, 2013, 12:07 PM
So if NDSU wins a third championship they will do what App did a few years ago? Then everyone will move on ..or up...and someone else will win it... doesn't sound like a big deal to me.

You mean that wasn't 'Bama playing Sammy last year???!!! xeyebrowx

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 30th, 2013, 12:18 PM

IMO, they will be better.

Just watch, the Bison will go into K-State and beat them.

The '13 defense is going to be 'scary' good!!

Bisonator
April 30th, 2013, 12:22 PM
It would be awesome to take on Bama. No doubt they would beat us soundly, but I would like to think we could keep it close for 3 quarters.

IBleedYellow
April 30th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Bama vs NDSU would hurt.

Bring on KSU, that's a FBS game I see us having a legit shot to win.

I'm saying we are GOING to win at K State.

PAllen
April 30th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Anyone else shudder when they saw the thread title?

Yeah, my first thought was: How about Mount Union and NDSU?

Hammerhead
May 1st, 2013, 07:33 AM
NDSU vs. Notre Dame would be much closer than NDSU vs. Alabama.

darell1976
May 1st, 2013, 09:02 AM
I don't like the Bison however I have no love for Nick Satan (for what he did to the Dolphins). I would actually go for NDSU over Bama.

PaladinFan
May 1st, 2013, 11:23 AM
It would be awesome to take on Bama. No doubt they would beat us soundly, but I would like to think we could keep it close for 3 quarters.

I take the same position as I always do on this subject. If a major FBS program takes you seriously, the game is over after the first quarter. I have no doubt in my mind that the last group of people on earth that thought Furman would lead Florida by three touchdowns after one quarter was the crowd from Gainesville. If they took Furman as seriously at kickoff as they did from quarters 2 through 4, it wouldn't have been remotely close. That argument pretty much goes across the board (Michigan App included).

I respect NDSU. They are a heckuva program. Alabama is darn near a Pro team. I watched them dismantle poor Missouri this year in what might have been the most physically overwhelming college football game I have ever seen. If Bama wanted to beat NDSU by 80, they absolutely could.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 1st, 2013, 11:26 AM
I take the same position as I always do on this subject. If a major FBS program takes you seriously, the game is over after the first quarter. I have no doubt in my mind that the last group of people on earth that thought Furman would lead Florida by three touchdowns after one quarter was the crowd from Gainesville. If they took Furman as seriously at kickoff as they did from quarters 2 through 4, it wouldn't have been remotely close. That argument pretty much goes across the board (Michigan App included).

I respect NDSU. They are a heckuva program. Alabama is darn near a Pro team. I watched them dismantle poor Missouri this year in what might have been the most physically overwhelming college football game I have ever seen. If Bama wanted to beat NDSU by 80, they absolutely could.

I think it's actually the opposite. Most schools have enough players for the 1st team but the big divide between FCS and FBS is depth. They have top quality players from 1-100 on their team where most FCS have 10-20 players at the most that could compete. That's why you see so many teams hang in the first half then get wiped out in the second half. Depth.

BisonBacker
May 1st, 2013, 11:28 AM

Bama is good but no not happening.

PaladinFan
May 1st, 2013, 11:58 AM
I think it's actually the opposite. Most schools have enough players for the 1st team but the big divide between FCS and FBS is depth. They have top quality players from 1-100 on their team where most FCS have 10-20 players at the most that could compete. That's why you see so many teams hang in the first half then get wiped out in the second half. Depth.

I agree with that. FCS teams cannot run out the fifth scholarship running back in the fourth quarter. I do think, though, that there is a tipping point. At some point, its not a question of depth.

I recall watching Furman play at Auburn in 2009. That was not a decent, not great, Furman team. It was a decent, not great, Auburn team. Furman gave up what appeared to be 6 inches and 60 pounds to a man across the line. When Auburn put in their third string in the second half, Furman really started to make some plays. I came to the conclusion that Furman's first string was probably comparable to many of the second and third stringers on a mediocre Auburn team. I mean, talent aside, there's only so much an FCS Olineman can do with a defensive player the size of a Buick.

GannonFan
May 1st, 2013, 12:58 PM

If it was just depth then you would see parity when it comes to the NFL draft - you'd have similar number of players from the FCS levels and below taken as you would FBS players. However, you don't see that, even in the draft, the large majority are FBS players. The starting team, or even the best 5-10 players on a team, are just better players overall than the 5-10 best players on an FCS team. And yes, they have better depth too, but they win because they're best players are better than the FCS best players.

Bisonator
May 1st, 2013, 01:01 PM
I agree with that. FCS teams cannot run out the fifth scholarship running back in the fourth quarter. I do think, though, that there is a tipping point. At some point, its not a question of depth.

I recall watching Furman play at Auburn in 2009. That was not a decent, not great, Furman team. It was a decent, not great, Auburn team. Furman gave up what appeared to be 6 inches and 60 pounds to a man across the line. When Auburn put in their third string in the second half, Furman really started to make some plays. I came to the conclusion that Furman's first string was probably comparable to many of the second and third stringers on a mediocre Auburn team. I mean, talent aside, there's only so much an FCS Olineman can do with a defensive player the size of a Buick.

I would say we match up fine size wise. I would say our starters could hold their own for awhile. But with Bama being able to rotate in guys with the same amount of size and talent would obviously take a toll. Our rotation would get worked over by Bama's. No way they beat us 80-0 even if they wanted to. I could see 52-0 though. xlolx

PaladinFan
May 1st, 2013, 04:58 PM
If it was just depth then you would see parity when it comes to the NFL draft - you'd have similar number of players from the FCS levels and below taken as you would FBS players. However, you don't see that, even in the draft, the large majority are FBS players. The starting team, or even the best 5-10 players on a team, are just better players overall than the 5-10 best players on an FCS team. And yes, they have better depth too, but they win because they're best players are better than the FCS best players.

I mean, I think that's just reality.

I tell people that FCS football has quality players, but that our offensive linemen are 6'2 280 instead of 6'7 320. They can still play, but their just undersized by and large. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 1st, 2013, 05:25 PM
I mean, I think that's just reality.

I tell people that FCS football has quality players, but that our offensive linemen are 6'2 280 instead of 6'7 320. They can still play, but their just undersized by and large. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

NDSU averages about 6'5" and 300 or so in the OL. :D

AmsterBison
May 1st, 2013, 05:43 PM
NDSU averages about 6'5" and 300 or so in the OL. :D

NDSU doesn't have the biggest OL in the Valley either... I think the SoCon has smaller offensive lines because they fit the offensive schemes they run. All I know is that NDSU's lines haven't looked any different than the FBS teams they've faced. NDSU's starting five might weigh a little more, the FBS teams are usually a inch or so taller. The height difference was more pronounced in the transition though - I mean, the first couple times NDSU played Minnesota, the Bison players looked like bowling balls, the Gopher players looked like bowling pins.

BTW, I want no part of 'Bama. There are 100 or so other FBS teams out there that NDSU might have a chance to beat. Alabama is not one of them.

IBleedYellow
May 1st, 2013, 06:05 PM
NDSU doesn't have the biggest OL in the Valley either... I think the SoCon has smaller offensive lines because they fit the offensive schemes they run. All I know is that NDSU's lines haven't looked any different than the FBS teams they've faced. NDSU's starting five might weigh a little more, the FBS teams are usually a inch or so taller. The height difference was more pronounced in the transition though - I mean, the first couple times NDSU played Minnesota, the Bison players looked like bowling balls, the Gopher players looked like bowling pins.

BTW, I want no part of 'Bama. There are 100 or so other FBS teams out there that NDSU might have a chance to beat. Alabama is not one of them.

I agree with every point that Amster brings out here.

I was looking at SoCon and Valley teams sizes and the Valley is much larger (300 vs 280). Looking at FBS teams there isn't much more of a jump between them and the MVFC.

parr90
May 2nd, 2013, 09:14 AM
Another parallel...they both won spots in the national championship game by barely edging out Georgia teams who were the only teams that could get their defenses to budge. Those were probably the two best football games I watched all season last season.

BTW, I'm typically a fan of shootouts, but I would pay an ESPN3 subscriber fee to watch NDSU and Bama play this year. Two very similar offensive philosophies usually means a low-scoring game. I think Bama would win in a 19-3 type score and it would be fun watching Bama smack down other FBS teams that think they're overrated because they only beat a "DII" team by 17ish points

Football is all about the matchup. GSU matched up better against Bama because of their style and Bama had a hard time with it. NDST wouldnt match up as well and would likely not do as well because they would be playing on a grass field and be very similar to many of the styles that Bama sees, just not quite athletic talented wise. No offense to ND, JMO

IBleedYellow
May 2nd, 2013, 09:29 AM
Football is all about the matchup. GSU matched up better against Bama because of their style and Bama had a hard time with it. NDST wouldnt match up as well and would likely not do as well because they would be playing on a grass field and be very similar to many of the styles that Bama sees, just not quite athletic talented wise. No offense to ND, JMO

Grass field? I honestly can't tell you the last time NDSU lost on a grass field, but it's been more than 3 years.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 2nd, 2013, 09:38 AM
Grass field? I honestly can't tell you the last time NDSU lost on a grass field, but it's been more than 3 years.

Maybe Western Illinois in 2010? I know they installed turf a couple years ago. If not, then it would likely be SDSU in 2009

asumike83
May 2nd, 2013, 10:03 AM
Alabama would take NDSU's lunch money. There are about 5-10 teams in the country that can compete with them right now, that is a semi-pro team.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 2nd, 2013, 10:14 AM
Alabama would take NDSU's lunch money. There are about 5-10 teams in the country that can compete with them right now, that is a semi-pro team.

Funny, you're the first person to say that in this thread. xlolx

jim121256
May 3rd, 2013, 09:31 AM
I'd love to see NDSU and 'Bama play. It wouldn't be as much of a beat-down as a lot of people think. First of all, I believe there's an overlap between the FCS and FBS. The best teams in FCS are sometimes the match of FBS teams ranked in the range of 15 - 25. However, the depth of talent always makes it difficult for FCS teams to win these games. The kids on NDSU's line are as big as many SEC linemen. The backs at Ga Southern are as quick as many SEC backs. App's receivers are there in terms of speed. You can say this about some component of any of the top FCS teams. However, I don't think NDSU's linemen, GSU's running backs, and ASU's receivers are where they are because they chose those schools' offers over the offers from Alabama.

It seems to me that the top programs in FCS are made up of players that are one factor away from being ready to play at the highest level of college football. Some of them have the size and the strength but not the quickness necessary to play O line in the SEC. Some are quick enough but not big enough to take the weekly pounding. The best programs in FCS make a conscious or unconscious decision on what they want to do on offense and defense, then analyze which factors are most important in doing that. Then they go out and recruit successfully. They also sometimes end up finding the kid who grows into something that nobody expected. Brian Quick at App was a good example of that. He had very little football background in HS and blossomed when he got experience and good coaching at App State. There are lots of others, but he's the first one who came to my mind.

As a Georgia Southern fan, my concern about the first year or two in FBS isn't about whether we have players that can match up with the other guys. The concern is whether we'll have enough of them to stand up to the grind of playing against that depth each week and still being strong in the fourth quarter. Ultimately, I think NDSU could hang well with anybody in the country for a very respectable period of time. The problem would be when a team like Alabama or Georgia sent out their third o line - the freshmen and sophmores who will be first-rounders in two or three years. NDSU would still have to be lining up more or less the original group of guys against them.

That's my two cents worth, based on watching what I've seen happen in the past.

parr90
May 3rd, 2013, 11:23 AM

Well really its not so much about the grass field I just added that. My point is that GSU running the TO as well as they do gives alot of teams, even the Bamas, a hard time. They arent used to it. ND has a very similar style to what Bama sees in the SEC with their pro style and power offense. Plus Bama is used to seeing these types of offensive teams with more speed (overall) than ND. Its about the matchup. No offense meant here. GSU has enough speed and running an offense that Bama wasnt used to gave their guys enough trouble to make a decent game out of it. I used the grass field because its more open and to players, and im a former college player, its more open and you dont feel so closed in like you do at ND's dome. You guys have a real home field advantage with that dome IMO. Hey I love an underdog and I think the teams you guys have put on the field the last 2-3 years could play with alot of BCS teams.

Lehigh'98
May 3rd, 2013, 04:03 PM

Bama hangs 42 minimum on NDSU. Check out ND game.

BisonFan02
May 3rd, 2013, 07:04 PM
Bama hangs 42 minimum on NDSU. Check out ND game.

Pitt should've beat ND....Youngstown beat Pitt 31-17....NDSU destroyed Youngstown 48-7. YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID. :D haha

IBleedYellow
May 3rd, 2013, 07:10 PM
Pitt should've beat ND....Youngstown beat Pitt 31-17....NDSU destroyed Youngstown 48-7. YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID. :D haha

Don't do that, just, No.

Nexus 4

BisonFan02
May 3rd, 2013, 09:43 PM
Don't do that, just, No.

Nexus 4

My reply was riddled with sarcasm....about as ridiculous as, well, the Bama/Bison comparison to begin with.