PDA

View Full Version : East Tennessee State University Football

etsudolfan
April 25th, 2013, 05:55 AM
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. ETSU Alumnus and fan here. With ETSU football coming back, there have been rumors about which conference we would join. The SoCon and OVC seem to be the two that are mentioned the most. Has anyone heard any recent news on this? I know I read another thread here about ETSU having the votes in the SoCon, but that seems to be a conflicted rumor. Love the site!

PaladinFan
April 25th, 2013, 05:58 AM
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. ETSU Alumnus and fan here. With ETSU football coming back, there have been rumors about which conference we would join. The SoCon and OVC seem to be the two that are mentioned the most. Has anyone heard any recent news on this? I know I read another thread here about ETSU having the votes in the SoCon, but that seems to be a conflicted rumor. Love the site!

Welcome aboard. Glad to have Furman's favorite homecoming opponent back in action :)

As with most things SoCon, we are generally the last to know. I know ETSU has been mentioned around here as a potential new (old) member of the conference, but the SoCon has some really big decisions to make (move more towards basketball, keep a presence in Georgia, etc).

etsudolfan
April 25th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Welcome aboard. Glad to have Furman's favorite homecoming opponent back in action :)

As with most things SoCon, we are generally the last to know. I know ETSU has been mentioned around here as a potential new (old) member of the conference, but the SoCon has some really big decisions to make (move more towards basketball, keep a presence in Georgia, etc). Thanks a lot! I would be totally fine with a return to the SoCon, as would most ETSU fans I'm sure...there are some old rivalries that it would be nice to see again. Yeah, coming by info on all of this is harder than I thought it would be

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
April 25th, 2013, 12:09 PM

As a fellow ETSU alumnus, I like our chances our landing in the SoCon.

PaladinFan
April 25th, 2013, 12:17 PM
As a fellow ETSU alumnus, I like our chances our landing in the SoCon.

Some on here seem to think is a lock. I still wonder if there is an olive branch or two that needs to be offered. Not every day a school leaves a conference and then asks back in (in fact, I can't even really remember it happening).

I would think facilities enhancements would be a top priority. I never attended a game there, but many a Furman fan grumbled about the state of ETSU's football stadium.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 25th, 2013, 12:20 PM
There has been quite a bit of ETSU talk in the last 6 months or so. You might be ablo to nail down more info. by putting it into the search function as far as trying to cull the threads and finding something there.

New feeds might have some info. too.

Welcome to the site, glad to have you.

catamount man
April 26th, 2013, 10:45 AM
WCU definitely wants ETSU back in the SoCon fold.

dgtw
April 26th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Is Fat Phil going to be your new coach?

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
April 26th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Is Fat Phil going to be your new coach?

No, Fulmer was offered the position but he declined. He currently works with ETSU as a consultant. ETSU expects to have a new coach within a matter of weeks.

FCS_pwns_FBS
April 26th, 2013, 02:09 PM
ETSU seems like a no-brainer for the SoCon.

superman7515
April 26th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Not every day a school leaves a conference and then asks back in (in fact, I can't even really remember it happening).

Monmouth and Old Dominion to some extent.

walliver
April 26th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Some on here seem to think is a lock. I still wonder if there is an olive branch or two that needs to be offered. Not every day a school leaves a conference and then asks back in (in fact, I can't even really remember it happening).

ETSU's situation is very similar to UNCC. UNCC was in C-USA and was forced out in 2005 for not having a football team. As soon as football was announced, they were invited back.

ETSU was forced out. I believe it was phrased a "delayed exit" for dropping football shortly after demanding that VMI not be allowed to withdraw their football team from the conference. I don't believe ETSU really wanted to leave.