PDA

View Full Version : #8 Seed Robert Morris Knocks Off #1 Seed Kentucky In NIT Round 1

superman7515
March 19th, 2013, 09:56 PM
Robert Morris Stuns Kentucky (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=330780096)

MOON, Pa. -- Mike McFadden hit two free throws with 8.7 seconds remaining and Robert Morris shocked defending national champion Kentucky 59-57 in the opening round of the NIT on Tuesday night.

The Wildcats decided not to call timeout after the second free throw but Kyle Wiltjer's 3-pointer before the buzzer bounced harmlessly off the rim, sending hundreds of students onto the court as Robert Morris ruined Kentucky coach John Calipari's homecoming.

Lucky Jones led the Colonials (24-10) with 15 points but was ejected for a flagrant foul on Archie Goodwin with 3:41 to play. Kentucky, which trailed by 13 in the second half, managed to tie it twice but could never grab the lead.

Goodwin scored 18 points for the Wildcats but couldn't stop Kentucky's disappointing season come to a stunning end.

The victory was validation for the Colonials, who won the Northeastern Conference regular season title with ease but were upset in the conference tournament. The loss relegated the school to the NIT, but it hardly felt like a letdown in perhaps the biggest win in the program's history.

"I know they were disappointed not to get to NCAA tournament. This is a memory they'll get for rest of their lives." Robert Morris coach Andy Toole said in the giddy aftermath.

HailSzczur
March 19th, 2013, 10:05 PM
Thousands of Kentucky fans sitting there wondering if the impending NCAA violations that come with Calipari are worth it if they can't even beat an 8 seed in the NIT

bonarae
March 20th, 2013, 02:29 AM
xhurrayx As a mid-major fan, this is one thing that we like March a lot.

BluBengal07
March 20th, 2013, 06:29 AM
That was an intense game. a fight to the final seconds. however, if the game was at Kentucky, it might of been different. the home crowd provide a lot of energy for the players. Congrats Robert Morris.

813Jag
March 20th, 2013, 06:58 AM
That was an intense game. a fight to the final seconds. however, if the game was at Kentucky, it might of been different. the home crowd provide a lot of energy for the players. Congrats Robert Morris.
I really think Kentucky would have had a fight even at home, those kids checked out at midseason. Wasn't any where close to an NCAA team.

TheRevSFA
March 20th, 2013, 08:27 AM
I saw an argument yesterday that the small schools should be home seeds in the NIT, in order to actually sell out the arenas..

MR. CHICKEN
March 20th, 2013, 08:42 AM
UPSETS..LIKE DIS...HAPPEN....WHEN BIG TIMERS......THINK DEY'RE TOO GOOD....TO BE IN UH GHETTO...TOURNEY.........(HAPPENS IN DUH WEENIE BOWLS...O' PIGGY TOO!)......BROCK!

Laker
March 20th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Wind chills below zero, two ingrown toenails, driveway full of snow that had to be cleaned out, icy roads on the way to Mankato, parking spaces all filled, MSU-Mankato men lose in OT in the regional final to our biggest rival so I won't be going to Louisville and Freedom Hall, pickup won't start after the game.......................

this win by RM over UK was the one bright spot in the day! :D

MR. CHICKEN
March 20th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Wind chills below zero, two ingrown toenails, driveway full of snow that had to be cleaned out, icy roads on the way to Mankato, parking spaces all filled, MSU-Mankato men lose in OT in the regional final to our biggest rival so I won't be going to Louisville and Freedom Hall, pickup won't start after the game.......................
this win by RM over UK was the one bright spot in the day! :D

17619....AN'...DUH...KIDS NEED NEW SHOES.....AN' AH'M BUSTED..........xbawlingx.....BROCK!

Laker
March 20th, 2013, 08:55 AM
17619....AN'...DUH...KIDS NEED NEW SHOES.....AN' AH'M BUSTED..........xbawlingx.....BROCK!

Mr. Chicken, I love the concerned icon that you included with the post!

WH49er
March 20th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Looks like if Charlotte beats Providence tonight will get a home game with Robert Morris at our place.

Apphole
March 20th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Whats worse for Kentucky than going to the NIT and losing in the first round to Robert Morris?

Kentucky going to the NIT, beating Robert Morris in the first round and continuing to play in the NIT.

Laker
March 20th, 2013, 10:55 AM
I don't like Big Blue, and I don't like the Squid. Great news to hear that UK got beat.