PDA

View Full Version : App State Pro Day

Apphole
March 19th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Yesterday I expected to hear McCray and Kimbrough's names almost exclusively, but the buzz has been all Steven Miller. The dude killed it and basically guaranteed his spot on an NFL roster yesterday after not really being in the conversation much at all at first.

-20 NFL teams were represented by both coaches and scouts.
-Most impressive stat of the day was Miller's 43" vertical jump xbowx (Higher than any player in the NFL combine over the past two years)
-17 players participated. 8 from App State. 9 were from other college teams, including Eric Breitenstein.

WS Journal Article (http://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/football/article_c8eefc74-9035-11e2-92e8-0019bb30f31a.html)

Panthers.com video (http://www.panthers.com/media-vault/videos/Appalachian-State-hopefuls-reach-new-heights/21d1d31a-2c31-4cec-959c-3b5cfceacd49)

Watch this^ Miller looks JACKED.

asucrutch23
March 19th, 2013, 09:48 AM
I think you mean 43" vertical for Miller. 34" would not be all that impressive.

Apphole
March 19th, 2013, 10:11 AM
I think you mean 43" vertical for Miller. 34" would not be all that impressive.

Oops. Fixed it. Damned numeric dyslexia.

GlassOnion
March 19th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Miller is one hell of an athlete. 4.34 in the 40, 43 in vertical, missed 11' in the broad by just an inch or so, catches, runs, he does it all. Cadet has the blend of size and speed, but Miller is even more explosive, and yes, he is absolutely JACKED.

170 isnt really all that small at 5'6, and he'll pack on a few more lbs in the off season training He'll be awful hard to spot running behind those big uglies, which is a very bad thing for the defense with his speed. Give him a free step and he's in the secondary.

If he can run for 1400 beind App's OL, he must be good. Im happy for him, finally getting his due. Team player.

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 19th, 2013, 12:18 PM
I can see some team using Miller the same way the Saints use Darren Sproles if he can't catch.

Apphole
March 19th, 2013, 12:37 PM
I can see some team using Miller the same way the Saints use Darren Sproles if he can't catch.

What would lead you to believe he can't catch?

mountaineer in Cane Land
March 19th, 2013, 12:40 PM
if the kids are smart, most of them should concentrate on making a team as a special team player and work their way up from there. DJ Smith, his rookie season with the Packers, had no shot of making the team as a linebacker, but he did make the team as a special teams player, worked his way up from there, and in 4 years became a starter at linebacker. Make the team anyway you can, and work your way up.

GlassOnion
March 19th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Who cant catch?

Miller had 34 catches for just under 400 yards recieving, and 4 TDs. 11 yards per catch.

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 19th, 2013, 01:52 PM
What would lead you to believe he can't catch?

Not saying he can't. But being usable in the passing game in college and in the pros is two different things. The NFL scouts loved how nimble and athletic Jayson Foster was, but he didn't make it because he just doesn't have the hands.

Apphole
March 19th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Not saying he can't. But being usable in the passing game in college and in the pros is two different things. The NFL scouts loved how nimble and athletic Jayson Foster was, but he didn't make it because he just doesn't have the hands.

Miller was the featured RB in a Satterfield offense. If he didn't have hands, he would not have been.

It just seemed like an odd assumption to make.

Skjellyfetti
March 19th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Miller was better than Cadet... especially at pass catching and route running, imo.

If Cadet worked his way onto an NFL roster, I have little doubt Miller can and likely will do the same.

Skjellyfetti
March 19th, 2013, 07:07 PM
Video of App's pro day from Panthers' website:

http://www.panthers.com/media-vault/videos/Appalachian-State-hopefuls-reach-new-heights/21d1d31a-2c31-4cec-959c-3b5cfceacd49

seantaylor
March 20th, 2013, 01:11 AM
Miller is one hell of an athlete. 4.34 in the 40, 43 in vertical, missed 11' in the broad by just an inch or so, catches, runs, he does it all. Cadet has the blend of size and speed, but Miller is even more explosive, and yes, he is absolutely JACKED.

170 isnt really all that small at 5'6, and he'll pack on a few more lbs in the off season training He'll be awful hard to spot running behind those big uglies, which is a very bad thing for the defense with his speed. Give him a free step and he's in the secondary.

If he can run for 1400 beind App's OL, he must be good. Im happy for him, finally getting his due. Team player.

No shot at all to make it as a RB at 5'6. Jayson Foster, who was a much better player, couldn't make it in the league do to height.

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 20th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Miller was the featured RB in a Satterfield offense. If he didn't have hands, he would not have been.

It just seemed like an odd assumption to make.

Dexter Jackson was a receiver in a Satterfield offense. How did that work out for him?

smallcollegefbfan
March 20th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Yesterday I expected to hear McCray and Kimbrough's names almost exclusively, but the buzz has been all Steven Miller. The dude killed it and basically guaranteed his spot on an NFL roster yesterday after not really being in the conversation much at all at first.

-20 NFL teams were represented by both coaches and scouts.
-Most impressive stat of the day was Miller's 43" vertical jump xbowx (Higher than any player in the NFL combine over the past two years)
-17 players participated. 8 from App State. 9 were from other college teams, including Eric Breitenstein.

WS Journal Article (http://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/football/article_c8eefc74-9035-11e2-92e8-0019bb30f31a.html)

Panthers.com video (http://www.panthers.com/media-vault/videos/Appalachian-State-hopefuls-reach-new-heights/21d1d31a-2c31-4cec-959c-3b5cfceacd49)

Watch this^ Miller looks JACKED.

Don't overract to this. Vertical jump means nothing when it comes to running back. He's a good player and has been on the NFL radar all year but you can't say he is guaranteed to make a NFL roster because of what he did in workout shorts. You also seem surprised he put up good numbers. I have three points to make.

1. 90% of people who sit in stands and watch games really don't know what makes a player good enough to play in the NFL and don't know when a player looks like a good athlete. I can honestly say this is no surprise at all. Maybe I thought he would run 4.40 and put up a 39 or 40 VJ but still you knew he would do well.

2. I don't know the full results yet and his weight, along with short shuttle, 3-cone, and 10-yard are more important than a VJ. Don't overrate the vertical.

3. People are overlooking Sam Martin because there are really no stats from the workout. He's got a better shot at making the NFL than Miller. Look at how great Adrian Peterson was at Georgia Southern and he was just a backup who lasted what 6-8 years in the NFL. He was never a star. Louis Ivory never made it and nobody else from App made it. Do you really think Miller is better than Jimmy Watkins, Kevin Richardson, Travaris Cadet, etc? Cadet made it in the NFL because he could do a lot of things and remember he had fumbling issues due to injury in college. This year will be key for him. I do think Miller gets in a NFL camp and does well but I have a feeling he ends up in the CFL.

With all that said, if he weighed in at 205 and his short shuttle, 3-cone, and 10-yard are very impressive then I will say he may become more of a priority signing. The fact people are pushing the vertical and 40 make me wonder if the other times are as impressive. Let's see the full results before we over estimate the impact of this workout.

Not hating on Miller but the star of the show was Sam Martin. There weren't 2 special teams coaches and 20 NFL teams there for Miller. They were there for McCray, Martin, and Kimbrough but mostly McCray and Martin. They don't love Kimbrough as a LB, which I think they are ranking him a little lower than they should, because they are asking him to play some FB as well. Martin is the star. He may get drafted and I have been loving him for the last two years yet I don't hear App fans pushing his name. He's better than Nate McKinney, Mark Royals, and all your other All-Americans the last 20 years. The only way Martin does not make it is if he goes to a bad situation or his team has a vet and just doesn't want to part ways with him.

smallcollegefbfan
March 20th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Miller was better than Cadet... especially at pass catching and route running, imo.

If Cadet worked his way onto an NFL roster, I have little doubt Miller can and likely will do the same.

Maybe better as a pure runner but not the overall athlete of Cadet and not as big. Lasting or making a NFL roster hinges on if you can hold up and some good players are just too light to last as positions like running back. I would say weight is least important for a WR or CB but at RB it is important. There are no 175 or 180 pound running backs from FCS programs in the NFL that I know of.

smallcollegefbfan
March 20th, 2013, 10:16 AM
No shot at all to make it as a RB at 5'6. Jayson Foster, who was a much better player, couldn't make it in the league do to height.

Foster is a funny story. He got a shot and actually wowed people but they could not get over the height thing. And I think you meant "due" lol.

Skjellyfetti
March 20th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Dexter Jackson was a receiver in a Satterfield offense. How did that work out for him?

And he was never our leading receiver. The only season Dexter Jackson had over 500 yards receiving, Hans Batichon had more. He got an NFL contract because of his speed (and that opening touchdown vs. Michigan, perhaps :D)

Skjellyfetti
March 20th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Maybe better as a pure runner but not the overall athlete of Cadet and not as big. Lasting or making a NFL roster hinges on if you can hold up and some good players are just too light to last as positions like running back. I would say weight is least important for a WR or CB but at RB it is important. There are no 175 or 180 pound running backs from FCS programs in the NFL that I know of.

I agree that Cadet is obviously bigger than Miller. But, I think Miller is a better pure runner and better overall athlete than Cadet. We'll just have to disagree.

Size may hold Miller back... but, it won't be the be-all-end-all you made it out to be with guys like... oh... DJ Smith? Who was too small and too slow to make it on an NFL roster according to you.

ASUMountaineer
March 20th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Not hating on Miller but the star of the show was Sam Martin. There weren't 2 special teams coaches and 20 NFL teams there for Miller. They were there for McCray, Martin, and Kimbrough but mostly McCray and Martin. They don't love Kimbrough as a LB, which I think they are ranking him a little lower than they should, because they are asking him to play some FB as well. Martin is the star. He may get drafted and I have been loving him for the last two years yet I don't hear App fans pushing his name. He's better than Nate McKinney, Mark Royals, and all your other All-Americans the last 20 years. The only way Martin does not make it is if he goes to a bad situation or his team has a vet and just doesn't want to part ways with him.

My guess is because P is not as interesting as RB. I think you're on point, though. Martin has the goods to be an excellent punter in the NFL. I think McCray will get his shot, and has a good chance of sticking in the league. I wish the best to Miller, Kimbrough, etc. I'm not sure that they'll make it, but there's always those unexpected players that make it work.

smallcollegefbfan
March 20th, 2013, 11:10 AM
And he was never our leading receiver. The only season Dexter Jackson had over 500 yards receiving, Hans Batichon had more. He got an NFL contract because of his speed (and that opening touchdown vs. Michigan, perhaps :D)

Michigan game was 80% of it. There were scouts who saw that game and did not care about what he did the rest of the season or cared very little, especially with the solid week at the Shrine Game and his 4.3 40 at the combine.

ASUMountaineer
March 20th, 2013, 11:12 AM
I agree that Cadet is obviously bigger than Miller. But, I think Miller is a better pure runner and better overall athlete than Cadet. We'll just have to disagree.

Size may hold Miller back... but, it won't be the be-all-end-all you made it out to be with guys like... oh... DJ Smith? Who was too small and too slow to make it on an NFL roster according to you.

Miller is probably better prepared to play RB, as Cadet had mostly played QB. I don't know if Miller will stick, but I do think he possesses many of the same skills as Cadet, and is probably a purer runner.

smallcollegefbfan
March 20th, 2013, 11:21 AM

Of course his times and workout results are better because he is much much smaller. I don't know how much Miller weighed, guessing 180 or 185 but Cadet was like 205 at 6'0.

Size has nothing to do with making it but can affect draft stock. I remember pointing out that he was like 5'10 or 5'11, not 6'0 or 6'1 like many thought and he measured in at 5'10 5/8. All I said on DJ was that he would not get drafted back during the fall of that year. I said before the draft he would get drafted because of the move inside and he got better as the season went on. I said he would have to be an ILB and he is an ILB.

Mike Flynn, many App fans, and media had him as an OLB and 4th or 5th round pick and the first App drafted. I said 6th or 7th round and third App drafted. I believe that happened? :). Give me credit for what I said the 2 months before the draft and don't pick on something I said a year before it LOL. He ran 4.77 or 4.78, which is just average. He's a backup in Green Bay who played when they had injuries but I suspect he ends up as a backup.

I never would have said to you Martin could get drafted as a junior but now I'm saying he could. Players develop and improve. A lot of you guys were comparing DJ to Coakley and I can tell you they aren't even close. DJ is a 2-5 year NFL backup or fringe guy and Coakley was a 10-11 year vet with 3 Pro Bowls and many more accolades.

I watched DJ in the preseason and he struggles to shed blocks, something he struggled with in college. When he runs free he makes plays and he is a good tackler in the box. He's also a good hitter.

smallcollegefbfan
March 20th, 2013, 11:25 AM
My guess is because P is not as interesting as RB. I think you're on point, though. Martin has the goods to be an excellent punter in the NFL. I think McCray will get his shot, and has a good chance of sticking in the league. I wish the best to Miller, Kimbrough, etc. I'm not sure that they'll make it, but there's always those unexpected players that make it work.

Here is my prediction for them as far as draft status: McCray rounds 5-7, Martin 6-PFA, I think 7th is real possible, and free agent on the rest. I could see Kimbrough sticking as a fringe roster guy. If he just gets more consistent and can eliminate a little bit of the bad tape he had in terms of being inconsistent he could have a shot. I think McCray and Martin stick as rookies. Miller probably does well in camp but I have a feeling unless he is 185-200 he likely won't make it. NFL teams don't keep 180 or smaller RBs from FCS schools. I'm waiting to get the full official results and I'll post them when I do.

smallcollegefbfan
March 20th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Miller is probably better prepared to play RB, as Cadet had mostly played QB. I don't know if Miller will stick, but I do think he possesses many of the same skills as Cadet, and is probably a purer runner.

I like Miller a lot and have had him graded as a free agent since the fall but these results on him are not completely shocking and he didn't become a free agent this week, he just solidified more interest than maybe a tryout and might have put himself in position to get a contract.

My whole point is that Martin attracted the position coaches and has close to double digit workouts/visits. Miller did really well and definitely helped himself but the star and main attraction was Martin and McCray. Martin's stats from the pro day: He averaged 55 yards and a 4.74 hang time at his pro day with a 77 yard average and 3.79 hang time on kickoffs.

Apphole
March 20th, 2013, 12:15 PM

Missed the point. I'm saying that SS's offense has a ton of rout running for a RB. He's more experienced making catches than the vast majority of RBs.

ASUMountaineer
March 20th, 2013, 12:22 PM
I like Miller a lot and have had him graded as a free agent since the fall but these results on him are not completely shocking and he didn't become a free agent this week, he just solidified more interest than maybe a tryout and might have put himself in position to get a contract.

My whole point is that Martin attracted the position coaches and has close to double digit workouts/visits. Miller did really well and definitely helped himself but the star and main attraction was Martin and McCray. Martin's stats from the pro day: He averaged 55 yards and a 4.74 hang time at his pro day with a 77 yard average and 3.79 hang time on kickoffs.

As I said, I agree with you on this. I think Martin certainly has a chance to do well in the NFL.

smallcollegefbfan
March 20th, 2013, 02:19 PM
As I said, I agree with you on this. I think Martin certainly has a chance to do well in the NFL.

Definitely a shot. He's the best punter/kicker you have had in a long time.

AppAlum2003
March 20th, 2013, 08:27 PM
Definitely a shot. He's the best punter/kicker you have had in a long time.

I think his biggest asset is his versatility. I'd argue that Rockhold was probably a better kicker and McKinney was CLOSE on punting. It doesn't work that I know both of them pretty well, but I digress... :)

But like I was saying, Sam does both very well and since roster spots are extremely limited in the NFL, he has much more value.

smallcollegefbfan
March 20th, 2013, 10:32 PM
I think his biggest asset is his versatility. I'd argue that Rockhold was probably a better kicker and McKinney was CLOSE on punting. It doesn't work that I know both of them pretty well, but I digress... :)

But like I was saying, Sam does both very well and since roster spots are extremely limited in the NFL, he has much more value.

Rockhold was a head case so he never had a shot but he was a good kicker. Just didn't have the overall career. McKinney is close but he didn't have the hang time that Martin does. Martin's a good punter.

Let me put it to you this way. He was not at the combine and no all-star game yet there is buzz he could get drafted coming out of a FCS program. That tells you how special he is. Punters from FCS without a combine or all-star invite never get drafted and he may be the exception to the rule.

seantaylor
March 21st, 2013, 03:51 AM
Foster is a funny story. He got a shot and actually wowed people but they could not get over the height thing. And I think you meant "due" lol.

I did, and thanks for pointing it out.

smallcollegefbfan
March 24th, 2013, 03:23 PM
McCray had a very good workout at his pro day. He's going to get drafted. Miller ran a 4.52 40 at 5'6 3/8, 172 pounds. I just don't see any shot he is drafted and I'm not sure a team will keep him with those numbers. He's likely to get in a camp though.

ASUMountaineer
March 25th, 2013, 07:49 AM
McCray had a very good workout at his pro day. He's going to get drafted. Miller ran a 4.52 40 at 5'6 3/8, 172 pounds. I just don't see any shot he is drafted and I'm not sure a team will keep him with those numbers. He's definitely getting in camp though.

All you can ask for is a chance...the rest is on him to succeed. I wish him well!

smallcollegefbfan
March 25th, 2013, 09:54 AM
All you can ask for is a chance...the rest is on him to succeed. I wish him well!

I think he does, at least. He won't get drafted because he is just too tiny but I do think he deserves a camp invite with that workout.

Saint3333
April 7th, 2013, 12:52 PM
I remember the debate clearly, I liked Smith as an NFL player you liked Legree. You didn't give enough credit to football intelligence.

You'd be surprised at what those ignorant fans in the stands know about football.

smallcollegefbfan
April 7th, 2013, 01:09 PM
I remember the debate clearly, I liked Smith as an NFL player you liked Legree. You didn't give enough credit to football intelligence.

You'd be surprised at what those ignorant fans in the stands know about football.

LeGree was drafted higher because he has great ball skills and his position was clearer. Smith could have gone higher had he been at ILB the entire time. LeGree is only struggling because he has not been good under pressure. Coaches are telling me he can play in the NFL but he just panics and makes mental mistakes, something you didn't expect based on college tape.

I said Smith had to be an ILB and he has been so far. He's coming off an injury and their LB situation is not very good so he should start. If he does not start that tells you he is likely a backup for a while. DJ is not blazing fast but very good in the box.

Don't give your fans in the stands too much credit. I said for two years Quick was going to be a top 100 pick and none of your fans could believe it. People were shocked until they started seeing it. I mentioned McCray his junior year on here and nobody said anything about it. Just like I'll tell you right now Tony Washington is going to get legit interest.

I can't help if the players panic and don't do what they are suppose to in the NFL. You can never fully project it but I can see fairly early when a player is going to get NFL looks.

I think Kimbrough, Martin, and McCray could be on a 53-man roster or practice squad. McCray is the worst of the bunch at this point but his tools make him a guy who could be developed. He could either be out of the NFL in 3 years or become a quality starter. It's completely up to him mentally and how hard he works.

There are some fans in the stands who can tell but none of you guys said Edwards would be drafted high and end up being a fringe roster guy who won't make an impact. I said that and that's what he has clearly been. I called bust on Dexter Jackson, said Jason Hunter should be drafted, said Lynch would be drafted and be a quality special teams player, etc.

Look at what I said about Cadet and Presley. I said both could get drafted if they ran well at pro day and they did not. I said PFA but always like their ability. Cadet just had to get over fumbling issues and I said Presley should have been a DB all along. Presley almost got drafted so you know. I think a lot of your fans were surprised I talked up Cadet at any point.

You guys are harping on the fact I did not say Smith would be draftable right off the bat. It's one slight miss and even then he has been a backup. If he is more than an injury replacement starter then yes I missed. Don't blast me for not being dead spot on for once when I have been 95% spot on the rest of the time. I'm not bragging but just telling facts and I admitted the DJ thing was a slight miss. I can admit when I'm wrong. Jury is still out though. Next two years are important for him to have a long career.

With all this said, Kimbrough is a better player than Smith. If he were taller, because he is faster, he would get drafted ahead of him. There are some teams who have him in the 6th-7th round so you never know.

Martin is your best prospect of all of them but it's so tough at his position that his chances aren't the best. He is not a head case like all your past kickers and punters have been, great kid, can punt and kickoff and kick field goals, strong leg, and has been very busy with workouts. I think he has had like 8 visits/workouts. Keep an eye on him.

I'm not trying to be a jerk but just don't point out one thing of about 50 I have said that has not been 100% spot on and say that's why I'm wrong on Miller. Miller is not a NFL player. You have three potential ones but Miller is just a camp guy. He ran a 4.52 at 5'6, 173 pounds. That is actually slow for his size. He's fast in FCS but his size/speed ratio is actually not as good as you might think because he's so tiny. He will play in a secondary league, if he wants to though. He's a very good FCS player.

Think of it this way. I'm trained to do this, born with a lot of it, but I have connections in the NFL, this is all I do, and it's not just fun for me but all I do pays the bills. I don't get on here attacking you guys about your jobs. I don't know what you do for a living but I'm pretty sure I can't do it as good as you and I would never say that hey all of us out here at the bar could walk in your job and do just as good or better than you. That's essentially what you are doing. I know there are some in the stands at games who know what they are seeing to a certain extent but there is one huge difference. You are going off seeing a guy play over 4 years and watching him in at least 30 games while NFL scouts sometimes have to go off background interviews, 3-4 game tapes, maybe see a guy in person once, and write an accurate report based on what they have and their livelihood is based on it. If I took you away from App games and made you watch nothing but the Big Sky and then asked you to watch 2 App games (just those 2 games) and do you feel within 5 minutes of watching you could tell me if the player is a legit NFL prospect and worth watching the full games on? I have no doubt you know who your best players are but do you know what truly makes a player a NFL prospect without seeing stats and seeing 30 games but merely watching a guy for 5-10 minutes? That's the big difference in the fans in the stands and NFL scouts. Are NFL scouts perfect? No. But I always argue are the rest of you guys perfect in your jobs? I know you aren't but I'm sure you are skilled at it.

You see where I'm coming from? If give you access to 1 game tape of ODK and without telling you who to watch ask you to sit down in the room with me and within 5 minutes of tape tell me if the team has a legit NFL prospect. That's essentially what NFL scouts are doing and they do a great job of it.

Saint3333
April 8th, 2013, 12:26 PM
I'm not trying to be a jerk either, but you are pretty much calling us "regular fans" ignorant. I watch 6-7 App games a year in person and follow their pro days, even meet a few each year. I may spend more time than you do watching App football and around it. I can tell you which ones are going to be pros. I don't comment on other team's players because I don't know them.

Very few peoples' jobs are truly that complicated and people with a different perspective and only a small percentage of "expertise" in that field can provide unexpected advice/knowledge.

We have some very knowledgable fans is my point.

Time to move away from message boards if your "professional" skin is thin.

I disagree Kimbrough will be better than DJ, once again football IQ is important. Not that JK doesn't have it, just that DJ's football IQ is that strong. Definitely pulling for guy and hope he makes a roster.

smallcollegefbfan
April 8th, 2013, 12:51 PM
I'm not trying to be a jerk either, but you are pretty much calling us "regular fans" ignorant. I watch 6-7 App games a year in person and follow their pro days, even meet a few each year. I may spend more time than you do watching App football and around it. I can tell you which ones are going to be pros. I don't comment on other team's players because I don't know them.

Very few peoples' jobs are truly that complicated and people with a different perspective and only a small percentage of "expertise" in that field can provide unexpected advice/knowledge.

We have some very knowledgable fans is my point.

Time to move away from message boards if your "professional" skin is thin.

I disagree Kimbrough will be better than DJ, once again football IQ is important. Not that JK doesn't have it, just that DJ's football IQ is that strong. Definitely pulling for guy and hope he makes a roster.

Not saying fans are ignorant as much as they tend to see with their rose colored glasses on. Nobody from App thought Armanti Edwards would be a fringe roster guy who would not impact in the NFL. Not that they are stupid but simply just don't see anything past what he did there and how dominant he was in FCS. Although I noticed that nobody mentioned Kilgore and I had several people seem shocked when I mentioned that I thought he would get a combine invite and be drafted ahead of DJ Smith a month before the combine invites came out. I also have some very good connections at App so I do hear and see some things that may not be out there.

I think I saw App play 5 times in person this year and saw these seniors play over their careers. Martin peaked my interest as a junior while Miller was a guy I saw flash as a junior but he was a backup.

I didn't say Kimbrough will be better. I said he played better in college simply because he played ILB more and he is faster than DJ. That's why I say the shot for him is there. I think DJ is very smart so it would not shock me to see him linger around in the NFL and be a 6-8 year pro for sure. Kimbrough is a good player. Whether he makes it or not he had a great career just like the others before him.

For what it's worth. I'm hearing McCray is 50/50 to get drafted. He could go 5th-6th or undrafted. Several teams say borderline draft, some say 5th round or so, and others say he is just a free agent. I'm hearing Martin is 50/50. The only negative thing is that he was not at the combine or all-star game but everyone says he is good. I know of 8 teams who have him on their draft board. Martin has had a lot of visits and workouts. He's going to get in a camp and it would not shock me if he went in the 7th round at all.

Saint3333
April 8th, 2013, 08:05 PM
You did say Kimbrough was better, go back and read your post.

McCray is a player, he should have started as as Soph. If he doesn't get drafted someone is getting a steal.

Martin needs to quicken his kick, he's got the leg but delivery is quarter step slow.

Kimbrough can be a special teams player for a few years.

Miller has a lot of heart, I'm not going to say what that kid can't do. He's been too small and step too slow his whole life, and proved too many people wrong too many times.

smallcollegefbfan
April 8th, 2013, 08:14 PM
You did say Kimbrough was better, go back and read your post.

McCray is a player, he should have started as as Soph. If he doesn't get drafted someone is getting a steal.

Martin needs to quicken his kick, he's got the leg but delivery is quarter step slow.

Kimbrough can be a special teams player for a few years.

Miller has a lot of heart, I'm not going to say what that kid can't do. He's been too small and step too slow his whole life, and proved too many people wrong too many times.

I said he was better at ILB because he had been playing it longer. Now, I do think DJ was a better special teams player and that could be what keeps him around longer. Kimbrough is not bad on special teams but DJ was a standout. Some teams told me that and the fact he finally moved to ILB ensured him to get drafted. I hope Kimbrough gets drafted. It was funny hearing some App haters say Kimbrough was just fat because Kimbrough was the fastest LB in the SoCon this year at pro days. He can run a lot faster than people think. I would have estimated 4.65 on film but he ran a 4.59. That's very fast for a guy as thick as him.

The speeding up his release for Martin is not hard to do. It's not too slow but more one that can get a little faster. Special teams coaches have been praising him a lot. He's the best App has had in a long time because he can do all three phases.

I know Miller has heart and I think he can play somewhere but I just don't see him making a 53-man roster in the NFL. RBs are a dime a dozen.

McCray is good but he does give up passes and Mellette had his way with him. He's got the tools to be a stud and I would bet he is drafted. I'm projecting 6th round but early 7th or even late 5th would not shock me.

smallcollegefbfan
April 24th, 2013, 06:27 PM
DJ Smith put on waivers today. Just like I said. Roster filler type player. Got better as a senior but still just a backup. I think he definitely gets picked up but I would be surprised if he is in the NFL in 3 years unless he goes to a team who is thin at LB and really needs the body. Hope he recovers and sticks though.

asumike83
April 24th, 2013, 07:23 PM
ProFootballTalk article said he was waived with a "failed physical" designation because his status to start the year was uncertain after the torn ACL he suffered on that cheap shot against the Texans last year. Dom Capers was always a fan of his. I don't think he'll be unemployed long if he gets healthy.

smallcollegefbfan
April 24th, 2013, 07:50 PM
ProFootballTalk article said he was waived with a "failed physical" designation because his status to start the year was uncertain after the torn ACL he suffered on that cheap shot against the Texans last year. Dom Capers was always a fan of his. I don't think he'll be unemployed long if he gets healthy.

Exactly. He won't be out of work long but you keep a key piece to your defense by putting them on IR. They let him go which shows they did not see him in the future of their defense and that injury must not be good. I hate he got hurt and I think he gets another shot but this shows he was a roster filler and a guy they did not want to wait on. This was a bad time to do it. You would think they would wait until after the draft but this makes it clear they are going to target one this weekend.

asumike83
April 25th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Well, that didn't take long! D.J. was signed by the San Diego Chargers today.

smallcollegefbfan
April 25th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Well, that didn't take long! D.J. was signed by the San Diego Chargers today.

That's a good landing spot. Don't believe the media. The roster is better than people give it credit for but they are a little thin at LB so Smith should make that 53 man roster or practice squad. If he gets cut them something is wrong medically or he got beat out by a cheaper player just as good. I hope he makes it. Never have hated on him. Just haven't seen him as a 10 year pro but more of a 2-4 year roster filler type player.

ASUMountaineer
April 26th, 2013, 08:05 AM
That's a good landing spot. Don't believe the media. The roster is better than people give it credit for but they are a little thin at LB so Smith should make that 53 man roster or practice squad. If he gets cut them something is wrong medically or he got beat out by a cheaper player just as good. I hope he makes it. Never have hated on him. Just haven't seen him as a 10 year pro but more of a 2-4 year roster filler type player.

Is he still eligible for the practice squad?