PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Lacrosse Thread

ngineer
March 17th, 2013, 08:37 PM
I haven't seen one of these started, so I thought I'd get central posting place as the season is now starting to pickup. If there already is a thread for following LAX please move this. thanks.

Lehigh beat Army at West Point, 10-6, on Saturday to move to 5-3. Now ranked #16, Mountain Hawks host UMass Wednesday night at Ulrich Stadium at 6 p.m. Game nationally televized on ESPNU.

ngineer
March 31st, 2013, 09:05 PM
Lehigh cruised past Navy, 12-7, yesterday and will next host Colgate next Saturday in a nationally televised game at 11 a.m. from Goodman Stadium. The Raiders were upset by Army today, 10-4, at Hamilton leaving Lehigh and Bucknell as the remaining undefeated teams in the PL at 3-0. Army and 'gate are 2-1.

DSUrocks07
April 1st, 2013, 09:40 PM
Del State is looking at starting up a men's lacrosse program in the near future. Hopefully then I'll be able to participate fully in the discussion.

ngineer
April 4th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Del State is looking at starting up a men's lacrosse program in the near future. Hopefully then I'll be able to participate fully in the discussion.

Great to hear....but as you can see, there aint much "discussion"...

Laker
April 4th, 2013, 05:01 PM
My biggest exposure to LaCrosse is the city in Wisconsin and watching on TV. In one of the thousands of college realignment threads, someone brought up the possibility of Johns Hopkins joining the Big Ten in that sport. I would doubt it but I see that they are independents and have a great history. I think that the current Big Ten only has something like three teams that have lacrosse- Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State- if you add in Maryland and Rutgers that is still only five. Just asking because I really am not familiar with the situation and maybe you guys are.

http://www.collegecrosse.com/2013/2/5/3951074/conference-realignment-big-ten-johns-hopkins-lacrosse

ngineer
April 4th, 2013, 07:38 PM
I would be shocked if JHU joined the Big Ten for lacrosse...in fact, I don't know if they could even if they wanted. The Blue Jays have been one of the elites for many years. There has been scuttlebutt over the years of trying to get JHU to join the Patriot for all sports. Their academic profile fits well, however, questionable about their interest in having to upgrade many of their other sports that are currently D-III, but for lacrosse. Loyola, last year's NCAA Champion is joining the Patriot League in 2014. Along with Bucknell, Colgate, Lehigh, Army the PL could really become a force in this sport.

ngineer
April 16th, 2013, 11:47 PM
Lehigh Mountain Hawks now 9-4, 5--0 in the Patriot and currently ranked #14 in country, after beating Bucknell last week. Final regular season game this Saturday against arch-rival Laughyette Leotards. Lehigh will host PL Championship Tournament beginning April 26.

ngineer
April 21st, 2013, 07:59 PM
Lehigh throttled Laughyette, 14-5, last night. Was very good to see the intensity kept up with the season title and #1 tournament seed wrapped up. Of course, it was the Leotards and the seniors went out without EVER losing to those spotted pussies. PL Tournament starts at Lehigh Friday afternoon, with Bucknell facing Army. Lehigh will face Colgate at 7:30 p.m. The Championship game will be Sunday at 3 p.m. National TV, but not sure if ESPNU or CBSSportsNet.

ngineer
April 25th, 2013, 10:57 PM
Lehigh hosts Colgate at 7:30 p.m. Friday. CBSSportsNet televising nationally. Bucknell and Army square off at 4:30 p.m. Winners play Sunday at 3 p.m. for PL Title and auto-bid to NCAA Tournament.

ngineer
April 27th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Lehigh blasted Colgate last night in the PL Semi-finals, 15-7, and it wasn't that close. Mountain Hawks were up by 10 when coach began to send in a lot of second and third string. Bucknell beat Army, 12-9, to fill the other slot for Sunday afternoon at a 3:00 p.m. faceoff for the PL Championship and autobid to NCAA. CBSSportsnet televizing nationally.

ngineer
May 1st, 2013, 10:12 PM
Little late posting, but Lehigh clobbered Bucknell, 11-5 to repeat at PL Champs in lacrosse and receive the autobid to the NCAA dance. BU has a shot at an 'at large' bid depending on the outcome of some conference championships. If any upsets occur, their chances will go down. Brackets will be announced next this coming Sunday, with the Tournament to begin May 11.

Nova09
May 2nd, 2013, 09:16 AM
Cuse-ND and Nova-Gtown today. First game is always a huge lax matchup, but both will make tournament no matter how things play out. Nova has losing record, but is top seed in BE and has played nation's toughest schedule. Ranked around 19 by most. Beat Gtown in regular season, beat Cuse and lost to ND. Hard to imagine a win against Gtown would be enough to get an at-large, considering a loss would put them back to a losing record.

Nova09
May 3rd, 2013, 09:02 AM
it's entirely possible ngineer is the only person reading this, and he clearly doesn't need the update, but in case anyone else is reading...

Nova and Gtown had no problem putting it in the net, Nova just did it more times in a 15-12 victory on their home turf. Syracuse beat ND in the earlier game, so Nova-Cuse in the BE Championship Saturday for the autobid. Cuse will get a bid win or lose, ND will still get a bid with the loss, Gtown is done, as previously mentioned I can't imagine Nova gets an at-large with a losing record even though there'd be no shame in losing to Cuse and Nova has played the toughest schedule in the nation. Nova won the regular season matchup 11-10 at home.

ngineer
May 4th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Hah, yeah I may be the lone ranger, though Laker has checked in once or twice. Can't believe no othre LAX people on this Boad. Watched most of the Nova/Cuse game today. 'Cuse just a better team. Liked how 'nova staged a rally in the fourth quarter to make it interesting. The announcers were speculating Lehigh could be sent to the Carrier Dome in the first round. Brackets will be announced Sunday night at 9 p.m. on ESPNU.

WWII
May 4th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Albany wins AE 19-10 over UMBC. Albany women play in AE title game against Stony Brook tomorrow.

Laker
May 4th, 2013, 08:32 PM
it's entirely possible ngineer is the only person reading this, and he clearly doesn't need the update, but in case anyone else is reading... Yep, I'm here!

Hah, yeah I may be the lone ranger, though Laker has checked in once or twice.

Watched a little of the Albany-UMBC game this morning- what time did that start, 10 AM Eastern? I came in from my two mile walk after breakfast and it was already on. Then I saw some highlights of the Ohio State win over Denver for the ECAC crown. I wonder how long it will be until the Big Ten has enough teams to actually have their own conference in the sport.

bulldog10jw
May 5th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Yale defeats Princeton 12-8 today to win the Ivy tournament title, and the auto bid, for the 2nd straight year.

ngineer
May 5th, 2013, 10:51 PM
Yep, I'm here!

Watched a little of the Albany-UMBC game this morning- what time did that start, 10 AM Eastern? I came in from my two mile walk after breakfast and it was already on. Then I saw some highlights of the Ohio State win over Denver for the ECAC crown. I wonder how long it will be until the Big Ten has enough teams to actually have their own conference in the sport.

From what I'm hearing the Big 10 should have it's own conference for lacrosse in about 2-3 years. (Michigan, OSU, PSU, Rutgers, Maryland are the 'current' lacrosse playing schools with the new additions). I still can't believe Maryland is going there. They belong in the ACC. And Rutgers will be regretting the move very quickly.

ngineer
May 5th, 2013, 10:53 PM
#10 Lehigh will be travelling to Chapel Hill on Saturday for a 12 noon faceoff with the #5 Tar Heels. UNC was preseason #1 in some quarters. Lehigh knocked them off last year in a regular season game at UNC, so they will have some familiarity with them. Should be a good one. Television on ESPN2.

Laker
May 6th, 2013, 06:44 AM
From what I'm hearing the Big 10 should have it's own conference for lacrosse in about 2-3 years. (Michigan, OSU, PSU, Rutgers, Maryland are the 'current' lacrosse playing schools with the new additions). I still can't believe Maryland is going there. They belong in the ACC. And Rutgers will be regretting the move very quickly.

I think that six teams must be the minimum for a conference sport in the Big Ten since hockey just made it with Penn State starting up. Maybe Wisconsin will start up the sport- they don't have baseball, and they do have the city of LaCrosse. :D

They had a nice segment about Bryant making the tournament last night. I didn't know that their coach was the guy who was screwed over at Duke.

I agree with you- nothing makes sense in college sports any more.

Laker
May 6th, 2013, 07:09 AM
First round matchups- all Eastern times

1 Syracuse v Bryant 5/12 7:30

8 Penn State v Yale 5/11 2:30

5 UNC v Lehigh 5/11 12:00

4 Denver v Albany 5/11 7:30

3 Ohio St v Towson 5/12 3:00

6 Maryland v Cornell 5/12 1:00

7 Duke v Loyola MD 5/12 5:15

2 N Dame v Detroit 5/11 5:00

ngineer
May 7th, 2013, 04:12 PM
I think that six teams must be the minimum for a conference sport in the Big Ten since hockey just made it with Penn State starting up. Maybe Wisconsin will start up the sport- they don't have baseball, and they do have the city of LaCrosse. :D

They had a nice segment about Bryant making the tournament last night. I didn't know that their coach was the guy who was screwed over at Duke.

I agree with you- nothing makes sense in college sports any more.

Yes, and our HC Kevin Cassese was an assistant to him and actually coached Duke the following year, before coming to Lehigh as the HC.

ngineer
May 7th, 2013, 04:15 PM
I don't like our bracket draw. UNC was consensus #1 at outset of season and most of the way through. We did beat them last year at Chapel Hill, 10-9, so it is not a mountain we can't climb, but it will be steep. Winning that, though gets Denver/Albany winner. Denver is tough at home due to altitude. It effected our team back in March. Albany would be a 'driveable' roadtrip to make, so I'm pulling for the Danes.

Laker
May 11th, 2013, 01:09 PM
UNC beats Lehigh 16-7. Seemed like a rough contest to me but I don't see that many games.

bulldog10jw
May 11th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Yale losing 5-1 in the 2nd period to Penn State and playing just terrible.

bulldog10jw
May 11th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Nice 2nd half comeback. Yale 9 Penn State 6 with 2:30 left in the game.

Laker
May 11th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Yale wins 10-7. Congrats Bulldogs.

bulldog10jw
May 11th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Final: Yale10 PSU 7

Syracuse - Bryant winner next

bulldog10jw
May 11th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Yale wins 10-7. Congrats Bulldogs.

Thanks. Yale outscores PSU 9-2 in the second half. Great comeback after a horrible first half.

ngineer
May 12th, 2013, 09:18 PM
UNC beats Lehigh 16-7. Seemed like a rough contest to me but I don't see that many games.

Yes, the wheels fell off in a 4 minute span when the Heels scored 4-5 goals,to take a 6-2 lead. Couldn't get closer than two goals, and just didn't play well. Too many turnovers and when we had to open up late to try and catchup that played into UNC's great transition game. Final three goals by UNC were 'garbage time' as we had pulled our starters and the HC let all of the seniors who didn't play much during the year get to experience being in a playoff game. Our goalie was fantastic. Our midfield and defense just didn't come ready for UNC's speed and quickness. The slow, deliberate play in the first quarter was what we were looking for and led 2-1 after first quarter. UNC adjusted and made great use of their great diversity of talent. Many goal scorers as opposed to most teams that look to 2 or 3 scorers most of the time. I would not be surprised to see UNC win it all. Lehigh had a great season considering the sluggish start. Next year will be interesting with our top two scorers graduating. Some excellent talent recruited over the past two years, and now they will get to prove themselves.

bulldog10jw
May 14th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Quarterfinals:

Saturday, May 18
Cornell vs Ohio St.

Saturday, May 18
Yale vs Syracuse

Sunday, May 19
North Carolina vs Denver

Sunday, May 19
Duke vs Notre Dame

bulldog10jw
May 18th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Yale loses to top seeded Syracuse 7-6, giving up 3 goals in the last 3 minutes. A great defensive team with just not quite enough offense. Yale's 5 losses this season were by a total of 6 goals.

ngineer
May 18th, 2013, 10:36 PM
Yale loses to top seeded Syracuse 7-6, giving up 3 goals in the last 3 minutes. A great defensive team with just not quite enough offense. Yale's 5 losses this season were by a total of 6 goals.

Wow, what a tough way to lose. Reminds me of our last minute loss to Maryland last year. One of the exciting things about lacrosse is how quickly momentum, and scoring, can change and occur quickly.

tribe_pride
May 19th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Syracuse was shut out for the middle 43 minutes of that game (4 15 minute quarters) as it went up 4-0 late in the 1st quarter. Yale then scored 6 straight goals over the next few quarters until giving up the final 3 goals in the last 3 minutes.

Yale dominated the faceoffs and even won them all in the final period. Under old rules, Yale likely would have won with the old stalls where teams could run around with the lead for minutes at a time but the updated stalling rules (which are better than the old way of doing things) forced them out of it.

dakotadan
May 19th, 2013, 11:15 PM
I have to throw my support to Denver. It would be nice to see a truly western team win the championship.

ngineer
May 26th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Two great games yesterday! Unbelievable how the momentum shifts, especially in the Cornell/Duke game. RP3 was silent the whole third quarter and then exploded, but a little late. Questionable shot by Duke at the end to create the two goal cushion, but had he not scored it would have opened the door for Cornell to comeback down and tie the game.
I don't know why Tierney changed goalies for Denver! The starter seemed be hot. While the defense made some errors in the second half allowing the 'cuse to get some excellent shots, unless the goalie was hurt, I would have to question that strategy. DU lead entire game until last 58 seconds when Orange scored to tie, then scored to win with 19 secs remaining.
Duke v. Syracuse at 1 p.m. EDST on Monday for the NCAA Championship. Should be great. Considering going, but other family activities may interfere. ESPNU will be carrying.

Laker
May 26th, 2013, 10:34 AM
I wanted Denver to win it all, then Cornell. I guess that I'll have to pull for Puke now.