PDA

View Full Version : GSU Pro Day...

blueballs
March 16th, 2013, 11:38 AM
GSU had their "pro " day yesterday. There were over 20 NFL teams represented. Some of the highlights:

Brent Russell (DT #66) put up 36 reps of 225. He fielded questions from scouts about switching from DT to C.

Darius Eubanks (S #13) put up 23 reps of 225. He also ran 4.48 and 4.50 with a 34" vertical, 6.95 in the cone drill, 4.31 in the 20 yard shuttle, and 10'1' long jump.

J.J. Wilcox (S #19) opted to keep his times/measurements from the combine and went through pattern and catching drills.

The thought of Russell playing center is rather intriguing. He is obviously big and strong enough. He has excellent feet and is a smart guy (despite some of his immature actions) so that is something that might work out for him.

Saint3333
March 16th, 2013, 02:48 PM
He also has a mean streak that some great olineman have. The guy is a beast no doubt.

smallcollegefbfan
March 16th, 2013, 03:35 PM
GSU had their "pro " day yesterday. There were over 20 NFL teams represented. Some of the highlights:

Brent Russell (DT #66) put up 36 reps of 225. He fielded questions from scouts about switching from DT to C.

Darius Eubanks (S #13) put up 23 reps of 225. He also ran 4.48 and 4.50 with a 34" vertical, 6.95 in the cone drill, 4.31 in the 20 yard shuttle, and 10'1' long jump.

J.J. Wilcox (S #19) opted to keep his times/measurements from the combine and went through pattern and catching drills.

The thought of Russell playing center is rather intriguing. He is obviously big and strong enough. He has excellent feet and is a smart guy (despite some of his immature actions) so that is something that might work out for him.

Eubanks is going to get in a camp after that workout. I know his name was not big around the SoCon but he is an athlete, shown by the numbers, and has gotten NFL interest all fall.

Russell is the best football player of the three by far and center is interesting. I like him on defense because of his mean streak though.

NoDak 4 Ever
March 16th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Eubanks is going to get in a camp after that workout. I know his name was not big around the SoCon but he is an athlete, shown by the numbers, and has gotten NFL interest all fall.

Russell is the best football player of the three by far and center is interesting. I like him on defense because of his mean streak though.

A huge contributor to the loss in the semi, for sure.

Ivytalk
March 16th, 2013, 08:18 PM
We'll keep our eyes on #66!

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 16th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Where are those GSU fans that said we didn't have any good players in 2009 when these guys were freshmen?

seantaylor
March 17th, 2013, 02:29 AM
What did Dubose do? I know the Skins are very, very high on Eubanks. I expect him to get drafted. Safety is a huge need, and they don't have a pick in the first two rounds.

seantaylor
March 17th, 2013, 02:30 AM
Where are those GSU fans that said we didn't have any good players in 2009 when these guys were freshmen?

We didn't have any good coaches in 2009 when those guys were freshman. Having this many guys potentially picked is good, but it is going to happen WAY more frequently under Monken and Melton.

CFBfan
March 17th, 2013, 09:30 AM
We didn't have any good coaches in 2009 when those guys were freshman. Having this many guys potentially picked is good, but it is going to happen WAY more frequently under Monken and Melton.

apparently the coaches were at least good enough to recruit some pretty good talent.....

seantaylor
March 18th, 2013, 12:39 AM
apparently the coaches were at least good enough to recruit some pretty good talent.....

Talent comes with the name on the front of the jersey.

eaglewraith
March 18th, 2013, 06:19 AM
A huge contributor to the loss in the semi, for sure.

Actually no. Punting from your 35 is what lost us the game. We score there and the game was out of reach.

Bisonator
March 18th, 2013, 06:29 AM
From what I saw from Russell in the 2 games in Fargo, he is overrated. Could be wrong, but I think he gets owned in an NFL camp.

PaladinFan
March 18th, 2013, 07:27 AM
From what I saw from Russell in the 2 games in Fargo, he is overrated. Could be wrong, but I think he gets owned in an NFL camp.

I'm not sold on Russell either. My opinion is that he is a great college player, and strong as a bull ox, but I don't think his game will transfer to the NFL (why you see indications of him having to move positions). It makes it a bit more difficult for him given that he does not have a true position. I also think he has some "between the ears" issues that might turn teams off.

He may get a look in camp as an FA, but I don't see him sticking around at that level. That said, I've been wrong before.

PaladinFan
March 18th, 2013, 07:28 AM
What did Dubose do? I know the Skins are very, very high on Eubanks. I expect him to get drafted. Safety is a huge need, and they don't have a pick in the first two rounds.

Skins could use the money saved on two draft picks and put down something that resembles an NFL playing surface.

blueballs
March 18th, 2013, 08:37 AM

Go back and look at the first half of the 2012 game and study what he did before he got his ankle rolled up...

blueballs
March 18th, 2013, 08:41 AM
I'm not sold on Russell either. My opinion is that he is a great college player, and strong as a bull ox, but I don't think his game will transfer to the NFL (why you see indications of him having to move positions). It makes it a bit more difficult for him given that he does not have a true position. I also think he has some "between the ears" issues that might turn teams off.

He may get a look in camp as an FA, but I don't see him sticking around at that level. That said, I've been wrong before.

Russell is very intelligent- if you've ever heard him speak you'll understand- but prone to immature emotionally charged poor decisions.

As for the NFL, who knows? At GSU he didn't play against one man very often. Even Alabama double teamed him with Warmack and Jones, which in itself is high praise.

I think he'll get a shot... and if he's healthy and motivated, and more inportantly in the right situation, he might flourish.

The Eagle's Cliff
March 18th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Russell is very intelligent- if you've ever heard him speak you'll understand- but prone to immature emotionally charged poor decisions.

As for the NFL, who knows? At GSU he didn't play against one man very often. Even Alabama double teamed him with Warmack and Jones, which in itself is high praise.

I think he'll get a shot... and if he's healthy and motivated, and more inportantly in the right situation, he might flourish.

This is the question regarding the NFL.

Another issue for me is how many College fans like to measure their own success by number of players going to the NFL. This is comparing apples to washing machines IMO. The NFL player has to fit into a narrow size/speed/strength window that doesn't apply to "regular" football. The NFL game of football has become unique and from all indications will continue to evolve into some limited contact hybrid of the game I grew up watching in the 70's and 80's.

A recent example of this difference would be Armanti Edwards who could've started on any college team in the country in the right offensive system, but doesn't fit the cookie-cutter mold of an NFL player in any position.

PaladinFan
March 18th, 2013, 09:05 AM
This is the question regarding the NFL.

Another issue for me is how many College fans like to measure their own success by number of players going to the NFL. This is comparing apples to washing machines IMO. The NFL player has to fit into a narrow size/speed/strength window that doesn't apply to "regular" football. The NFL game of football has become unique and from all indications will continue to evolve into some limited contact hybrid of the game I grew up watching in the 70's and 80's.

A recent example of this difference would be Armanti Edwards who could've started on any college team in the country in the right offensive system, but doesn't fit the cookie-cutter mold of an NFL player in any position.

Case in point, Furman has more players on NFL rosters than Georgia Southern.

PaladinFan
March 18th, 2013, 09:08 AM

It's relative. I don't discount his intelligence, but there's something to be said for being smart enough to know when to not do something.

NoDak 4 Ever
March 18th, 2013, 09:09 AM

He makes those decisions when he is frustrated about being beat or is not 100% successful. Something that will happen more and more in the NFL.

CFBfan
March 18th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Talent comes with the name on the front of the jersey.

yeah....not so much and a contradiction to your original point

smallcollegefbfan
March 18th, 2013, 10:27 AM

Eubanks getting drafted would floor me. I know some people like him, as I said, but they don't have to draft him. He's one of those guys you can get with a good signing bonus after the draft.

smallcollegefbfan
March 18th, 2013, 10:34 AM

Yes but not really any made it recently. Have you noticed Furman doesn't really have anyone over the last 3 years or so make it? I loved Jerome Felton coming out and have loved several Furman prospects but nobody lately except Ryan Lee, the QB, and Ryan Steed and there were major issues with both.

Steed signed with Sports Stars and they absolutely ruined him. He got a big ego and cocky, mouthed off to scouts at his pro day. Don't know if you guys know but your QB got an offer from a team after getting cut and he didn't want to take it because he would have to compete. Very soft. His agent fired him from what I was told. Then Lee was rumored to be on the juice, reason why he had a freak pro day. Not saying he was but people thought he might be and I kept hearing character questions on him. Lately Furman has not been the NFL factory it once was and I hope that changes to the days when Orlando Ruff, Jerome Felton, etc. all came through.

PaladinFan
March 18th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Yes but not really any made it recently. Have you noticed Furman doesn't really have anyone over the last 3 years or so make it? I loved Jerome Felton coming out and have loved several Furman prospects but nobody lately except Ryan Lee, the QB, and Ryan Steed and there were major issues with both.

Steed signed with Sports Stars and they absolutely ruined him. He got a big ego and cocky, mouthed off to scouts at his pro day. Don't know if you guys know but your QB got an offer from a team after getting cut and he didn't want to take it because he would have to compete. Very soft. His agent fired him from what I was told. Then Lee was rumored to be on the juice, reason why he had a freak pro day. Not saying he was but people thought he might be and I kept hearing character questions on him. Lately Furman has not been the NFL factory it once was and I hope that changes to the days when Orlando Ruff, Jerome Felton, etc. all came through.

I don't see how that matters. The point is Furman has put more guys in the pros than Georgia Southern, a team that has had more success at the college level in recent history. Besides, Lee and Steed were graduates just two years ago, so your point is essentially Furman didn't put anyone on an NFL roster just last year.

Furman as never an "NFL Factory." Alabama is. Furman is a liberal arts college with 2600 students. It's impressive they even have one or two players in the league.

smallcollegefbfan
March 18th, 2013, 11:22 AM
I don't see how that matters. The point is Furman has put more guys in the pros than Georgia Southern, a team that has had more success at the college level in recent history. Besides, Lee and Steed were graduates just two years ago, so your point is essentially Furman didn't put anyone on an NFL roster just last year.

Furman as never an "NFL Factory." Alabama is. Furman is a liberal arts college with 2600 students. It's impressive they even have one or two players in the league.

My point was that Furman players the last few years have been soft mentally, or a big ego, or just have issues, which explains why you aren't winning like you use to. Furman use to be a NFL factory in I-AA/FCS. When I say that term you compare yourselves to Alabama and you never do that. I use that term comparing to other FCS programs.

When NFL teams map out which schools in the Southern Conference they are going to right now App State is the first with Georgia Southern once again becoming a program they automatically go in to and Samford has passed Furman. This year they came through Furman but none of those kids are really that good. Jerodis Williams is getting in a camp but that's about it. Lynn is stiff and soft. Anderson is slow (4.8s) and soft.

I'm not bashing Furman. I'm just telling you how the program is looked at right now. I have a lot of respect for what Bobby Lamb did. He put guys in the NFL. The last 3 years Furman has not done that and those who got a shot did not last long.

I remember when Dexter Jackson came through App State. He was a lot like Ryan Steed. He and Steed both were overrated, soft, and had big egos. Neither are in the NFL that I know of. App has had one Dexter in the last 5 years while Furman has had a lot of guys like Ryan or similar to him. One thing I'll give Lamb is he had tough guys who did not come off as egos. Felton was the best player over the last 6-8 years and he was as nice as can be while the others the last few years have come off as egos and that is not something I would want as a Furman alumni. Hopefully Fowler changes this.

EKU-n-GSU
March 18th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Furman was never an "NFL Factory." Alabama is. Furman is a liberal arts college with 2600 students. It's impressive they even have one or two players in the league.

One of my (many) idiosynchrasies is to note the colleges and universities that NFL'ers attended, and I specifically look for the no-name U's that produce the core of most NFL rosters. I agree w/your statement that's its impressive for Furman to put players in the NFL from that small a student body; it's equally impressive that GSU has had the success it has w/o the future NFL talent.

blueballs
March 18th, 2013, 12:06 PM
He makes those decisions when he is frustrated about being beat or is not 100% successful. Something that will happen more and more in the NFL.

You're talking about one penalty in one game... I'm talking about off field issues. BIG difference.

The Eagle's Cliff
March 18th, 2013, 02:30 PM

Exactly. Almost any college program (at any level) you name will have more alumni in the NFL than Ga Southern. Our brand of football has never been about size so it stands to reason most of our players will be too small for the cookie-cutter NFL mold.

PaladinFan
March 18th, 2013, 03:16 PM
My point was that Furman players the last few years have been soft mentally, or a big ego, or just have issues, which explains why you aren't winning like you use to. Furman use to be a NFL factory in I-AA/FCS. When I say that term you compare yourselves to Alabama and you never do that. I use that term comparing to other FCS programs.

When NFL teams map out which schools in the Southern Conference they are going to right now App State is the first with Georgia Southern once again becoming a program they automatically go in to and Samford has passed Furman. This year they came through Furman but none of those kids are really that good. Jerodis Williams is getting in a camp but that's about it. Lynn is stiff and soft. Anderson is slow (4.8s) and soft.

I'm not bashing Furman. I'm just telling you how the program is looked at right now. I have a lot of respect for what Bobby Lamb did. He put guys in the NFL. The last 3 years Furman has not done that and those who got a shot did not last long.

I remember when Dexter Jackson came through App State. He was a lot like Ryan Steed. He and Steed both were overrated, soft, and had big egos. Neither are in the NFL that I know of. App has had one Dexter in the last 5 years while Furman has had a lot of guys like Ryan or similar to him. One thing I'll give Lamb is he had tough guys who did not come off as egos. Felton was the best player over the last 6-8 years and he was as nice as can be while the others the last few years have come off as egos and that is not something I would want as a Furman alumni. Hopefully Fowler changes this.

I'm not debating you on your definition of "soft." I take the position that if you play football at the division 1 level, you are a tougher man than I am. Clearly Furman is not as hard nosed as they once were. You don't have to look far beyond 6 consecutive seasons without the playoffs to see that.

I do agree with you that Jerodis Williams is going to a camp. He's as tough a runner as I can remember. He got pummeled every game. I don't think Anderson will get into a camp, simply because I place him as one of those good college players whose career ends there. He still goes into the record books as one of the great tightends in Furman history.

I am certainly not in the loop, but for what its worth Furman has four players that show up on NFL rosters. Steed and Lee are both with the Saints. Felton reupped with the Vikings. Middleton does not show up with the Jags, but he was placed on IR last year, so I'm not sure what his status is.

smallcollegefbfan
March 18th, 2013, 03:29 PM
I'm not debating you on your definition of "soft." I take the position that if you play football at the division 1 level, you are a tougher man than I am. Clearly Furman is not as hard nosed as they once were. You don't have to look far beyond 6 consecutive seasons without the playoffs to see that.

I do agree with you that Jerodis Williams is going to a camp. He's as tough a runner as I can remember. He got pummeled every game. I don't think Anderson will get into a camp, simply because I place him as one of those good college players whose career ends there. He still goes into the record books as one of the great tightends in Furman history.

I am certainly not in the loop, but for what its worth Furman has four players that show up on NFL rosters. Steed and Lee are both with the Saints. Felton reupped with the Vikings. Middleton does not show up with the Jags, but he was placed on IR last year, so I'm not sure what his status is.

Some guys are tougher than others and glad to see Furman people agree that your team is not what it once was.

Steed was cut by Jets last year so he must have gotten signed as a camp body for the Saints. Lee is the type of guy you put on a practice squad but I don't think he lasts more than a year or two. Saints aren't as good as they once were so I take that into account but I'm sure they will get a better player than Lee. Lee was nowhere near as good as Kilgore in college.

Jerodis is on the radar and will get a shot. Lynn and Anderson are both guys I downgraded this year. I rejected Lynn and dropped Anderson from a low PFA to a tryout grade. I think he will get a shot as a camp body only but I doubt he makes it to training camp, or if he does he is cut quickly.

Felton and Middleton are much better players than Lee and Steed, in my opinion. I gave Middleton a 6th-7th round grade as a senior while I gave Felton a 3rd-4th round grade. I dropped Steed from a 4th round preseason grade to PFA and Lee was a free agent type guy who would last a year or two and then get replaced.

PaladinFan
March 18th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Some guys are tougher than others and glad to see Furman people agree that your team is not what it once was.

Steed was cut by Jets last year so he must have gotten signed as a camp body for the Saints. Lee is the type of guy you put on a practice squad but I don't think he lasts more than a year or two. Saints aren't as good as they once were so I take that into account but I'm sure they will get a better player than Lee. Lee was nowhere near as good as Kilgore in college.

Jerodis is on the radar and will get a shot. Lynn and Anderson are both guys I downgraded this year. I rejected Lynn and dropped Anderson from a low PFA to a tryout grade. I think he will get a shot as a camp body only but I doubt he makes it to training camp, or if he does he is cut quickly.

Felton and Middleton are much better players than Lee and Steed, in my opinion. I gave Middleton a 6th-7th round grade as a senior while I gave Felton a 3rd-4th round grade. I dropped Steed from a 4th round preseason grade to PFA and Lee was a free agent type guy who would last a year or two and then get replaced.

It's hard to argue that our team is as good as it was coming off a 3-8 season.

All of this stuff is relative. I suppose you are, or consider yourself to be, a NFL guru. Fine and good, but at the end of the day, Steed and Lee sit on NFL rosters. Whether they will still be there tomorrow is anyone's guess, but there's obviously someone with decision making power considers them valuable additions. So, I think we can agree (not that we were even debating the point), that Lee and Steed are a somewhere between All Pro and college washup.

smallcollegefbfan
March 18th, 2013, 08:16 PM
It's hard to argue that our team is as good as it was coming off a 3-8 season.

All of this stuff is relative. I suppose you are, or consider yourself to be, a NFL guru. Fine and good, but at the end of the day, Steed and Lee sit on NFL rosters. Whether they will still be there tomorrow is anyone's guess, but there's obviously someone with decision making power considers them valuable additions. So, I think we can agree (not that we were even debating the point), that Lee and Steed are a somewhere between All Pro and college washup.

They are camp rosters and were cut or on practice squads during the fall, even with all the injuries. Both have been cut by at least one team.

Both were good college players and yes they are not washups because if they are cut before the end of the year this year they will play somewhere in the AFL or CFL, if they want. I am just saying neither help a team and neither could make a top 10-15 team in the NFL. Middleton was a better corner, despite the hype, and honestly if Joel Bell was not a medical reject by team doctors I think he would have lasted longer than Lee. Not sure if you know this or not but as a senior Bell was damaged goods. A lot of people hated on me for having him as a PFA and not a draft pick but his medical reports were pretty bad. Both knees and shoulders messed up. I hated that for him because he was a good kid and played well for Furman.

Not a guru but talking to teams has really enlightened me on the process and a lot of what you read is not true. Most don't realize this but many teams are spending as much time on 2014 as they are 2013 right now. That has surprised me as I have fielded several requests on my FCS prospect list from teams for next year.

seantaylor
March 19th, 2013, 03:07 AM

This has to do with the style of offense. But, that is changing now. And Monken develops talent much better than any coach we've had since PJ, and maybe better than him.

PaladinFan
March 19th, 2013, 07:48 AM
This has to do with the style of offense. But, that is changing now. And Monken develops talent much better than any coach we've had since PJ, and maybe better than him.

Perhaps. That theory doesn't explain the defense, though. GSU is not a system defense - they run a 4-3 just like half the teams in college football.

PaladinFan
March 19th, 2013, 07:56 AM
They are camp rosters and were cut or on practice squads during the fall, even with all the injuries. Both have been cut by at least one team.

Both were good college players and yes they are not washups because if they are cut before the end of the year this year they will play somewhere in the AFL or CFL, if they want. I am just saying neither help a team and neither could make a top 10-15 team in the NFL. Middleton was a better corner, despite the hype, and honestly if Joel Bell was not a medical reject by team doctors I think he would have lasted longer than Lee. Not sure if you know this or not but as a senior Bell was damaged goods. A lot of people hated on me for having him as a PFA and not a draft pick but his medical reports were pretty bad. Both knees and shoulders messed up. I hated that for him because he was a good kid and played well for Furman.

Not a guru but talking to teams has really enlightened me on the process and a lot of what you read is not true. Most don't realize this but many teams are spending as much time on 2014 as they are 2013 right now. That has surprised me as I have fielded several requests on my FCS prospect list from teams for next year.

I try hard not to read much of anything. My opinion of sports journalism in 2013 is just slightly above my opinion of the gossip magazines you find at the grocery store checkout. That is to say, not that high.

I think because sports is, in some way, understandable to the "common man" everyone considers themselves an expert. However, not a single one of us would consider us an expert in the inner workings of any other billion dollar industry. The idea that scouting a player is as simple watching some tape ignores how much is on the line.

I take the same approach with people that go on and on about a coaches playcalling. It ignores the fact that a division 1 college football coach knows infintely more about the subject of football than any of us could hope to know. I doubt any of us would have one minute of patience with someone who knows a fraction of what we do about our job telling us what we didn't know.

off soapbox, but I generally agree with you.

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 19th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Perhaps. That theory doesn't explain the defense, though. GSU is not a system defense - they run a 4-3 just like half the teams in college football.

The success is built around the offense. I know people grumble about ascribing success to an offensive scheme but I just can't see any other explanation that wouldn't involve extreme homerism. The offense is the reason we have more national championships than all but one pair of FCS schools, not because our talent has been that much better across the board than the rest of the division.

pike51
March 19th, 2013, 08:09 AM
The success is built around the offense. I know people grumble about ascribing success to an offensive scheme but I just can't see any other explanation that wouldn't involve extreme homerism. The offense is the reason we have more national championships than all but one pair of FCS schools, not because our talent has been that much better across the board than the rest of the division.

Interesting thing is we have had more NFL prospects on the defensive side of the ball...

PaladinFan
March 19th, 2013, 08:18 AM

Combination of both. GSU is a talented program. They also benefited for years from running an offense that their opponents never saw on a weekly basis.

Tribe4SF
March 19th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Interesting thing is we have had more NFL prospects on the defensive side of the ball...

Not surprising considering the triple option, which generally has featured an undersized line. May be true of FCS in general, as it's been true over the years for W&M which has also been an offensive focused team most of the time.

seantaylor
March 20th, 2013, 01:09 AM

We've put a good bit of players in the league on defense. Kiwaukee Thomas, Earthwind Moreland, Fred Stokes, Edward Thomas, David Young, Laron Scott, and wouldn't be a bit surprised if we had 5 on rosters from this class.

smallcollegefbfan
March 20th, 2013, 10:23 AM
We've put a good bit of players in the league on defense. Kiwaukee Thomas, Earthwind Moreland, Fred Stokes, Edward Thomas, David Young, Laron Scott, and wouldn't be a bit surprised if we had 5 on rosters from this class.

I thought Laron got cut?

Which 5 this year? To me it's Brent Russell, Darius Eubanks, and JJ Wilcox. Who else do you think makes it?

seantaylor
March 21st, 2013, 03:48 AM
I thought Laron got cut?

Which 5 this year? To me it's Brent Russell, Darius Eubanks, and JJ Wilcox. Who else do you think makes it?

Those 3 are locks to me. I would not be surprised if Dubose and Stevenson make it. Long shots, but don't count them out. Stevenson has the makings of a stud on ST with his speed.

Laron is still on the Giants last I heard.

smallcollegefbfan
March 21st, 2013, 10:40 AM
Those 3 are locks to me. I would not be surprised if Dubose and Stevenson make it. Long shots, but don't count them out. Stevenson has the makings of a stud on ST with his speed.

Laron is still on the Giants last I heard.

It's a numbers game. I could see 2 of 5 or all 5. You never know. Glad to see Scott got signed to return because I thought I remembered him getting cut and being on a practice squad. He was a good return man and fast.

I really like Stevenson but I have not seen his pro day numbers yet to know if he will get a shot.

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 23rd, 2013, 09:43 PM
Personally, I see JJ drafted with Brent Russell and Eubanks being undrafted and getting shots. I'll be shocked if we have 3 players drafted. That would be unprecedented for GSU as far as I know.

Stevens was just a linebacker thrown onto the roster because our other linebackers Josh Rowe and Carlos Cave were both out for the season. He is a fast linebacker who tackles well, but he's not an NFL-caliber run stopper or blitzer.

smallcollegefbfan
March 23rd, 2013, 10:24 PM
Personally, I see JJ drafted with Brent Russell and Eubanks being undrafted and getting shots. I'll be shocked if we have 3 players drafted. That would be unprecedented for GSU as far as I know.

Stevens was just a linebacker thrown onto the roster because our other linebackers Josh Rowe and Carlos Cave were both out for the season. He is a fast linebacker who tackles well, but he's not an NFL-caliber run stopper or blitzer.

I don't see any way Russell or Eubanks are drafted. Not saying they don't have the physical tools or upside to make it but Russell's off field issues have soured teams on him. I have talked to 5-7 teams who told me no way he is drafted. Wilcox will definitely be drafted while I think all the others get a shot. With that said, I could see GSU having 3 make a roster as a rookie.

blueballs
March 24th, 2013, 10:55 AM
I don't see any way Russell or Eubanks are drafted. Not saying they don't have the physical tools or upside to make it but Russell's off field issues have soured teams on him. I have talked to 5-7 teams who told me no way he is drafted. Wilcox will definitely be drafted while I think all the others get a shot. With that said, I could see GSU having 3 make a roster as a rookie.

I think that is pretty darned spot on.

smallcollegefbfan
March 24th, 2013, 11:06 AM
I think that is pretty darned spot on.

Like I said they could all make it. Anything could happen on draft day and it just takes one to draft a guy but I would be very surprised if Eubanks were drafted. Russell would have been a draft pick had he done what he should have this year. He was on the Senior Bowl watch list and I know for a fact they were planning on inviting him but his stock dropped big time this year.

Just like with App State they have people who think Steven Miller is going to get drafted. He could certainly make a roster but I don't see any shot he is drafted.

Here are those from the SoCon who I believe will or are most likely to get drafted:

JJ Wilcox, GSU- Top 100 or 125
Aaron Mellette, Elon- mid rounds
Nicholas Williams, Samford- late rounds, would go much higher if he produced like Russell over his career
Demetrius McCray, App- late rounds

Others either with a shot to get drafted or definite PFAs:
Sam Martin, App
Brent Russell, GSU
Darius Eubanks, GSU
Jeremy Kimbrough, App
Jerodis Williams, Furman