PDA

View Full Version : Former Hofstra Receiver Impressing in New Orleans

GeauxColonels
August 30th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Wednesday, August 30, 2006
By Mike Triplett

The Saints realized when Marques Colston still was available in the seventh round of the draft it might be their last chance to snatch the physically gifted receiver out of Hofstra

The Saints deserve more praise than any other NFL team for "discovering" receiver Marques Colston, but they won't try to take too much credit.

After all, they passed on him seven times before making him the 252nd overall pick in April's draft.

"Hey, if we loved him, we would have drafted him in the third round or the fourth round," Coach Sean Payton said. "But we liked him."

NICE CATCH (http://www.nola.com/saints/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/1156915673206790.xml&coll=1)

Uncle Buck
August 31st, 2006, 06:43 AM
Another story that was out there about Colston moving up the charts. The more he shows his talent, the more I think that HU's offensive coordinator never used his full potential.
http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/sports/football/nfl/new_orleans_saints/15394514.htm

Blue Hen Nation
August 31st, 2006, 12:54 PM
I think that's why NO had such an easy time trading stallworth to the Eagles. They seem to have quite a bit of faith in this kid and are willing to bank their future on him.

GeauxColonels
August 31st, 2006, 01:40 PM
I think that's why NO had such an easy time trading stallworth to the Eagles. They seem to have quite a bit of faith in this kid and are willing to bank their future on him.
Yeah, that and Stallworth never lived up to his potential. Also, he and Coach Payton has conflicting personalities.

Blue Hen Nation
August 31st, 2006, 02:31 PM
It sounds like NO found themselves a little 7th round gem.

GeauxColonels
August 31st, 2006, 03:11 PM
It sounds like NO found themselves a little 7th round gem.
Exactly what I've been thinking! :thumbsup:

kardplayer
September 10th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Colston scored the Saints only TD in today's 19-14 victory over the Browns today!

MR. CHICKEN
September 10th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Yeah, that and Stallworth never lived up to his potential. Also, he and Coach Payton has conflicting personalities.

POTENTIAL?.......DONTE'S 42 YARD GRAB..FO' 6......NO POTENTIAL?

GeauxColonels
September 10th, 2006, 10:08 PM
POTENTIAL?.......DONTE'S 42 YARD GRAB..FO' 6......NO POTENTIAL?
I never said that he didn't have potential, I just said that he never lived up to it in New Orleans. Personally, I would have loved to see him have a breakout game so we could keep him, but the coaches liked the young crop of receivers that we have.

GeauxLions94
September 11th, 2006, 01:30 AM
Colston scored the Saints only TD in today's 19-14 victory over the Browns today!

Touchdown Saints!

ChickenMan
September 13th, 2006, 07:57 AM
From today's paper...

Marcus Colston may be the steal of the NFL draft...

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FBN_SAINTS_COLSTON?SITE=DEWIL&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

GeauxColonels
September 17th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Colston is DA MAN!!!!!! 35yd TD reception in the 4th quarter to put the Saints ahead of the Packers by 7!!!!

GeauxColonels
September 17th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Also, a good story about Colston:

My brother-in-law did an internship with the Saints during their Rookie, Mini and Training camps through the Nicholls State sports medicine curriculum. He said that he got to spend a good bit of time with Colston, giving him some treatment. He said that Colston thanked him for his help and the my brother-in-law told him that he needed to look out for his fellow I-AA guys.

Colston asked where he was from, he told him Nicholls State and he said that Colston was really good to him after that. Sounds like a class guy. He does it on the field without any of the showboating.

Uncle Buck
September 18th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Looks like he's really working out down there for the Saints. Good kid that I'm glad to see doing well. Also Geaux Lions, great pic of him extending the ball to the goal.