PDA

View Full Version : Quinn a walk on

Ronbo
August 30th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Montana got JD Quinn to walk on. Can you beat that! :)

August 30th, 2006, 07:04 PM
is he THE eskimo? xlolx

The Fan
August 30th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Montana got JD Quinn to walk on. Can you beat that! :)

Must have had some money left over from his summer job............

Proud Griz Man
August 30th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Must have had some money left over from his summer job............

Exactly what I was thinking. :o :o :o

Ronbo
August 30th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Ha! Funny. Nope just a big stappin Texas boy (310 Lbs) that was the 24th ranked O-Lineman out of HS and started for Oklahoma as a freshman. This kids a stud and has the potential be a I-AA All American in 2007 and 2008.:nod: :thumbsup:

siugrad99
August 31st, 2006, 12:19 AM
shouldn't be allowed to play. He knowingly broke the rules and should sit a season to pay for his "mistake". Simple as that Montana got a gift for someone cheating. Enjoy it.

GrizFoo
August 31st, 2006, 12:45 AM
Cheating? I wouldn't call it cheating by the player, maybe by the booster. But how did the kid cheat?

slostang
August 31st, 2006, 01:52 AM
Cheating? I wouldn't call it cheating by the player, maybe by the booster. But how did the kid cheat?
The booster did not put the money in his pocket, the kid took it.

It would be hard at 19 not to. Let's hope he learned a valuable leason and makes the most out of his second chance with the Griz. Sounds like he will be a stud.

Ronbo
August 31st, 2006, 06:32 AM
The NCAA hasn't decided the final punishment for these guys. It could be 5 games to the entire season. That's a pretty heavy price that Quinn is taking, loss of his scholarship and opportunity to have a career at OU. Loss of an Oklahoma dipolma. Loss of aid for the 2006 season. And anywhere from 5 games to the entire season missed. Seems like he's paying pretty good for the crime. No wait there's a few people that would rather they be banned from football altogether or better yet let's string them up.:rolleyes:

JMU2004
August 31st, 2006, 06:40 AM
I wouldn't want this kind of person associated with my program.....:nono:

sometimes you recruit kids who get in trouble.....but taking a kid AFTER he has been in severe trouble, nope. Same goes for SHSU and Bomar. Even if they suceed and take Montana and SHSU deep in the playoffs, the media will constantly remind us WHY they are in I-AA

Ronbo
August 31st, 2006, 06:50 AM
We probably would not have touched him but Joe Glenn's son is a coach at Oklahoma and told our coaches that Quinn is a good kid and made a stupid mistake. He's a 3.3 student. He deserves a second chance with the severe penalties he's paying.

From the Missoulian.

"J.D. has paid a heavy price for a mistake that he made at the University of Oklahoma," Montana coach Bobby Hauck said. "He lost is academic aid and opportunity to play football there and will walk on to our team and try to earn a scholarship."

Quinn, of Garland, Texas, was projected to be a starting guard at Oklahoma after starting four games last season.

"I would like to thank coach Hauck and his staff, and the people of Montana, for giving me a second chance to fix a bad situation that I created at Oklahoma," Quinn said. "I am looking forward to playing football for the Grizzlies and I hope that happens soon."

What's really funny here is that if Quinn chose JMU or Cal Poly or Whatever U. their fans would be happy and hoping he could play as soon as possible. Hypocrites!

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 31st, 2006, 08:54 AM
We probably would not have touched him but Joe Glenn's son is a coach at Oklahoma and told our coaches that Quinn is a good kid and made a stupid mistake. He's a 3.3 student. He deserves a second chance with the severe penalties he's paying.

From the Missoulian.

"J.D. has paid a heavy price for a mistake that he made at the University of Oklahoma," Montana coach Bobby Hauck said. "He lost is academic aid and opportunity to play football there and will walk on to our team and try to earn a scholarship."

Quinn, of Garland, Texas, was projected to be a starting guard at Oklahoma after starting four games last season.

"I would like to thank coach Hauck and his staff, and the people of Montana, for giving me a second chance to fix a bad situation that I created at Oklahoma," Quinn said. "I am looking forward to playing football for the Grizzlies and I hope that happens soon."

What's really funny here is that if Quinn chose JMU or Cal Poly or Whatever U. their fans would be happy and hoping he could play as soon as possible. Hypocrites!

I couldn't agree more with what you are saying, but I will agree EVEN more with my JMU brother who points out that the media loves to point out why we are I-AA and "second tier" to the great BCS. I just don't like giving the media any more opportunities than is necessary to put us down.

I am happy that he has landed in such a wonderful program. We too take on transfers - hell, Rascati is always being called, "The QB that tranfered from Louisville" I think it does a great disservice to I-AA and the schools for such student athletes to be referred to as anything other than a JMU Duke, a Montana Grizzly, or whatever it is your school may be.

Please do be careful with the hypocrite comment... There are nuances between situations with transfers and many of us hang our heads low when our programs take on great athletic phenoms who steal the spot of a hard working student athlete on our team. :nonono2:

slostang
August 31st, 2006, 08:59 AM

From the Missoulian.

Hey Ronbo, I sure hope you are not calling me a hypocrite. Since I am the only Poly poster who has posted on this thread, I assume you are. I said the kid was not blameless. It was in response to GrizFoo saying "Cheating? I would not call it cheating by the player, maybe the booster. But how did the kid cheat?". Are you saying the kid did nothing wrong and only the booster should be punished? If so, you are a fool. I said the booster did not put the money in his pocket. The kid took it. Even JD admitted his mistake and knows there is a price to pay. If you read my entire post you would have seen that I also said at 19 it would be hard not to take. I then went on to say I hope he learned a leason and will make the most of his second chance with the Griz and that he looks like a stud. No where did I say that the Griz should not take him or that he do not deserve a second chance. I wish him the best of luck. As far as you, watch calling me a hypocrite.

Ronbo
August 31st, 2006, 09:32 AM
It was aimed at the guys that say stuff like "We wouldn't want a guy like that in our program."

slostang
August 31st, 2006, 09:41 AM
It was aimed at the guys that say stuff like "We wouldn't want a guy like that in our program."
Just for the record, no Cal Poly poster said that. Good luck this season and we will see you in November.

JMU2004
August 31st, 2006, 09:43 AM
Hey, its my personal opinion. Other JMU posters may not agree with me.

I personally would not want that kind of attention for my school, thats all :thumbsup:

GrizFoo
August 31st, 2006, 10:49 AM
...I said the kid was not blameless. It was in response to GrizFoo saying "Cheating? I would not call it cheating by the player, maybe the booster. But how did the kid cheat?". Are you saying the kid did nothing wrong and only the booster should be punished? If so, you are a fool. I said the booster did not put the money in his pocket. The kid took it. Even JD admitted his mistake and knows there is a price to pay. If you read my entire post you would have seen that I also said at 19 it would be hard not to take. I then went on to say I hope he learned a leason and will make the most of his second chance with the Griz and that he looks like a stud. No where did I say that the Griz should not take him or that he do not deserve a second chance. I wish him the best of luck. As far as you, watch calling me a hypocrite.

slostang, I do believe the kid shares the blame, he is not blameless at all. I just put more blame on the booster and the entire system. The kid is a pawn to be used and tossed aside. And that is exactly what happened, and exactly what a lot of posters think should happen. I don't pretend to know what a proper punishment should be for the kid, but not getting to play football again (I know that isn't what you are saying slo, but some seem to be) is extreme.

youwouldno
August 31st, 2006, 11:00 AM
There are programs, without question, that wouldn't take the kid. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a second chance, but a critic isn't automatically a 'hypocrite' for saying they wouldn't want him.

UAalum72
August 31st, 2006, 11:06 AM
Tank McNamara last week
http://a.sc.msn.com/`N/L1+78O6XH5EQJESN7E5-4.gif

putter
August 31st, 2006, 11:14 AM
Tank McNamara last week
http://a.sc.msn.com/`N/L1+78O6XH5EQJESN7E5-4.gif

Ouch! That hurts....: smh :

slostang
August 31st, 2006, 11:49 AM
slostang, I do believe the kid shares the blame, he is not blameless at all. I just put more blame on the booster and the entire system. The kid is a pawn to be used and tossed aside. And that is exactly what happened, and exactly what a lot of posters think should happen. I don't pretend to know what a proper punishment should be for the kid, but not getting to play football again (I know that isn't what you are saying slo, but some seem to be) is extreme.
I am all for him getting a second chance and hope that he takes full advantage of it. I also put more of the blame on the booster. From all accounts, the kid is a good kid that made a mistake. I can not count how many I made at that age. I am glad they did not make the national press. Good luck to JD. Make your parents and Montana proud.:thumbsup:

darussian12
August 31st, 2006, 05:13 PM
hey at least montana did this better then Sam...looks like Quinn will have to earn a schollie and not have his hand held through the process...i can only imagine what the other guy is getting promised/given at Sam but hey its just my imagination running wild...best of luck to the program and hope it all works out up north