PDA

View Full Version : NL East Thread 2013

Pages : [1] 2 3

PaladinFan
March 1st, 2013, 04:43 PM
March 1. So it begins.

One word about the infield fly rule, and I'll smack somebody.

ngineer
March 1st, 2013, 08:37 PM
March 1. So it begins.

One word about the infield fly rule, and I'll smack somebody.

"I got it!" xsmiley_wix

Glad to see this return. Hope springs eternal as the Phillie Geriatrics will try to push back 'father time' for at least one more year. I really believe if the starting infield can average around 140 starts we'll be in the hunt. I think, other than the Marlins, the NL East will be a beast. Even the Mets might be competitive,though I can't see them making the playoffs.

seantaylor
March 2nd, 2013, 12:41 AM
Nats will dominate

PaladinFan
March 2nd, 2013, 06:13 AM
"I got it!" xsmiley_wix

Glad to see this return. Hope springs eternal as the Phillie Geriatrics will try to push back 'father time' for at least one more year. I really believe if the starting infield can average around 140 starts we'll be in the hunt. I think, other than the Marlins, the NL East will be a beast. Even the Mets might be competitive,though I can't see them making the playoffs.

Phillies are, perhaps, the biggest question mark in all of baseball. I can see them as a playoff team just as easily as I can see them having another poor season.

I am not 100% sure what Amaro's gameplan was for the offseason. I do think Philly hit the wall I've expected for some time, where they either ran out of spending money or movable assets.
He is banking quite heavily on resurgent seasons from aging veterans. They should have the pitching staff to keep them in the race, though, but their margin for error this year is much smaller.

PaladinFan
March 2nd, 2013, 06:17 AM
Nats will dominate

Not sure about dominate, but I like the addition of Span. I like Soriano, but not at what, $13m per year. I have them as the favorites in the East (mostly because I'm one of those guys that puts you at the top until someone beats you).

They did lead the ML in wins last year, but also had career seasons from several players. Need for guys like Laroche to keep production up and for Harper to avoid a sophomore slump that plagues just about everybody.

seantaylor
March 2nd, 2013, 11:17 AM
Nats had an unbelievable number of lengthy injuries last season. Be hard to duplicate the amount of games by starters missed again. Dan Haren was the biggest addition,IMO

ngineer
March 2nd, 2013, 07:55 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see both NL wildcards come out of the NL East. Certainly, Nats should get nod as the 'favorite', but neither Braves or Phillies are that far back all things being equal. Whoever is able to keep their best bodies on the field will win.

seantaylor
March 3rd, 2013, 02:31 AM
On paper, both the Phillies and Braves are that far back. We will see how things transpire.

PaladinFan
March 3rd, 2013, 06:09 AM
Haren's a nice piece, but he's essentially going to give you (if healthy) what Edwin Jackson did. Journeyman starter who, at times, is very good, but has struggled to stay healthy and stay consistent.

Everyone can have an opinion, but Atlanta is not that far off Washington's pace. They made some substantial moves this offseason that will keep Atlanta in the playoff race for the foreseeable future.

seantaylor
March 4th, 2013, 02:23 AM
]Haren's a nice piece, but he's essentially going to give you (if healthy) what Edwin Jackson did. Journeyman starter who, at times, is very good, but has struggled to stay healthy and stay consistent.
[/B]
Everyone can have an opinion, but Atlanta is not that far off Washington's pace. They made some substantial moves this offseason that will keep Atlanta in the playoff race for the foreseeable future.

Haren a journeyman? He's a huge upgrade from Edwin Jackson.

ngineer
March 4th, 2013, 08:13 PM
I think 90 wins can win the NL East this year as teams beat on each other. Phils won 81 last year without four major pieces for half the season (Utley, Howard, Halladay and Polanco). The first three are healthy and showing good so far in spring training, and Young's bat will be upgrade over Polanco on the dl most of season. Bullpen has been upgraded with Adams in the 8 hole. I think a lot of people are overlooking the Fightin's....though I know Jason Werth isn't, as he picked them to be the Nat's biggest threat.

seantaylor
March 5th, 2013, 01:53 AM
90 games isn't winning the East. It may take 100. The Mets and Marlins are going to be historically bad. Especially the Fish.

PaladinFan
March 5th, 2013, 05:28 AM
I think 90 wins can win the NL East this year as teams beat on each other. Phils won 81 last year without four major pieces for half the season (Utley, Howard, Halladay and Polanco). The first three are healthy and showing good so far in spring training, and Young's bat will be upgrade over Polanco on the dl most of season. Bullpen has been upgraded with Adams in the 8 hole. I think a lot of people are overlooking the Fightin's....though I know Jason Werth isn't, as he picked them to be the Nat's biggest threat.

The Phillies have not addressed their major organizational problem that hounded them last year - aging vets and little depth. If everyone stays completely healthy for the majority of the year, and they don't tank right out of the gate like they did last season, then they can certainly be a player.

Amaro's offseason was, frankly, a bit strange. I like the move for Revere, but it came at the cost of Vance Worley. That simply fills one position of need and creates another, as their is no obvious choice to step into the rotation. I'm mad they chose Lannan, because like Oliver Perez, he gives the Braves fits, but he's still a long way from a reliable rotation guy. The bullpen is improved, and the Phillies will rely again on what worked in 2011 - deep games by the starters, hand it to the late inning guys.

The signing of Michael Young and Delmon Young are probably indicative of where the Phillies are right now. Michael Young had a pretty terrible season last year in what is widely considered one of the most friendly hitters parks in the Majors. Additionally, his defense is terrible at third base. He does have some stellar years recently, but Philly is banking that his bat hasn't worn out. Nearly the exact same scenario with Delmon Young. If they play to their potential, then the Phillies got a steal.

PaladinFan
March 5th, 2013, 05:41 AM
My take on Atlanta is they had a really strong offseason.

Pitching wise, Atlanta subtracts Tommy Hanson and flips him for Jordan Walden. I liked Big Red, but it was fairly clear to see that his drop in velocity was not a fluke. Walden, coming off an injury, is a former all star closer and gives the Braves another weapon in an already extremely deep bullpen. The starters need to keep the status quo. Your rotation does not have to be lights out when you can hand the ball to the bullpen Atlanta has.

On offense, Atlanta has definitely added some thunder. Gerald Laird is a quality MLB catcher, and will serve as a good backup to McCann. The Upton brothers give Atlanta the most dynamic outfield in the NL, if not the MLB. Three guys that are MVP calibre that can be 20/20 hitters. Also add some much needed righthanded balance to the lineup. Key here is whether Simmons can hold down the leadoff role. My biggest concern, though, is the strikeouts. The Braves dealt Prado and lost Chipper Jones, two guys that handle the bat extremely well, and replaced them with two high strikeout guys (albeit both are upgrades in power).

Wren did a really nice job this offseason. He met needs without breaking the bank, dealt from positions of depth, and kept the core of the team (and his core prospects) intact. Not an easy thing to do.

MR. CHICKEN
March 5th, 2013, 07:37 AM
17600.....FOR PHILS....LAST YEARS...CATALYST......"COOCH"....IS OUT DUH FIRST 25......GAMES LOST IN APRIL.....WILL HAUNT....IN SEPTEMBERAH!

bluehenbillk
March 5th, 2013, 07:59 AM
The Phillies are healthy, something you haven't been able to say for the last two years.

PaladinFan
March 5th, 2013, 08:13 AM
The Phillies are healthy, something you haven't been able to say for the last two years.

No doubt. Every team has injuries. Part of the game. My point is that the Phillies tend to lack the depth to replace those injuries. I also think that is 100% intentional. Instead of spreading their payroll over 25 men, they spend heavily on 12 or 13 and use replacement players to fill in the rest. That is their business model. It has worked in the past. It has also failed them.

For example, Utley will hit in the middle of the lineup, but he hasn't played more than 115 games in three years. Carlos Ruiz, who carried the team last season, is suspended. Delmon Young has had substantial injury issues his entire career.

seantaylor
March 6th, 2013, 01:46 AM
I don't have a read on the Phillies. Their pitching should be the second best in the East, but that lineup is old, and injury prone. Victorino and Pence, to me, were their two best hitters.

PaladinFan
March 6th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Jonah Keri drafts an article on the Phillies on Grantland. (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9015864/jonah-keri-why-philadelphia-phillies-need-retool-their-roster). Thought it was a compelling argument. Begs the question whether the Phillies FO should accept that, while they could make a run this season, that for the long term viability of the franchise they need to blow the team up and rebuild. Thoughts?

bluehenbillk
March 6th, 2013, 08:12 AM
No doubt. Every team has injuries. Part of the game. My point is that the Phillies tend to lack the depth to replace those injuries. I also think that is 100% intentional. Instead of spreading their payroll over 25 men, they spend heavily on 12 or 13 and use replacement players to fill in the rest. That is their business model. It has worked in the past. It has also failed them.

For example, Utley will hit in the middle of the lineup, but he hasn't played more than 115 games in three years. Carlos Ruiz, who carried the team last season, is suspended. Delmon Young has had substantial injury issues his entire career.

You're 100% correct, with the exception of their bullpen the Phils don't have a lot of depth, but then again nobody does with starting pitching. If any contending team loses one of the top 3 in their rotation it's going to be a big loss.

Regarding the above article that says the Phillies should blow up their team, the way the team plays by the All-Star break will determine what happens. The Phils have a soft schedule to open the year (2nd easiest in MLB). This is likely Ruiz's last year as a Phillie, Utley & Halladay are in the last years of their deals & even though both have said they'd like to retire as Phils, they need to show they can stay healthy. Delmon Young- I don't know what if any factor he may be, two of the OF spots look sold right now with Revere & Brown, the 3rd spot is up for grabs as Ruf isn't hitting like they expected but spring training is still relatively early.

PaladinFan
March 6th, 2013, 09:20 AM
You're 100% correct, with the exception of their bullpen the Phils don't have a lot of depth, but then again nobody does with starting pitching. If any contending team loses one of the top 3 in their rotation it's going to be a big loss.

Regarding the above article that says the Phillies should blow up their team, the way the team plays by the All-Star break will determine what happens. The Phils have a soft schedule to open the year (2nd easiest in MLB). This is likely Ruiz's last year as a Phillie, Utley & Halladay are in the last years of their deals & even though both have said they'd like to retire as Phils, they need to show they can stay healthy. Delmon Young- I don't know what if any factor he may be, two of the OF spots look sold right now with Revere & Brown, the 3rd spot is up for grabs as Ruf isn't hitting like they expected but spring training is still relatively early.

Admittedly, I have a unhealthy fascination with roster construction. In baseball it is particularly interesting when you combine payrolls, metrics, and the farm systems.

superman7515
March 6th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Delmon Young cleared for light baseball activities. When asked if he was anxious to get on the field for the Phillies, he replied: "No, not really. It's cold and it's only March 6. I'm not anxious at all." Not exactly the most enthusiastic response you'd like to hear, haha.

bluehenbillk
March 6th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Delmon Young cleared for light baseball activities. When asked if he was anxious to get on the field for the Phillies, he replied: "No, not really. It's cold and it's only March 6. I'm not anxious at all." Not exactly the most enthusiastic response you'd like to hear, haha.

If Ruf would starting playing to expectations Delmon Young would be nothing but a bench player.

PaladinFan
March 6th, 2013, 12:36 PM

Only time you'll see "Delmon Young" and "light" in the same sentence.

How shocking is it that a guy that has had a crappy attitude for years still has a crappy attitude?

PaladinFan
March 6th, 2013, 12:39 PM
If Ruf would starting playing to expectations Delmon Young would be nothing but a bench player.

I mean, if the Phillies felt really comfortable with Brown and Ruf, they wouldn't have brought in Young. Not to state the obvious, but Ruf has some talent, but he's still a 26 year old rookie with less than 40 major league at bats.

bluehenbillk
March 6th, 2013, 02:18 PM
The Phillies & Nats should be a fun rivalry to watch this summer. In today's pre-season game Strasburg hits Utley with a pitch, Halladay starts off the next inning by throwing behind the Nat's Tyler Moore, and it's only the first week of March.

ngineer
March 6th, 2013, 11:30 PM
Sorry I missed that. The pleasant surprise so far is Brown hitting he cover off the ball and Howard looks like he's 'back'.

PaladinFan
March 7th, 2013, 06:27 AM
Some rumors that the Braves may be listening to offers on Johnny Venters.

The Braves certainly have enviable bullpen depth. Most enviable, perhaps, is that Atlanta has three lefty setup men - theoretically making one of them expendable. Lefthanded setup guys are an commodity, and there are not but a handful of quality pitchers in the entire league. You could make a case that three of the best left handed relievers in the National League all play for the Braves.

I'd just as soon the Braves keep their bullpen advantage intact.

superman7515
March 7th, 2013, 07:06 PM

Ruf today said he doesn't mind playing AAA ball, so it's good to see that the trend of Phillies outfielders who don't care is continuing.

ngineer
March 7th, 2013, 09:00 PM
Ruf today said he doesn't mind playing AAA ball, so it's good to see that the trend of Phillies outfielders who don't care is continuing.

I would interpret that as being a 'corporately correct' statement, telling brass that he won't be offended if he starts for the Iron Pigs. Actually, would probably be better that he play regularly for Lehigh Valley rather than sit on the bench and get few swings.

ngineer
March 7th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Some rumors that the Braves may be listening to offers on Johnny Venters.

The Braves certainly have enviable bullpen depth. Most enviable, perhaps, is that Atlanta has three lefty setup men - theoretically making one of them expendable. Lefthanded setup guys are an commodity, and there are not but a handful of quality pitchers in the entire league. You could make a case that three of the best left handed relievers in the National League all play for the Braves.I'd just as soon the Braves keep their bullpen advantage intact.

All depends on which Bastardo appears on April 1. When he's 'on' he is an extremely nasty lefty.

TTUEagles
March 7th, 2013, 09:05 PM
With Walden hurt, though, I wouldn't rush moving Venters if I were in the Braves FO...Having disc problems in the Spring could linger for a while.

superman7515
March 7th, 2013, 09:58 PM
I would interpret that as being a 'corporately correct' statement, telling brass that he won't be offended if he starts for the Iron Pigs. Actually, would probably be better that he play regularly for Lehigh Valley rather than sit on the bench and get few swings.

Well not everyone agreed because several players took offense that he wasn't more focused on making the major league roster instead of just having a la-di-da attitude about where he plays.

seantaylor
March 8th, 2013, 03:06 AM
Nationals only weakness is a lack of a quality LOOGY in the pen. Not that big of a deal because of all the power arms back there. Clippards change up just owns lefties.

PaladinFan
March 8th, 2013, 06:26 AM
All depends on which Bastardo appears on April 1. When he's 'on' he is an extremely nasty lefty.

Bastardo's an interesting case. He had a stellar 2011, but the remainder of his career has been pretty mediocre. Outside of that one season, he's never had an ERA lower than the 4.30's.

Goes without saying, though, that he's a key piece if he can "re-find" that 2011 form.

PaladinFan
March 8th, 2013, 06:33 AM
Well not everyone agreed because several players took offense that he wasn't more focused on making the major league roster instead of just having a la-di-da attitude about where he plays.

This guy? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCX_XlRYYDo

PaladinFan
March 8th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Atlanta's defensive magician turning a nifty double play for the Netherlands. http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=25683807&topic_id=31426364

Simmons makes difficult plays look easy. Perhaps the most impressive part about the play is not that he got to the ball, but he darn near threw it past the first baseman standing in centerfield throwing flat footed. That's some arm strength.

PaladinFan
March 11th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Atlanta got its first good look at Stephen Strasburg. Looks like Maholm and Strasburg pitched to a near draw until the middle innings when Atlanta tagged Strasburg for 4 runs (all earned) and then jumped on Zach Duke for another two more. All they needed.

Spring training is what it is, but it never hurts for a team to get a shot of confidence against a good pitcher. Baseball is a funny game, and every single season there are teams that will hammer a great pitcher and then get dominated by a replacement guy. Often, those things are 100% mental.

PaladinFan
March 11th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Get used to the name, Simba's homerun ties Cuba in Netherland's win in the WBC. http://mlb.mlb.com/wbc/2013/video/?content_id=25706727&query=game_pk%3D361280

Real shocker in the baseball world with Netherlands knocks off Cuba to advance to the final round in the Classic. Not every team in the world can pull off all-red uniforms, though.

ngineer
March 12th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Atlanta got its first good look at Stephen Strasburg. Looks like Maholm and Strasburg pitched to a near draw until the middle innings when Atlanta tagged Strasburg for 4 runs (all earned) and then jumped on Zach Duke for another two more. All they needed.

Spring training is what it is, but it never hurts for a team to get a shot of confidence against a good pitcher. Baseball is a funny game, and every single season there are teams that will hammer a great pitcher and then get dominated by a replacement guy. Often, those things are 100% mental.

I remember years ago, the Phillies had a backup first baseman named Tommy Hutton. He OWNED Tom Seaver. I think he had a career BA against Tom Terrific of around .400, yet was a career mediocre hitter.

PaladinFan
March 13th, 2013, 04:58 AM
I remember years ago, the Phillies had a backup first baseman named Tommy Hutton. He OWNED Tom Seaver. I think he had a career BA against Tom Terrific of around .400, yet was a career mediocre hitter.

Weird things like that happen. Oliver Perez's ERA against Atlanta is nearly one run lower than his career number. Same with John Lannan. Anibal Sanchez, who has pretty respectable career numbers, is 4-11 with an ERA over 5.40 against the Braves.

No real way to explain it.

bluehenbillk
March 13th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Halladay got beat up by the Tigers yesterday, have to wonder if the "old Halladay" will ever be back. His velocity is high-80's now versus low-90's. Phils can't win division without 15+ wins from Roy.

PaladinFan
March 13th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Halladay got beat up by the Tigers yesterday, have to wonder if the "old Halladay" will ever be back. His velocity is high-80's now versus low-90's. Phils can't win division without 15+ wins from Roy.

Huge concern, I think. I've read where is velocity was dropping, but still has command of his pitches. Even if he takes a step back, though, he's still a good #3 and Philly has quality starters along with him.

As a Braves fan, the obvious comparable that comes to mind is Greg Maddux. Maddux was incredible for years, but as age caught up with him, his velocity started to dip. He went from a 18-20 game winner with an ERA consistently under 3.00 to a 8-10 win pitcher with an ERA consistently above 4.00. Still a quality major league starter, but not the horse you are going to ride for 162 games.

ngineer
March 13th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Roy is a smart pitcher, and high 80's with good location can still get the job done. I think he's recognizing that with his approach to Cole Hamels the other week and telling him that he is now "the Man". It will be interesting to see how Halladay adapts. Still, it's March and I can see some velocity coming back in a month.

PaladinFan
March 18th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Braves and Phillies put on a pitching clinic this afternoon in a tight 17-10 Braves win. Not sure if it was bad pitching, or just good offensive day, but somehow Chris Medlen gave up 9 earned runs and still won.

Not sure if I've ever seen a player hit a ball anywhere remotely close to where Justin Upton put this offering from Rodrigo Lopez. http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?cid=mlb

Anything traveling that far needs to serve a meal.

DSUrocks07
March 18th, 2013, 05:01 PM
http://cdn.mlbmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/321383_547526008593083_65580981_n.jpg
http://cdn.mlbmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/45524_151245758362476_1418276670_n.png
http://cdn.mlbmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/528020_507176299328546_1690642434_n.jpg
http://cdn.mlbmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/542601_161738753979843_284705629_n.png

PaladinFan
March 18th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Ouch. At least you still have Giancarlo Stanton.

There was an article earlier this year that actually talked how brilliant Loria was from a business perspective. Folks hate him because he destroys these teams, but from a investment side, some of his moves are truly impressive.

ngineer
March 18th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Ouch. At least you still have Giancarlo Stanton.

There was an article earlier this year that actually talked how brilliant Loria was from a business perspective. Folks hate him because he destroys these teams, but from a investment side, some of his moves are truly impressive.

The Mitt Romney of baseball?!

seantaylor
March 19th, 2013, 03:12 AM
Medlen is the guy that is going to drop like a rock this year. Never understood why everyone got so high on him. He was an average middle reliever for a couple of years before having a monster third of a season.

PaladinFan
March 19th, 2013, 08:06 AM
Medlen is the guy that is going to drop like a rock this year. Never understood why everyone got so high on him. He was an average middle reliever for a couple of years before having a monster third of a season.

Completely disagree. Medlen was as freakish as any pitcher in the history of the game last season for three months. He was as unhittable as anyone in 20 years.

No one expects a repeat of that performance. Everyone expects him to regress, but he will still be an above average to good major league starter. I've watched him for four or five years now, and he doesn't show signs of this being a flash in the pan. He's had sustained success, and reminds me a great deal of watching Maddux - lacks overpowering stuff, but can put it on a dime with great movement. He's in any rotation in the MLB without question.

Just a look at the numbers, Medlens career to this point pretty comparable to Stephen Strasburgs (who know one expects to regress). People are so high on him because he's been nothing but really good since he showed up in the majors.

PaladinFan
March 19th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Interesting note: read this morning that Philly held Cliff Lee out of the game yesterday against Atlanta because the Phillies intend to throw him in the opening series. Instead, he got in work against minor leagues in the Pittsburgh system.

Not sure if it is more valuable to go out in spring and face a lineup like Atlanta's, or whether it is better to hold the cards and deal against a much less formidable group of minor leaguers. You'd think as often as the Braves have seen Lee, and as often as they play the Phillies, that you'd be more likely to get the quality work in in the spring and worry about the season when it gets here. It isn't as though Atlanta doesn't have a scouting report on him or has never seen him pitch.

seantaylor
March 20th, 2013, 01:13 AM
Completely disagree. Medlen was as freakish as any pitcher in the history of the game last season for three months. He was as unhittable as anyone in 20 years.

No one expects a repeat of that performance. Everyone expects him to regress, but he will still be an above average to good major league starter. I've watched him for four or five years now, and he doesn't show signs of this being a flash in the pan. He's had sustained success, and reminds me a great deal of watching Maddux - lacks overpowering stuff, but can put it on a dime with great movement. He's in any rotation in the MLB without question.

Just a look at the numbers, Medlens career to this point pretty comparable to Stephen Strasburgs (who know one expects to regress). People are so high on him because he's been nothing but really good since he showed up in the majors.

When did he have prolonged success besides a third of the season last year when no one had a book on him as a starter?

PaladinFan
March 20th, 2013, 07:12 AM
When did he have prolonged success besides a third of the season last year when no one had a book on him as a starter?

Nonsense. Medlen started 14 games in 2010, which was 3 fewer starts than Strasburg had in his first two seasons in the majors. He has 315 major league innings, over 60 more innings than Straburg. It is beyond reason to suggest that a Major League team didn't have a scouting report on a player who was a starting pitcher over half of two out of the past three seasons. I mean, he had an ERA under 3.00 in his minor league career, and has an ERA under 3.00 in the majors. It's not a fluke. The guy is a good pitcher.

The only season Medlen was a primary relief pitcher was his rookie year in 2009. Besides, to suggest that teams were just caught with their pants down because of him moving to the starting rotation ignores his accomplishments. There is no question that players, particularly pitchers, can ride success based on novelty. Still, Medlen doesn't do anything quirky or bizzare (a la Dontrelle Willis, Hideo Nomo, Diasuke Matsuzaka), and he completely baffled hitters for half the season. Not just baffled them, they could barely get the bat on the ball. At the major league level, when you can fool hitters that good that often for that long, it goes beyond an incomplete scouting report.

Do I think he will reach that level again? No. Do I think he is a solid #2 or #3 major league starter? Yes.

seantaylor
March 21st, 2013, 03:54 AM
Nonsense. Medlen started 14 games in 2010, which was 3 fewer starts than Strasburg had in his first two seasons in the majors. He has 315 major league innings, over 60 more innings than Straburg. It is beyond reason to suggest that a Major League team didn't have a scouting report on a player who was a starting pitcher over half of two out of the past three seasons. I mean, he had an ERA under 3.00 in his minor league career, and has an ERA under 3.00 in the majors. It's not a fluke. The guy is a good pitcher.

The only season Medlen was a primary relief pitcher was his rookie year in 2009. Besides, to suggest that teams were just caught with their pants down because of him moving to the starting rotation ignores his accomplishments. There is no question that players, particularly pitchers, can ride success based on novelty. Still, Medlen doesn't do anything quirky or bizzare (a la Dontrelle Willis, Hideo Nomo, Diasuke Matsuzaka), and he completely baffled hitters for half the season. Not just baffled them, they could barely get the bat on the ball. At the major league level, when you can fool hitters that good that often for that long, it goes beyond an incomplete scouting report.

Do I think he will reach that level again? No. Do I think he is a solid #2 or #3 major league starter? Yes.

Never said that, but even to mention Strasburgs name with Medlen is a little odd. Strasburg's changeup is as hard as Medlen's fastball. All I was saying, is he has no shot at that ERA and production over a entire season.

PaladinFan
March 22nd, 2013, 07:13 PM
Never said that, but even to mention Strasburgs name with Medlen is a little odd. Strasburg's changeup is as hard as Medlen's fastball. All I was saying, is he has no shot at that ERA and production over a entire season.

He doesn't. Still, if he sits somewhere around a 3.50 ERA for the season, that's all Atlanta needs of him.

Medlen sits in the low 90s consistently. Not blow it by you stuff, but that is plenty hard enough when you have a changeup as good as his is.

It's all relative though. The hall of fame is full of small framed pitchers with finesse pitches.

PaladinFan
March 23rd, 2013, 09:45 AM
Rosters starting to get whittled down, any interesting battles out there?

Atlanta's third base competition between Chris Johnson and Juan Francisco has been something to watch. Both guys have torn the cover off the ball this spring. Neither has a deep body of work as a major league starter, but because one is left handed and the other is right handed, I imagine you'll see a platoon at third at least to start the season.

Another interesting decision for Atlanta is catcher Evan Gattis. He's a guy with an interesting background that was out of baseball for a couple of years. He's got incredible raw power and tore up the Venezuelan winter leagues this year, and has carried that spring (homered twice against Philly yesterday). He's not a great defensive catcher, and Atlanta has tried him at a couple of positions just to get his bat in the lineup. He has not hit above the AA level, though, so there is some question as to whether he can handle major league pitching. If he continues to hit like he has been over this spring as teams whittle down their rosters, I imagine he'll make the 25 man.

In any event, this is a Braves team constructed like I have not seen in a long long time (probably since the early 2000s). It's looking like the Braves will have an incredibly powerful lineup this year, and have a good bit of thunder on the bench as well.

PaladinFan
March 27th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Evan Gattis aka El Oso Blanco has been informed he will make the Atlanta Braves opening day roster. Hard guy not to cheer for. From Texas A&M, to rehab, to JuCo, to pizza parlors, ski lift operator, janitor, national park employee, to major league baseball player.

seantaylor
March 28th, 2013, 02:43 AM
A healthy Ryan Zimmerman is going to be a real boost to the Nats this season. He will put up some very big numbers this season.

PaladinFan
March 29th, 2013, 02:09 PM
ESPN proffers their take on the NL East (http://espn.go.com/mlb/preview13/story/_/id/9044280/previewing-national-league-east-teams)

I disagree with their predictions in that I think the Marlins will finish ahead of the Mets, particularly after news that Johan Santana may be out significant time with injury.

Most pundits seem to think the Nats are the favorites, the Braves a half step behind, and the Phillies will be contenders but are not quite to the level of the other two. I tend agree with that.

ngineer
March 31st, 2013, 09:11 PM
After last season's trip to the infirmary, the Phils are a bunch of questions marks mostly related to health. Howard, Utley, Halladay all had major physical issues, and still they finished .500. I agree that based on last year's performance and question marks such as Domonic Brown, Michael Young, and how good Ruiz will be upon his return, that third in the division is a reasonable prediction. But I will not be shocked if the Fightin's are in the hunt for the division title in late September. The thing about baseball is the length of the season and the number of games. Should be an interesting year with a three-way battle.

PaladinFan
April 1st, 2013, 07:40 AM
After last season's trip to the infirmary, the Phils are a bunch of questions marks mostly related to health. Howard, Utley, Halladay all had major physical issues, and still they finished .500. I agree that based on last year's performance and question marks such as Domonic Brown, Michael Young, and how good Ruiz will be upon his return, that third in the division is a reasonable prediction. But I will not be shocked if the Fightin's are in the hunt for the division title in late September. The thing about baseball is the length of the season and the number of games. Should be an interesting year with a three-way battle.

I agree with that. I think health is the the one thing that can derail just about any team. Not many teams can sustain a substantial amount of injuries to their stars and not take a hit.

I think the Phillies will be competitive, but it would not surprise me to see them middle of the pack in the NL. I think their business model (a la Yankees), has been to surround their cornerstone pieces with as much talent as possible in the hopes that the core team would win a couple of championships. They did this by robbing Peter to pay Paul. They are hoping those three pieces that broke in together in the mid 2000s will continue to carry the team. Whether they will is the big question.

Most interesting to me, I suppose, is what happens if the Phillies are 8-10 games out in mid July. I fully believe they can catch fire like they did last season and make it interesting, but I also think (and I'm sure their front office is well aware), that there are two other teams in the division that are significantly younger and just as (if not more) talented. The "old age" jokes are amusing, but the reality is the Phillies have to get younger and infuse their farm system with talent. They can make that call this season, or during the offseason, but at some point it has to happen for them to stay viable.

PaladinFan
April 1st, 2013, 10:58 AM
Phillies/Braves tonight at 7:10 for opening day.

Cole Hamels goes against Tim Hudson. Hamels generally has great success against Atlanta, but I am interested to see how different his approach is with the changes in the Atlanta lineup. The Braves were for many years heavy on left handed hitters with little power from the right side (only Uggla, and he's struggled). Now Atlanta has added right handed power both in the lineup (Uptons) and on the bench (Johnson and Gattis). Looking forward to seeing how different Hamels and Lee will approach this lineup than those they've faced in past years.

DSUrocks07
April 1st, 2013, 06:38 PM
Marlins loss count: 1

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

seantaylor
April 2nd, 2013, 03:10 AM
Bryce Harper may be the best player in baseball before he can legally purchase a beer.

PaladinFan
April 2nd, 2013, 05:09 AM
Braves get to Hamels early and land the first punch. Appeared to have trouble locating his fastball, and was touched for three long home runs.

I honestly believe that Freddie Freeman may be the breakout player in baseball this season. Also good to see Utley have a good game. Swing looks good.

TTUEagles
April 2nd, 2013, 07:57 AM
It seemed from the unusually biased Braves TV staff and the crowd/atmosphere that the Braves blew the Phillies out last night. But, thanks to a brilliant Luis Avilan pitch in relief of Hudson, they escaped some major damage. That game was much closer than some people may think...I'm not counting the Phillies out with a healthy Utley and Howard.
And, yes, B. Harper is damn good ... scary good for his age.

PaladinFan
April 2nd, 2013, 07:54 PM
It seemed from the unusually biased Braves TV staff and the crowd/atmosphere that the Braves blew the Phillies out last night. But, thanks to a brilliant Luis Avilan pitch in relief of Hudson, they escaped some major damage. That game was much closer than some people may think...I'm not counting the Phillies out with a healthy Utley and Howard.
And, yes, B. Harper is damn good ... scary good for his age.

Phillies didn't give up, that's for certain. You'll take 7 runs with Hamels on the mound, though.

Two encouraging points is that Atlanta can run out a lefty in the fifth inning to strike out a good lefthanded slugger in a key spot. Also encouraging that the Kimbrel blew right through the 3-4-5 hitters. Walden was a little erratic, and made it interesting, but once he found his pitches he looked pretty stout.

ASU_Fanatic
April 2nd, 2013, 10:14 PM
Braves

This team is gonna be insanely fun to watch with the offense. Crazy how quickly things changed, I remember back in 2010 and 2011 we won games solely on pitching normally and now it's gonna be the offense that carries us.

PaladinFan
April 3rd, 2013, 06:06 AM
Braves

This team is gonna be insanely fun to watch with the offense. Crazy how quickly things changed, I remember back in 2010 and 2011 we won games solely on pitching normally and now it's gonna be the offense that carries us.

First glance reminds me a bit of the 2003 team - Javy Lopez, Gary Sheffield, Marcus Giles, Andruw Jones, Vinny Castilla, etc. Not sure you are going to see much "manufacturing" of runs. Get guys on and pop a three run homer.

Perhaps the only guy without significant power on in the lineup is Andrelton Simmons. Even then, he probably had the hardest hit ball against Cole Hamels Monday night - a screaming line drive right into the wall. Braves commentators first started saying Brown misplayed it, and then realized he didn't have any time to react to it.

LeadBolt
April 3rd, 2013, 06:27 AM
First glance reminds me a bit of the 2003 team - Javy Lopez, Gary Sheffield, Marcus Giles, Andruw Jones, Vinny Castilla, etc. Not sure you are going to see much "manufacturing" of runs. Get guys on and pop a three run homer.

Perhaps the only guy without significant power on in the lineup is Andrelton Simmons. Even then, he probably had the hardest hit ball against Cole Hamels Monday night - a screaming line drive right into the wall. Braves commentators first started saying Brown misplayed it, and then realized he didn't have any time to react to it.

The Braves appear to be a team built to Earl Weaver specs.

TTUEagles
April 3rd, 2013, 09:19 AM
Easy Braves fans...it's only 1 game. They may get no-hit by Halladay tonight. For all of the 'pop' in the lineup, still a high strike-out team and some times you need to be able to manufacture runs...I'm excited and optimitic, too, but have fallen into this trap before. With all of the ability to hit a homerun with any bat in the lineup now, I like the chances better in a 3-2 or 4-3 game vs 9-8. Lots of great pitchers in the NL East. I still think getting a couple of guys flirting with .300 all year is more important to me.

seantaylor
April 4th, 2013, 02:02 AM
Nats start out with back to back shutouts. Going for the sweep with JZ on the hill.

PaladinFan
April 4th, 2013, 04:23 AM
Easy Braves fans...it's only 1 game. They may get no-hit by Halladay tonight. For all of the 'pop' in the lineup, still a high strike-out team and some times you need to be able to manufacture runs...I'm excited and optimitic, too, but have fallen into this trap before. With all of the ability to hit a homerun with any bat in the lineup now, I like the chances better in a 3-2 or 4-3 game vs 9-8. Lots of great pitchers in the NL East. I still think getting a couple of guys flirting with .300 all year is more important to me.

I'm not worried at this point. Last night the Braves scored 9 runs after striking out 16 times. They coupled those strikeouts with 9 walks and three homeruns.

I'd love to see everyone hit .300 too. Still, don't forget about those walk numbers. Dan Uggla, for instance, was atrocious last year average-wise, but he also led the NL in walks. I was surprised to see the numbers, but Uggla had the same on base percentage as Michael Bourn (who was an all star leadoff hitter). Uggla didn't get a lot of hits, but he was on base as often as just about anyone on the team.

DSUrocks07
April 4th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Marlins loss count: 2

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

DSUrocks07
April 4th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Swept by the Nationals. Marlins start 0-3 with one run scored.

At a 2:1 ratio, over/under runs scored to total losses (loss 100 games, score 200 runs). Takers?

seantaylor
April 5th, 2013, 01:21 AM
Nats look real good out of the gate. Hit the ball hard all weekend. A bunch of home runs were kept in the yard due to the weather. Rotation looks filthy, and Bryce Harper's skill set is so much higher than anyone else in baseball. He's really starting to put it all together. Looking forward to seeing Haren tomorrow.

PaladinFan
April 5th, 2013, 06:48 AM
Lee looked good last night. Bizzare weather in Atlanta for April with temps in the 30s and cold rain.

seantaylor
April 6th, 2013, 01:27 AM
That was an embarrassing game. Need to bounce back behind Detwiler.

PaladinFan
April 6th, 2013, 07:42 AM
That was an embarrassing game. Need to bounce back behind Detwiler.

Box score indicates Haren and Duke were tagged pretty well. Haren was a risk signing, with the hope that he bounced back to his former form. Not sure whether he's back or not, but everyone's entitled to have a bad game. Particularly against a team as good as the Reds.

Duke's performance may be more concerning. Washington's biggest team weakness is they have mediocre swingman as their only left handed reliever.

LeadBolt
April 6th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Wow! What a finish by the Braves to come back from a 5-1 deficit to win 6-5 in the 9th with solo HR's by both of the Upton's. Jason Upton is the first player in Braves history to hit 5 HR's in his first 5 games as a Brave.

seantaylor
April 7th, 2013, 03:09 AM
Great job by the Nats. Detwiler is onions. Davey Johnson's weakness is not trusting the best staff in baseball to do their job. Wilson Ramos being healthy takes the Nats to the next level. Easily one of the best young catchers in baseball. The scraps we pieced together last year were pretty awful.

PaladinFan
April 7th, 2013, 07:47 AM
Wow! What a finish by the Braves to come back from a 5-1 deficit to win 6-5 in the 9th with solo HR's by both of the Upton's. Jason Upton is the first player in Braves history to hit 5 HR's in his first 5 games as a Brave.

Holy Schnikes. This team is going to be fun to watch.

I'm sure there have been hitters that have started a season hotter than Justin Upton, but I don't remember them.

LeadBolt
April 7th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Braves sweep Cubs with a 5-1 victory today. Start off-season 5-1. Freddie Freeman to 15 day DL with a strained oblique. Off to Miami

TTUEagles
April 7th, 2013, 08:24 PM
So much for Justin Upton. 0-4 today against the freakin' Cubs! ATL is paying this dude to hit homeruns, not go 0-for-stinking-4!!! Bum

Yes, this is a joke
GO BRAVES!

seantaylor
April 8th, 2013, 02:12 AM
How long until Upton gets hit with the PED suspension? His body is starting to eerily resemble Bonds

PaladinFan
April 8th, 2013, 07:23 AM
How long until Upton gets hit with the PED suspension? His body is starting to eerily resemble Bonds

Nothing like your standard unsupported conjectures to get a Monday going.

For the record, Justin Upton is just as tall, and 25 pounds lighter than Bryce Harper. I would wager you don't think Harper is juiced, despite being significantly larger.

PaladinFan
April 8th, 2013, 07:31 AM
So much for Justin Upton. 0-4 today against the freakin' Cubs! ATL is paying this dude to hit homeruns, not go 0-for-stinking-4!!! Bum

Yes, this is a joke
GO BRAVES!

Already noticed a few things. The high strikeout numbers necessarily equates to high pitch counts. So, you see games like yesterday where a starter was dazzling for a few innings, but starts getting up over 100 pitches in the fifth or sixth inning.

Also, you already start seeing pitchers run up pitch counts by carefully pitching to the lineup. No real spots for a pitcher just to go out and start pumping fastballs. Have to work up, down, and on the corners, which also leads to higher pitch counts.

asumike83
April 8th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Nothing like your standard unsupported conjectures to get a Monday going.

For the record, Justin Upton is just as tall, and 25 pounds lighter than Bryce Harper. I would wager you don't think Harper is juiced, despite being significantly larger.

He's just trolling, Upton looks the same as he always has.

LeadBolt
April 8th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Braves beat Marlins 2-0. Run their record to 6-1.

PaladinFan
April 8th, 2013, 10:20 PM
Braves beat Marlins 2-0. Run their record to 6-1.

Justin Upton isn't just hitting homers. He is hitting frozen ropes. Sixth homer tonight, and these balls are leaving the yard in a hurry. This one tonight was something else (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2013_04_08_atlmlb_miamlb_1&mode=video).

Not many guys hit the ball that hard. That's like Gary Sheffield hard.

PaladinFan
April 8th, 2013, 10:29 PM
Rough start to the season for the Phillies. Halladay appears to have struggled again tonight.

bluehenbillk
April 9th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Halladay is most likely done.

PaladinFan
April 9th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Halladay is most likely done.

Reports indicated that his velocity was up, which is encouraging.

I'd be surprised if you don't see him on the DL in the next day or so with something vague like "arm fatigue." He needs the opportunity to work out some of these issues against AAA hitters. He's got neither velocity nor control at the moment, which makes him little more than a replacement starter.

PaladinFan
April 10th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Strong outing by Meds. Braves win 5th in a row.

Upton would have had home run #7 if the game was played in just about any other major league park other than Miami.

DSUrocks07
April 10th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Marlins loss count: 8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZjtnlkGg_w

:pumpuke:

ngineer
April 10th, 2013, 11:24 PM
Reports indicated that his velocity was up, which is encouraging.

I'd be surprised if you don't see him on the DL in the next day or so with something vague like "arm fatigue." He needs the opportunity to work out some of these issues against AAA hitters. He's got neither velocity nor control at the moment, which makes him little more than a replacement starter.

Don't jump ship too soon. Doc is working on reinventing himself and velocity is not the real issue, but control of his cutter. Yes, he's not in the mid-90's anymore, but being 88-92 is plenty so long as you can locate. Look at how Barry Zito has reinvented himself of late. He was written off three years ago. Now he's a monster again, just no overpowering.
Phils bats breaking out with 6 HRS in two nights. This offense could do some serious damage when Delmon Young and Ruiz return.

seantaylor
April 11th, 2013, 01:42 AM
JZ pitched a gem tonight. Needed that effort after Gio only went 5 last night. Would be huge to get a sweep from a good team like the White Sox. Need Haren to show me something.

PaladinFan
April 11th, 2013, 06:50 AM
Braves sweep their second series in a row. Marlins are not world beaters, but its no small task to hold a major league lineup to 2 runs in three games.

Braves made a deal yesterday for relief pitcher Luis Ayala from Baltimore. Solid middle relief guy, probably due to less than stellar reports about Johnny Venters.

PaladinFan
April 11th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Don't jump ship too soon. Doc is working on reinventing himself and velocity is not the real issue, but control of his cutter. Yes, he's not in the mid-90's anymore, but being 88-92 is plenty so long as you can locate. Look at how Barry Zito has reinvented himself of late. He was written off three years ago. Now he's a monster again, just no overpowering.
Phils bats breaking out with 6 HRS in two nights. This offense could do some serious damage when Delmon Young and Ruiz return.

There is certainly no need to jump ship. It is extremely early. I do think there are causes for concern, because I am of the opinion that the Phillies need Halladay for 13-15 wins to make the playoffs. I come to that conclusion really less because of Halladay, and more because you just cannot get excited about Kyle Kendrick and John Lannan (his performances against Atlanta notwithstanding).

At the end of the day, the Phillies' lineup is not as deep as it was four years ago. That's fine, because Amaro has staked his career (and the Phillies farm system) on this "four (now three) aces" idea where you can have a couple of big bats, one great relief pitcher, and a dominant rotation. If that rotation isn't so dominant, well then they are probably just a league average team.

The Barry Zito comparison is interesting. Still, Zito went through his struggles at 28 or 29 years old. Halladay is already 35. Even in his prime, though, Zito was not of the quality of Roy Halladay. The Giants gave him an inexcusable contract, but really needed him only to be a decent #3 starter behind Lincecum and Cain.

There's danger, I think, in reading too much into the early season. Halladay is not as bad as he's looked. Justin Upton cannot sustain the pace he's on. Jason Heyward will not hit 0.078 all season. The concern for the Phillies is more broad strokes in that they need Halladay to go to the post every fifth day. They don't need him to be a cy young, but they need him to be a lot better than he has been.

LeadBolt
April 11th, 2013, 08:55 AM
It should be an interesting series in Washington this weekend. Early season bragging rights on the line.

PaladinFan
April 11th, 2013, 09:11 AM
It should be an interesting series in Washington this weekend. Early season bragging rights on the line.

These two teams will be tooth and toenail all season.

Looks like Teheran/Detwiler, Hudson/Strasburg, and Maholm/Gonzalez. Over under for runs scored during the series might be 15.

LeadBolt
April 11th, 2013, 11:08 AM
These two teams will be tooth and toenail all season.

Looks like Teheran/Detwiler, Hudson/Strasburg, and Maholm/Gonzalez. Over under for runs scored during the series might be 15.

Agreed on the fact that this will be a tooth and nail situation all year. Chances are it will be decided by an injury to a key player or some sort of minor occurrence that gives one team an advantage.

It will be interesting to see how the run production is this weekend. Both teams pitch, play defense and hit well. I wish Freddie Freeman was with the team, but understand the rationale for putting him on the DL. Hope everyone else is 100%. Go Braves!

DSUrocks07
April 11th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Braves sweep their second series in a row. Marlins are not world beaters, but its no small task to hold a major league lineup to 2 runs in three games.

Braves made a deal yesterday for relief pitcher Luis Ayala from Baltimore. Solid middle relief guy, probably due to less than stellar reports about Johnny Venters.

I challenge that statement...

DSUrocks07
April 11th, 2013, 11:15 AM
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18karpxegn40djpg/k-bigpic.jpg

http://deadspin.com/photos-marlins-park-is-satisfyingly-empty-472406862

http://twitter.com/MarcHochman/status/322132330737201152

asumike83
April 11th, 2013, 11:40 AM
I challenge that statement...

Me too. That Miami line-up is just atrocious. Walk Stanton and feed everyone else strikes, about all you have to do. Freeman went on the DL, Upton and Heyward each got off nights in the series and despite not firing on all cylinders, the Braves swept the series without a real challenge. The Marlins could be historically bad this season, I'd be shocked if they lost less than 100 and wouldn't be surprised if it was closer to 110.

The weekend series with Washington will tell us a lot more about Atlanta. Time to Teheran to step up and earn his keep on Friday or it could be a long day. The Saturday-Sunday pitching match-ups should be excellent.

DSUrocks07
April 11th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Me too. That Miami line-up is just atrocious. Walk Stanton and feed everyone else strikes, about all you have to do. Freeman went on the DL, Upton and Heyward each got off nights in the series and despite not firing on all cylinders, the Braves swept the series without a real challenge. The Marlins could be historically bad this season, I'd be shocked if they lost less than 100 and wouldn't be surprised if it was closer to 110.

The weekend series with Washington will tell us a lot more about Atlanta. Time to Teheran to step up and earn his keep on Friday or it could be a long day. The Saturday-Sunday pitching match-ups should be excellent.

Our biggest weapon is a power hitter with ZERO protection in the lineup. xnonono2x

Thank you, Jeffery Loria

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/pulp/loria%20lo%20viste.jpg

PaladinFan
April 11th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Agreed on the fact that this will be a tooth and nail situation all year. Chances are it will be decided by an injury to a key player or some sort of minor occurrence that gives one team an advantage.

It will be interesting to see how the run production is this weekend. Both teams pitch, play defense and hit well. I wish Freddie Freeman was with the team, but understand the rationale for putting him on the DL. Hope everyone else is 100%. Go Braves!

I understand Freeman's frustration, but that oblique injury is no joke. That has prematurely ended very promising careers. That's the same injury that led to the downfall of Mark Wholers, and the same injury that constantly kept Chipper Jones on the shelf several seasons.

It may come down to the injuries, but I feel really good about the Braves' depth. I think they'll be there for the long haul. There's a quality backup at every position. Heck, at catcher, even the backup's backup (Gattis) is better than what many other MLB teams run out there.

PaladinFan
April 11th, 2013, 01:06 PM

I, too, am anxious to see how Teheran fares against a good lineup like Washington's.

I anticipate Atlanta will have to make a roster move today to make room for Luis Ayala. I really wouldn't be surprised to see Atlanta keep an extra pitcher and give up a hitter (not many teams, if any, carry 13 pitchers). I believe the odd man out might be Anthony Varvaro, who I believe is out of options.

seantaylor
April 12th, 2013, 02:16 AM
The Nats held the Marlins to one run earlier in the season on a wind-aided home run. That lineup is historically terrible. Nats going to bully the Braves this weekend.

PaladinFan
April 12th, 2013, 07:29 AM
The Nats held the Marlins to one run earlier in the season on a wind-aided home run. That lineup is historically terrible. Nats going to bully the Braves this weekend.

Not a lot to read into an early season series, but I'm interested to see how the games go. I'm particularly interested in tonight's game against Detwiler. If the Braves can match up with Washington's fifth starter, I think the National's pitching advantage won't be as big as many thought in the preseason.

Frankly, Dan Haren has gotten hit hard twice this season. He was hit hard in spring training (this is the longest home run I've ever seen at the Braves ST complex http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=25798679&c_id=atl). He was a risky signing, and to this point, hasn't really even looked replacement level.

LeadBolt
April 12th, 2013, 08:06 AM

We'll just have to wait and see.

asumike83
April 12th, 2013, 09:36 PM
I don't remember Zimmerman throwing granny-style before this year, why the switch in mechanics? Weak arm for a third baseman and it cost them tonight.

Clutch hitting late for the Bravos, that makes 5 straight against the Nats.

Go Braves!

PaladinFan
April 12th, 2013, 11:08 PM
Good win for Atlanta. Gritty comeback pitching by Teheran, and great work out of the pen to shut Washington out for 8 innings. Nats got great work from Detweiler, but just a terrible performance by the pen.

Hard not to like Ramiro Pena. Reminds me a good deal of Martin Prado when he broke in.

DSUrocks07
April 12th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Marlins loss count: 9

http://espn.go.com/photo/2012/1114/mlb_u_jeffery-loria_mb_600.jpg

PaladinFan
April 12th, 2013, 11:22 PM
I don't remember Zimmerman throwing granny-style before this year, why the switch in mechanics? Weak arm for a third baseman and it cost them tonight.

Clutch hitting late for the Bravos, that makes 5 straight against the Nats.

Go Braves!

Zimmerman has a great glove, but some injuries early in his career altered his throwing mechanics. He has developed a funky delivery, and its not uncommon for his throws to be errant. Its happened on and off through his career, and I think it is part physical, part mental. You are correct, his arm strength is not nearly what it was early in his career. Helps he's got a good firstbaseman who saved him an error at least once tonight.

Mechanics aside, the game-costing error was just a plain old dumb play. Probably cost Washington the game. If Zimmerman eats that ball Washington may hold on to win. Not every day you see an infield grounder with the bases loaded were there simply is no play to any bag, but that is what that was. Just no where to go with the baseball.

seantaylor
April 13th, 2013, 12:10 AM
Zimm developed that arm slot last year when he played hurt all season and refused to get surgery, opting instead for cortizone shots. I think now it is just about breaking the habit. He should have ate the ball, but can't fault him for trying to win the game. Clippard was really bad tonight, and that is on Davey Johnson. Never should have took Detwiler out. He was dominating, and his pitch count wasn't all that high.

asumike83
April 13th, 2013, 06:49 AM
Detwiler seems to get the short end of the stick in the bullpen collapses a lot, reminds me of Matt Cain early in his career. He always seemed to end the season with an ERA around 3 and a less than stellar W-L record.

Too bad about Zimmerman, looks like the injuries have taken a toll. Wonder if a position change has been considered? May be an issue of nowhere else to put him and wanting to keep his bat in the lineup but it seems to be a liability to have a third baseman with such limitations on his throwing. However, on that particular play, I don't think a perfect throw gets an out.

PaladinFan
April 13th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Detwiler seems to get the short end of the stick in the bullpen collapses a lot, reminds me of Matt Cain early in his career. He always seemed to end the season with an ERA around 3 and a less than stellar W-L record.

Too bad about Zimmerman, looks like the injuries have taken a toll. Wonder if a position change has been considered? May be an issue of nowhere else to put him and wanting to keep his bat in the lineup but it seems to be a liability to have a third baseman with such limitations on his throwing. However, on that particular play, I don't think a perfect throw gets an out.

I went back on the replay. Jason Heyward was already on second base as the ball skipped to second. Even a perfect throw doesn't get an out. He's lucky Espinosa didn't suffer an injury trying to hold the bag against Heyward.

PaladinFan
April 13th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Zimm developed that arm slot last year when he played hurt all season and refused to get surgery, opting instead for cortizone shots. I think now it is just about breaking the habit. He should have ate the ball, but can't fault him for trying to win the game. Clippard was really bad tonight, and that is on Davey Johnson. Never should have took Detwiler out. He was dominating, and his pitch count wasn't all that high.

I agree. At the end of the day, though, the Nationals have to have confidence those guys can go out and get it done. I wonder if Clippard isn't starting to show the effects of overuse. I assume the Nationals have other relievers, but I rarely see them.

Detweiler was pitching fine, but he was heading through the lineup a third time having used his fastball almost exclusively. It's only a matter of time before a good lineup starts timing that pitch. Besides, in April, when guys are still stretching out, you take a three run lead and hand it to your bullpen with the expectation they can close the deal.

asumike83
April 13th, 2013, 08:25 AM
I went back on the replay. Jason Heyward was already on second base as the ball skipped to second. Even a perfect throw doesn't get an out. He's lucky Espinosa didn't suffer an injury trying to hold the bag against Heyward.

Yeah, Heyward was already popping up from his slide when the ball arrived. No play there. Never saw a shot of the first base line though. If he had the confidence to make the long throw, I wonder if he had a shot at Upton?

He runs well, so it probably would have been best to eat it but can't blame him for wanting to end the game. A good throw, even if it were too late, still gives them a chance to win.

PaladinFan
April 13th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Zounds. Evan Gattis homers off Strasburg on a fastball at his chin.

There really aren't that many guys in the bigs that can even get a bat on that pitch, must less park it.

asumike83
April 13th, 2013, 04:01 PM
Nice series win for the Braves, a sweep would be excellent. Considering McCann/Freeman are on the DL and there has been next to no production from B.J. Upton (.105), Heyward (.086) or Uggla (.189), sitting at 10-1 is a pretty impressive feat.

TTUEagles
April 13th, 2013, 07:36 PM
All of this time, I thought it was Stephen Strasburg! Who is "L Strasburg?"???
;)

PaladinFan
April 14th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Nice series win for the Braves, a sweep would be excellent. Considering McCann/Freeman are on the DL and there has been next to no production from B.J. Upton (.105), Heyward (.086) or Uggla (.189), sitting at 10-1 is a pretty impressive feat.

The pitching has been something else. By my count, Washington has managed just six hits and one run in the last 17 innings.

PaladinFan
April 14th, 2013, 08:58 AM
All of this time, I thought it was Stephen Strasburg! Who is "L Strasburg?"???
;)

I think the Fox announcers yesterday got a bonus check everytime they could use "Strasburg" or "Harper" in a sentence. Yes, Strasburg was a big story three years ago. We get it.

DSUrocks07
April 14th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Marlins loss count: 10

I Bleed Purple
April 14th, 2013, 03:22 PM

Man...I hope the Braves get bullied all season long.

PaladinFan
April 14th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Man...I hope the Braves get bullied all season long.

Really pushed around hard, they were.

Atlanta's pitching was overwhelming. The Nats have a good lineup, and they managed only four or five hard hit balls in three games.

Didn't realize this, but Atlanta's pen has not allowed a single inherited runner to score this season. That's incredible.

LeadBolt
April 14th, 2013, 06:14 PM

Not so much. With 150 games to go it's too early to get too excited, but it's darn hard not too!

PaladinFan
April 14th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Not so much. With 150 games to go it's too early to get too excited, but it's darn hard not too!

No kidding. It's early, but a win in April counts as much as a win in September.

ngineer
April 14th, 2013, 07:57 PM
The Good Doc got back in the groove today. 8 innings and only 87 pitches. Yes, it was the Marlins, but had he struggled against them, then there certainly would have been some heightened concerns. His next outing against the Cards will be a very good measuring stick. It was also Halladay's 200th win.

PaladinFan
April 14th, 2013, 09:16 PM
The Good Doc got back in the groove today. 8 innings and only 87 pitches. Yes, it was the Marlins, but had he struggled against them, then there certainly would have been some heightened concerns. His next outing against the Cards will be a very good measuring stick. It was also Halladay's 200th win.

Take em how you get em. If its a mental thing with Halladay, then every confidence builder helps.

PaladinFan
April 15th, 2013, 07:03 AM
I cannot get over this homer hit by Gattis against Strasburg (http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=26243215&c_id=mlb). Prior to that, I would have thought the odds of hitting that pitch were virtually nil, much less putting it over the wall.

PaladinFan
April 15th, 2013, 07:37 AM
I know, triple post, but Dave Schoenfield has a good article up this morning (http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/34836/weekend-wrap-braves-do-it-right-way).

Draws some comparisons between the Nationals and Braves. Notably, both clubs are built for the long haul and will be good 2013 and beyond. Both teams are constructed differently as Washington benefited from one high draft pick after another. Washington further benefited from having the #1 pick in both the years Strasburg and Harper were in the pool, widely considered to be two of the top draft picks as a pitcher and hitter in the past 20 years.

I've always taken the position that the Atlanta Braves and the New England Patriots are the two best run franchises in American sports. It simply takes an incredible organization to not only be good in the past, but be good now, and have a bright future. Right now, the Braves have the major league's youngest roster (even younger than Houston). They'll be around a while.

bluehenbillk
April 15th, 2013, 08:43 AM
The Braves look to certainly be the class of the division so far.

PaladinFan
April 15th, 2013, 10:01 AM
The Braves look to certainly be the class of the division so far.

As much as I'd like to think so, the Braves will not play .998 baseball the rest of the season. They will cool off eventually.

seantaylor
April 16th, 2013, 02:57 AM
Braves won't win the East. Fools gold. A fat janitor isn't going to hit once a book gets out on him. Scrubs like Maholm and Minor will be rocked soon.

I Bleed Purple
April 16th, 2013, 03:13 AM
And by then Beachy will be back, Heyward and BJ Upton will not be hitting .100, so the Braves should keep even.

Sam I Am
April 16th, 2013, 04:11 AM
Braves won't win the East. Fools gold. A fat janitor isn't going to hit once a book gets out on him. Scrubs like Maholm and Minor will be rocked soon.

Nats going to bully the Braves this weekend.

http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-sweep.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/tWRjh.gif

PaladinFan
April 16th, 2013, 05:48 AM

What book? Where can you possibly go to get out a guy that can park 96 mph at his chest? That pitch is supposed to be unhittable. If his bat is fast enough to hit that pitch 400 feet, its fast enough to hit any pitch anyone can throw anywhere they throw it.

You calling Minor and Maholm scrubs is fine, but it ignores the obvious. They have been just about the two most dominant pitchers in baseball since the 2012 all star break.

PaladinFan
April 16th, 2013, 06:57 AM
And by then Beachy will be back, Heyward and BJ Upton will not be hitting .100, so the Braves should keep even.

Hard to watch that series and come away thinking Washington looked the stronger team.

asumike83
April 16th, 2013, 09:06 AM

This guy.

Gattis is a back-up. McCann, Freeman and Venters will be back. Beachy will also be back to join the rotation, likely sending the only pitcher the Nats scored more than 1 run against to the bullpen or AAA.

The Braves were without their regular 4-5 hitters, set-up man and a top 3 starter. Long, long season and the NL East is wide open but the Nats got swept at home by the Braves bench players.

PaladinFan
April 16th, 2013, 09:27 AM
This guy.

Gattis is a back-up. McCann, Freeman and Venters will be back. Beachy will also be back to join the rotation, likely sending the only pitcher the Nats scored more than 1 run against to the bullpen or AAA.

The Braves were without their regular 4-5 hitters, set-up man and a top 3 starter. Long, long season and the NL East is wide open but the Nats got swept at home by the Braves bench players.

Teheran was arguably the best starter this spring. He's still only 22. I'm not convinced we will see Venters this season. The absence of Freeman right now is most notable. He is probably Atlanta's best hitter.

In any event, if this guy is a "fat janitor" (http://www.gannett-cdn.com/media/USATODAY/USATODAY/2013/02/22/2013-02-22-evan-gattis-4_3_r536_c534.jpg?1b79b3da202957124496e3768cfb7b67 cdb10c81), then I want a team full of fat janitors.

asumike83
April 16th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Teheran was arguably the best starter this spring. He's still only 22. I'm not convinced we will see Venters this season. The absence of Freeman right now is most notable. He is probably Atlanta's best hitter.

In any event, if this guy is a "fat janitor" (http://www.gannett-cdn.com/media/USATODAY/USATODAY/2013/02/22/2013-02-22-evan-gattis-4_3_r536_c534.jpg?1b79b3da202957124496e3768cfb7b67 cdb10c81), then I want a team full of fat janitors.

Teheran has been dominant in the minors for a few years and he had a great spring but he still has not proven he can do it consistently at the big-league level. Very young kid and he definitely has all the tools but I think Fredi would have to go with the proven guys. When Beachy comes back, he'd have to be the odd man out unless they plan to send Beachy to the bullpen, which I don't see happening.

Hopefully, we see Venters this season but fortunately, the bullpen is deep enough to still be one of the best in baseball even without him.

Agreed on Gattis, he has been impressive. Even when McCann returns, I think Gattis will get some spot starts at 1B/C along with pinch-hitting duties. Too good a bat to not use him.

PaladinFan
April 16th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Teheran has been dominant in the minors for a few years and he had a great spring but he still has not proven he can do it consistently at the big-league level. Very young kid and he definitely has all the tools but I think Fredi would have to go with the proven guys. When Beachy comes back, he'd have to be the odd man out unless they plan to send Beachy to the bullpen, which I don't see happening.

Hopefully, we see Venters this season but fortunately, the bullpen is deep enough to still be one of the best in baseball even without him.

Agreed on Gattis, he has been impressive. Even when McCann returns, I think Gattis will get some spot starts at 1B/C along with pinch-hitting duties. Too good a bat to not use him.

True enough. Teheran was pretty electric in the minors, though you can make an argument he regressed last year. My personal opinion is that he suffered the same hitch in development that most young players do, except that Atlanta let him sort it out in AAA instead of against Major League hitters. Once he settled down Friday, he mowed right through the lineup.

The trade for Ayala, I think, indicates that Venters may not be close to returning. The Braves are stacked on the back end, though, as Walden and O'Flaherty would be legitimate closers on most other clubs. Avilan, whose little known, might be the nastiest of all of them.

How the Braves handle the Gattis/McCann situation will be really interesting to follow. McCann is in a walk year, and would have undoubtedly great value on the open market. I can also see them shopping Gattis, who unless he learns third base, has really no where else to play. The good news for the Braves is that Gattis is not even the best catching prospect in the organization, so he could be expendable.

PaladinFan
April 16th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Braves win their tenth straight. 8 hits - 5 solo homers.

Atlanta is the first team in 10 years to start 12-1 or better. They are just the 5th team in the past 30 years to do it.

Still doing it with pitching. Medlen was brilliant tonight.

One other note, the Braves hit three 9th inning homers off Kelvin Herrera, one "tough hombre." Prior to last night, Herrera had allowed only six hits all season with a 0.00 ERA For his career, he has surrendered only five home runs in in 91.2 career innings. Baseball is a funny game.

ngineer
April 16th, 2013, 11:44 PM
Phillies and Reds suspended in the 9th inning due to rain with the score 0-0!! To be resumed Wednesday at 5 p.m. ET.

PaladinFan
April 17th, 2013, 05:18 AM
How have we not talked about Ben Revere yet? (http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=26305439&c_id=mlb)

LeadBolt
April 17th, 2013, 05:26 AM
How have we not talked about Ben Revere yet? (http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=26305439&c_id=mlb)

I don't what to say other than WOW!

PaladinFan
April 17th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Whelp. Bound to happen sooner or later. Braves lose today to Kansas City 1-0 ending their ten game run.

Minor takes the hard luck loss, but lowers his ERA to 0.95. Braves aggressive on the paths late, and for the second straight game it took a long throw dead on the money to save a run. Perhaps this is the year KC is back in the postseason in a generally weak AL Central.

ngineer
April 17th, 2013, 10:23 PM

No question this kid can play the outfield. Must be in the Top 5 plays of the year 5 months from now. Only knock on his D is an average arm, otherwise he'd be the complete package.

seantaylor
April 18th, 2013, 03:40 AM
Ross Detwiler is an OG.

PaladinFan
April 18th, 2013, 06:59 AM
No question this kid can play the outfield. Must be in the Top 5 plays of the year 5 months from now. Only knock on his D is an average arm, otherwise he'd be the complete package.

I can live without the arm. Watched Francouer throw out a runner on an incredibly strong throw on Tuesday, reminding me how good he was defensively. Still doesn't make me forget his complete inability to take a walk or lay off pitches out of the zone.

PaladinFan
April 19th, 2013, 07:51 AM
The Braves' "fat janitor" still raking.

At some point, we may look back on the Upton trade as one of the most lopsided deals in the last 20 years. Prado is a great player, and the D'Backs got value in return, but sheesh.

bulldog10jw
April 19th, 2013, 08:01 AM
The Braves' "fat janitor" still raking.

At some point, we may look back on the Upton trade as one of the most lopsided deals in the last 20 years. Prado is a great player, and the D'Backs got value in return, but sheesh.

Give Upton time. He will end up playing way below his talent level.

bluehenbillk
April 19th, 2013, 08:18 AM
The Charlie Manuel Watch is in full force in Philly.

PaladinFan
April 19th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Give Upton time. He will end up playing way below his talent level.

Perhaps. You can make an argument that he was the subject of trade rumors for two years in Arizona and played with an injury last season. Healthy and in Atlanta might make a difference. It's a calculated risk, but I've seen nothing but short compact swings from this guy.

Don't forget Chris Johnson either. Arizona also managed to trade a guy who is currently leading the MLB in hitting.

bulldog10jw
April 19th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Perhaps. You can make an argument that he was the subject of trade rumors for two years in Arizona and played with an injury last season. Healthy and in Atlanta might make a difference. It's a calculated risk, but I've seen nothing but short compact swings from this guy.

Don't forget Chris Johnson either. Arizona also managed to trade a guy who is currently leading the MLB in hitting.

Get back to me in 3 years, not after only 3 weeks. And take into consideration all the pop flies Upton will turn into triples.

ngineer
April 19th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Doc Halladay back in the saddle tonight. Two-hitter through 7 innings. Game called on account of rain. Phils beat Cards, 8-2.

seantaylor
April 21st, 2013, 04:35 AM
Fat Janitor coming back down to earth

seantaylor
April 21st, 2013, 04:37 AM
Get back to me in 3 years, not after only 3 weeks. And take into consideration all the pop flies Upton will turn into triples.

Exactly. Funny to hear Braves fans talk about how good their outfield is. Saying it was the best in the majors. Laughable. Some thought best defensively. Both Uptons are horrible defensively. Braves fans turned a stereotype on its head.

This guy is a "baseball guy". Says every move the Braves have ever made was a slam dunk.

asumike83
April 21st, 2013, 07:51 AM
Exactly. Funny to hear Braves fans talk about how good their outfield is. Saying it was the best in the majors. Laughable. Some thought best defensively. Both Uptons are horrible defensively. Braves fans turned a stereotype on its head.

This guy is a "baseball guy". Says every move the Braves have ever made was a slam dunk.

Says the guy who called Dan Haren a "massive upgrade". He's a washed up #5. Laughable is you calling anyone a homer. Didn't you call Wilson Ramos the best catching prospect since Mauer and Espinosa the runaway Rookie of the Year?

PaladinFan
April 21st, 2013, 12:57 PM

I've never said every move the Braves made is a slam dunk.

The Braves dealt for Justin Upton. He's 25 years old. He finished in the top 4 of the MVP voting just two years ago. He has two seasons with WAR over 4.0. He had a down season last year (.280/.355/.430), but his numbers were comparable to Bryce Harper (.270/.340/.477). That is to say, he had a down season, but he by no means had a bad season. Without question, the guy can hit.

To say that the Uptons are terrible defensively just ignores the obvious. Justin Upton's has graded out about league average over his career in right field. Remember, that was in right, where you generally put your strongest defensive arms. This season, in left, he's graded out above league average. So no, he's not elite, but he is a long way from "terrible."

BJ Upton, too, has been above league average since coming into the league. No, he is not Michael Bourn. He is not Andruw Jones at the prime of his career. But he also plays next to arguably the best defensive rightfielder in baseball (Heyward). That gives Atlanta one elite defender and two good defenders. That too is a long way from terrible.

Look at it this way, Justin Upton has basically torn the cover off the ball the first three weeks of the season. They are paying Justin Upton four million less than the Nationals are paying Dan Haren to throw batting practice every five days. They are paying him less than they would pay Martin Prado to play left. Prado hit ten home runs all season in 2012, Upton has nine in April. So, while there is a gamble on whether he's more of the 2011 player, or more a 2012 player, he's still good value for a very good player entering the prime of his career.

seantaylor
April 22nd, 2013, 02:11 AM
I've never said every move the Braves made is a slam dunk.

The Braves dealt for Justin Upton. He's 25 years old. He finished in the top 4 of the MVP voting just two years ago. He has two seasons with WAR over 4.0. He had a down season last year (.280/.355/.430), but his numbers were comparable to Bryce Harper (.270/.340/.477). That is to say, he had a down season, but he by no means had a bad season. Without question, the guy can hit.

To say that the Uptons are terrible defensively just ignores the obvious. Justin Upton's has graded out about league average over his career in right field. Remember, that was in right, where you generally put your strongest defensive arms. This season, in left, he's graded out above league average. So no, he's not elite, but he is a long way from "terrible."

BJ Upton, too, has been above league average since coming into the league. No, he is not Michael Bourn. He is not Andruw Jones at the prime of his career. But he also plays next to arguably the best defensive rightfielder in baseball (Heyward). That gives Atlanta one elite defender and two good defenders. That too is a long way from terrible.

Look at it this way, Justin Upton has basically torn the cover off the ball the first three weeks of the season. They are paying Justin Upton four million less than the Nationals are paying Dan Haren to throw batting practice every five days. They are paying him less than they would pay Martin Prado to play left. Prado hit ten home runs all season in 2012, Upton has nine in April. So, while there is a gamble on whether he's more of the 2011 player, or more a 2012 player, he's still good value for a very good player entering the prime of his career.

Awful comparison. Bryce Harper at 19. But, I apologize. I wasn't talking about you as the "baseball guy". I was quoting a guy on Barkleys board that is the biggest Braves homer of all time. Called Tommy Hanson a better prospect than Strasburg, and said Jordan Schaffer would be the best center fielder in baseball in 3 years.

seantaylor
April 22nd, 2013, 02:12 AM
Says the guy who called Dan Haren a "massive upgrade". He's a washed up #5. Laughable is you calling anyone a homer. Didn't you call Wilson Ramos the best catching prospect since Mauer and Espinosa the runaway Rookie of the Year?

Haren is obviously injured. A healthy Haren is a massive upgrade. Jackson getting beat around the yard healthy this year.

PaladinFan
April 22nd, 2013, 04:14 AM
Awful comparison. Bryce Harper at 19. But, I apologize. I wasn't talking about you as the "baseball guy". I was quoting a guy on Barkleys board that is the biggest Braves homer of all time. Called Tommy Hanson a better prospect than Strasburg, and said Jordan Schaffer would be the best center fielder in baseball in 3 years.

The point is that, irrespective of age, that Upton's season was objectively not a terrible season. It did not meet people's expectations. I can use Harper, or I am sure I can make a comparison with any other number of players.

The person on Barkley's board, whomever that is, does not know what they are talking about. Hanson was a highly regarded pitching prospect after he was in the minors for four or five years and a mid to late round selection. I'm frankly happy the Braves dealt him away as his pitching mechanics have terrified me for years.

Schafer was widely considered the next great Braves outfielder when he was in the minors. He clearly is not that. I still think he will be a serviceable major leaguer, but there is no question he has not lived up to expectations.

PaladinFan
April 22nd, 2013, 04:19 AM
Haren is obviously injured. A healthy Haren is a massive upgrade. Jackson getting beat around the yard healthy this year.

I don't think that's an accurate statement. There's been no reports he's injured. The Dan Haren of a couple of years ago is an upgrade over Jackson. However, I'm not convinced the Nationals will ever see that pitcher in 2013.

seantaylor
April 22nd, 2013, 07:09 AM
I don't think that's an accurate statement. There's been no reports he's injured. The Dan Haren of a couple of years ago is an upgrade over Jackson. However, I'm not convinced the Nationals will ever see that pitcher in 2013.

Probably not, be he is still injured from last year when he was on the DL. Now, we will see if he admits it and goes on the DL.

PaladinFan
April 22nd, 2013, 07:51 AM
Probably not, be he is still injured from last year when he was on the DL. Now, we will see if he admits it and goes on the DL.

Who replaces him? My cursory glance at Washington's roster indicates only two starting pitchers/swingmen on the 40 man - Matt Purke and Zach Duke.

asumike83
April 22nd, 2013, 08:35 AM

He made 30 starts last season and was mediocre then as well. Past his prime by a few years, not worth anywhere near $13M.

PaladinFan
April 22nd, 2013, 09:52 AM
Rough weekend for the Bravos in Pittsburgh. Cold, windy, and a bunch of strikeouts. Not pretty.

Off to Colorado to pit the two best records in Baseball at snowy Coors. I have not a single answer for why MLB feels the need to send the Braves to Denver every April for their only trip of the season.

Good news for Atlanta is Freedie Feeman will be activated tonight. Could use a guy with a little more contact in there.

TTUEagles
April 22nd, 2013, 11:06 AM
Rough weekend for the Bravos in Pittsburgh. Cold, windy, and a bunch of strikeouts. Not pretty.

Off to Colorado to pit the two best records in Baseball at snowy Coors. I have not a single answer for why MLB feels the need to send the Braves to Denver every April for their only trip of the season.

Good news for Atlanta is Freedie Feeman will be activated tonight. Could use a guy with a little more contact in there.

The problem with Freeman is it's taking away at-bats for either Johson, Francisco, or Gattis - 3 guys that ATL has who are actually hitting. Getting production out of BJ, Simmons, Uggla and Heyward is the key here. I'm personally starting to grow tired of waiting on Heyward. He's not played that great defensively, either, or at least he;s been inconsistent - took some bad angles on a couple of fly balls the past 4-5 games. With his tremendous defensive play, I can live without Simmons hitting that much, but Uggla has been in a "slump" for years now, and despited the propensity to draw walks, he needs to get it going...

PaladinFan
April 22nd, 2013, 11:56 AM
The problem with Freeman is it's taking away at-bats for either Johson, Francisco, or Gattis - 3 guys that ATL has who are actually hitting. Getting production out of BJ, Simmons, Uggla and Heyward is the key here. I'm personally starting to grow tired of waiting on Heyward. He's not played that great defensively, either, or at least he;s been inconsistent - took some bad angles on a couple of fly balls the past 4-5 games. With his tremendous defensive play, I can live without Simmons hitting that much, but Uggla has been in a "slump" for years now, and despited the propensity to draw walks, he needs to get it going...

Call me crazy, but I'd hit Uggla leadoff. He does not drive in a lot of runs, but he led the league in walks last year with an OBP equal to that of Michael Bourn. He's top 15 this season in pitches seen per at bat. He's not a great contact guy at this point, so I'd just as soon stick him at the top where at least he can keep getting on base.

I'm not worried at all about Heyward. He's hit the ball well, just not finding space out there. I'm certainly not worried about the defense, particularly given the rough game conditions the past couple of days.

Freeman absolutely needs to take at bats from Francisco. Freeman is arguably the best hitter on the team, and I believe will establish himself this season as a premier firstbaseman. Francisco is a valuable power bench bat who really does not hit left handed pitching at all, makes no contact, and really does not seem to care about trying to make contact. His production is unsustainable as a starter. Johnson, I think, has much better upside as starter. Neither is really in Freeman's category, though.

asumike83
April 22nd, 2013, 12:14 PM
If I'm Fredi, here's how I fill out the line-up card:

1) Simmons SS
2) B.J. Upton CF
3) Freeman 1B
4) J. Upton LF
5) Heyward RF
6) Gattis C
7) Johnson 3B
8) Uggla 2B

Good speed at the top, a guy who can get on base in the 8-hole and the righties and lefties mixed up nicely in the middle.

TTUEagles
April 22nd, 2013, 12:38 PM
Chris Johnson has quickly become one of my favorites - again, what a steal that trade was with the D'backs! Obviously, "We" Braves fans are only judging that based on first 18-19 game of the season, but so far, it's been a trade-landslide in favor of the Braves.

PaladinFan
April 22nd, 2013, 04:39 PM
Chris Johnson has quickly become one of my favorites - again, what a steal that trade was with the D'backs! Obviously, "We" Braves fans are only judging that based on first 18-19 game of the season, but so far, it's been a trade-landslide in favor of the Braves.

Johnson's got a nice swing, but he'll cool off. He's a career .282 hitter, which is not terrible, but it certainly is a long way from the .407 he's hitting now. He was certainly a nice addition, though, and has been a pleasant surprise to this point.

No kidding, I had a dream before that deal that the Braves would trade Prado for Upton. The D'backs got a nice haul of players, but all of those prospects were replaceable in the system or blocked by a current major leaguers.

ngineer
April 22nd, 2013, 11:46 PM
Phillies called up rookie Pettibone to take place of injured Lannan tonight and he put on a very good performance. 6K's in 5 1/3 innings. Left up 2 solor HRs. Phils end up beating Pirates, 3-2 with Bastardo, Adams and Pappelbon holding down the 7th, 8th and 9th, just the way it's suppose to happen. Ruiz due back this weekend!

seantaylor
April 23rd, 2013, 01:24 AM
Who replaces him? My cursory glance at Washington's roster indicates only two starting pitchers/swingmen on the 40 man - Matt Purke and Zach Duke.

Neither. We have Chris Young down in AAA. Guy for some reason always shut us down in the past. Another name that is rising fast is Danny Rosenbaum. I, personally, would go with Craig Stammen out of the pen. Guy has been a starter before, and has been lights out.

PaladinFan
April 23rd, 2013, 07:52 AM
Jason Heyward has an emergency appendectomy yesterday in Denver. Appears to be healing well, but will head to the 15 day DL.

Interesting to see what the Braves do. They were going to have to make a roster move with Freeman coming off the DL, as they are currently carrying 13 pitchers. With back to back series in Denver and Detroit, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Braves keep an extra pitcher.

bluehenbillk
April 23rd, 2013, 07:53 AM
Phillies called up rookie Pettibone to take place of injured Lannan tonight and he put on a very good performance. 6K's in 5 1/3 innings. Left up 2 solor HRs. Phils end up beating Pirates, 3-2 with Bastardo, Adams and Pappelbon holding down the 7th, 8th and 9th, just the way it's suppose to happen. Ruiz due back this weekend!

And Biddle threw a 7-inning, 1-hit, 15 or 16K gem in Reading last night. Maybe we'll have a young ace of our own on the Harvey/Strasburg level.

PaladinFan
April 23rd, 2013, 05:04 PM
Braves take the first of two today against Colorado. Upton knocks out his tenth (ties a Braves record in April I believe held by Andres Gallaragga). Uggla and Gattis also went yard.

seantaylor
April 24th, 2013, 01:30 AM
Nats in a major rut right now. Need to make a move.

PaladinFan
April 24th, 2013, 04:13 AM
Braves win the nightcap as well. Justin Upton sets the Braves April record with his 11th homer.

Stats indicate that the game 1 Tuesday was the coldest game played at Coors - 23 degrees.

PaladinFan
April 24th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Nats in a major rut right now. Need to make a move.

Not sure what move you would make. The Nats have arguably the strongest rotation in the big leagues. They have a viable MLB player at every position. Their bullpen depth is a bit of a concern, but that is not a recent development.

Frankly, the players they have simply are not producing. They are good players, but just not getting the job done. 5.0 games out with a 142 to play, though, is no time to panic.

asumike83
April 24th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Impressive double header sweep of a red-hot Rockies team on the road. Colorado was 8-1 at Coors Field coming into play yesterday. Hudson on the mound as the Braves go for the series sweep today.

PaladinFan
April 24th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Impressive double header sweep of a red-hot Rockies team on the road. Colorado was 8-1 at Coors Field coming into play yesterday. Hudson on the mound as the Braves go for the series sweep today.

I'm still not loving the inability to manufacture runs. Braves lead the majors in home runs, but are just about league average in hits. Relying only on putting the ball over the wall will win you games, but at some point, I'd like to see the Braves start stringing some singles together.

asumike83
April 24th, 2013, 01:35 PM
I'm still not loving the inability to manufacture runs. Braves lead the majors in home runs, but are just about league average in hits. Relying only on putting the ball over the wall will win you games, but at some point, I'd like to see the Braves start stringing some singles together.

Completely agree. Team needs Simmons, Heyward (when he returns) and B.J. to start making more consistent contact. Relying on the long ball is fun to watch but very dangerous, especially in a playoff series.

blueballs
April 24th, 2013, 02:54 PM

Since this is a FCS message board, some of you may remember Ben Revere's older brother J.R., who was the starting QB for the 2000 FCS/1-AA national champions.

blueballs
April 24th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Going back to the All Star Break in 2012 the Braves are 62-33 (.653). You can't expect them to play .750 ball the rest of the way but 95 games is enough sample size to conclude that this is a 95-100 win team if they stay reasonably healthy.

seantaylor
April 25th, 2013, 02:05 AM
Not sure what move you would make. The Nats have arguably the strongest rotation in the big leagues. They have a viable MLB player at every position. Their bullpen depth is a bit of a concern, but that is not a recent development.

Frankly, the players they have simply are not producing. They are good players, but just not getting the job done. 5.0 games out with a 142 to play, though, is no time to panic.

A move in the lineup. I think the Nats have the best bench in baseball. Lombo and Moore would be starting on a bunch of teams. Sit Espinosa down for awhile. Laroche as well.

PaladinFan
April 25th, 2013, 06:02 AM
Well. It was bound to happen. For the first time since August 31, 2012, a team managed to score a run against Craig Kimbrel.

Tough luck no decision for Hudson, who was on the cusp of his 200th MLB win.

PaladinFan
April 25th, 2013, 06:14 AM
A move in the lineup. I think the Nats have the best bench in baseball. Lombo and Moore would be starting on a bunch of teams. Sit Espinosa down for awhile. Laroche as well.

Not sure how you come to that conclusion.

The only player I'd trade for off Washington's bench is Lombardozzi. Even then, most NL teams already have a gritty middle infielder/utility type hitter already on roster.

Every other player is pretty much a one tool corner infield/outfield type or Roger Bernadina (who is hitless this season), one tool outfielder. Those guys are a dime a dozen.

seantaylor
April 26th, 2013, 12:44 AM
If you think Tyler Moore is a dime a dozen, that is nuts. Led all levels of minors for two years in homers. Rendon is a part of the bench as well, and he is the next superstar National. Suzuki easily best back up catcher in baseball

PaladinFan
April 26th, 2013, 06:40 AM
If you think Tyler Moore is a dime a dozen, that is nuts. Led all levels of minors for two years in homers. Rendon is a part of the bench as well, and he is the next superstar National. Suzuki easily best back up catcher in baseball

I realize Moore has power - that is his tool. He doesn't get on base enough to be an everyday player. His strikeout rate last season was nearly 30% (which is awful), and he's struck out in nearly half his appearances this year. I'm not saying he cannot play in the major leagues, but the fact that he is on the bench does not somehow give Washington an invincible bench. It gives them a corner infielder/outfielder that has a lot of power and little else - every team has about 10 of those guys in the minors.

Rendon is a prospect, and at this point, only a place holder. He goes back down when Zimmerman returns. Suzuki's a good ball player.

The moral of the story is Washington does not have clearly the best bench in baseball. Even if it's a good bench, such an argument is completely objective. Look at Atlanta. I don't contend Atlanta's bench is the best, but the Braves lead Washington by 4.5 games and average more runs per game than the Nationals. Subjectively, that would indicate that right now Atlanta's 12 hitters are more successful than Washington's 12 hitters.

That doesn't even take into account that guys like Evan Gattis, Chris Johnson, Juan Francisco, and Reed Johnson have been pressed into everyday service due to injury. You could make an argument that Atlanta's bench is pretty darn good because they have the best record in baseball and have not even put their full team on the field once this season.

seantaylor
April 27th, 2013, 12:53 AM
Back to back 1 hitters thrown against the best offensive team in baseball. Our starting pitching starting to really dig in now. Jordan Zimmermann is one of the 7 best pitchers in baseball, and an ace on 85 percent of other teams.

Gil Dobie
April 27th, 2013, 08:49 AM
When was the last time someone struck out 17 Braves?

PaladinFan
April 27th, 2013, 02:15 PM
When was the last time someone struck out 17 Braves?

It's been a while. The past few years a couple of guys have gotten into the mid-teens against them. Surprised it was Sanchez, who the Braves have pretty much owned for years.

This Atlanta team is going to pile up a bunch of strikeouts. It is, unquestionably, the offenses greatest weakness and the biggest void left with the departures of Chipper and Prado (both of whom were masters at wearing pitchers out). Unfortunately, there will be days like this, I think.

ngineer
April 27th, 2013, 08:00 PM
The 'Big Piece' is starting to warm up. Big HR yesterday and several RBI's today v. Mutts. Chooch (Ruiz) rejoins the team tomorrow. Kendrick 3-hitter was shot in arm with bullpen struggling..

PaladinFan
April 27th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Didn't realize this looking at the schedule early on, but the Braves might have the most brutal go of any team. six games at home to start the season, and then 16 of 18 on the road the next three weeks. oof.

blueballs
April 28th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Didn't realize this looking at the schedule early on, but the Braves might have the most brutal go of any team. six games at home to start the season, and then 16 of 18 on the road the next three weeks. oof.

16 out of the last 18 on the road, and the 2 game stopover in ATL is like another stop on a 3.5 week oddessy... Brutal indeed.

PaladinFan
April 28th, 2013, 08:55 PM
16 out of the last 18 on the road, and the 2 game stopover in ATL is like another stop on a 3.5 week oddessy... Brutal indeed.

good news is it'll all balance out eventually.

Even with Atlanta scuffling a bit, with that schedule I would have been happy with an April around .500.

PaladinFan
April 30th, 2013, 07:02 AM
Good win. Braves did the little things they needed to to take that game.

Really a biazzare game, though. Braves had the leadoff man on in six of the first seven innings, but couldn't plate a big inning. Nationals had ten hits through five frames and scored only two. Couple runners picked off. Rare strikeout/2-6 double play. Simmons threw a runner out at first while sitting on the ground. Firstbase ump missed calls against both teams. Not every day type stuff.

Nova09
April 30th, 2013, 08:24 AM
the mets continue to be the mets. that is all.

blueballs
April 30th, 2013, 08:24 AM
The Braves bullpen out performed the nats bullpen yet again and was the difference yet again. This has become somewhat of a pattern with these two teams and has got to be worrisome for the Nats.

PaladinFan
April 30th, 2013, 12:55 PM
The Braves bullpen out performed the nats bullpen yet again and was the difference yet again. This has become somewhat of a pattern with these two teams and has got to be worrisome for the Nats.

That'll be the case for the Braves against just about everyone. I mean, Atlanta brought in a former all-star closer yesterday in the sixth inning. They then followed him with EOF, who would close for maybe all but two or three teams in the majors. Then follow him with Kimbrel, who is the most dominant relief pitcher in the game - and its not even close.

After Walden came into the game, the Nationals did not get another man on base the rest of the game, and hit only one ball out of the infield. Hard to do much with that.

seantaylor
May 1st, 2013, 05:52 AM
Nats are struggling do to Davey Johnson. Espinosa and Laroche both should have been benched weeks ago. We miss Zim badly. Hopefully he gets back this week and ignites this team

PaladinFan
May 1st, 2013, 06:33 AM
Nats are struggling do to Davey Johnson. Espinosa and Laroche both should have been benched weeks ago. We miss Zim badly. Hopefully he gets back this week and ignites this team

The Nationals are struggling because they are not playing good baseball. Johnson didn't throw batting practice to Atlanta last night, or get picked off the basepaths Monday night, or put the leadoff man on base nearly every inning.

The numbers tell the tale. The Nationals aren't hitting, their pitching is average, and they are bad defensively. Biggest concern, for me, is the starting pitching. The Nats are built somewhat like the Phillies were last season - good starters, good back end, mediocre middle relief. If those starters continue to be unable to get out of the fifth or sixth innings, they'll struggle to win ball games.

Nova09
May 1st, 2013, 08:29 AM
the mets continue to be the mets. is there a way to set this to automatically make that post every morning for eternity?

PaladinFan
May 1st, 2013, 08:32 AM
Hudson notched his 200th win last night, went yard, and knocked a double off the wall.

Dave Schoenfield makes a case that Hudson is building a Hall of Fame resume. At 37, he'll never reach 300 wins and has never been the top pitcher in the league. Still, if he pitches, say, two or three more years and gets 230ish wins, finishes his career top 10 all time in winning percentage, I think he's got a good shot.

Most people put Roy Halladay in the HOF conversation, and though a couple of years younger, Halladay has 1 more win and 2 fewer losses than Hudson for a career. Granted, Halladay played on some mediocre BlueJays teams in the tough AL East during the PED era, but it's a useful comparison.

PaladinFan
May 1st, 2013, 08:34 AM
the mets continue to be the mets. is there a way to set this to automatically make that post every morning for eternity?

Went back and looked at Mets recent history. It appears their last good season was the year they collapsed in September. It feels like they have been "rebuilding" ever since then.

I do like some of their young pitching talent. I realize they were hurt by the Madoff scandal, but they have also been badly burned on a lot of their major acquisitions. I guess now the goal is to build a team around David Wright and their young pitchers.

asumike83
May 1st, 2013, 08:57 AM
Great outing from Huddy, Freeman and Simmons seem to be getting their groove back and McCann is on pace to return next week. Things are looking up in Atlanta and if Uggla/B.J. can ever get it going, the Braves will be a very dangerous team.

Lots of holes on the Nats roster right now. They need to get healthy and hope Espinosa and LaRoche can get it together. LaRoche has always been a slow starter but this is very bad, even for him. Espinosa should improve as well but he is a career .235 hitter, so the ceiling may not be that high in terms of average but they need him to provide some pop. That $100M contract they gave Werth is looking worse by the day.

blueballs
May 1st, 2013, 11:26 AM
The Nats schedule in May is going to be very road heavy... the Braves schedule in May not so much, AND McCann and Heyward will be back soon as well as Brandon Beachy.

As much as any game on the first of May can be a must win, tonight's game is exactly that for the Nats. They could be down 10+ games in the standings in the blink of an eye.

PaladinFan
May 1st, 2013, 02:36 PM
The Nats schedule in May is going to be very road heavy... the Braves schedule in May not so much, AND McCann and Heyward will be back soon as well as Brandon Beachy.

As much as any game on the first of May can be a must win, tonight's game is exactly that for the Nats. They could be down 10+ games in the standings in the blink of an eye.

True enough. Atlanta does have a ten game west coast road swing after this homeset. That's two slogging out-of-division long road trips back to back. Granted, it will even out eventually. Goal is to rack up wins when you can, because you know the slump will eventually come.

No game at this stage is a must win, but I do think the Nats probably could use a little confidence boost. Quite different from the past few years when Atlanta struggled with Washington (even when they were poor). I think last night was nine in a row now for the Braves over the Nationals. I do think that begins to wear on your psyche a bit.

I mean, if you think about it, these two teams play 19 times. These two series will conclude over 1/3 of the games these teams will play one another. That could be big come playoff time.

ngineer
May 1st, 2013, 10:14 PM
Hudson notched his 200th win last night, went yard, and knocked a double off the wall.

Dave Schoenfield makes a case that Hudson is building a Hall of Fame resume. At 37, he'll never reach 300 wins and has never been the top pitcher in the league. Still, if he pitches, say, two or three more years and gets 230ish wins, finishes his career top 10 all time in winning percentage, I think he's got a good shot.

Most people put Roy Halladay in the HOF conversation, and though a couple of years younger, Halladay has 1 more win and 2 fewer losses than Hudson for a career. Granted, Halladay played on some mediocre BlueJays teams in the tough AL East during the PED era, but it's a useful comparison.

Agreed. There is a differenct standard now with SP's . Used to be 300 wins or darn near close to it was required; but now, with the way bullpens are used it will be a very rare day when any current or future pitcher reaches 300 wins.

seantaylor
May 2nd, 2013, 05:27 AM
Jordan Zimmermann is the best pitcher in baseball. Ole man Lerner going to back up the Brinks truck

PaladinFan
May 2nd, 2013, 06:09 AM
Jordan Zimmermann is the best pitcher in baseball. Ole man Lerner going to back up the Brinks truck

Maholm was good, Zimmerman was better. Have to tip your cap when you make one mistake all game, and your opponent doesn't make one.

Interested to see if Dan Haren has anything tonight. Harper leaving the game after pulling something on a check swing is a huge concern for Washington. Those oblique strains can sideline a player for months.

asumike83
May 2nd, 2013, 08:50 PM
Tough loss tonight, Braves bats have really gone cold. Hate splitting a 4-game home series after winning the first 2 against a team they should beat easily with Haren on the mound.

seantaylor
May 3rd, 2013, 02:24 AM
Haren has pitched well his last 3 starts. Ryan Zimmerman back in the lineup today. Going to jump start this team.

seantaylor
May 4th, 2013, 11:35 PM
Big win tonight. Need Gio to pitch like he's capable of and take win this 7 game road swing.

ngineer
May 5th, 2013, 10:55 PM
Halladay reports shoulder stiffness. Seeing Specialist in LA this week. 30 games into the season and two SP's down already. Will be interesting if Amaro brings up Cloyd from AAA Lehigh Valley or the hot new phenom at AA Reading, Jesse Biddle.

seantaylor
May 6th, 2013, 04:48 AM
Good road series win. We really miss Werth. Our leader and enforcer. Back Tuesday, and we will almost be at 100 percent.

PaladinFan
May 6th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Tough loss tonight, Braves bats have really gone cold. Hate splitting a 4-game home series after winning the first 2 against a team they should beat easily with Haren on the mound.

You're starting to see the offense put it together. Braves had a toughluck loss on Friday night, but are really starting to manufacture runs, and not just waiting around for the solo homer.

The offense is starting to get locked in. When guys start driving the ball hard the other way, their swing is really going good. I said this in the pre-season, but Freddie Freeman is going to turn a lot of heads this season.

McCann joins the Braves for the road trip. Hard to ask more from Evan Gattis, but it'll be nice to see the all-star back in the lineup again.

asumike83
May 6th, 2013, 10:48 AM
You're starting to see the offense put it together. Braves had a toughluck loss on Friday night, but are really starting to manufacture runs, and not just waiting around for the solo homer.

The offense is starting to get locked in. When guys start driving the ball hard the other way, their swing is really going good. I said this in the pre-season, but Freddie Freeman is going to turn a lot of heads this season.

McCann joins the Braves for the road trip. Hard to ask more from Evan Gattis, but it'll be nice to see the all-star back in the lineup again.

Very happy to see McCann back. Looks like Pastornicky will be sent down to make room. A little surprised to see them carry three catchers but Gattis has been great and Laird has been used to help Teheran along.

The Schafer/Johnson platoon in right is a luxury as well, which will allow Heyward to recover and not rush back.

PaladinFan
May 6th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Very happy to see McCann back. Looks like Pastornicky will be sent down to make room. A little surprised to see them carry three catchers but Gattis has been great and Laird has been used to help Teheran along.

The Schafer/Johnson platoon in right is a luxury as well, which will allow Heyward to recover and not rush back.

I don't recall the Braves ever carrying three catchers, but Ramiro Pena can play around the infield, Johnson can play both corners, and Gattis has worked in the outfield. The big question, I think, is who gets moved when Heyward returns (I think Schafer is out of options)

At the end of the day, Gattis is top 10 in the NL in homers and has the same or more RBI as Harper, Howard, and McCutcheon. It's a little odd to keep three catchers, but Gattis has been so good with the bat, there's really no reason to send him down.

asumike83
May 6th, 2013, 12:34 PM
I don't recall the Braves ever carrying three catchers, but Ramiro Pena can play around the infield, Johnson can play both corners, and Gattis has worked in the outfield. The big question, I think, is who gets moved when Heyward returns (I think Schafer is out of options)

At the end of the day, Gattis is top 10 in the NL in homers and has the same or more RBI as Harper, Howard, and McCutcheon. It's a little odd to keep three catchers, but Gattis has been so good with the bat, there's really no reason to send him down.

I didn't think of it earlier but McCann has caught Teheran before so maybe Laird becomes expendable when Heyward returns? To me, it seems to make much more sense to keep versatile outfielders like Schafer and Johnson around than a third catcher.

PaladinFan
May 6th, 2013, 03:26 PM
I didn't think of it earlier but McCann has caught Teheran before so maybe Laird becomes expendable when Heyward returns? To me, it seems to make much more sense to keep versatile outfielders like Schafer and Johnson around than a third catcher.

Laird was signed to a major league deal to be the backup catcher. He's a legitimate major league catcher that has started on some prolific offenses (Texas and Detroit). You really cannot substitute having a veteran reserve that can hit. I can just about assure you that if one catcher gets sent to AAA, it will be Gattis.

I don't understand everything about baseball transactions, but my general understanding is that if you are signed to a major league deal, the only way you get sent to the minors is if the team designates you for assignment. That is, they either have to trade you, release you, or pass you through waivers and you then accept an assignment to the minors. All that is to say, that guys like Laird, Pena, and Reed Johnson are on major league deals. The only way they get moved is if the Braves are willing to have them play for another team.

Other guys, like Schafer and Varvaro, are out of options. MLB players are given three options to the minors (essentially, one per year) after which they have to pass through waivers to get sent down. That's how Atlanta reacquired Jordan Schafer. They cannot send either of those two down without exposing them to other teams.

Odds are, the two "odd men out" are Gattis and Juan Francisco. Really, though, teams can get creative with who stays and who goes. If the Braves were by the book, they'll have to determine whether Gattis' right handed bat or Francisco's lefthanded bat is more useful off the bench. In reality, they'll probably put someone on the DL and keep both.

seantaylor
May 7th, 2013, 02:42 AM

Please don't compare that janitor to Harper or McCutcheon.

PaladinFan
May 7th, 2013, 04:15 AM

Why not? I'm not saying he's as highly rated a player, but the reality is Gattis is among the league leaders in homers, RBI, doubles, and slugging. No, I wouldn't take him over the other two, but in the realm of "have you earned enough to keep your job," yeah, he has.

seantaylor
May 7th, 2013, 05:31 AM
Why not? I'm not saying he's as highly rated a player, but the reality is Gattis is among the league leaders in homers, RBI, doubles, and slugging. No, I wouldn't take him over the other two, but in the realm of "have you earned enough to keep your job," yeah, he has.

Now give me his BA, OBP, OBPS, WAR compared to the other two.

PaladinFan
May 7th, 2013, 06:50 AM
Now give me his BA, OBP, OBPS, WAR compared to the other two.

What is your point? Gattis has a higher BA, slugging, and OPS than McCutcheon. McCutcheon has a slightly (and by "slightly" I mean .04) higher OBP and slightly (.10) higher WAR. I'm not arguing that they are comparable players. McCutcheon is an elite NL centerfielder. Gattis is a backup catcher.

The point is that Gattis has earned his roster spot. He has put up numbers comparable to many of the elite players in the NL to this point in the season. That is not up for dispute. That is a fact.

Do I think he will sustain that level of production throughout an entire season? No. He's a backup at this point. He's never hit above AA until this season. Am I surprised? No. He has hammered every level of pitching he's seen since returning to baseball.

asumike83
May 7th, 2013, 01:41 PM

Says the guy who once compared Wilson Ramos to Joe Mauer.

PaladinFan
May 7th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Well, crap. Braves get down to their last strike and give up back to back homers.

Darn those bandbox stadiums. First homer would have fallen about 30 feet short at Turner Field.

Nova09
May 8th, 2013, 08:31 AM
the mets tried to continue to be the mets, but harvey wouldn't allow it

asumike83
May 8th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Well, crap. Braves get down to their last strike and give up back to back homers.

Darn those bandbox stadiums. First homer would have fallen about 30 feet short at Turner Field.

Pair of opposite field shots on knee-high, 97 MPH heat at the knees over the outside of the plate. The first was definitely a GABP home run but sometimes you just have to tip your cap.

PaladinFan
May 8th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Pair of opposite field shots on knee-high, 97 MPH heat at the knees over the outside of the plate. The first was definitely a GABP home run but sometimes you just have to tip your cap.

Yeah. Kimbrel got himself in a bind, though. Couple of bad pitches to the pinch hitter left him with a full count and one of the hottest hitters in the league on deck. The last thing a closer wants to do is walk the tying run in any park, much less a short porch. Everyone in the stadium knew Kimbrel was throwing the fastball, and hats off to the kid for driving it.

A bit worrisome that Kimbrel has blown as many saves in 2013 as he did over the entire 2012 season. For me, it does not look like his curveball is as sharp, and he's having a little trouble throwing it for strikes. Major league hitters can catch up to gas, but you have to have throw that secondary pitch for strikes.

seantaylor
May 9th, 2013, 12:31 AM
Jordan Zimmerman continues to dominate everyone

PaladinFan
May 9th, 2013, 05:52 AM

He's really the only Nationals pitcher I worry about. Detwiler is underrated, but the other three are good, but with a fair amount of hype.

AshevilleApp2
May 9th, 2013, 06:54 AM

He's a beast so far this year.

asumike83
May 9th, 2013, 09:06 AM
I think Mike Minor has turned the corner. He was the Braves' #1 pick in 2009 and he's really living up to the billing now. Had a strong second half last year and has carried that over.

Minor always had flashes of what he can do but now he is consistent. Only 1 start (against a very good Detroit team in bad weather) where he has given up more than 3 runs and his shortest outing of the year was 5.2 innings. Pitched at least into the 7th in 4 of his 7 starts, great strikeout to walk ratio (38:8), took his ERA down to 2.96 and WHIP to 0.90.

PaladinFan
May 9th, 2013, 02:49 PM
I think Mike Minor has turned the corner. He was the Braves' #1 pick in 2009 and he's really living up to the billing now. Had a strong second half last year and has carried that over.

Minor always had flashes of what he can do but now he is consistent. Only 1 start (against a very good Detroit team in bad weather) where he has given up more than 3 runs and his shortest outing of the year was 5.2 innings. Pitched at least into the 7th in 4 of his 7 starts, great strikeout to walk ratio (38:8), took his ERA down to 2.96 and WHIP to 0.90.

Completely agree. The Braves were high on Minor from the get go (actually shocking in retrospect how many players were selected before Mike Trout).

Even last year, you could see a clear intention in the front office to let Minor play through his struggles. In the last half of the season, he was pitching as well as just about anyone in the NL not named Medlen.

Gone are the days of Jorge Campillo and JoJo Reyes. The Braves rotation was supposed to be a question mark this season, and it is pretty clear a month and a half in that Atlanta might be entering another period of great pitching. Maybe not late 90s good, but they've got a lot of young talent.

PaladinFan
May 9th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Good article on just how good Andrelton Simmons is defensively at shortstop (http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/35676/andrelton-simmons-makes-all-the-plays)

Defensive metrics are a little squishy, but since 2012 Simmons has 30 "defensive runs saved." Only one other shortstop in baseball has more than that, and that is Brendan Ryan, widely considered one of the better defensive shortstops in baseball. Ryan has only one more run saved, in over twice as many innings as Simmons.

All that is to say, Simmons might be the best defensive shortstop since Ozzie Smith. The guy is a human highlight reel. I mean, how do you even begin to make this play? (http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=26906517&c_id=mlb)

seantaylor
May 10th, 2013, 01:02 AM
He's really the only Nationals pitcher I worry about. Detwiler is underrated, but the other three are good, but with a fair amount of hype.

Interesting. I don't worry about any of the Braves pitchers, but what can you do.

seantaylor
May 11th, 2013, 04:51 AM
Nats starting to really hit their stride. Looks like Werth will be back Sunday.

ngineer
May 12th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Phillies showing some resiliency with two tough wins to finish their western roadtrip, 4-3. Kendrick gives another splendid performance and is beginning to look like the real deal. Howard comes through today with two run single in 10th inning after going 0-17 in the series.

PaladinFan
May 13th, 2013, 04:27 AM
Braves hit a tough stretch out in San Fran (which is not terribly surprising).

Did notice that no team in the majors has played more road games this season than Atlanta. After the hot start out of the gates, you knew the lull would come. Backing up 16 of 18 on the road with a 10 game west coast swing is a good way to slow down a hot start.

Good news about baseball is they always make it up to you.

PaladinFan
May 13th, 2013, 07:13 AM
Phillies showing some resiliency with two tough wins to finish their western roadtrip, 4-3. Kendrick gives another splendid performance and is beginning to look like the real deal. Howard comes through today with two run single in 10th inning after going 0-17 in the series.

Phillies need Kendrick to shoulder the load. He's been little more than a swingman for a while, but with injuries on the staff and the Phillies having a relatively easy schedule to begin the year, they need him to pick up some wins.

PaladinFan
May 14th, 2013, 06:20 AM
Justin Upton collects four hits and a mammoth homerun in his return to Arizona. Also nice to see Prado have a good game for the D'backs. He was always a fan favorite in Atlanta.

asumike83
May 14th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Another great start from Mike Minor. On the season, he's now got a 5-2 record, 2.75 ERA, 0.97 WHIP, 42K:10BB. He is halfway to his first All-Star appearance if he keeps this up.

PaladinFan
May 14th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Another great start from Mike Minor. On the season, he's now got a 5-2 record, 2.75 ERA, 0.97 WHIP, 42K:10BB. He is halfway to his first All-Star appearance if he keeps this up.

Since the allstar break last season, Minor has been among the best pitchers in baseball. Not a lot of hype or press because, well, he plays in Atlanta.

Any time the WHIP number is below 1.00, you are dominating hitters. There are only 8 NL pitchers with a sub-1 WHIP. Three of those 8 pitch in the NL East.

bluehenbillk
May 15th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Wow, just wow. How are the Phillies just 3.5 games back?