PDA

View Full Version : SouthernPigskin Article On Samford Signing Class

SU DOG
February 11th, 2013, 02:18 PM
I know that all coaches are excited on signing day about their class, but this year at Samford, it seemed to go a step further. As the article says, our coaches are still just plain "giddy". They really believe they have some talent now that will eventually take us to or very near the top of the SoCon. I think we have gotten some immediate impact players especially when you also include our 2 FBS xfers and our 2 players who were granted a 6th year. Personally, since we have lots of talent returning from last year, I am somewhat giddy about our chances in the upcoming season. IF we can avoid injuries and have a little good luck, Samford could definitely be in the SoCon's top tier THIS season.

http://www.southernpigskin.com/SoCon/view/samford-giddy-over-latest-recruiting-class

asumike83
February 11th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Don't know much about the kids they signed but y'all had a damn good team last season. We were a Sean Price circus catch away from leaving Samford with an L.

Am I correct in thinking that Fabian Truss graduated? If so, those are some big shoes to fill but it sounds like you guys will return a lot and add some good, young talent.

SU DOG
February 11th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Don't know much about the kids they signed but y'all had a damn good team last season. We were a Sean Price circus catch away from leaving Samford with an L.

Am I correct in thinking that Fabian Truss graduated? If so, those are some big shoes to fill but it sounds like you guys will return a lot and add some good, young talent.

Thankfully you are INCORRECT on Fabian. He is BACK.

md64179
February 12th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Stamford should be a solid team again next year. I have been very impressed with them since they joined the socon

PaladinFan
February 12th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Glad the Bulldogs got a nice class. They have given us fits even in losing efforts. Watershed year, though. If the Dogs fail to make the playoffs with as much talent as they have returning, it might be time to start asking questions.

Probably the two most frustrating games I've seen Furman play the past two years have come against Samford. I do take some heart that the best Samford team in years took four quarters and a last minute field goal at home to beat the worst Furman team in years. :)

CID1990
February 12th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Samford has been frustrating to us as well.

Starting to look like the SoCon is going to be stout as hell this year. Too bad we can't send 4-5 to the playoffs, but you know, schools like Davidson (who cannot compete in the SoCon) need an opportunity to go. Harumph

Apphole
February 12th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Sammy always plays App State tough and it took a phenomenal play by Sean Price to keep them from upsetting us this year. I hope our team doesn't overlook them this season.

UAalum72
February 12th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Samford has been frustrating to us as well.

Starting to look like the SoCon is going to be stout as hell this year. Too bad we can't send 4-5 to the playoffs, but you know, schools like Davidson (who cannot compete in the SoCon) need an opportunity to go. Harumph
With the Pioneer League in a 24-team playoff, the SoCon has thirteen openings to send their five top teams to the playoffs.

Without the Pioneer (like in 2012), the SoCon would have only ten openings to send their five top teams to the playoffs.

No doubt you would prefer a more 'elite' playoff field of sixteen, where you'd have only eight at-large teams.

Did you ever pass a math class?

Saint3333
February 12th, 2013, 03:16 PM
I did, and 16 was enough to crown a champion.

Back to Samford, good looking class, always has solid lineman, a good RB, what has held them back is little better QB. Ironic, much like Spurrier and South Carolina.

blueballs
February 12th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Samford has improved every year under Sullivan and look to be tough in 2013.

I agree with Cid1990. The SoCon is going to be stout in 2013. GSU will be top 5 and App will be top 5-10 for sure, Wofford will still be very good- top 15 likely, Chatty in particular and Samford should both be playoff contenders and top 20, and Citadel should be tough as usual.

I can't see 5 getting in but I can sure see 4 getting in next year. Defending home field in the conference will be an even bigger deal than usual in 2013.