PDA

View Full Version : Ranking the SoCon recruiting classes

Apphole
February 7th, 2013, 09:54 AM
I'm not even going to post the southernpigskin article because we already have a thread devoted to bitching about that. Post your list, explain why if you'd like.

1. App State (whether or not you respect the star rating system, you really can't deny that the Mountaineers have the best overall recruiting class. Anthony Covington and Taylor Lamb would play at any school they attended. This is the best FCS recruiting class I have ever seen.)
2. Samford (VERY impressive class, especially for lil Sammy. Big boys up front as usual and a pretty star studded class. Nice work.)
3. Georgia Southern (I expected a little better from the stinky iggles in light of all the FBS hype, but not a bad class IMO. The 4 star DE you guys stole from a ton of SEC schools bumped you from 4 to 3 on mine.)
4. Furman (Solid defensive additions)
5. Nooga (Excellent DE pickup. Huesman seems to be a good recruiter.)
6. Wofford (Always tough to rate Wofford. Your success is a product of scheme rather than raw talent.)
7. Western (Speir is once again having a much tougher time attracting kids to Western than he ever had selling App State, but landed some decent recruits this year as well. You will be beating D-1 teams before you know it
8. Citadel (Picked up some good receivers, though I don't know why. Maybe the Cadets will throw the ball in a few years.)
9. Elon (Seems like a disappointing year of recruiting for Elon. No one really jumped off the page at me, but you never know.)

CID1990
February 7th, 2013, 10:01 AM
[QUOTE=Apphole;1937585]8. Citadel (Picked up some good receivers, though I don't know why. Maybe the Cadets will throw the ball in a few years.)[QUOTE]

I seem to remember us dropping bombs all over KBH this past season pretty much at will. We HAD to pass... give our 6 running backs a break, they were running out of O2.

Apphole
February 7th, 2013, 10:06 AM
I seem to remember us dropping bombs all over KBH this past season pretty much at will. We HAD to pass... give our 6 running backs a break, they were running out of O2.

You passed for 155 yards which is probably an all-time high. Not the sort of team that one would expect to heavily recruit several quality WRs. All I was saying was that perhaps your offensive mantra will change in the future.

CID1990
February 7th, 2013, 10:17 AM
You passed for 155 yards which is probably an all-time high. Not the sort of team that one would expect to heavily recruit several quality WRs. All I was saying was that perhaps your offensive mantra will change in the future.

Well, if we had a more consistent passing game this year we could well have been conference champions outright. Every game we lost could be chalked up to the opponent making us completely one dimensional.

So yeah, I'd say that for any option team it is always on the wish list to put in a real throwing threat. We do have the QB for it, so maybe there is method to Higgons' madness on this.

eaglewraith
February 7th, 2013, 10:18 AM
3. Georgia Southern (I expected a little better from the stinky iggles in light of all the FBS hype, but not a bad class IMO. The 4 star DE you guys stole from a ton of SEC schools bumped you from 4 to 3 on mine.)

xlmaox

Apphole
February 7th, 2013, 10:19 AM
xlmaox

You think you should be #2? Well explain why if you want anyone to agree with you.

fc97
February 7th, 2013, 10:20 AM
I'm not even going to post the southernpigskin article because we already have a thread devoted to bitching about that. Post your list, explain why if you'd like.

1. App State (whether or not you respect the star rating system, you really can't deny that the Mountaineers have the best overall recruiting class. Anthony Covington and Taylor Lamb would play at any school they attended. This is the best FCS recruiting class I have ever seen.)
2. Samford (VERY impressive class, especially for lil Sammy. Big boys up front as usual and a pretty star studded class. Nice work.)
6. Wofford (Always tough to rate Wofford. Your success is a product of scheme rather than raw talent.)
7. Western (Speir is once again having a much tougher time attracting kids to Western than he ever had selling App State, but landed some decent recruits this year as well. You will be beating D-1 teams before you know it
8. Citadel (Picked up some good receivers, though I don't know why. Maybe the Cadets will throw the ball in a few years.)
9. Elon (Seems like a disappointing year of recruiting for Elon. No one really jumped off the page at me, but you never know.)

i think its fair. app was lights out, on paper. samford had a good class. gsu was disappointing, with the hope scholarships, they should be able to out recruit the rest of us combined.

elon filled lineman needs and really got nothing noteworthy outside of a kicker. we're going to be in a rough spot next year without a start receiver and good qb. going to be a rough year for us. luckily, should be this staff's last year.

chattownmocs
February 7th, 2013, 10:22 AM

If the star rating system is what you are basing this on Chattanooga should be number 2.

Apphole
February 7th, 2013, 10:25 AM
If the star rating system is what you are basing this on Chattanooga should be number 2.

Its not. If it was Wofford would be 14.

chattownmocs
February 7th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Its not. If it was Wofford would be 14.

Georgia Southern didn't sign any 4 star player either.

eaglewraith
February 7th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Georgia Southern didn't sign any 4 star player either.

Who gives a **** about stars?

chattownmocs
February 7th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Who gives a **** about stars?

Y'all did last year when your class was littered with them.

SpeedkingATL
February 7th, 2013, 10:33 AM
If GaSo's recruited kicker can be halfway consistant on mid range fieldgoals they improved their team by leaps and bounds and could make him the most important recruit in this years class.

PaladinFan
February 7th, 2013, 10:36 AM
There's no ranking that is going to be close to useful.

We could probably come up with a pretty impressive list of players in the SoCon who were not highly recruited or were walkons. Some of those players were all time greats in the Southern Conference. Recruiting class rankings are interesting, but at the end of the day (1) did you get a good football player, and (2) did you get someone your coaches can develop.

Recruit rankings, in all honesty, should compare not only the talent of the player, but the talent of the coaching staff to develop that player. Give me a one star athlete on a team with a heckuva coaching staff over a three star on a poorly coached team every day of the week.

CID1990
February 7th, 2013, 10:37 AM

Well if you consider there to be a 4-way tie for number 2, then I guess you could call UTC in the top 2.

CB Eagle
February 7th, 2013, 10:39 AM
I'm super disappointed in the Eagles class, hope I am wrong.

Apphole
February 7th, 2013, 10:41 AM
There's no ranking that is going to be close to useful.

We could probably come up with a pretty impressive list of players in the SoCon who were not highly recruited or were walkons. Some of those players were all time greats in the Southern Conference. Recruiting class rankings are interesting, but at the end of the day (1) did you get a good football player, and (2) did you get someone your coaches can develop.

Recruit rankings, in all honesty, should compare not only the talent of the player, but the talent of the coaching staff to develop that player. Give me a one star athlete on a team with a heckuva coaching staff over a three star on a poorly coached team every day of the week.

Come on, man. It's the off season. I didn't make a list for any practical purpose other than fostering conversation. We have 7 agonizing months to get through, man. "Usefulness" is not the goal of this or most thread from January to September.

CID1990
February 7th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Come on, man. It's the off season. I didn't make a list for any practical purpose other than fostering conversation. We have 7 agonizing months to get through, man. "Usefulness" is not the goal of this or most thread from January to September.

This.

This is the worst part of the year; knowing it is months before football again.

The only rankings that matter are the ones that happen after the games are played.

ASUMountaineer
February 7th, 2013, 10:47 AM

Yeah, Monken is just like Lane Kiffin!

rbostic278
February 7th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Star ratings are important lets not fool ourselves. This years class was not as good as last years class as far as stars if you look at rivals it shows we only have 5 commits. If you look at scout it only shows we have 1 so if it depends on which site you choose to go with. Southern has had all of it's signees committed for several weeks because we don't have a rivals or scout guy to update it doesn't. I have been going to 247sports they seem to do a better job but not of late of updating all not just FBS commits. On this site it show we have three 3 stars and the others are two stars.

I think the staff did a great job in this class of reloading not just taking players just because. We need DBs,DTs,RBs,QB and a F*****g kicker. We got all of those. We had to battle with FBS teams on a few in the last week and all the way up until wed. This happens every year but I think we were able to hold on to them all. But App did still one OL.

ASUMountaineer
February 7th, 2013, 10:52 AM
This.

This is the worst part of the year; knowing it is months before football again.

The only rankings that matter are the ones that happen after the games are played.

Kind of. See, moral victories, also chattownmocs.

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 7th, 2013, 10:59 AM

What about our recruiting class disappointed you? We have about as many players with FBS offers as you do, they just don't have any "stars" to go with their name.

And how are you so sure Taylor Lamb will become your starter?

App isn't a bad choice for #1 but it's very homerish to say there's no doubt that it is the best.

Apphole
February 7th, 2013, 11:04 AM
What about our recruiting class disappointed you? We have about as many players with FBS offers as you do, they just don't have any "stars" to go with their name.

And how are you so sure Taylor Lamb will become your starter?

App isn't a bad choice for #1 but it's very homerish to say there's no doubt that it is the best.

So if I was more doubtful of my list, it would be more credible?

Apphole
February 7th, 2013, 11:05 AM
I made this tread so that everyone would make a list and discuss them, not just to critique the one I threw together.

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 7th, 2013, 11:11 AM
I made this tread so that everyone would make a list and discuss them, not just to critique the one I threw together.

I don't think it's a bad list. I just disagree that ASU's is clearly the best on paper. Like I said, I know for a fact that we have players with FBS offers who to my knowledge don't have any information on Rivals.

You also need to keep in mind GSU's offensive system. A lot of guys who would be perfect for the slot position or for the OL who may not get a lot of looks from other DI schools because they have no use for them. This goes for El Cid and Wofford, who are probably not as high on your list as they should be.

eaglewraith
February 7th, 2013, 11:11 AM

The players we recruited last year met our needs. The fact that they had stars is a bonus.

Like I said in another thread, in the future if Ga State and UNCC offer a player, they automatically are upgraded to 2 stars. Does that make the player better than he was the day before when he had no stars?

So again, why does it really matter?

walliver
February 7th, 2013, 11:18 AM

I think a lot of people underestimate our talent level, it not like we play small slow nerds with a trick offense - it's a variation of an offense we first ran in 1969. It's just that our offensive scheme requires different talents than others.

The TO requires a durable fullback who can run as well as block. It requires wide receivers who can block. It requires fast linemen. The modern TO can be difficult to recruit for since most high schools either run a spread offense or a plain vanilla I offense. As a result, many athletes are recruited based on their skill sets, not their performance at their high school position. We have also had some success recruiting from small schools whose players can be difficult to assess due to competition level. Successful recruiting at the FCS level is often more about spotting potential than evaluating high school performance.

Most Terrier fans are happy with this class and acknowlege that we will never have a "highly rated" recruiting class (but we do have 4 SoCon championships in the last decade).

PaladinFan
February 7th, 2013, 11:28 AM

I suppose you are right. Anything is better than arguing about realignment and Chatty's place in the standings four years ago.

Furman's class is stout. The initial reaction is to look at the positive in these kids and ignore the negatives. However, I was extremely impressed watching the film on these guys, and have been told that Furman didn't miss on many of its top targets.

I'm really excited about the guys we've got on defense. Furman got a couple of really good defensive types I am thrilled about - Minter, Rogers, and Olusanya. All three of those guys have some of the best tackling I have seen on a FCS type film in a while. High energy guys, gritty, slam runners backwards not sling them forward, and then for good measure make sure the vanquished knows who it was that did the hitting. Frankly, when you come into the program already tackling like that, I'm excited to see where they will be in a couple of years.

What I like most about Fowler's class is that 10 of the 17 played football in their state's highest classification (which in Florida and Georgia is close to semi-pro). Only 3 of the 17 played in a classification lower than 4A. Fowler is getting all state players at huge high schools who have already competed against big time college players. Makes the jump to the SoCon that much easier.

Furman will be young this year and next. Still, Fowler started a slew of freshmen last season, and I anticipate some of these new additions will vie for playing time as well. If we can get back to above .500 this season (and I think that is readily attainable), I'll feel real good about the future.

mountaineer in Cane Land
February 7th, 2013, 11:52 AM
I think Furman made the best strides in narrowing the talent gap between the top tier teams and Furman, great class, took care of all their needs. App and GS, to no surprise, took care of business, took care of their weaknesses, and appear, if the recruits pan out, to stay in contention of the SC and the NC. Outside of Elon, and the Citedel, looks like everyone else had good recruiting classes. I dont understand the Cit's recruiting, why are they bring in all the wide receivers? I understand 1 maybe 2, but 4? For a team that wants to run the ball 90 percent of the time, dont understand going after all the receivers.

CID1990
February 7th, 2013, 12:04 PM
I think Furman made the best strides in narrowing the talent gap between the top tier teams and Furman, great class, took care of all their needs. App and GS, to no surprise, took care of business, took care of their weaknesses, and appear, if the recruits pan out, to stay in contention of the SC and the NC. Outside of Elon, and the Citedel, looks like everyone else had good recruiting classes. I dont understand the Cit's recruiting, why are they bring in all the wide receivers? I understand 1 maybe 2, but 4? For a team that wants to run the ball 90 percent of the time, dont understand going after all the receivers.

We pulled in a larger percentage of the kids we wanted than in years past. This year it seems we got a lot of the kids we went after, and several of them had FBS offers.

As for the WRs, I doubt very seriously that we will be running them all at WR. Our All American center was recruited as a LB/TE. We WILL be trying to balance our offense though, so expect to see some more throwing to keep people from stacking the box on us.

We also have an experienced throwing QB (as you should know if you watched him light up ASU in Boone) and another recruited in this class (he had an offer from Air Force). So as has been said in other parts of this and other threads, if you really pay attention to recruiting class rankings, you're doing it wrong.

Apphole
February 7th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Post 30 and still no lists. Comon guys.

chattownmocs
February 7th, 2013, 12:10 PM
1. App State
2. Chattanooga
3. Furman
4. Samford
5. Georgia Southern
6. The Citadel
7. Western Carolina
8. Elon
9. Wofford

PaladinFan
February 7th, 2013, 12:20 PM

I agree. Furman is still closer to "good" than they are "bad". I think the 8 point differential in the losses to App, Coastal, and Wofford and the complete drubbings of Elon and Western are testament to that.

My personal opinion is that Furman has been getting by using 2 or 3 really good players and a bunch of role players. Back in the early to mid 2000s, Furman was good at every position. You can make a case that some of those years, the three best linebackers in the SoCon all played for the Paladins. They've had some really good players the past few years, but you could make adjustments to counteract a Jerodis Williams, Ryan Steed, Colin Anderson, or Kadarron Anderson. Taking plays the other way, loading up the box, and double teams were crippling.

It was stunning actually to go back and look at those recruiting classes Furman was pulling in 8-10 years ago. Nearly 2/3 of the class would be all conference key contributors. The last few years of Lamb, we were getting a couple of really good players, but maybe only 2 or 3 would turn into real stalwarts. I see that changing.

CID1990
February 7th, 2013, 01:27 PM
I agree. Furman is still closer to "good" than they are "bad". I think the 8 point differential in the losses to App, Coastal, and Wofford and the complete drubbings of Elon and Western are testament to that.

So what you are saying is that you were just slightly worse than ASU, Coastal and Wofford, significantly better than WCU and Elon, and your daddy is The Citadel?

Thanks man.

asumike83
February 7th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Disclaimer: I follow Appalachian recruiting closely, have very good knowledge of who we got and who offered those kids. Every other school is working knowledge at best.

1) Appalachian
2) Furman
3) Georgia Southern
4) Chattanooga
5) Samford
6) Wofford
7) Western
8) The Citadel
9) Elon

Apphole
February 7th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Disclaimer: I follow Appalachian recruiting closely, have very good knowledge of who we got and who offered those kids. Every other school is working knowledge at best.

I think I'll put something to the effect of this disclaimer in my signature...

PaladinFan
February 7th, 2013, 02:07 PM
So what you are saying is that you were just slightly worse than ASU, Coastal and Wofford, significantly better than WCU and Elon, and your daddy is The Citadel?

Thanks man.

The Citadel realized for four quarters what it took most other opponents at least a half to realize. We had a true freshman quarterback, youth at receiver, and an extremely young offensive line. We weren't going to beat you passing the ball.

We had two studs on offense - Jerodis Williams and Colin Anderson. The Citadel just came out and did to us for four quarters what most of our opponents figured out at half time. Put two guys on Anderson, man to man on the outside, and walk up your safeties to assist against Williams. Take the ball game out of the hands of Williams and force young Hannon to make the reads to beat you.

Problem for Elon and Western is they couldn't stop the running game. It is a crying shame that Jerodis Williams played on some of the worst Furman teams of the last twenty years. He would have been incredible behind the offensive lines we had five years earlier. He was a back to back 1,000 yard rusher basically without much help. First back to do that since Louis Ivory, who played with a lot more talent on offense.

SU DOG
February 7th, 2013, 02:16 PM

Nice work - great list. For some reason, I really like this list the BEST. LOL

CID1990
February 7th, 2013, 02:59 PM
The Citadel realized for four quarters what it took most other opponents at least a half to realize. We had a true freshman quarterback, youth at receiver, and an extremely young offensive line. We weren't going to beat you passing the ball.

We had two studs on offense - Jerodis Williams and Colin Anderson. The Citadel just came out and did to us for four quarters what most of our opponents figured out at half time. Put two guys on Anderson, man to man on the outside, and walk up your safeties to assist against Williams. Take the ball game out of the hands of Williams and force young Hannon to make the reads to beat you.

Problem for Elon and Western is they couldn't stop the running game. It is a crying shame that Jerodis Williams played on some of the worst Furman teams of the last twenty years. He would have been incredible behind the offensive lines we had five years earlier. He was a back to back 1,000 yard rusher basically without much help. First back to do that since Louis Ivory, who played with a lot more talent on offense.

We scored 41 points in that game. The problem for Furman was not The Citadel's defense. It was Furman's.

Reign of Terrier
February 7th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Wofford signed 27 players yesterday (most in the conference and school history), including a former 3 star player who was looked at by some FBS schools, a weight-lifting champ from Florida, a 6-6 TE, and others (I'm watching the recruiting video currently). there have been many instances in the past when 2 star and 3 star players have been signed by FCS teams and retrospectively the recruiting sites changed their ratings.

So with all of that said, I'm skeptical that one can put us in the bottom 4, so I wouldn't rank us lower than 5th. Keep in mind on paper that Furman, App State, and Chattanooga have regularly out- recruited us. So at this point I don't know if I'm arguing over the validity of this conversation or the position of Wofford....

Either way, we'll be laughing about these rankings all the way to the playoffs next year.

SpeedkingATL
February 7th, 2013, 03:40 PM
I would use the same disclaimer as asumike as I followed App's recruitment closely and can only rate others based on the lists on line. My ranking based on that would be:

1-Appalachian - Maybe a wishful homer pick but App did address their areas of need with LB, DB, RB and future QB a priority.
2-GaSo - Got 2 stud RB's that I'm aware of and a big replacement to fill bearpig's spot.
3-UTC - Lots of good athletes, many with good "rankings".
4-Sammy - If a team is built around the lines, Sammy did well as they have a lot of really big guys coming in.
5-Furple - Appears they have brought in a lot of defensive guys which could help rebuild their traditional defensive strength.
6-Wofford - Huge class so there have to be some of guys that will fit there system. Ayers is one of those rare coaches that can win against all logic and reason and he will get the most out of this large class.
7-Citdogs - They continue to improve and have some good "athletes" in this group.
8-Whee - It will take time to overcome the negative tradition that they have earned over the last decade. They did get a couple of guys that would have looked good in Black and Gold.
9-Elon - Just couldn't judge much based on what I read. Not really fair to rank them here but hey, this is a crapshoot at best anyway. The post-Lembo hangover is still a posibility.

All that said it appears the SoCon is attracting more good athletes or maybe there are simply more good athletes around these days.

blueballs
February 7th, 2013, 03:41 PM
1- App State... the greatest class in the history of FCS, even better than GSU's 1987 class, YSU's 1990 class, Marshall's 1992 class, GSU's 1995 class, GSU's 1997 class, App's 2003 class, or NDSU's 2010 class. The GREATEST EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2- Chattanooga... The only reason it isn't better than App's is because App beats Chatty every year so logic dictates that they are beating Chatty at recruiting too. The second best class in the history of the FCS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3- Wofford.... To be able to find that many guys who can get into school at Wofford and play at the level they always seem to is nothing short of a miracle. Wofford's not exactly teeming with pussy either so you know those boys are serious about studying and playing football.

4- Furman.... finally figured out that games are won and lost on the LOS and went out and recruited some big uglies that aren't coeds. They'll start getting better.

5A- Samford... Pulled in some good players and addressed their needs. They'll be a playoff contender come fall.

5B- Citadel... They polished some new knobs yesterday... good effort.

6- Elon... A rats *** is not given

7- WCU... see Elon

8- GSU... Given the low academic standards, the availability of scholarship money, and the plethora of pussy in the 'boro you'd think they would be able to sign something better than the last place team at the special olympics. Just a pathetic effort, the worst class in the history of FCS... in fact, it's "Prarie View-ish."

Reign of Terrier
February 7th, 2013, 03:44 PM
1- App State... the greatest class in the history of FCS, even better than GSU's 1987 class, YSU's 1990 class, Marshall's 1992 class, GSU's 1995 class, GSU's 1997 class, App's 2003 class, or NDSU's 2010 class. The GREATEST EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2- Chattanooga... The only reason it isn't better than App's is because App beats Chatty every year so logic dictates that they are beating Chatty at recruiting too. The second best class in the history of the FCS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3- Wofford.... To be able to find that many guys who can get into school at Wofford and play at the level they always seem to is nothing short of a miracle. Wofford's not exactly teeming with pussy either so you know those boys are serious about studying and playing football.

4- Furman.... finally figured out that games are won and lost on the LOS and went out and recruited some big uglies that aren't coeds. They'll start getting better.

5A- Samford... Pulled in some good players and addressed their needs. They'll be a playoff contender come fall.

5B- Citadel... They polished some new knobs yesterday... good effort.

6- Elon... A rats *** is not given

7- WCU... see Elon

8- GSU... Given the low academic standards, the availability of scholarship money, and the plethora of pussy in the 'boro you'd think they would be able to sign something better than the last place team at the special olympics. Just a pathetic effort, the worst class in the history of FCS... in fact, it's "Prarie View-ish."

I will thoroughly challenge the latter point raised in #3

PaladinFan
February 7th, 2013, 03:46 PM
We scored 41 points in that game. The problem for Furman was not The Citadel's defense. It was Furman's.

Perhaps. Four point game at the half. Furman lost its quarterback early in the game and looked completely lost on offense for the remainder. The backup, I believe, had an unforced fubmle on his first play from scrimmage.

Yes, the Citadel scored 42 points. They scored three touchdowns on drives where they took over in Furman's end of the field. Twice they took over inside the 25. Those are offensive problems, not defensive problems. Not many teams can withstand giving a good team the ball three times in their own end of the field with turnovers. Yes, the Bulldogs scored. They didn't put up a staggering amount of yardage. In 2003, we would have lost 21-17. In 2012, those possessions turned into touchdowns.

I can tell you from watching Furman a bunch that the Paladins did virtually nothing offensively in the second half of any game all season (even against PC). The defense wasn't bad, but you can only ask a unit to run out there and defend a short field so many times before they just get overwhelmed.

boonedocks
February 7th, 2013, 03:48 PM

I will thoroughly challenge the latter point raised in #3

So you're saying they arent serious about studying and playing football?

Apphole
February 7th, 2013, 03:50 PM

http://www.americansweets.co.uk/ekmps/shops/statesidecandy/images/smuckers-concord-grape-jelly-18oz-jar-1949-p.jpg

Reign of Terrier
February 7th, 2013, 03:52 PM
So you're saying they arent serious about studying and playing football?

Ever seen the women of Wofford.....something like 60% are sorority girls

PaladinFan
February 7th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Wofford signed 27 players yesterday (most in the conference and school history), including a former 3 star player who was looked at by some FBS schools, a weight-lifting champ from Florida, a 6-6 TE, and others (I'm watching the recruiting video currently). there have been many instances in the past when 2 star and 3 star players have been signed by FCS teams and retrospectively the recruiting sites changed their ratings.

So with all of that said, I'm skeptical that one can put us in the bottom 4, so I wouldn't rank us lower than 5th. Keep in mind on paper that Furman, App State, and Chattanooga have regularly out- recruited us. So at this point I don't know if I'm arguing over the validity of this conversation or the position of Wofford....

Either way, we'll be laughing about these rankings all the way to the playoffs next year.

What on earth is Wofford going to do with a 6'6 Tight End?

Just for grins I looked it up. Wofford has three tightends on roster (who don't double as long snappers). Terrier TEs caught 7 passes for 101 yards in 13 games. He might be a decent blocker, but he won't be using that height to fight for passes unless Wofford drastically changes their offensive philosophy.

Apphole
February 7th, 2013, 03:55 PM

I've only met one female that went to Wofford. She was hot as ****.

You also have to factor in the fact that 90% of guys that go to Wofford are douche bags. As a cool dude, you pretty much have you choice of women.

blueballs
February 7th, 2013, 04:21 PM

But that means that there are maybe about 200 hotties...

Compare that to GSU where there's about 12k split tails and at least half of them are doable and about half of that is hot.

Slim Pickens wasn't just a musician you know?

PaladinFan
February 7th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Odds are good, but the goods are odd.

seantaylor
February 8th, 2013, 02:40 AM

Compare that to GSU where there's about 12k split tails and at least half of them are doable and about half of that is hot.

Guinea talk. Knew there was a reason I always respected you.

seantaylor
February 8th, 2013, 02:44 AM
1. GSU
2. Appy
3. Woffie
4. Samford
5. Chatty
6. Furman
7. El Chit
8. WCU
9. Eloan

parr90
February 9th, 2013, 05:55 PM
All I can say as a former college football player is that ranking these recruiting classes is ridiculous. Coaches don't care about the stars. They have there eyes on players before they even get ranked. Many kids don't go to combines or camps and never get rated. The biggest thing though is that they cant measure how much a player will mature mentally and physically once he gets a couple years in college. Most smart coaches go after kids that will fit their type of system. They could care less If he has a star or not. Many underrated players will turn out to be 4 star quality by the time they are 2 years in. You can rank them all you want but it don't mean a dang thing. Your team winning is what matters.

ASUMountaineer
February 11th, 2013, 09:00 AM
All I can say as a former college football player is that ranking these recruiting classes is ridiculous. Coaches don't care about the stars. They have there eyes on players before they even get ranked. Many kids don't go to combines or camps and never get rated. The biggest thing though is that they cant measure how much a player will mature mentally and physically once he gets a couple years in college. Most smart coaches go after kids that will fit their type of system. They could care less If he has a star or not. Many underrated players will turn out to be 4 star quality by the time they are 2 years in. You can rank them all you want but it don't mean a dang thing. Your team winning is what matters.

This can't be true, chattownmocs has said otherwise.

Apphole
February 12th, 2013, 08:44 AM
1. GSU
2. Appy
3. Woffie
4. Samford
5. Chatty
6. Furman
7. El Chit
8. WCU
9. Eloan

Shirley you can't be serious.

Laserlips
February 13th, 2013, 08:17 AM

And..

Slim Whitman wasn't much of an actor... ;)(Well, he was pretty good in the original "Getaway" with Steve McQueen and Ali McGraw.. Love the "building supplies" he took into Mexico in the back of his old pickup
).

J.