PDA

View Full Version : Patriot Signing Day Thread

DFW HOYA
February 6th, 2013, 01:08 PM
From the Colgate twitter feed:

"Recruit ratings are all subjective (ex: Eachus, Scott, McCarney, etc were all unrated out of HS), but the current class has 5 recruits.....that are rated as 2 stars by Rivals. That is more started players than the last 6 recruit classes combined. #scholarships"

Pard4Life
February 6th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Georgetown signing list: http://www.georgetowncupcake.com/

DFW HOYA
February 6th, 2013, 07:14 PM
(Bucknell, 18)
http://www.bucknellbison.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020613aab.html

(Colgate, 21)
http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/news/2013/2/6/FB_0206134629.aspx

(Fordham, 16-18)
Announcement this evening

(Georgetown, 22-28, no scholarships)
No final list until May

(Holy Cross, 16)
http://www.goholycross.com/sports/m-footbl/2012-13/releases/20130206j1j05t

(Lafayette, 20)
http://www.goleopards.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020613aac.html

(Lehigh, 20)
http://www.lehighsports.com/sports/football/coen_welcomes_20_in_lehigh_football_class_of_2017. aspx

superman7515
February 6th, 2013, 07:35 PM
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20130206/SPORTS14/130206029/Caravel-s-Glenn-Ripanti-sign-letters-intent

After four years of playing football together, Troy Glenn and Pierce Ripanti will be on opposing sides next season.

The Caravel teammates signed National Letters of Intent with rival Patriot League colleges today, with Glenn choosing Bucknell and Ripanti going to Lehigh.

“That’s going to be incredible,” Ripanti said. “We’ve been playing on the same team for four years. … The next four years, we’re going to play them. We have a game scheduled my freshman year against them at Bucknell. That will be exciting.”

Glenn, a 6-foot-2, 265-pound defensive tackle, and Ripanti, a 6-0, 195-pound outside linebacker, led the Glasgow school to a 13-0 record and the DIAA Division II state championship last fall.

“It’s a great school. It’s Division I, so I’ll get to play at a high level of football,” Glenn said of Bucknell. “I’ll be playing against my teammate, Pierce. That will be fun.”

Glenn also received recruiting interest from Georgetown, Sacred Heart, Wagner, Monmouth and Central Connecticut State. He chose Bucknell because it offered the best financial package.

“I won’t have any debt coming out of college. That’s a big help,” Glenn said. “Every school in the Patriot League is a great school, so you can’t go wrong with the academics.”

Ripanti received interest from Coastal Carolina, Delaware and Towson, but ultimately his decision came down to William & Mary or Lehigh.

“On my official visit at Lehigh, we were waiting to see if William & Mary was going to put a full ride on the table,” Ripanti said. “They didn’t do that, so at the end of my visit I made my commitment to Lehigh.”

bison137
February 6th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Susan, in his e-mail about the class, confirmed that the class is not complete. He said they will be adding more players over the next couple of weeks. I assume there is still some scholarship money left.

BucBisonAtLarge
February 7th, 2013, 01:08 AM
Glenn also received recruiting interest from Georgetown, Sacred Heart, Wagner, Monmouth and Central Connecticut State. He chose Bucknell because it offered the best financial package.

“I won’t have any debt coming out of college. That’s a big help,” Glenn said. “Every school in the Patriot League is a great school, so you can’t go wrong with the academics.”

Ripanti received interest from Coastal Carolina, Delaware and Towson, but ultimately his decision came down to William & Mary or Lehigh.

“On my official visit at Lehigh, we were waiting to see if William & Mary was going to put a full ride on the table,” Ripanti said. “They didn’t do that, so at the end of my visit I made my commitment to Lehigh.”

OK, the starkness of the aid calculus involved here in the decisions of these two players sorta strips away the final vestiges of that PL purity of academic purpose. Unless, of course, you are going to cling to the AI as somewhat ennobling. Bring on Boston University.

van
February 7th, 2013, 06:19 AM

OK, the starkness of the aid calculus involved here in the decisions of these two players sorta strips away the final vestiges of that PL purity of academic purpose. Unless, of course, you are going to cling to the AI as somewhat ennobling. Bring on Boston University.

Yes, in the old days this young man would have gone to W&M, and a perhaps a equally qualified academic with lesser football skills would have filled the spot.

Franks Tanks
February 7th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Yes, in the old days this young man would have gone to W&M, and a perhaps a equally qualified academic with lesser football skills would have filled the spot.

Not necessarily as he didn't have a full ride at William & Mary (perhaps a 1/2, they do that often).

Doc QB
February 7th, 2013, 08:23 AM
The press release in the Morning Call today was interesting...initially talks about the new direction of recruiting, having ability to offer unrestricted aid. But, Coen goes on to explain a few guys are paying their own way, and he broke up the 15 full tickets to get 20 guys in the class. To me this begs the question, what was different then? If you didnt just give 15 full scholarships, you essentially did the same thing as other years where you had the total cash available for 15 slots. Was the difference getting a few of those good athletes with parental incomes too high to qualify for that aid? Did those guys get the full ride or were they given the half rides? I would think the half ride would still lose to Harvard and a full CAA scholarship. I would personally love to see the breakdown of how many full tickets were given and how many broken up. Either way, league wide, everyone seemed to have a smaller class than usual, so I assume most were the full boat. Hopefully these guys are the real deal ACROSS the whole league, and PL continues to improve.

And I would also love to see where else these guys from LU took their five allowed official, paid campus visits. Aside from knowing who truly offered them (kids and parents lie all the time), there may be no better barometer as to what kind of athlete they are as to who really wanted them and paid for them to fly to campus. Not many FCS guys get ratings on all of those services, which is kinda inexact when you have a rated recruit. So where they went, I think, becomes pretty meaningful as to their market values.

Doc QB
February 7th, 2013, 08:27 AM
It says he received interest...is that an official visit, a form letter, a school visit from the position coach, a home visit with head coach? That statement is vauge. It also did not say that Delaware, Towson, CC offered either...so if W&M bailed, in my mind, was he a CAA level performer? My guess is he was second tier for them.

DFW HOYA
February 7th, 2013, 08:45 AM

Too many stories on the Interwebs this week about someone choosing Holy Cross or another PL school school over Georgetown and then adding that he "didn't have to go into debt". Bad for Georgetown, ultimately bad for the PL.

Franks Tanks
February 7th, 2013, 08:58 AM
The press release in the Morning Call today was interesting...initially talks about the new direction of recruiting, having ability to offer unrestricted aid. But, Coen goes on to explain a few guys are paying their own way, and he broke up the 15 full tickets to get 20 guys in the class. To me this begs the question, what was different then? If you didnt just give 15 full scholarships, you essentially did the same thing as other years where you had the total cash available for 15 slots. Was the difference getting a few of those good athletes with parental incomes too high to qualify for that aid? Did those guys get the full ride or were they given the half rides? I would think the half ride would still lose to Harvard and a full CAA scholarship. I would personally love to see the breakdown of how many full tickets were given and how many broken up. Either way, league wide, everyone seemed to have a smaller class than usual, so I assume most were the full boat. Hopefully these guys are the real deal ACROSS the whole league, and PL continues to improve.

And I would also love to see where else these guys from LU took their five allowed official, paid campus visits. Aside from knowing who truly offered them (kids and parents lie all the time), there may be no better barometer as to what kind of athlete they are as to who really wanted them and paid for them to fly to campus. Not many FCS guys get ratings on all of those services, which is kinda inexact when you have a rated recruit. So where they went, I think, becomes pretty meaningful as to their market values.

Best guess is that at least 1/2 of the classes were full ride guys. Having 40-50 guys (after 4 scholly classes) with free rides will be huge. These are kids that would have went to a CAA, an Ivy or an Academy otherwise. We are getting kids that were more highly sought after then before and our teams will be better. As far as who gets a full vs partial it is all about how badly the coach wants a kid. We will offer high income kids full rides if we think we need it to land the kid, and some middle income kids will get 1/2 rides if they aren't a priority. We will always needs some walk ons and half rides to provide depth, but I don't see anyway that our teams don't get better.

carney2
February 7th, 2013, 09:14 AM
One of the published interviews with Lafayette's Frank Tavani has him stating that there are still lots of quality guys out there still unsigned, and hints that he will be after them because "this class isn't complete yet." I'm betting that everyone has stuffed something up their sleeve "just in case."

Fordham
February 7th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Fordham announces:

Fordham Football 2013 Class (http://http://www.fordhamsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020613aab.html)

RichH2
February 7th, 2013, 09:39 AM
A caveat here. Just cause arecruit gets a1/2 ride does not equate to him paying any tuition . High need kid would still.get need aid above that. Total of 2 would count vs PL limit of 60.

van
February 7th, 2013, 10:50 AM
One of the published interviews with Lafayette's Frank Tavani has him stating that there are still lots of quality guys out there still unsigned, and hints that he will be after them because "this class isn't complete yet." I'm betting that everyone has stuffed something up their sleeve "just in case."

Sure hope so, we could use more help at NG.

van
February 7th, 2013, 10:53 AM
It says he received interest...is that an official visit, a form letter, a school visit from the position coach, a home visit with head coach? That statement is vauge. It also did not say that Delaware, Towson, CC offered either...so if W&M bailed, in my mind, was he a CAA level performer? My guess is he was second tier for them.

Actually, said he was waiting for a full ride offer from W&M. W&M may have offered half or nothing, but my point was that our ability to offer non-need based $$ at least put us on equal footing with W&M.

carney2
February 7th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Actually, said he was waiting for a full ride offer from W&M. W&M may have offered half or nothing, but my point was that our ability to offer non-need based $$ at least put us on equal footing with W&M.

"Equal footing" may be overstating it. W&M, after all, plays the redshirt game very heavily. "In the game" might be a better way of putting it.

PAllen
February 7th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Too many stories on the Interwebs this week about someone choosing Holy Cross or another PL school school over Georgetown and then adding that he "didn't have to go into debt". Bad for Georgetown, ultimately bad for the PL.

Why is expanding the pool of students you can realistically recruit bad for the PL? I'm sorry that Georgetown chooses not to fully fund the program to league levels, but that is their choice. I think it would be terrible for the league to hold itself back in search of some mysterious parity with an associate member who's administration doesn't give a crap about the one sport in which they associate with the PL.

PAllen
February 7th, 2013, 11:42 AM
"Equal footing" may be overstating it. W&M, after all, plays the redshirt game very heavily. "In the game" might be a better way of putting it.

Agreed, certainly not equal footing in this case. But a strong second place. Obviously a full ride at Lehigh > partial or need based aid at W&M to this kid. Without a scholarship offer from Lehigh, this kid clearly goes elsewhere.

Doc QB
February 7th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Agreed, certainly not equal footing in this case. But a strong second place. Obviously a full ride at Lehigh > partial or need based aid at W&M to this kid. Without a scholarship offer from Lehigh, this kid clearly goes elsewhere. Without a full ride, he may not go to Lehigh, but he wasnt going to W&M or the other schools that were listed that had interest in him either. In reality, he was second tier to them all. Period. The story never read, "He weighed scholarship offers from Delaware, Towson, Coastal, and a partial from W&M." We are not able to ascertain 'equal footing' because since we have no direct knowledge of true offers (based on above) we were not in direct competition with scholarships from those schools.

Doc QB
February 7th, 2013, 12:08 PM
A caveat here. Just cause arecruit gets a1/2 ride does not equate to him paying any tuition . High need kid would still.get need aid above that. Total of 2 would count vs PL limit of 60.

Rich, this is a dangerous slope. We will loose half ride kids by asking the better ones to pay half. A half football ride to a high need kid will cut down his need by half, and with the athletic department giving out full scholarships, the rest of his demonstrated need can not come from said athletic department, it will be loans straight from the general student aid population based on the FAFSA where you must report the athletic aid. So it begs the question, who wins with: CAA full ride, PL with half scholarship and half student loans, and some nebulous package at Haaavaaard where you pay some by not all for that Ivy degree.

Franks Tanks
February 7th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Rich, this is a dangerous slope. We will loose half ride kids by asking the better ones to pay half. A half football ride to a high need kid will cut down his need by half, and with the athletic department giving out full scholarships, the rest of his demonstrated need can not come from said athletic department, it will be loans straight from the general student aid population based on the FAFSA where you must report the athletic aid. So it begs the question, who wins with: CAA full ride, PL with half scholarship and half student loans, and some nebulous package at Haaavaaard where you pay some by not all for that Ivy degree.

Right now the PL school loses in that scenario. If the PL school also offered a full ride the decision becomes much more difficult for the recruit. The kid Lehigh signed from Freedom High school had a full ride offered from UNH so Lehigh and others will win battles we never would have won last year. In addition a few years down the road the PL and CAA will be much closer in overall level of play, and I think we see more kids signing with PL schools over CAA schools because the level of play will be quite similar. It wasn't so long ago that kids often chose the schools that now make up the PL over the then Yankee Conference schools. In 80's kids went to Holy Cross first, and UMASS, URI, UNH second. We may never get back to that point, but we will be much more competitive.

superman7515
February 7th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Absolutely. Just look at what the addition of scholarships has done for Fordham.

RichH2
February 7th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Kauffman and Shafnisky both offered full to UNH. To clarify, need aid is mostly grants, whether athletic or general at LU. Slippery slope, I agree but possible until we get close to 60 max. Must, of course satisfy 3constraints football budget, ncaa max and PL max. No doubt that some 1/2s will be necessary to keep roster in the 80s.

van
February 7th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Absolutely. Just look at what the addition of scholarships has done for Fordham.

Aw shucks Supe, you just had to pick on those guys didn't you. Oh, and by the way, Rams did have a winning record last year and might just be pretty good this year coming. That school in Newark ... never mind.

Franks Tanks
February 7th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Aw shucks Supe, you just had to pick on those guys didn't you. Oh, and by the way, Rams did have a winning record last year and might just be pretty good this year coming. That school in Newark ... never mind.

Fordham has some excellent players. Their issue before this year was their terrible head coach. I agree that Fordham will be formidable in 2013.

superman7515
February 7th, 2013, 01:15 PM
So your saying that Fordham might be good and Delaware might not. There's making a bold and definitive statement if ever there has been one. I'll be looking forward to your participation in the Over/Under Challenge this season. All ballbusting aside, my point wasn't to knock Fordham but simply to say that the addition of scholarships is not the panacea for FCS football. Coaching, facilities, location, politics (helps to be in good with the high school coaches), and a myriad of other factors play a role. Many of them a greater role than the presence of scholarships alone. It will help to some degree, ceteris paribus, but to what extent won't be known for several years. There was a good ol' boy farmer in the fire department with me years ago who always said you can take any idiot off the street and put him on a brand new tractor and not get a damn thing done, but a good man with a piece of junk will still find a way.

bison137
February 7th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Rich or someone, a couple of questions:

1. The original PL press release and faq's on scholarships appeared to say that a school could not carry over any scholarship money to the next year. In other words, if you only give out 13 scholarship this year, you still only have 15 next year. Is that correct?

2. If a school has a scholarship player drop out after a year, are they allowed to replace that player with a new scholarship player? In other words, assume 15 scholarships given out for Year 1. At the end of 1st semester, one of those players drops out. Can the school now give out 16 scholarships for Year 2? The way the FAQ and press release was worded, it appears the answer may be "no" - but I don't know if that was the intent.

Franks Tanks
February 7th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Rich or someone, a couple of questions:

1. The original PL press release and faq's on scholarships appeared to say that a school could not carry over any scholarship money to the next year. In other words, if you only give out 13 scholarship this year, you still only have 15 next year. Is that correct?

2. If a school has a scholarship player drop out after a year, are they allowed to replace that player with a new scholarship player? In other words, assume 15 scholarships given out for Year 1. At the end of 1st semester, one of those players drops out. Can the school now give out 16 scholarships for Year 2? The way the FAQ and press release was worded, it appears the answer may be "no" - but I don't know if that was the intent.

I wondered about this too. Coach T said yesterday in his chat that the 15 per year rule would only be for the 1st two years. After that I believe a school can give out as many scholarships as they want in any given year as long as they are below the 60 total, and of course no more than the NCAA max of 25. As you note we will lose a few kids per year so subsequent classes many have 19 scholarships on ocassion.

van
February 7th, 2013, 01:37 PM
So your saying that Fordham might be good and Delaware might not. There's making a bold and definitive statement if ever there has been one. I'll be looking forward to your participation in the Over/Under Challenge this season. All ballbusting aside, my point wasn't to knock Fordham but simply to say that the addition of scholarships is not the panacea for FCS football. Coaching, facilities, location, politics (helps to be in good with the high school coaches), and a myriad of other factors play a role. Many of them a greater role than the presence of scholarships alone. It will help to some degree, ceteris paribus, but to what extent won't be known for several years. There was a good ol' boy farmer in the fire department with me years ago who always said you can take any idiot off the street and put him on a brand new tractor and not get a damn thing done, but a good man with a piece of junk will still find a way.

Agree, ability to offer merit aid only helps even the landscape. My opinion, PL recruits will be 80% the same guys as before, and those who attacted the right 20% that make a difference will see results. Agree with Tanks, Fordham has attracted some good players and merit aid deserves some of the credit for that.

bison137
February 7th, 2013, 01:54 PM
I wondered about this too. Coach T said yesterday in his chat that the 15 per year rule would only be for the 1st two years. After that I believe a school can give out as many scholarships as they want in any given year as long as they are below the 60 total, and of course no more than the NCAA max of 25. As you note we will lose a few kids per year so subsequent classes many have 19 scholarships on ocassion.

Part of the problem is that the press release and the attached faq's were not fully consistent:

PRESS RELEASE: "Starting with the class entering school in the fall of 2013, each school will be permitted to award no more than the equivalent of 15 athletic financial aid awards each year to incoming football student-athletes, including transfer student-athletes."

FAQ: "for the classes entering in the fall of 2013 and 2014, not more than 15 equivalencies per year of countable athletic aid or a total of 30 equivalencies over the two-year period shall be awarded to incoming football student-athletes, including transfers."

The FAQ, by its use of the word "or" between 15 per year OR 30 for two years, leaves it open to interpretation if the school only has to meet the second part of the standard, i.e.30 for two years. Further, who knows if whoever penned the release was even thinking about players leaving the program. I've noticed on things like tiebreakers that all of the possibilities are sometimes not clearly thought out.

RichH2
February 7th, 2013, 02:26 PM
PL adores ambiguity. Asked them last summer. No more than 15 for 1st 2 yrs. Afterwards ,NCAA annual max.. Much less clear on equivalencies for 1st 2 yrs. Kept telling me that 60 included all aid $ to a recruited player towards 60 limit. You are free to get from that what you will. Eventually, sorts itself out to 60 over 85.
How coaches adapt to new rules will be an interesting process.
How to handle recruits quitting team or leaving school? Love to assume a common sense approach rsstoring access to that schollie. Dont know answer.o

Doc QB
February 7th, 2013, 05:23 PM
PL adores ambiguity. Asked them last summer. No more than 15 for 1st 2 yrs. Afterwards ,NCAA annual max.. Much less clear on equivalencies for 1st 2 yrs. Kept telling me that 60 included all aid $ to a recruited player towards 60 limit. You are free to get from that what you will. Eventually, sorts itself out to 60 over 85.

Rich, its not less clear on equivalencies. The grants from the athletic department under the old rules phase out in next four years, and you get full or half rides. You cannot combine what we called a grant for the newer scholarships. They were always the same thing, from the athletic department, but based on parental income. Now that is thrown out, but it still matters where the dollars are coming from, and its still the Ath Dept. The athletic departments can still only give out 60 slots worth of full tuition and board. That has not changed regardless of whether it is a unrestricted-need bling full or partial scholarship, it is a common denominator. If a kid get half and is rich, its all he gets. If he gets half scholarship and demonstrates need, the athletic department cannot give him anymore more money (because then, his scholarship is obviously not half), but the general student funds from financial aid office can give loans if he applies and qualifies. I will have a hard time believing a kid getting a half ride from the athletic department will get a additional grant award from the financial aid office (instead of additional loans) for two reasons: one, the additional grant money a half ride kid could qualify for will go to another deserving non-athlete, because the aid office will not rob the non-athlete who is not advantaged by football skills, and two (and most important), if the regular financial aid office does give a kid some grant cash, by rules, it could count against Coen's half ride offer, count against the 60 full cap, and Coen now loses that money.

Its all capped at 60 in four years. As Yogi Berra said, 60 full scholarshiops of cash, which is just as good as money. And in my day, the half ride kids at W&M, UNH, and Delaware that I knew well, got NOTHING on top of that half athletic scholarship. Not even loans. Zilch.

RichH2
February 7th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Thanks doc. Got it.

ngineer
February 7th, 2013, 11:41 PM

The PL also placed a cap on roster sizes at 95, so a number of schools including LC and LU have to have smaller incoming classes, from what I read.

ngineer
February 8th, 2013, 12:24 AM
Lehigh HC Andy Coen video interview on not only his new class announced, but the effect being able to offer scholarships had on the recruiting process as www.lehighsports.com

DFW HOYA
February 8th, 2013, 06:34 AM
Georgetown coach Kevin Kelly:

"Recruiting has been more challenging than it has in previous years with our colleagues in the Patriot League now able to give 15 full scholarships, while we are still in our need-based model. What this means is that our Patriot League colleagues will be able to announce their classes on National Signing Day, while we must wait, per NCAA rules, until after May 1 when all deposits are in. However, I’m very excited about the 22 talented student-athletes that will be joining us for 2013. We expect them to complement our experience-laden roster.

"We will only be able to carry 95 student-athletes during the preseason and in-season due to the new mandatory Patriot League roster limits."

http://www.guhoyas.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020713aaa.html

carney2
February 8th, 2013, 08:53 AM
[QUOTE=DFW HOYA;1937915]Georgetown coach Kevin Kelly:

"What this means is that our Patriot League colleagues will be able to announce their classes on National Signing Day, while we must wait, per NCAA rules, until after May 1 when all deposits are in."

Always lots of crapola out of DC when it comes to football. May 1st may be some kind of a Georgetown rule, but it certainly isn't any NCAA rule. In past years when everyone in the League was working with the "need-based model," everyone (except Georgetown) announced before May 1st - most long before May 1st. One of these days the Hoyae will use some of that gray matter they're famous for to figure out what buffoons they are when it comes to football. At that point they will finally decide to grunt or get off the pot. Until then paranoia reigns: "Woe is us."

RichH2
February 8th, 2013, 09:02 AM
True 'nuf. Annoying as their situation self inflicted yet they seen to need acknowledgement of their nobility in the crass era of merit aid.

Fordham
February 8th, 2013, 10:27 AM
NY Post - Breaking Down Fordham;s Football Recruiting Class (http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/collegesports/breaking_down_fordham_football_recruiting_LT2rtgZs 0HmnH23eb3tOmJ#axzz2KKEWLQZo)

Breaking down Fordham's football recruiting class
By ANTHONY SULLA-HEFFINGER

With all of the craziness surrounding the recruiting classes of Alabama, Ole Miss and moms stealing their sons’ letters of intent, Fordham flew under the radar and picked up several nice recruits in a class that brings 17 student-athletes to Rose Hill. The benefit of this particular recruiting class is the depth it will add on the offensive side of the ball. Fordham has brought in six skill position players that will be able to fill in behind the trio of Michael Nebrich, Brian Wetzel and Carlton Koonce.

Quarterback Brandon Fields, a two-star recruit out of Baton Rouge, La., will compete for the starting job with Nebrich, who missed the majority of last season with a knee injury and according to sources is ahead of schedule in his recovery. Fields and Nebrich share similar playing styles and are great fits for the offensive scheme that Fordham runs. “Brandon is a great fit for the spread and he is equally adept at making plays with his arms and legs,” Fordham head coach Joe Moorhead told The Post. “We’re going to give him a chance in camp.”
Fordham is also bringing in a big target for either Fields or Nebrich to throw to.

Brooklyn Tech product Kyvaunne Brammer brings a 6-foot-3 frame to help replace Nick Talbert. Moorhead said that he views Brammer as playing a good chunk as the X-position receiver, where Sam Ajala is currently slated to start, and raved about his ability as a playmaker. “He’s built in that same mold as Talbert, he’s a big strong guy who is able to make plays on the ball in the air,” Moorhead said.

The Rams’ most-intriguing prospect comes from nearby Cardinal Hayes. George Dawson, a 6-foot-2 195-pound player from The Bronx is listed simply as an athlete and was named to the First Team All-CHSFL and First Team All Borough in his senior season. Moorhead believes that the “versatile” Dawson can play on both sides of the ball and on special teams.

The Rams also added four offensive linemen, three other wide receivers, including Tebucky Jones who shares the same name as his father, who was a former Patriots cornerback, and a running back to slide in behind Koonce. On the defensive side of the ball, the Rams brought in five defensive linemen and one cornerback. The Rams’ biggest hole on that side of the ball comes in finding a suitable replacement for Mike Martin, who was the team’s defensive leader and anchor.

Overall, Moorhead was impressed with the recruiting class for the Rams, which is the fourth one where the school is offering scholarships to football players.
"We added size on both sides of the ball which goes along with our philosophy of controlling both sides of the ball," said Moorhead. "We also were able to add some quality skills players today and did it with nine players from New York, New Jersey and Connecticut which corresponds with our recruiting philosophy of bringing in as many recruits as possible within a two hours radius of the campus."

Here’s a full list of the Rams’ recruiting class:
Emmanuel Adeyeye, DL, 6-5, 250, Malverne, N.Y. / Malverne
Kyvaune Brammer, WR, 6-3, 200, Brooklyn, N.Y. / Brooklyn Tech
Charlie Credendino, OL, 6-3, 300, Harrison, N.Y. / Harrison
Marlon Crook, DL, 6-5, 215, Forestville, Md. / Bishop McNamara
George Dawson, ATH, 6-2, 195, Bronx, N.Y. / Cardinal Hayes
Brandon Fields, QB, 6-1, 195, Baton Rouge, La. / St. Michael
Marcus Fulmore, CB, 5-9, 185, Burlington, N.J. / The Pennington School
Kevin Henry, DL, 6-4, 230, Bloomfield Township, Mich. / Brother Rice
Marcus Jones, WR, 6-0, 180, Pennsauken, N.J. / Pennsauken (ASA)
Tebucky Jones, WR, 6-0, 195, Farmington, Conn. / New Britain (Connecticut)
Sam Marlin, OL, 6-7, 275, Harrisburg, Pa. / Mechanicsburg
Erik McCauley, OL, 6-4, 295, Shelby, N.C. / Shelby
Kendall Pearcey, RB, 5-10, 190, Lutz, Fla. / Steinbrenner
Jorge Solano, WR, 5-9, 185, Coral Springs, Fla. / Coral Springs Charter
Justin Vaughn, DL, 6-5, 255, Hamilton, Canada / Niagara Academy
Kyle Vaughn, OL, 6-4, 270, Westport, Conn. / Staples
Brandon Weir, DL, 6-3, 225, Poughkeepsie, N.Y. / Poughkeepsie
[email protected]

Read more: - NYPOST.com http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/collegesports/breaking_down_fordham_football_recruiting_LT2rtgZs 0HmnH23eb3tOmJ#ixzz2KKFQvN1F

DFW HOYA
February 8th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Always lots of crapola out of DC when it comes to football. May 1st may be some kind of a Georgetown rule, but it certainly isn't any NCAA rule. In past years when everyone in the League was working with the "need-based model," everyone (except Georgetown) announced before May 1st - most long before May 1st.

The distinction "may" be that other PL schools accepted the recruits before they announced in February (e.g., in an early admissions pool) whereas Georgetown does not admit any athletes until the April 1 date and they have until May 1 to confirm. Thus, GU doesn't want to be in a position where a name is on a February list and either doesn't get in, or takes another offer in the interim.

It would make some sense within the NCAA that you can't announce a recruit until he is accepted to that school, right?

RichH2
February 8th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Begs the question, why cant GU admit players now. What is going to change between now and April?

DFW HOYA
February 9th, 2013, 05:57 AM
Begs the question, why cant GU admit players now. What is going to change between now and April?

Students are either admitted early action (apply by Nov 1, results Dec. 15) or on Apr. 1, either way, it is non-binding so applicants are still not officially committed until May 1. The early numbers tend to be off the charts (13% admit rate, top 2.2% of class) and athletes are generally not admitted early.

Rules can always be changed but to change the procedure for 15-20 kids a year out of over 20,000 applicants is not likely.

heath
February 9th, 2013, 07:49 AM
most schools postdate the acceptance letter for April and the kid signs the LOI (NLI) on signing day then sends the fax. GU could do the same if they weren't so anal.

CFBfan
February 9th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Students are either admitted early action (apply by Nov 1, results Dec. 15) or on Apr. 1, either way, it is non-binding so applicants are still not officially committed until May 1. The early numbers tend to be off the charts (13% admit rate, top 2.2% of class) and athletes are generally not admitted early.

Rules can always be changed but to change the procedure for 15-20 kids a year out of over 20,000 applicants is not likely.

NO stadium, NO schollies, WON'T change acceptance policy, NOT serious about football !!! (Yes the players certainly are and most of the coaches are BUT the university is NOT!!)

Engineer86
February 9th, 2013, 09:07 AM
NO stadium, NO schollies, WON'T change acceptance policy, NOT serious about football !!! (Yes the players certainly are and most of the coaches are BUT the university is NOT!!)

What am I missing? Based on the current approach the administration has taken with football, what benefit is there in maintaining the program within the Patriot League, in the long run. I guess they are taking a wait and see approach to what impact scholarships have on league play. I would imagine something changes within the next 3-4 years, once things are more clear.

heath
February 9th, 2013, 09:15 AM

I guess basketball at GU is looked at differently,but found this article on John Thompson and thought,what if Coach Kelly had it so good.xconfusedx
Test Score Differences
Deacon said Georgetown's five-person Committee on Admissions, on which he serves, has made "judgments that didn't work out correctly" in admitting some men's basketball players.

The 12 Thompson recruits who entered Georgetown as freshmen from 1993 through 1996 and took the Scholastic Assessment Test had an average score of 821, according to NCAA statistics released this summer. (SAT scores range from 400 to 1,600.)

This compares with an average of 944 for men's basketball players at all private NCAA institutions. And it compares with a mean score of about 1,275 for all Georgetown students during those years, according to the university. Thompson noted that several of his recruits who took the English-language SAT came from countries in which English is not the primary language – a possible reason, he said, for the lower-than-average SAT scores.xlolx

CFBfan
February 9th, 2013, 09:33 AM
I guess basketball at GU is looked at differently,but found this article on John Thompson and thought,what if Coach Kelly had it so good.xconfusedx
Test Score Differences
Deacon said Georgetown's five-person Committee on Admissions, on which he serves, has made "judgments that didn't work out correctly" in admitting some men's basketball players.

The 12 Thompson recruits who entered Georgetown as freshmen from 1993 through 1996 and took the Scholastic Assessment Test had an average score of 821, according to NCAA statistics released this summer. (SAT scores range from 400 to 1,600.)

This compares with an average of 944 for men's basketball players at all private NCAA institutions. And it compares with a mean score of about 1,275 for all Georgetown students during those years, according to the university. Thompson noted that several of his recruits who took the English-language SAT came from countries in which English is not the primary language – a possible reason, he said, for the lower-than-average SAT scores.xlolx

For football it's not about cheating the AI it's simply providing the funds to have a competitive team playing in a reasonable facility!!!

DFW HOYA
February 9th, 2013, 02:52 PM
I guess basketball at GU is looked at differently,but found this article on John Thompson and thought,what if Coach Kelly had it

That article is 16 years old, so that's not very relevant.

heath
February 9th, 2013, 03:58 PM
That article is 16 years old, so that's not very relevant.

You're right, I'm sure things have changed since then and GU is doing things by the book. Sad thing is, they would bend the rules for football IF that sport ever became relevant.

DFW HOYA
February 9th, 2013, 11:13 PM
You're right, I'm sure things have changed since then and GU is doing things by the book. Sad thing is, they would bend the rules for football IF that sport ever became relevant.

The Big East standards certainly differ from the Patriot League, but I've seen nothing to suggest Georgetown is competing outside the Patriot League's rules on football recruiting.