PDA

View Full Version : "Best Recruiting Class Ever"

henfan
February 6th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Unless you're one of the signees or their parents, today is perhaps the most overblown, cliched day of the year in college sports.

Every school will release a statement with the following words in some shape or form.

" We at the (University Name) believe that our 2013 recruiting class is one of the strongest in the history of the (Mascot Nickname) football program. We landed nearly every one of the kids we targeted.

Not only have (Plural Mascot Nickname) managed to fill just about every need on the field but, most importantly, we've also attracted quality young men to our campus. These student-athletes and their families recognize what a special place we have here in (Town Name) at (University Name) and we know that they will add greatly to the university community." Blah, blah, blah.

The reality is that many of these vaunted recruits will never see live action. We all can dream & wish for the best, however.

DFW HOYA
February 6th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Not every school does this.

ASUMountaineer
February 6th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Unless you're one of the signees or their parents, today is perhaps the most overblown, cliched day of the year in college sports.

Every school will release a statement with the following words in some shape or form.

" We at the (University Name) believe that our 2013 recruiting class is one of the strongest in the history of the (Mascot Nickname) football program. We landed nearly every one of the kids we targeted.

Not only have (Plural Mascot Nickname) managed to fill just about every need on the field but, most importantly, we've also attracted quality young men to our campus. These student-athletes and their families recognize what a special place we have here in (Town Name) at (University Name) and we know that they will add greatly to the university community." Blah, blah, blah.

The reality is that many of these vaunted recruits will never see live action. We all can dream & wish for the best, however.

Sounds like the emails I receive at work when a new employee is hired.

Apphole
February 6th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Speak of the devil....

Look what the rag put out about a fantastically mediocre recruiting class....

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/02/05/3835722/jump-to-c-usa-prompts-a-surge.html

andy7171
February 6th, 2013, 09:43 AM
I know I can speak for a lot of former I-AA players, at least from the late 80's and early 90's, National Signing Day is nothing but a miserable memory.

WH49er
February 6th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Speak of the devil....

Look what the rag put out about a fantastically mediocre recruiting class....

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/02/05/3835722/jump-to-c-usa-prompts-a-surge.html

The troll shows his face again. Your infatuation with us, just shows how pathetic your life is. Carry on and we appreciate the clicks for the article. xthumbsupx

Apphole
February 6th, 2013, 09:48 AM
The troll shows his face again. Your infatuation with us, just shows how pathetic your life is. Carry on and we appreciate the clicks for the article. xthumbsupx

Hey man, I just read about this on the MMB, then I came to AGS to find a thread about it. DOn't get mad that you're finally relevant to the forum.

BEAR
February 6th, 2013, 10:34 AM
You know...

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/24907304.jpg

Mattymc727
February 6th, 2013, 10:36 AM
With this years recruiting class....I wouldnt be surprised if UNH won the next 4 national titles, probably 5.

henfan
February 6th, 2013, 10:40 AM
With this years recruiting class....I wouldnt be surprised if UNH won the next 4 national titles, probably 5.

I don't know. UR, UD, JMU, W&M, UA, VU, SBU, TU, URI, etc. all signed their best recruiting classes EVER!xcoffeex

Fordham
February 6th, 2013, 10:49 AM
We should all post our school's press releases here and then vote on who's comes closest to the original post.

danefan
February 6th, 2013, 10:52 AM
No doubt that Albany really did sign its best recruiting class ever.

citdog
February 6th, 2013, 10:58 AM
ray lewis attempted to sign with chatty but was told no thanks and that he wasn't talented enough to be a moc

henfan
February 6th, 2013, 11:23 AM
No doubt that Albany really did sign its best recruiting class ever.

Well, we'll see how/if they actually perform in years to come. In the meantime, the school will no doubt say it's the best class ever, at least until next season and then the season after that, etc.

Sammy94
February 6th, 2013, 11:57 AM
I don't know. UR, UD, JMU, W&M, UA, VU, SBU, TU, URI, etc. all signed their best recruiting classes EVER!

Add SHSU to that. It used to be big news around here when we signed a rivals ranked athlete. This time we got 7 and a ESPN ranked athlete. Times a changing in Bearkat Nation.

Apphole
February 6th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Add SHSU to that. It used to be big news around here when we signed a rivals ranked athlete. This time we got 7 and a ESPN ranked athlete. Times a changing in Bearkat Nation.

Pretty impressive that you've had two consecutive NC appearances without many starred recruits. We didn't sign a single player with less than two stars this year and we've had tons of starred athletes in the recent pass, yet we were one-and-done three years in a row. I think that is a reflection of coaching.

jub1982
February 6th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Pretty impressive that you've had two consecutive NC appearances without many starred recruits. We didn't sign a single player with less than two stars this year and we've had tons of starred athletes in the recent pass, yet we were one-and-done three years in a row. I think that is a reflection of coaching.

Or the effectiveness of recruiting websites. Especially reguarding FCS athletes.

AmsterBison
February 6th, 2013, 12:21 PM
I doubt that NDSU is going to be saying that this is the best class ever. I bet Coach Bohl will say something like, "We believe that we've addressed some future needs, particularily at linebacker and [some other position]."

eaglewraith
February 6th, 2013, 12:22 PM

Or it shows that stars don't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things, or at the very least should be taken with a grain of salt.

In the future, if Ga State or UNCC offer a scholarship to someone, that automatically makes them a 2 star. Does that instantly make them a better recruit than someone App or Georgia Southern signed that received no FBS offers?

Everyone where I work wants to talk about metrics. We were coming up with an evaluation template for one of our teams recently and I put up a huge resistance to having a 1 -5 score put on every item. The problem is how do you evaluate what's good? What's good enough? What's bad? What's holy **** you suck at life? What does a number actually mean? I argued that you want to see specific comments instead of a number, that way you know specifically what's good and what's bad. It leads to a better quality product.

I rather see breakdowns on how an athlete performs...their football IQ, how they breakdown when going for a tackle, how they move their feet, how they use their hands, etc. All of those are more important than a star rating.

CID1990
February 6th, 2013, 12:26 PM

This.

Some of our best teams (not just in football) have been made of some of our most unexpected and unheralded recruits.

Apphole
February 6th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Or the effectiveness of recruiting websites. Especially reguarding FCS athletes.

Absolutely, but it is no secret how much talent we have every year, and how we're on a stint of poor playoff performance in spite of that. VERY excited for the Satterfield era.

chattownmocs
February 6th, 2013, 12:38 PM

Its no secret that you have several 5.2s that got a star rating simply because they signed with a team with a rivals site.

Apphole
February 6th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Its no secret that you have several 5.2s that got a star rating simply because they signed with a team with a rivals site.

You're confusing us with UNCc. That has never happened with the ASU Rivals site.

chattownmocs
February 6th, 2013, 12:46 PM
You're confusing us with UNCc. That has never happened with the ASU Rivals site.

So Satterfield only sees fit to sign players that have a star ranking. Sounds like the lanke kiffin of fcs. Its even a worse strategy at this level. Great at getting who he wants. Just not very good at evaluating talent.

ASUMountaineer
February 6th, 2013, 01:03 PM
So Satterfield only sees fit to sign players that have a star ranking. Sounds like the lanke kiffin of fcs. Its even a worse strategy at this level. Great at getting who he wants. Just not very good at evaluating talent.

That's better than not being able to develop winners. See UTC.

Apphole
February 6th, 2013, 01:08 PM

Wow! Time for your meds.

Absolutely fascinating train of thought here. Let's break it down:

Satterfield recruited players that were 2 rivals star rated or higher. Lane Kiffin recruited star athletes while he was at UT. Lane Kiffin was known for not evaluating talent. Therefore, Satterfield has misevaluated all of his recruits.

You are a gold mine, sir.

ASUMountaineer
February 6th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Wow! Time for your meds.

Satterfield recruited players that were 2 rivals star rated or higher. Lane Kiffin recruited star athletes while he was at UT. Lane Kiffin was known for not evaluating talent. Therefore, Satterfield has misevaluated all of his recruits.

I'm sure Chatty forgot that Satterfield was a walk-on. xlolx

chattownmocs
February 6th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Wow! Time for your meds.

Pretty easy. No one at this level signs only players that have a star rating. Not even the programs who can. They always find under the radar players that fit their system. So if you are telling me that none of your guys are 2 stars because you have a rivals site than I am telling you Satterfield, like kiffin, uses recruiting sites to do talent evaluation for him.

citdog
February 6th, 2013, 01:46 PM
I'm sure Chatty forgot that Satterfield was a walk-on. xlolx

I think I may have heard SOMEWHERE that Kevin Richardson was a walk on.

Apphole
February 6th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Pretty easy. No one at this level signs only players that have a star rating. Not even the programs who can. They always find under the radar players that fit their system. So if you are telling me that none of your guys are 2 stars because you have a rivals site than I am telling you Satterfield, like kiffin, uses recruiting sites to do talent evaluation for him.

Or he recruited the athletes he wanted because they were good AND fit the system, and they also happened to be touted.

You might be the only person capable of the mental gymnastics required to spin having this many high level recruits into a bad thing.

Appaholic
February 6th, 2013, 01:54 PM
That's better than not being able to develop winners. See UTC.

BAM!

ASUMountaineer
February 6th, 2013, 01:55 PM

Well, if anyone knew anything about Lane Kiffin, it would be a Vols fans such as yourself.

I think Apphole was simply saying that all of our recruits happened to have star ratings, not that Satterfield only recruited star-rated players. You have to make a big assumption to come up with that idea. Also, as you've ignored it, Satterfield was a walk-on. Why would he now shun any player under a 2-star rating. You're not the best, or the brightest, but I do admire your effort. Keep on keeping on, Chattown.

ASUMountaineer
February 6th, 2013, 01:56 PM
I think I may have heard SOMEWHERE that Kevin Richardson was a walk on.

You heard correctly.

citdog
February 6th, 2013, 01:57 PM
You heard correctly.

i was talking about that broad on espn who must have said that like 33 times during the championship game.

ASUMountaineer
February 6th, 2013, 01:58 PM
i was talking about that broad on espn who must have said that like 33 times during the championship game.

Well, bless her heart.

chattownmocs
February 6th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Well, if anyone knew anything about Lane Kiffin, it would be a Vols fans such as yourself.

I think Apphole was simply saying that all of our recruits happened to have star ratings, not that Satterfield only recruited star-rated players. You have to make a big assumption to come up with that idea. Also, as you've ignored it, Satterfield was a walk-on. Why would he now shun any player under a 2-star rating. You're not the best, or the brightest, but I do admire your effort. Keep on keeping on, Chattown.

I think what I was saying is that they happen to have star ratings because you guys have a rivals site. Following the flow of conversation in a thread is really a lost art.

ASUMountaineer
February 6th, 2013, 03:28 PM
I think what I was saying is that they happen to have star ratings because you guys have a rivals site. Following the flow of conversation in a thread is really a lost art.

Cool backtrack. Your explanation doesn't explain the ridiculous connection you tried to make between Satterfield and Kiffin. I noticed you didn't mention that at all in your post.

So, I concur with your statement that "following the flow of conversation in a thread is really a lost art." Nice regurgitation of weak smack, BTW. xthumbsupx

ElonFirefighter
February 6th, 2013, 03:31 PM
We here at (UNCC) believe we have the best class ever.

chattownmocs
February 6th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Cool backtrack. Your explanation doesn't explain the ridiculous connection you tried to make between Satterfield and Kiffin. I noticed you didn't mention that at all in your post.

So, I concur with your statement that "following the flow of conversation in a thread is really a lost art." Nice regurgitation of weak smack, BTW. xthumbsupx

Lol wow. thanks for proving the point. I gave apphole ab alternative since he wanted to deny the obvious. If you had read the thread you would know that.

344Johnson
February 6th, 2013, 05:37 PM
So Appy is going to fail because they got the kids with star ratings. I guess Notre Dame is going to go back to mediocrity because they landed a 5 star and a plethora of 4 stars. Not enough 2's and 3's. Clearly going after the already refined talent than the under the radar projects.

yorkcountyUNHfan
February 6th, 2013, 06:21 PM
We should all post our school's press releases here and then vote on who's comes closest to the original post.

Or go search for the press release from 3 or 4 years ago and see who's come closest to their current 2 deep

ASUMountaineer
February 7th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Lol wow. thanks for proving the point. I gave apphole ab alternative since he wanted to deny the obvious. If you had read the thread you would know that.

xlolx

Let's try again, I will ask just two questions:

1) How is Satterfield just like Kiffin (how do you know he only went after players with stars)?
2) What is "ab?"

xthumbsupx

chattownmocs
February 7th, 2013, 09:06 AM
xlolx

Let's try again, I will ask just two questions:

1) How is Satterfield just like Kiffin (how do you know he only went after players with stars)?
2) What is "ab?"

xthumbsupx

1. If he is recruiting players just because they have a star rating(which is pretty hard to deny if every single player in the class has one, or just a coincidence) He is just like Kiffin. More likely, the people who work for your recruiting site understand that they can get more subscription if they rate your players higher. Not very hard. Just read the thread.

2. Ab obvious typo.

ASUMountaineer
February 7th, 2013, 09:13 AM
1. If he is recruiting players just because they have a star rating(which is pretty hard to deny if every single player in the class has one, or just a coincidence) He is just like Kiffin. More likely, the people who work for your recruiting site understand that they can get more subscription if they rate your players higher. Not very hard. Just read the thread.

2. Ab obvious typo.

I get what you're saying, and I agree that it's not very hard to tell that you're pushing an assumption that is very easy to deny. You have nothing of substance to back your claim other than a recruiting class that all had been rated by Rivals. It could be that our former walk-on coach went for the players that he wanted and the ones he got happened to have star ratings from Rivals. You're not going to find a lot of people to agree with you when you start insulting coaches by comparing them to Kiffin.

So, as you said, it's not difficult to comprehend at all that Satterfield is not like Kiffin (other than being a white football HC)...unless of course you're just looking for one more thing to rip ASU on. I get it, that's your shtick, and for the most part you're a decent troll. You're not on Citdog's level yet, but you have time. Keep up the effort!

smallcollegefbfan
February 7th, 2013, 09:19 AM

Actually none of App State's former draft picks had any stars from Rivals such as Armanti Edwards, Dexter Jackson, Brian Quick, DJ Smith, and Daniel Kilgore.

Travaris Cadet only had stars because he was a FBS signing out of high school and DeAndre Presley, Jason Hunter, etc. all had no stars.

And this year I followed GSU, App, and others who may move up. Rivals gave every App player stars after they committed. That makes me think App could be moving up for sure because Rivals has never added stars to FCS commits before. I don't know exactly how many but I would guess only 3 or 4 of App's signings had stars before they committed and signed.

WH49er
February 7th, 2013, 09:23 AM
And this year I followed GSU, App, and others who may move up. Rivals gave every App player stars after they committed. That makes me think App could be moving up for sure because Rivals has never added stars to FCS commits before. I don't know exactly how many but I would guess only 3 or 4 of App's signings had stars before they committed and signed.

You don't say? Wow.

smallcollegefbfan
February 7th, 2013, 09:37 AM
You don't say? Wow.

I didn't see somone else point that out and it's worth mentioning now because while we noticed that this year I'm sure most will forget that and assume that App just went out and signed rated players this year.

I have a question. As a 49ers fan did you guys seem to battle App for recruits? I just looked to see who both schools signed but didn't follow close enough to know how many guys both programs offered?

WH49er
February 7th, 2013, 09:46 AM
I didn't see somone else point that out and it's worth mentioning now because while we noticed that this year I'm sure most will forget that and assume that App just went out and signed rated players this year.

I have a question. As a 49ers fan did you guys seem to battle App for recruits? I just looked to see who both schools signed but didn't follow close enough to know how many guys both programs offered?

We only competed for a handful of guys. I believe we got 2 guys they offered and they got 2 guys we offered.

I honestly don't care for Rivals because of our writers on there but here is our class if you are interested:

http://charlotte.247sports.com/Season/2013-Football/Commits

Apphole
February 7th, 2013, 09:49 AM
You don't say? Wow.

Not the same thing as what your guy did last year. These players had the same amount of stars from the time they were first recruited to the time they signed. The UNCC rivals guy added two stars to every recruit AFTER they signed last year. Very different things.

CID1990
February 7th, 2013, 09:55 AM
We had a 3 star recruit who was downgraded to 2 when he signed with El Cid.

Apphole
February 7th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Actually none of App State's former draft picks had any stars from Rivals such as Armanti Edwards, Dexter Jackson, Brian Quick, DJ Smith, and Daniel Kilgore.

Travaris Cadet only had stars because he was a FBS signing out of high school and DeAndre Presley, Jason Hunter, etc. all had no stars.

Actually I never said anything about draft picks.

I've followed this year's recruiting closer than any in the past and I know for a fact that the players with stars after signing day had the same amount of stars when they first showed up on our rivals site/MMB. This an utterly false assertion. I defy you to prove it.

WH49er
February 7th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Not the same thing as what your guy did last year. These players had the same amount of stars from the time they were first recruited to the time they signed. The UNCC rivals guy added two stars to every recruit AFTER they signed last year. Very different things.

Who cares about the timing when they did it. Either way, these sites shouldn't be doing that.

Apphole
February 7th, 2013, 09:59 AM
We only competed for a handful of guys. I believe we got 2 guys they offered and they got 2 guys we offered.

I honestly don't care for Rivals because of our writers on there but here is our class if you are interested:

http://charlotte.247sports.com/Season/2013-Football/Commits

One of those guys was recruited by ASU, UNCC and ECU. When his terrible GPA came out, App and ECU withdrew their offers. What a steal! We'll never be able to recruit in this state again now that big bad UNCc has started recruiting in our back year! xlolx

Apphole
February 7th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Who cares about the timing when they did it. Either way, these sites shouldn't be doing that.

Rivals stars are about 80% a reflection on demand. The more schools, especially big schools, that are interested in a player, the higher star ratting they receive. Since we do have a rivals site and many SoCon teams do not, it does usually translate to having more of our recruits rated on that site.

HOWEVER, what UNCC did last year was entirely different. They took players with many other offers and no other offers alike, and spontaneously gave them more stars the day after recruiting was over. It was disingenuous to say the least and 100% an attempt to pacify an ignorant fanbase that puts way too much stock in things like rivals stars.

WH49er
February 7th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Being the homer you are, I'm not surprised you would take up for Rivals in this instance. I knew you were dickless but blind too? Combined with your undeserving sense of accomplishment that is a dangerous combo.

Apphole
February 7th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Being the homer you are, I'm not surprised you would take up for Rivals in this instance. I knew you were dickless but blind too? Combined with your undeserving sense of accomplishment that is a dangerous combo.

Great post, man.

I'm not defending rivals, I'm trying to explain the Rivals system to noobie that clearly doesn't know how it works. The only reason you're here is because your fanbase over on ninernation or whatever is so devoid of intelligent sports conversation that you're forced to come to AGS if you want to learn your *** from a hole in the ground when it comes to football.

And undeserved sense of accomplishment!? Pot meet kettle. This is coming from a guy thats been beating his chest and trolling every App forum he can find after a CUSA invite that was 100% A PRODUCT OF YOUR LOCATION. How is that for undeserved. You think a 40-year-old final four appearance got you there? In the words of the Commander in Cheif, "You didn't build that."

You are an ignorant fool and it shows with ever sentence you utter.

ASUMountaineer
February 7th, 2013, 10:54 AM
You don't say? Wow.

Can't get enough App State, eh?

bisonnation
February 7th, 2013, 11:12 AM

The star rating system is flawed. Our 2009 and 2010 classes were the foundation of our back to back National Championships. I just looked back and we had 10 "2 star" recruits. Of the 10, 5 are either no longer on the team, left due to injury, and/or never contributed regularly. Some of our best guys have no rating or dont even have a rivals page!

It boils down to whether or not they fit your system and long term development. Also offers is a good indicator. Is your conference strong and are you winning in conference recruiting battles?

That being said, Appy has one heck of a recruiting class. I think Southerners are typically covered better than Midwest though. You guys just flat out have more schools.

CrazyCat
February 7th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Sac. State and Portland State get the most "stars" every year in the Big Sky.

clenz
February 7th, 2013, 11:31 AM
NDSU has found a way, the day after signing day, to steal Alabama's entire recruiting class....

Only to turn around and tell them - "Actually, you aren't good enough to be a BiSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSon, you can go back to that dump of a program in Alabama"

bisonnation
February 7th, 2013, 11:36 AM
NDSU has found a way, the day after signing day, to steal Alabama's entire recruiting class....

Only to turn around and tell them - "Actually, you aren't good enough to be a BiSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSon, you can go back to that dump of a program in Alabama"

Keep running through a garage door and stockpiling conference championship banners. We're so jealous. Wanna trade for a few real banners?

clenz
February 7th, 2013, 11:46 AM
I've never witnessed a fanbase be so ****ing uptight as NDSU's.....

Holy ****.

bisonnation
February 7th, 2013, 01:28 PM
I've never witnessed a fanbase be so ****ing uptight as NDSU's.....

Holy ****.

If you post smack, expect a smack response. I don't attack unless I'm provoked.