PDA

View Full Version : Top 25 SC recruits

CID1990
January 28th, 2013, 08:01 AM
From The State newspaper:

http://www.thestate.com/2013/01/27/2607108/top-25-recruits-in-south-carolina.html#.UQXCYI5u-QI

El Cid snagged one of the RBs. We poached 3 from Air Force this year, as well. This might be Higgins' best recruiting class, and we are only signing 15-16, I think.

EKU-n-GSU
January 28th, 2013, 08:13 AM
I believe you picked up a QB from my son's HS - Jantzen Jeffrey from South Forsyth in Cumming, GA. Tough as nails, runs the spread option very, very well, and played safety early in HS so knows the routes from both sides of the ball. Last I saw he was 6'-1"/200 lbs., runs in the 4.6-4.75 range. He turned down AFA to be closer to home...he's a good kid - take care of him!

PaladinFan
January 28th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Air Force is probably the single school Furman goes head to head against the most every season. It is a bit incongruous to think of a Colorado school recruiting heavily in the deep south, but AFA's roster is substantially made up of recruits from the deep south.

The Citadel's got some nice players coming in. They, like Furman, will not have a huge class. Both are young teams without a large crop of outgoing seniors.

CID1990
January 28th, 2013, 10:11 AM
It seems we do get a number of kids who are heaviily recruited by the service academies. Our current QB- Dupree- was heading to Navy.

I fell into that category as well; I had an appointment to Navy but decided I liked El Cid a little more, and the ability to not have to decide on a military obligation until I was older was a big plus.

The academies cast a wide net, so it really isnt all that surprising to see some of those recruits going to VMI or The Citadel. They already fit the profile, it just mainly comes down to geography, and not being sure if you want to be obligated to the military at 18 years old.

Our coaching staff seems to be chomping at the bit for signing day; they have been dropping hints (on Twitter for instance) that this class is going to make the team better immediately. Coming off a winning season, that's great news.

chattownmocs
January 28th, 2013, 10:43 AM
What happened to South Carolina being a solid talent producing state. Wow, they are now one of the worst in the southeast. Probably only better than Kentucky.

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 28th, 2013, 10:58 AM
What happened to South Carolina being a solid talent producing state. Wow, they are now one of the worst in the southeast. Probably only better than Kentucky.

Because one of the backs wants to go to El Cid? Backs are attraced to the option offense the same way QBs are attracted to pass-heavy spread offenses. Think it's any coincidence that the two best power runners in the FCS from this past year were at Wofford and GSU?

Apphole
January 28th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Because one of the backs wants to go to El Cid? Backs are attraced to the option offense the same way QBs are attracted to pass-heavy spread offenses. Think it's any coincidence that the two best power runners in the FCS from this past year were at Wofford and GSU?

I'm not agreeing with chattown's flame post by any means, but it is surprising to see so many sub-par teams pulling players from this list. Sub-par meaning non SEC teams. UNCC, El Cid and Air Force really shouldn't be taking top 25 talent from any state, especially SC. There was a time when this list would have been 100% SEC/ACC.

straightshooter
January 28th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Just checked the recruiting services (Rivals, Scout, ESPN and 247 Sports and none of them had the Renew kid listed. Makes me wonder who decided he was a Top 25 player.

CID1990
January 28th, 2013, 11:59 AM
I'm not agreeing with chattown's flame post by any means, but it is surprising to see so many sub-par teams pulling players from this list. Sub-par meaning non SEC teams. UNCC, El Cid and Air Force really shouldn't be taking top 25 talent from any state, especially SC. There was a time when this list would have been 100% SEC/ACC.

huh?

Georgia
Ohio State
Clemson
South Carolina
Clemson
Tennessee
South Carolina
South Carolina
UConn
B.C., N.C. State, Toledo
East Carolina
ECU, UK, Minn., Ind
N.C. State
Clemson
UK, N.C. State, Ole Miss
East Carolina
Clemson
East Carolina
Wake Forest
Charlotte
Kentucky
Navy
The Citadel
Duke
uncommitted

Chattown's just a troll.

But you on the other hand should know that sometimes kids choose schools for reasons other than playing in the SEC.

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 28th, 2013, 12:02 PM

FWIW, Jerrick McKinnon was first team AJC all State.

chattownmocs
January 28th, 2013, 12:05 PM

No because after seeing that the Citadel got the "number 23 player in the state," I was very impressed. Then I went and saw that there really aren't that many FBS prospects at all. South Carolina used to have much more talent than they do this year at least.

chattownmocs
January 28th, 2013, 12:07 PM
huh?

Georgia
Ohio State
Clemson
South Carolina
Clemson
Tennessee
South Carolina
South Carolina
UConn
B.C., N.C. State, Toledo
East Carolina
ECU, UK, Minn., Ind
N.C. State
Clemson
UK, N.C. State, Ole Miss
East Carolina
Clemson
East Carolina
Wake Forest
Charlotte
Kentucky
Navy
The Citadel
Duke
uncommitted

Chattown's just a troll.

But you on the other hand should know that sometimes kids choose schools for reasons other than playing in the SEC.

Not a very great list for the top 25 players in the state in the southeast. It's still above average nationally but South Carolina used to dwarf a state like Tennessee in these type of lists and this year Tennessee is better when it comes to producing top talent. Hate to break it you.

chattownmocs
January 28th, 2013, 12:12 PM
FWIW, Jerrick McKinnon was first team AJC all State.

He was a solid 3 star prospect. But by comparison he wasn't even in the Georgia top 75 for 2010. This year Georgia has well over 100 3+ star prospects by all of the major recruiting services this year. South Carolina averages less than 20.

Apphole
January 28th, 2013, 12:17 PM
huh?

Georgia
Ohio State
Clemson
South Carolina
Clemson
Tennessee
South Carolina
South Carolina
UConn
B.C., N.C. State, Toledo
East Carolina
ECU, UK, Minn., Ind
N.C. State
Clemson
UK, N.C. State, Ole Miss
East Carolina
Clemson
East Carolina
Wake Forest
Charlotte
Kentucky
Navy
The Citadel
Duke
uncommitted

Chattown's just a troll.

Yeah I read the list. Just saying, for a list of top 25 recruits in a historically excellent recruiting state like South Carolina, one would assume the schools listed would be bigger/better. You're right about kids choosing smaller for more PT ect, but the top 25 recruits from SC should be getting PT at SEC/ACC schools pretty soon. Just seemed odd to me.

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 28th, 2013, 12:30 PM
He was a solid 3 star prospect. But by comparison he wasn't even in the Georgia top 75 for 2010. This year Georgia has well over 100 3+ star prospects by all of the major recruiting services this year. South Carolina averages less than 20.

According to who?

chattownmocs
January 28th, 2013, 12:34 PM
According to who?

Rivals

Sandlapper Spike
January 28th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Just checked the recruiting services (Rivals, Scout, ESPN and 247 Sports and none of them had the Renew kid listed. Makes me wonder who decided he was a Top 25 player.

Renew attends a small private school in the Columbia area. I wonder if that is a factor in the various services not listing him.

CID1990
January 28th, 2013, 12:58 PM

I dont know where The State got their info.

CID1990
January 28th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Not a very great list for the top 25 players in the state in the southeast. It's still above average nationally but South Carolina used to dwarf a state like Tennessee in these type of lists and this year Tennessee is better when it comes to producing top talent. Hate to break it you.

If you want to measure d!cks, Chattown, I'll be glad to send you an 8x12. I could care less about Tennessee or the price of a piece of a$$ in North Dakota, for that matter. We pulled down a good recruit among a class full of good recruits, that's all. You arent "breaking" anything to me. Congrats on TN producing world class talent. Just hope they don't go to UTC since that place has a habit of underutilizing the world's best football players.

Apphole
January 28th, 2013, 01:12 PM
If you want to measure d!cks, Chattown, I'll be glad to send you an 8x12.

And he'll need every pixel.

chattownmocs
January 28th, 2013, 01:18 PM
If you want to measure d!cks, Chattown, I'll be glad to send you an 8x12. I could care less about Tennessee or the price of a piece of a$$ in North Dakota, for that matter. We pulled down a good recruit among a class full of good recruits, that's all. You arent "breaking" anything to me. Congrats on TN producing world class talent. Just hope they don't go to UTC since that place has a habit of underutilizing the world's best football players.

How do you know you have a good recruiting class?

CID1990
January 28th, 2013, 01:48 PM
How do you know you have a good recruiting class?

You don't. Nobody does.

You should know better than anyone that having a bunch of great talent and stars does not equate to championships.

chattownmocs
January 28th, 2013, 02:30 PM
You don't. Nobody does.

You should know better than anyone that having a bunch of great talent and stars does not equate to championships.

You do realize that Huesman's first true recruiting class are just now about to be seniors right?

CID1990
January 28th, 2013, 03:04 PM
You do realize that Huesman's first true recruiting class are just now about to be seniors right?

And you've been predicting SoCon dominance since they were in the 9th grade.

Guess their 4th year is the charm, but shouldn't the most athlietic and talented football players in the multiverse have been making an impact before their senior year?

chattownmocs
January 28th, 2013, 04:30 PM
And you've been predicting SoCon dominance since they were in the 9th grade.

Guess their 4th year is the charm, but shouldn't the most athlietic and talented football players in the multiverse have been making an impact before their senior year?

Blah Blah Blah. We have had a tie or share of the lead in every FCS game but one in the 4th quarter the last 3 years. We have dominant players at every level defensively. We have arguably the best DT, DE, LB, CB, and S heading into 2013. We are one of the most talented teams at this level. Our guys have come up short in a lot of games but they are always there with a chance to win in the 4th quarter. If our team get's any better, we aren't even going to have to worry about many close games. Kind of scary for a team that has 10 offensive and 9 defensive starters returning as well as an upgrade at OC.

The Citadel is a system. They are going to give a lot of teams problems just because of the system they run, but they aren't championship contender, they are going to take as many beatings as they give out.

CID1990
January 28th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Blah Blah Blah. We have had a tie or share of the lead in every FCS game but one in the 4th quarter the last 3 years. We have dominant players at every level defensively. We have arguably the best DT, DE, LB, CB, and S heading into 2013. We are one of the most talented teams at this level. Our guys have come up short in a lot of games but they are always there with a chance to win in the 4th quarter. If our team get's any better, we aren't even going to have to worry about many close games. Kind of scary for a team that has 10 offensive and 9 defensive starters returning as well as an upgrade at OC.

The Citadel is a system. They are going to give a lot of teams problems just because of the system they run, but they aren't championship contender, they are going to take as many beatings as they give out.

You sing off the same sheet of music every year, Chatt. Gotta love your optimism. One day you'll be right... like a broken clock.

Reign of Terrier
January 28th, 2013, 08:17 PM
lolz at the whole SC produces low talent thing....

In the last 7 or so years there have been pro-bowlers, first round draft picks All SEC players, etc that have come out of the palmetto state.

On the top of my head, Sidney Rice, Bowers (?) from Clemson, Stephon Gilmore, Jadaveon Clowney, Ben Watson (former TE for the New England Patriots), Armanti Edwards, Gatorade national player of the year a few years ago and contender for the starting position at UTK Justin Worley, record setting UNC receiver Quinshad Davis, AJ Green receiver for the Bengals, and the list goes on.

^just on the top of my head.

As for the thread title itself, Wofford, the citadel, Furman, Air Force, and Navy compete for a lot of players, wofford has rarely beaten out the service academies for players but has beaten out Furman and El Cid plenty.

seantaylor
January 29th, 2013, 02:24 AM
There is some merit to what Chatty boy is saying. South Carolina is not what it was in the past when it comes to football talent. Why that is, I'm not sure.

PaladinFan
January 29th, 2013, 06:54 AM

...if Ingle Martin had not slipped on ice in Boone or Ced Gipson fumbled on the one against James Madison Furman might have three national titles instead of one.

Nobody cares how many games you almost didn't lose.

PaladinFan
January 29th, 2013, 06:57 AM
lolz at the whole SC produces low talent thing....

In the last 7 or so years there have been pro-bowlers, first round draft picks All SEC players, etc that have come out of the palmetto state.

On the top of my head, Sidney Rice, Bowers (?) from Clemson, Stephon Gilmore, Jadaveon Clowney, Ben Watson (former TE for the New England Patriots), Armanti Edwards, Gatorade national player of the year a few years ago and contender for the starting position at UTK Justin Worley, record setting UNC receiver Quinshad Davis, AJ Green receiver for the Bengals, and the list goes on.

^just on the top of my head.

As for the thread title itself, Wofford, the citadel, Furman, Air Force, and Navy compete for a lot of players, wofford has rarely beaten out the service academies for players but has beaten out Furman and El Cid plenty.

We did get a linebacker from Alabama this year that Wofford offered. Hurrah. Interestingly, Furman has had success in getting some of those players lost to the service academies as transfers.

South Carolina has 1/2 the population of Georgia. Georgia's population is about 1/3 that of Florida's. Both of those state's have better talent, which isn't entirely shocking, considering they have much larger populations. South Carolina has 9 division 1 football schools, and is in close proximity to numerous large programs. Hard to produce enough talent to spread around to all of that.

I will say that there is some merit, I think, to the argument. With Furman in particular, I've noticed a dearth in recruits from South Carolina.

chattownmocs
January 29th, 2013, 07:26 AM
...if Ingle Martin had not slipped on ice in Boone or Ced Gipson fumbled on the one against James Madison Furman might have three national titles instead of one.

Nobody cares how many games you almost didn't lose.

Is Ingle Martin suiting up this year? How about Gipson?

PaladinFan
January 29th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Is Ingle Martin suiting up this year? How about Gipson?

You are missing the point.

Nobody cares that UTC cannot win close games. It does not make them some sort of sleeper team. Nobody cares that Furman was a couple of freak plays away from playing for two more national titles. The games happened. The winning team won.

It is a losing argument to say that your team is better than they are perceived because they manage to fall flat on their face in the fourth quarter of one game after another. Show up and win the game.

CID1990
January 29th, 2013, 07:56 AM

Nobody cares that UTC cannot win close games. It does not make them some sort of sleeper team. Nobody cares that Furman was a couple of freak plays away from playing for two more national titles. The games happened. The winning team won.

It is a losing argument to say that your team is better than they are perceived because they manage to fall flat on their face in the fourth quarter of one game after another. Show up and win the game.

If I use Chattown's formula, El Cid has beaten ASU 3 out of the last 4.

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 29th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Using Chattown's formula, UTC has never beaten GSU.

Apphole
January 29th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Using Chattown's formula, the Axis won WWII.

This could be fun.

chattownmocs
January 29th, 2013, 09:32 AM

It's a losing argument to claim that there is no difference between losing a game by a play or 2 and getting beaten down. It is a losing argument to claim that a team that can play with anyone that is put in front of them(and always does) is not a legitimate contender with this much talent returning. If Chattanooga improves, they may not be in very many close games.

Apphole
January 29th, 2013, 09:36 AM
It's a losing argument to claim that there is no difference between losing a game by a play or 2 and getting beaten down. It is a losing argument to claim that a team that can play with anyone that is put in front of them(and always does) is not a legitimate contender with this much talent returning. If Chattanooga improves, they may not be in very many close games.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, and I'm shattownmocs.

Same story different year. You're a broken record until September when you disappear. It didn't happen the last 3 times you said it would, so why should we believe you now?

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

CID1990
January 29th, 2013, 10:03 AM

I gotta go back and tell the Virginia Lottery people that that ticket I had that was off by just two numbers should be honored as a winning tikky.

walliver
January 29th, 2013, 10:46 AM
We did get a linebacker from Alabama this year that Wofford offered. Hurrah. Interestingly, Furman has had success in getting some of those players lost to the service academies as transfers.

South Carolina has 1/2 the population of Georgia. Georgia's population is about 1/3 that of Florida's. Both of those state's have better talent, which isn't entirely shocking, considering they have much larger populations. South Carolina has 9 division 1 football schools, and is in close proximity to numerous large programs. Hard to produce enough talent to spread around to all of that.

I will say that there is some merit, I think, to the argument. With Furman in particular, I've noticed a dearth in recruits from South Carolina.

A large number of Wofford recruits come from Georgia, and I suspect a lot of FU recruits also. Georgia has no private schools playing D-I football. UGA, GT, and GSU are the only schools with decent D-I teams (I will not count Savannah State). Mercer hasn't started yet, and is non-scholarship.

The list of top 25 recruits, however, show very few players going to big time schools out of the state, so it does appear to be a down year.

AppChicago
January 30th, 2013, 02:53 PM
If Chatty ever beats App again, I'd hate to be the one who has to mop up whatever room Chattownmocs is in when it happens.

CID1990
January 30th, 2013, 04:08 PM
If Chatty ever beats App again, I'd hate to be the one who has to mop up whatever room Chattownmocs is in when it happens.

This year might be do or die for UTC. If they don't pull it off this time it will be another 50 years before they once again have the most talented team in the universe.

PaladinNation
January 30th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Furman under Fowler appears to be recruiting Tennessee and Florida harder, and it appears to be paying off;
Woodruff and McCarter both played for TN in the border bowl against KY. Furman has three commits from FLA, possibly more.

As for the future it will be interesting to see if Furman's recruiting footprint moves north. Lacrosse is drawing some pretty good players to Greenville, and Furman admissions is targeting students from the north (more can pay full tuition). I think we will see football following Coach Meade's footsteps.

citdog
January 30th, 2013, 09:22 PM
Furman under Fowler appears to be recruiting Tennessee and Florida harder, and it appears to be paying off;
Woodruff and McCarter both played for TN in the border bowl against KY. Furman has three commits from FLA, possibly more.

As for the future it will be interesting to see if Furman's recruiting footprint moves north. Lacrosse is drawing some pretty good players to Greenville, and Furman admissions is targeting students from the north (more can pay full tuition). I think we will see football following Coach Meade's footsteps.

We will whip their yankee ***.