PDA

View Full Version : GSU Welcomes FBS Transfer & Recruiting News

blueballs
January 26th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Some good information...

http://m.savannahnow.com/sports/2013-01-25/ex-calvary-star-stephen-williams-transfers-gsu

Horseshoe App
January 26th, 2013, 02:25 PM
I believe Haymes flipped to WCU. That is sort of weird. You just don't see people typically choose WCU over GSU. It must be that great Appalachian connection:)

citdog
January 26th, 2013, 02:31 PM
it's also hilarious that even the newspaper in Savannah thinks the eagles are moving up.......moving up WHERE?

the same article mentions a non qualifier who will play next season so perhaps gsu IS ready for the fbs after all.

PaladinFan
January 26th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Kind of unique to have three commits from same high school.

Eaglesrus
January 26th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Kind of unique to have three commits from same high school.

Well then, you'll probably find it interesting that we did it last year, too, but then it was South Pointe High School of Rock Hill, SC.

ThompsonThe
January 28th, 2013, 12:56 AM
GaSo sounds like they have a good pick up. They always recruit well. They were even still recruiting in December, adding a soccer player as kicker for the NDSU game. If he had really worked out well they would have won that game. Can see why Monken says he may even pick up two kickers.

seantaylor
January 28th, 2013, 01:13 AM
Don't really ever like picking up transfers, but at least this was one that was committed to us before Pitt came in in the 25th Hour. I'm sure we would have landed him had the Hatcher years not been so fresh.

Apphole
January 28th, 2013, 09:02 AM
it's also hilarious that even the newspaper in Savannah thinks the eagles are moving up.......moving up WHERE?

the same article mentions a non qualifier who will play next season so perhaps gsu IS ready for the fbs after all.

I admire you Stink fans for ignoring this troll post. He has derailed countless Appalachian threads with this nonsense.

rbostic278
January 28th, 2013, 09:50 AM
He may be a troll but there is a little truth in his post. That's the ugly side of recruiting that the big boys don't talk about.

SpeedkingATL
January 28th, 2013, 10:08 AM
It appears that GaSo will certainly have a stable of good running backs AGAIN. I do admire the way they used lots of running backs during the season with no apparent dropoff no matter who is getting the carries. When Swopes missed the App game a walk on (Banks) even gashed the App defense over and over again. The only reason I can see a RB choosing Whee over GaSo would be the opportunity to be THE feature back and get 20+ carries a game. Of course that same back would see a lot more daylight downfield playing with the Eagles.

citdog
January 28th, 2013, 10:11 AM
I admire you Stink fans for ignoring this troll post. He has derailed countless Appalachian threads with this nonsense.

the nonsense is the two of you thinking that anybody else wants you.

THEY DON"T

ASUMountaineer
January 28th, 2013, 10:17 AM

THEY DON"T

Except for Citdog...he desperately wants ASU and GSU to stay in the SoCon. He can't get enough ASU and GSU.

Apphole
January 28th, 2013, 10:22 AM

THEY DON"T

We will secede from your union and we will do so very soon. "those who never held power over us shall not now attempt our subjugation by arms.”

The Eagle's Cliff

THEY DON"T

We're used to it at Georgia Southern. The SoCon didn't/doesn't want us either. Whether it's The Citadel and Furman in the SoCon or ULL and ULM in the Sun Belt, conference mainstays would never want a school like Ga Southern coming into the conference to kick their *** for the next several years. Or do you think it's a coincidence that The Citadel hasn't won a title since GSU joined and Furman has won 2 compared to the 9 in 12 years they won before GSU joined?

citdog
Except for Citdog...he desperately wants ASU and GSU to stay in the SoCon. He can't get enough ASU and GSU.

of course we want you to stay. it's fun to beat you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50Ees0HMS8I

Apphole
January 28th, 2013, 10:25 AM

Jesus, how many bags does that one hotel patron have and why on earth did they leave their luggage on a football field for the bell boys to have to go pick up? Some people are just jerks.

citdog
January 28th, 2013, 10:26 AM
We will secede from your union and we will do so very soon. "those who never held power over us shall not now attempt our subjugation by arms.”

although we burned you with some passes we subjugated you both with our legs.

ASUMountaineer
January 28th, 2013, 10:28 AM

I'm glad y'all beat GSU...I pull for any team against GSU.

asumike83
January 28th, 2013, 10:31 AM

I'm sure it is. The 17 losses undoubtedly made those 3 wins in the last 20 seasons extra special.

citdog
January 28th, 2013, 10:46 AM
I'm sure it is. The 17 losses undoubtedly made those 3 wins in the last 20 seasons extra special.

what happened the last time we played?

ASUMountaineer
January 28th, 2013, 10:57 AM

For someone so concerned with history, you sure do kick it to the curb when it comes to Citadel football. I guess I can see why. xnodx

GlassOnion
January 28th, 2013, 10:58 AM

You'll need to start worrying about the next time we play. Youre gonna get thumped. Shoot last year, Sean Price didnt even play, and the Cit had lulled App to sleep by sucking for 2 decades.

Apphole
January 28th, 2013, 11:00 AM

And people say App fans hang our hats on one win...

You are a perennial bottom feeder in an FCS league that got hot twice in one year. No one is taking you seriously.

citdog
January 28th, 2013, 11:01 AM
You'll need to start worrying about the next time we play. Youre gonna get thumped. Shoot last year, Sean Price didnt even play, and the Cit had lulled App to sleep by sucking for 2 decades.

Julio Jones could have suited up for you in boone and it wouldn't have mattered.

The result will be the same in General Johnson Hagood, CSA, Stadium this fall. the only difference will be that you don't get to 28pts.

citdog
January 28th, 2013, 11:03 AM
And people say App fans hang our hats on one win...

You are a perennial bottom feeder in an FCS league that got hot twice in one year. No one is taking you seriously.

want to watch the video again?

Apphole
January 28th, 2013, 11:04 AM
The result will be the same in General Johnson Hagood, CSA, Stadium this fall. the only difference will be that you don't get to 28pts.

xlolx No one, especially not el cid, will hold us under 28 points this year. We have three of the four best receivers in the FCS and a stud senior QB.

GlassOnion
January 28th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Julio Jones could have suited up for you in boone and it wouldn't have mattered.

Gonna have to rename it George Armstrong Custer, KIA, Stadium. The only difference will be that the Cit wont last 28 minutes.

citdog
January 28th, 2013, 11:07 AM
xlolx No one, especially not el cid, will hold us under 28 points this year. We have three of the four best receivers in the FCS and a stud senior QB.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-PahzOqPctdg/UMiikqgS_OI/AAAAAAAADE8/Y93vp3xCdcM/s1600/Mohammed_Saeed_al-Sahaf.jpg

ASUMountaineer
January 28th, 2013, 12:10 PM

1) Do you mean how it didn't matter that JJ was suited up for the Dirty Turds from Shatlanta against San Fran?

2) Would you like to put a bet behind that guarantee?

seantaylor
January 29th, 2013, 02:20 AM

No you don't

ASUMountaineer
January 29th, 2013, 07:29 AM
1) Do you mean how it didn't matter that JJ was suited up for the Dirty Turds from Shatlanta against San Fran?

Why the silence Citpuppy?

Apphole
January 29th, 2013, 08:26 AM
No you don't

Eh...I guess it's difficult to rate them at this point nationally, but Price, Peacock and Washington have as much claim as any IMO. You would be hard pressed to justify saying they're not the top 3 in the SoCon now that Mellette is gone.

ASUMountaineer
January 29th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Eh...I guess it's difficult to rate them at this point nationally, but Price, Peacock and Washington have as much claim as any IMO. You would be hard pressed to justify saying they're not the top 3 in the SoCon now that Mellette is gone.

I don't know about being 3 of the best 4 WR in the country. However, I think there is a case to be made that ASU will return one of, if not, the best WR corps in the country.

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 29th, 2013, 08:48 AM

Not sure what you're saying here. Julio would obviously make a greater impact on a team in the FCS than he would in an NFC championship game.

blueballs
January 29th, 2013, 08:55 AM
I don't know about being 3 of the best 4 WR in the country. However, I think there is a case to be made that ASU will return one of, if not, the best WR corps in the country.

I'll buy that... Price is a difference maker at this level.

As for holding App under 28, I'm sure somebody will and it is usually turnovers that do it.

Prior to 2012's 31-28 game the last two meetings between GSU and App had scores in the teens, so I wonder how the next installment in the rivalry will play out. One thing's for sure, both teams have a lot coming back offensively so one would think it would be a shootout but you never know.

Apphole
January 29th, 2013, 09:31 AM

As for holding App under 28, I'm sure somebody will and it is usually turnovers that do it.

Prior to 2012's 31-28 game the last two meetings between GSU and App had scores in the teens, so I wonder how the next installment in the rivalry will play out. One thing's for sure, both teams have a lot coming back offensively so one would think it would be a shootout but you never know.

The addition of Woody obviously doesn't mean we're gonna have Wofford's D next year right off the bat, but I am MUCH more confident in our ability to defend the triple option, something I don't think I've ever been able to say. It will be tough sledding for GaSo on Black Saturday this year, but then again, it was tough sledding for us in Stinkboro this past year. You can never tell in a real rivalry game and I feel like we're overdue for a loss to you guys.

ASUMountaineer
January 29th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Not sure what you're saying here. Julio would obviously make a greater impact on a team in the FCS than he would in an NFC championship game.

You need to read what Citdog said, and then it should become clear.

But, I'll break it down for you. He said that Julio Jones suiting up for ASU would have made no difference in the final score and outcome of the Citadel/ASU game. Obviously that's a fallacy, but I really just wanted to get a dig in on his team--the Failcons. I hope that clears it up.

ASUMountaineer
January 29th, 2013, 10:02 AM

The 2013 installment should be a blast. It's certainly circled on my calendar.

GATA_Eagles
January 29th, 2013, 11:54 AM
The 2013 installment should be a blast. It's certainly circled on my calendar.

Will be making my second trip up to Boone, probably my first away trip as a graduate

SpiritCymbal
January 29th, 2013, 11:56 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Jay-Ellison-126975

Committed over the weekend.

Looking at the schools that offered him, I have to immediately assume that he doesn't have the grades to qualify and those SEC schools pulled their offer. Hope I'm wrong, but I'm cautiously optimistic to see him on campus soon. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that he's going somewhere else in the fall to get his grades up and then open up his recruiting again.

ASUMountaineer
January 29th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Will be making my second trip up to Boone, probably my first away trip as a graduate

Nice!

citdog
January 29th, 2013, 12:38 PM

Don't worry about buying a pair of shoes for the trip. Yosefs don't wear them either.

GSU EAGLES
January 29th, 2013, 07:51 PM
Don't worry about buying a pair of shoes for the trip. Yosefs don't wear them either.

CItdog, just remember that both Ga Southern and App State both have blown past Citadel for average freshman SAT.

citdog
January 29th, 2013, 08:02 PM
CItdog, just remember that both Ga Southern and App State both have blown past Citadel for average freshman SAT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR2KvwRZ5Ec

Horseshoe App
January 30th, 2013, 05:55 AM
I'm glad you guys finally allowed women in your school. That great Citadel education got them jobs in your cafeteria!! Next thing you know they will be asking customers if they want to super size their meal.

Apphole
January 30th, 2013, 08:35 AM

Please don't place Appalachian and Georgia Southern in the same sentence when it comes to admission standards and academics. Thanks.

Otherwise, I agree. El Cid is the poor man's West Point.

citdog
January 30th, 2013, 09:02 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxjFt7H1h0A

The Cadets would have liked Beer and Hookers more than what the Genl offered.

Lehigh'98
January 31st, 2013, 07:14 PM
GSU gets perhaps their most important recruit, kicker Young Hoe Koo (great name). Out of Bergen Count NJ, offer from JMU. Virginia and Rutgers also interested. This was their weakest link last year.

PaladinFan
January 31st, 2013, 08:54 PM
GSU gets perhaps their most important recruit, kicker Young Hoe Koo (great name). Out of Bergen Count NJ, offer from JMU. Virginia and Rutgers also interested. This was their weakest link last year.

Far be it of me to critique GSU, but a quick glance at their roster indicates the Eagles have six place kickers (not counting punters) and all but one are freshmen. Now apparently they've brought on another. I am sure some are not scholarship players...but still.

With an option offense that has been nearly unstoppable at times, you would think GSU would just start going for two instead of trying to find every warm body that can swing a leg to suit up.

straightshooter
January 31st, 2013, 09:24 PM
Went from a guy with like 160 straight extra points (NCAA record) to a bunch of guys who just couldn't get it done. My guess is that the K number on the GSU roster will shrink quite a bit before September. The kid from NJ has a big leg, but so do some of those who can't perform under pressure. Let's hope he can. GSU would have lost only to UGA last season with a decent kicker.

seantaylor
February 1st, 2013, 12:39 AM
Xavier Tobler

Baldy
February 1st, 2013, 07:57 AM

Talent isn't an issue. The only question mark is how will he do under pressure?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qxzy9kcjRk

blueballs
February 1st, 2013, 10:56 AM

Understatement of the year and it is only Feb 1...

blueballs
February 1st, 2013, 11:04 AM
Far be it of me to critique GSU, but a quick glance at their roster indicates the Eagles have six place kickers (not counting punters) and all but one are freshmen. Now apparently they've brought on another. I am sure some are not scholarship players...but still.

With an option offense that has been nearly unstoppable at times, you would think GSU would just start going for two instead of trying to find every warm body that can swing a leg to suit up.

Further examination of the game situations will reveal that a LOT of GSU's FG woes came at the end of games and halves, where the offense would drive to a point on the field with very little time remaining only to have the kicker s--t the bed.

GSU missed a last second kick under 30 yds which would have defeated the Citadel, missed a last second FG that would have defeated Chatty (although they later won in OT), and missed kicks right before halftime against Furman, App, UGA, and ODU- all of which were huge momentum shifts.

Straightshooter makes a good point... if GSU had an even average kicker in 2012 they would have gone 10-1 and have been hosting NDSU, and who knows what would have happened then?

Also, kickers are very rarely given schollies so the roster situation will work itself out.

SpiritCymbal
February 2nd, 2013, 01:55 PM
Supposedly got a verbal from another 3-star ATH. Would love to see him learn to play DB if possible.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Erick-Hayward-126783
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XhHoDJ5vvUo

CID1990
February 2nd, 2013, 07:10 PM
Further examination of the game situations will reveal that a LOT of GSU's FG woes came at the end of games and halves, where the offense would drive to a point on the field with very little time remaining only to have the kicker s--t the bed.

GSU missed a last second kick under 30 yds which would have defeated the Citadel, missed a last second FG that would have defeated Chatty (although they later won in OT), and missed kicks right before halftime against Furman, App, UGA, and ODU- all of which were huge momentum shifts.

Straightshooter makes a good point... if GSU had an even average kicker in 2012 they would have gone 10-1 and have been hosting NDSU, and who knows what would have happened then?

Also, kickers are very rarely given schollies so the roster situation will work itself out.

If if if El Cid had a kicker last year GSU woulda woulda woulda lost at the Stink

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 2nd, 2013, 07:58 PM
If if if El Cid had a kicker last year GSU woulda woulda woulda lost at the Stink

True, but you missed one 37 yarder in windy conditions and we missed two from 31 yards with no wind.

citdog
February 2nd, 2013, 08:10 PM
True, but you missed one 37 yarder in windy conditions and we missed two from 31 yards with no wind.

one was rejected by Cadet Domonic Jones right before the half

straightshooter
February 2nd, 2013, 08:37 PM
one was rejected by Cadet Domonic Jones right before the half

Your guy got credit, but he didn't block it. The kicker kicked it into our OL guys, so it had no chance long before you had a player near it.

BisonFan02
February 2nd, 2013, 08:42 PM

Disagree...if GSU goes 10-1, without getting in an argument about 1 vs 2 seed, GSU and NDSU would have been on opposite sides of the bracket with a potential date in Frisco. IF GSU could take care of business, they wouldn't have had to worry about making the trip to Fargo, but they didn't.

straightshooter
February 2nd, 2013, 08:45 PM
Supposedly got a verbal from another 3-star ATH. Would love to see him learn to play DB if possible.

Not sure what the deal is with Hayward He actually was a class of 2012 recruit, and there's not much on where he went. Might be like some kids who are late qualifiers.

seantaylor
February 3rd, 2013, 12:49 AM

Great signing. Was hoping we'd land him. Perfect free safety.

blueballs
February 3rd, 2013, 08:33 AM
Disagree...if GSU goes 10-1, without getting in an argument about 1 vs 2 seed, GSU and NDSU would have been on opposite sides of the bracket with a potential date in Frisco. IF GSU could take care of business, they wouldn't have had to worry about making the trip to Fargo, but they didn't.

Can't argue with any of that...

GATA
February 4th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Please don't place Appalachian and Georgia Southern in the same sentence when it comes to admission standards and academics. Thanks.

AVERAGE APP STATE FRESHMAN (SAT):

Math: 574
Verbal: 567

51% acceptance rate.

AVERAGE GEORGIA SOUTHERN FRESHMAN (SAT):

Math: 558
Verbal: 554

49% acceptance rate.

...App State CLEARLY an academic juggernaut...

both schools looking pretty ****ing average to me. Do you actually walk around PROUD of App State admissions standards? That's ****ing sad. You're essentially telling the guy who drives the Honda Accord that your Toyota Camry is far superior. Cut the bull****. Nobody is buying it.

GATA
February 4th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Great signing. Was hoping we'd land him. Perfect free safety.

You don't know ****.

rbostic278
February 5th, 2013, 07:30 AM
Great article on a 3 star commit who had offers to Auburn,UNC along with other BCS schools. DT Jay Ellison http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2013/02/04/2370860/harris-county-football-defensive.html