PDA

View Full Version : Temple AD Speaks on C7 Schools

superman7515
January 22nd, 2013, 03:54 PM
A few bits from AD Bill Bradshaw of Temple on the C7 teams (more at the link)....

http://thecherry.temple-news.com/2013/01/20/bradshaw-talks-big-east-meeting-remains-optimistic-for-future/

On Catholic 7 leaving Big East basketball:
“They should’ve left. They should have probably left a while ago. I always thought the Big East was built on a fault, a fault that was going to have an earthquake sometime. Those schools should’ve gotten out much sooner. There’s really only one school in there that we’ll miss playing, and that’s Georgetown. I’m not sure Depaul, Providence, St. John’s or Seton Hall would bring anymore people than Xavier or Dayton did in our league. That’s really not a significant loss for us. The league has much more common denominators for the institutions now.”

On whether Big East basketball profile has suffered:
“It suffers for them more. If you’re Villanova you lost in the last seven years, Notre Dame, Connecticut, Cincinnati…it would have been Temple, Memphis, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, West Virginia. We never played in that league. We didn’t lose anything. We were playing in a league with St. Bonaventure, Duquesne, Fordham, Rhode Island, Charlotte. That’s the league we were in. The league we’re going in is much better in basketball.”

On Catholic 7 getting its own TV deal:
“The nature of money is in football. In most leagues 70 percent of media rights go to football and 30 percent goes to basketball, and those are leagues that have very good basketball. If you look at a league that has the kinds of schools that we have, if you look at the RPIs, there are more Atlantic 10 teams in the Top 50 than there are of the Catholic 7. If you look at Connecticut, Cincinnati, Memphis, Temple, they’re rated higher than most of the [Catholic 7] basketball schools. It’s going to be a very good basketball league.”

Laker
January 22nd, 2013, 05:47 PM
Anybody hear when the Catholic 7 expands? Are they waiting until after the season is over?

superman7515
January 23rd, 2013, 06:28 AM
Creighton thought they were getting one by now, but it looks like nothing will happen until the season is complete.

Laker
January 23rd, 2013, 08:07 AM
Creighton thought they were getting one by now, but it looks like nothing will happen until the season is complete.

I don't follow D1 basketball near as much as I do football, but Creighton would be a good pickup, along with Xavier. I think St. Louis will be included- after those three, it gets iffy. I like Dayton- but Xavier doesn't.

They keep talking about VCU, which is huge and non-private. That would be Bigfoot- not fitting the footprint of the other schools.

Franks Tanks
January 23rd, 2013, 08:20 AM
Dude is full of it. Yes, the new Big East is still better than the A-10 for Temple, but I have to think he is more than a little pissed that Nova bolted the conference as soon as Temple joined. Nova hasn't always had the better team, but they have typically had more press in Philly than any other Big 5 team since Jay Wright came aboard.

WH49er
January 23rd, 2013, 09:54 AM
Dude is full of it. Yes, the new Big East is still better than the A-10 for Temple, but I have to think he is more than a little pissed than Nova bolted the conference as soon as Temple joined. Nova hasn't always had the better team, but they have typically had more press in Philly that any other Big 5 team since Jay Wright came aboard.

Once Cincy and UConn bolt the NBE will essentially be a 2-man show (Temple/Memphis) every year in basketball. Have fun with that.

Franks Tanks
January 23rd, 2013, 10:28 AM
Once Cincy and UConn bolt the NBE will essentially be a 2-man show (Temple/Memphis) every year in basketball. Have fun with that.

It does get Temple out of a conference with LaSalle and St. Joe's. The teams will all still play each other as part of the Big 5 stuff, but Temple can use the new Big East (as watered down as it may be) to seperate themselves a bit from those two. It is still a good move for Temple, but the upgrade is much more incremental than they first thought.

WH49er
January 23rd, 2013, 12:48 PM
It does get Temple out of a conference with LaSalle and St. Joe's. The teams will all still play each other as part of the Big 5 stuff, but Temple can use the new Big East (as watered down as it may be) to seperate themselves a bit from those two. It is still a good move for Temple, but the upgrade is much more incremental than they first thought.

We will see when their attendance drops because they are playing Tulane, UCF, SMU. I like the shot at Charlotte. I hope we spank them both times this year.

Franks Tanks
January 23rd, 2013, 12:58 PM
We will see when their attendance drops because they are playing Tulane, UCF, SMU. I like the shot at Charlotte. I hope we spank them both times this year.

It's not any worse than St. Bonny and yes Charlotte. It has nothing to do with the quality of your team, but a casual Philly basketball fan doesn't really get excited about Temple/Charlotte. They may not get excited about Temple/SMU, but it will be no worse than present.

WH49er
January 23rd, 2013, 01:24 PM
It's not any worse than St. Bonny and yes Charlotte. It has nothing to do with the quality of your team, but a casual Philly basketball fan doesn't really get excited about Temple/Charlotte. They may not get excited about Temple/SMU, but it will be no worse than present.

I get it but lump anyone of those teams with Fordham is shameful.