PDA

View Full Version : MVFC Blog: Illinois State Lands Playmaking Transfer

mmiller_34
January 17th, 2013, 11:36 PM
Illinois State got their answer for who will replace standout QB Matt Brown:

Read More... (http://mvfcfan.blogspot.com/2013/01/illinois-state-lands-playmaking.html)

Professor Chaos
January 18th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Sounds like a quality player in a spot of need for Illinois St. However, for as bad as the defenses were in the Big 12 I don't think the caliber of defensive talent is as much of a step down in the Missouri Valley as most would think. I know they got a highly touted bulldozing RB from some JC out west too so they're definitely re-loaded. Pretty sure they had close to 20 FBS transfers on their roster last year and doesn't look like that will shrink much this year, perhaps Delaware is no longer Transfer U.

It excites the fan base to see transfers like this but I said the same thing last year and it's still holding true this year; the national champion didn't have a single FBS transfer on it's roster.

mmiller_34
January 18th, 2013, 11:11 AM
I know they got a highly touted bulldozing RB from some JC out west too so they're definitely re-loaded.

Yep, Collin Keoshian from Glendale C.C. How does 6'3" 245 sound for RB size?? xnutsx

citdog
January 18th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Yep, Collin Keoshian from Glendale C.C. How does 6'3" 245 sound for RB size?? xnutsx

like a guy who will soon be a linebacker?

asumike83
January 18th, 2013, 11:43 AM
However, for as bad as the defenses were in the Big 12 I don't think the caliber of defensive talent is as much of a step down in the Missouri Valley as most would think.

Some of that can be attributed to the even bigger step up in Big 12 offenses. They certainly don't stack up defensively to the SEC but the size, speed and talent of Big 12 defenses compared to the MVFC or any other FCS conference is very significant. The MVFC plays great football but it doesn't compare to the Big 12 on either side of the ball.

Professor Chaos
January 18th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Some of that can be attributed to the even bigger step up in Big 12 offenses. They certainly don't stack up defensively to the SEC but the size, speed and talent of Big 12 defenses compared to the MVFC or any other FCS conference is very significant. The MVFC plays great football but it doesn't compare to the Big 12 on either side of the ball.
I agree that there is a gap but it's not as much as the average college football fan, player, or coach would think. Coach Fritz said himself that NDSU's defense was better than either of the Big 12 defense's that Sam Houston saw this year. It's true that NDSU's defense was more locked into their game with SHSU than either A&M or Baylor were in their respective games but it's still comparable in any case.

Sammy94
January 18th, 2013, 12:41 PM
[QUOTE][ Coach Fritz said himself that NDSU's defense was better than either of the Big 12 defense's that Sam Houston saw this year. /QUOTE]

We just played one Big XII school and you are right the NDSU defense is better. The SEC school we played shut us down in the first half. The second half when we played against their 2nd and 3rd string guys was a different story. So I would say that NDSU is pretty comparable to most SEC 2nd string defenses.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 18th, 2013, 12:49 PM
[QUOTE][ Coach Fritz said himself that NDSU's defense was better than either of the Big 12 defense's that Sam Houston saw this year. /QUOTE]

We just played one Big XII school and you are right the NDSU defense is better. The SEC school we played shut us down in the first half. The second half when we played against their 2nd and 3rd string guys was a different story. So I would say that NDSU is pretty comparable to most SEC 2nd string defenses.

I doubt most. A&M is kind of an SEC in name only at present so they might not count just yet.

As for the FBS games, I still don't think they are a good barometer because there is an expectation gap in effort and preparation. I said it last year with Alabama and it bore itself out again this year.

mmiller_34
January 18th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Coaching is key and the "pride-on-the-line" factor does exist. In terms of shear athleticism there shouldn't be any doubt that there is a pretty large gap between BCS programs and MVFC. The Bison have proved what kind of wonders excellent coaching and preparation can do; however, I'm not saying they don't have talent--they sure do. But, these are not the same types of athletes that commit to the Power BCS conferences.

Rivals shows that Jared Barnett was a three-star athlete who had offers from Iowa State, Kansas State, and Houston coming out of high school. With the weird quarterback situation that has evolved over the past two seasons at Iowa State it seemed that Barnett just didn't fit well into the system and was probably pretty uncomfortable with the up and down nature of his fame here in Ames. I stated it in the blog, and I'll say it again here; the most important thing for Barnett's success will be how well he fits into the Redbird system and how well he meshes with his new teammates and coaches. Brock Spack is one of the best coaches in the MVFC and with the amount of transfers he has taken in, he has had plenty of experience putting these transfer players to work. We'll see if he can do the same for Barnett.

IBleedYellow
January 18th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Great pick up for them, and the conference as a whole!

Bring on the competition!

asumike83
January 18th, 2013, 03:14 PM
I agree that there is a gap but it's not as much as the average college football fan, player, or coach would think. Coach Fritz said himself that NDSU's defense was better than either of the Big 12 defense's that Sam Houston saw this year. It's true that NDSU's defense was more locked into their game with SHSU than either A&M or Baylor were in their respective games but it's still comparable in any case.

The Big 12 team they played was Baylor and I don't doubt that NDSU was tougher to score on than them. Baylor gave up 70 to WVU, 56 to Texas and 40+ on several other occasions. I think a lot of that comes down to coaching though, not talent. The NDSU defense is obviously very disciplined and well-coached.

Baylor... not so much. The raw talent and athleticism on the Baylor defense is better than NDSU but they don't have any idea what they're doing out there. Watching that Baylor/WVU game was like watching flag football, receivers were just running into open spaces with nobody within 5-10 yards. I can't remember seeing anything like that before.

As for A&M, they were up 34-0 at halftime. If they kept their foot on the gas and left in the starters, it would have been a different story.

World
January 20th, 2013, 03:04 AM
like a guy who will soon be a linebacker?

nope, he has played linebacker before and specifically took the Illinois State scholarship for the Running Back position. Not even Fullback. Pure Running Back. Something about his 4.5 speed and coordination in receiving that will solidify the running back position for him.

mmiller_34
January 20th, 2013, 10:42 PM
Ron Dayne!

World
January 21st, 2013, 04:13 PM
Ron Dayne!

sorry, although the same size, Ron Dayne is not a good comparision because Keoshian is must stronger than Dayne, having broken many weight lifting records (even for linemen) at Glendale College.

and a pretty good jumping ability:

http://www.elvaq.com/sports/2012/10/17/keoshians-football-career-resurrected-at-gcc/

On Sept. 15, Keoshian ran the ball for a school record 326 yards in a single game against San Diego Mesa College.

Alex Rome still recalls the moment he realized Keoshian was something special.

Rome had heard rumors around the locker room that Keoshian could leap on top of a bungalow with a single bound, but dismissed it as hot air.

“I heard it from the grape vine, and I didn’t believe it,” said Rome. “They had just finished squat lifts and I said, ‘I don’t think you can do it, I don’t want you to even try, you’re going to hurt yourself.’”

Before Rome had time to react, Keoshian bolted for the number two Verdugo Gym Trailer.

“He ran to the bungalow, planted one foot on the side, jumped up, grabbed the top and pulled himself up in one fluid motion,” said Rome. “It was incredible.”

Despite his newfound local fame and folklore, he has remained humble.

citdog
January 21st, 2013, 04:30 PM
sorry, although the same size, Ron Dayne is not a good comparision because Keoshian is must stronger than Dayne, having broken many weight lifting records (even for linemen) at Glendale College.

what are you his brother or something? or just SERIOUSLY sniffing his jock?

World
January 21st, 2013, 04:35 PM
what are you his brother or something? or just SERIOUSLY sniffing his jock?

huh?

what are you talking about?

you are talking here about JC transfer RB Collin Keoshian, the starting running back for future 2013 FCS champion Illinois State and a top 5 running back in the FCS.

citdog
January 21st, 2013, 04:50 PM
huh?

you are talking here about JC transfer RB Collin Keoshian, the starting running back for future 2013 FCS champion Illinois State and a top 5 running back in the FCS.

junior college huh? are you sure he's smart enough to FIND the field?

World
January 21st, 2013, 06:27 PM
junior college huh? are you sure he's smart enough to FIND the field?

Usually students with 4.0 GPA's through high school, one year at BYU and then Junior College are pretty smart, don't you think?

jub1982
January 21st, 2013, 07:00 PM
We have found the ISU-red version of Lakes, or maybe Collin Keoshian himself.

Professor Chaos
January 21st, 2013, 07:40 PM
huh?

If he's as good as you're boasting why is he going to Illinois St and not FBS?

They'll have a tall order just to contend in the MVFC next year so I wouldn't go crowing them yet.

World
January 21st, 2013, 08:38 PM
If he's as good as you're boasting why is he going to Illinois St and not FBS?

They'll have a tall order just to contend in the MVFC next year so I wouldn't go crowing them yet.

come back when Keoshian rushes for his first 200 yard game - probably in the first three games of the season

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 22nd, 2013, 05:58 AM
huh?

We'll see.

If he is that good, he would be on a FBS roster somewhere....xcoffeex

World
January 22nd, 2013, 11:58 AM
We'll see.

If he is that good, he would be on a FBS roster somewhere....xcoffeex

You mean like Marcus Williams?

citdog
January 22nd, 2013, 12:06 PM
come back when Keoshian rushes for his first 200 yard game - probably in the first three games of the season

there is only one guy who can get away with talking about himself in the third person.

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/07/06/0628_second_careers/image/george_foreman.jpg

you ain't him

asumike83
January 22nd, 2013, 01:07 PM

Ron Dayne wears Collin Keoshian pajamas. Bo Jackson is a much better comparison.

cbarrier90
January 22nd, 2013, 01:35 PM
there is only one guy who can get away with talking about himself in the third person.

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/07/06/0628_second_careers/image/george_foreman.jpg

you ain't him

What about Bob Dole?

asumike83
January 22nd, 2013, 01:50 PM
What about Bob Dole?

And of course, this guy:

http://top10marvels.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/The-Rock-in-WWE.jpg

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 22nd, 2013, 04:53 PM
You mean like Marcus Williams?

Ya. MW will get drafted next year.

Ill State will be in Fargo this year, we'll see how good this guy really is.

World
January 22nd, 2013, 06:41 PM
Ron Dayne wears Collin Keoshian pajamas. Bo Jackson is a much better comparison.

Sorry, but Bo Jackson is in a class by himself

no comparison this time

World
January 22nd, 2013, 06:43 PM

Yes, Marcus Williams will get drafted next year

and Collin Keoshian will get drafted at a higher round the following year.

So again, why is Marcus Williams not playing for an FBS school?

World
January 22nd, 2013, 06:49 PM

Illinois State will win the game, NDS only loss of the year as both teams will meet in the FCS Champioship game

Oh, and Keoshian?

He will rush for less than 200 yards, probably about 120 yards, but catch 6 passes for 105 yards. Three TD's in total.

Professor Chaos
January 22nd, 2013, 07:55 PM
So again, why is Marcus Williams not playing for an FBS school?
Academic risk out of high school.

But from what I understand your guy invented the internet so that shouldn't have been a problem for him.

mmiller_34
January 22nd, 2013, 09:35 PM
This. is. outstanding. xlmaox

World
January 22nd, 2013, 10:07 PM
Academic risk out of high school.

But from what I understand your guy invented the internet so that shouldn't have been a problem for him.

So are you saying that Marcus Williams is a dummy?

can't believe that.

Certainly there are plenty of FBS schools with lower academic standards than NDS.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 23rd, 2013, 06:58 AM
Illinois State will win the game, NDS only loss of the year as both teams will meet in the FCS Champioship game

Oh, and Keoshian?

He will rush for less than 200 yards, probably about 120 yards, but catch 6 passes for 105 yards. Three TD's in total.

Those would be pretty impressive stats against the #1 defense in the FCS.

Doubt it will happen though.

Professor Chaos
January 23rd, 2013, 09:07 AM
So are you saying that Marcus Williams is a dummy?

can't believe that.

Certainly there are plenty of FBS schools with lower academic standards than NDS.
To say he's a dummy would be crude and inaccurate. The NCAA clearinghouse has academic standards (http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Quick_Reference_Sheet.pdf) that every member institution has to abide by based on the athletic level of that institution.

In some cases it's not necessarily that a student-athlete had poor grades in high school, it's just that he/she didn't have the core courses required to be eligible to compete at the division 1 level in college. That's why many supremely talented athletes have to play JC ball out of high school and then transfer to a more prestigous school once they've got their academics in order.

Marcus decided that instead of going the JC route he would go to a D1 school right away that promised him a scholarship once he was able to meet the NCAA clearinghouse requirements. After a year he was eligible and an immediate starter on a team that's gone 37-7 since then.

World
January 24th, 2013, 12:37 AM
To say he's a dummy would be crude and inaccurate. The NCAA clearinghouse has academic standards (http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Quick_Reference_Sheet.pdf) that every member institution has to abide by based on the athletic level of that institution.

In some cases it's not necessarily that a student-athlete had poor grades in high school, it's just that he/she didn't have the core courses required to be eligible to compete at the division 1 level in college. That's why many supremely talented athletes have to play JC ball out of high school and then transfer to a more prestigous school once they've got their academics in order.

Marcus decided that instead of going the JC route he would go to a D1 school right away that promised him a scholarship once he was able to meet the NCAA clearinghouse requirements. After a year he was eligible and an immediate starter on a team that's gone 37-7 since then.

Ok, thanks for the info

Bisonator
January 24th, 2013, 08:33 AM

Oh, and Keoshian?

Doubt it. xrolleyesx