PDA

View Full Version : Indiana St Coach to GaState

ITmonarch10
November 30th, 2012, 09:43 PM
ATLANTA -- Trent Miles is leaving Indiana State to replace Bill Curry as Georgia State's football coach.
Curry, the former Alabama, Kentucky and Georgia Tech coach who launched the Georgia State program in 2008, is retiring.
Miles, a former assistant at Stanford, Notre Dame and Washington, led Indiana State to a 7-4 record this year, his third straight winning season at the school.
Indiana State had won only one game in three seasons before Miles' arrival in 2008. He was the Missouri Valley Football Conference coach of the year in 2010.
Georgia State is moving to the Sun Belt Conference in 2013.
Georgia State athletic director Cheryl Levick says Miles is a "program-builder."
Miles is 20-36 in five seasons at Indiana State, including a 19-14 mark the last three years.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8696200/georgia-st-hires-trent-miles-replace-retiring-bill-curry

Poor Indiana St... Just when they were starting to rise

IndyTreeFan
November 30th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Don't count us out just yet. We have an outstanding AD who will get us a good football coach. Coach Miles' leaving is bad, but at least he is leaving a fairly attractive program behind. I think we'll be fine!

clenz
November 30th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Don't count us out just yet. We have an outstanding AD who will get us a good football coach. Coach Miles' leaving is bad, but at least he is leaving a fairly attractive program behind. I think we'll be fine!
I don't have as much hope as you.

The best coach you ever had just left.

Not just that...

He was born in Terre Haute....

Grew up in Terre Haute.

PLAYED FOOTBALL FOR INDIANA STATE

And just when things were getting good....HE LEFT.

clenz
November 30th, 2012, 09:53 PM
It's not like he left for a better spot either....GSU is what ISUb was 5 years ago.....

ODUsmitty
November 30th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Georgia State sux. Why would you leave a program that cares to a program that flat out stinks.

clenz
November 30th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Georgia State sux. Why would you leave a program that cares to a program that flat out stinks.
Exactly this.

It leads me to believe there is leadership/support issues from the higher ups at ISU.

Jacked_Rabbit
November 30th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Something smells fishy about this...

There aren't many HC's that make lateral moves, and there could be a very strong argument that this is a step down. Very strange.

Laker
November 30th, 2012, 10:26 PM
I'm guessing that his reason is $$$$.

Gringer1
November 30th, 2012, 10:30 PM
ISU was probably expecting Miles to produce continued growth without the institution making much of a commitment. G-State has proven that they're willing to pay athletics personnel massive salaries for producing little more than diarrhea.

Sycamore62
November 30th, 2012, 10:31 PM
I'm guessing that his reason is $$$$.

I'm guessing low-mid $100k to $450k. I'd go too.

I think there are some coaches with ties that could advance the program. Much of the improvement of the program rests with the AD. Things with the prior AD had gotten Freak Show bad.

I'll see what names come up. On a historical trivia note, the other finalist for the job when Miles was hired was Jeff Monken

Sycamore62
November 30th, 2012, 10:32 PM
And if he wins at Gstate he will probably get the chance to try again at a BCS school

ST_Lawson
November 30th, 2012, 10:42 PM
I'm guessing low-mid $100k to $450k. I'd go too.

I think there are some coaches with ties that could advance the program. Much of the improvement of the program rests with the AD. Things with the prior AD had gotten Freak Show bad.

I'll see what names come up. On a historical trivia note, the other finalist for the job when Miles was hired was Jeff Monken

I just did a rundown of MVFC salaries over on our own forum (http://www.leathernecknation.com/FindPost17885.aspx). Essentially, Miles was at under $140k-ish when he was first hired, but got an extension and raise that "brings him to the middle of the league pay-wise. He had been at the bottom." Based on what I was able to gather from the other MVFC salary information that I was able to dig up, I'd guess he was making somewhere around $180k-$200k at ISUb. Although, a more intrepid investigator could probably dig up the specific # (especially considering all MVFC schools are public state universities, so all employees salaries should be public somewhere).

clenz
November 30th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Coach Farley's saralies

06: 147,091
07: 165,086
08: 205,882
09: 263,658
10: 252,658 (yep, less than the year before)
11: 276,883
12: 296,279

ASU_Fanatic
November 30th, 2012, 10:57 PM

resources

slostang
November 30th, 2012, 11:20 PM
I got a chance to meet him when he interviewed for the Cal Poly job. He seemed to be a greaat guy and an outstanding AD. He turned that interview into a multiple year contract extension at Indiana State. I think ISU will continue to build their entire athletic program under his leadership.

cmaxwellgsu
December 1st, 2012, 12:20 AM
While slamming Ga State is as easy as taking candy from a baby, they are going to be an FBS program. So if he goes .500 in the Sunbelt, he'll be able to parlay that into a better job. I hope the Panther fans appreciate the hire.

Vitojr130
December 1st, 2012, 03:03 AM
I just did a rundown of MVFC salaries over on our own forum (http://www.leathernecknation.com/FindPost17885.aspx). Essentially, Miles was at under $140k-ish when he was first hired, but got an extension and raise that "brings him to the middle of the league pay-wise. He had been at the bottom." Based on what I was able to gather from the other MVFC salary information that I was able to dig up, I'd guess he was making somewhere around $180k-$200k at ISUb. Although, a more intrepid investigator could probably dig up the specific # (especially considering all MVFC schools are public state universities, so all employees salaries should be public somewhere).

In your breakdown, you failed to mention that Bohl also brings in 3% of all ticket sales in the Fargodome over the course of the season. That's something like $150,000 more.

Twentysix
December 1st, 2012, 04:10 AM
In your breakdown, you failed to mention that Bohl also brings in 3% of all ticket sales in the Fargodome over the course of the season. That's something like $150,000 more.

I don't know what his media deal is for this year but in 2008 he got 60k for it and 5k for running a football camp in the summer.

Media - $60k (I believe this is paid by KVLY or another entity not the university, probably why it isn't included)
Camps- $5k

He also gets an extra chunk of change(over ten grand), if memory serves which it did for the media portion of his check, for speaking at events.. an appearances fee or something.

http://www.bakkentoday.com/event/article/id/369748/publisher_ID/1/

"It’s certainly an enviable problem for NDSU to have. It has already surpassed its budgeted $1.5 million ticket income"

That was on August 3rd. Obviously more in ticket sales have been taken in. Using that number, however, bohl makes 45k from ticket sales.

Bohls listed bonuses per the WIU poster + his 2008 media deal + his 2008 summer camp fee + the August 3rd ticket income is Craig Bohl's Salary $346,668. If you are an SDSU fan and figure he loses tommorow he will make atleast $321,668.

The ticket income has certainly increased since that day, and his media deal and summer camp fee are probably also low at this point.

That also wouldn't include any endorsement deals he does around FM.

Jacked_Rabbit
December 1st, 2012, 09:13 AM
While slamming Ga State is as easy as taking candy from a baby, they are going to be an FBS program. So if he goes .500 in the Sunbelt, he'll be able to parlay that into a better job. I hope the Panther fans appreciate the hire.

I wasn't aware of this when I made my comment below... I guess it is easier for me to understand now. FBS job and a salary increase, simple as that. It'd be really hard to leave your alma mater and home town, so I'm sure it was a very tough decision. There is no denying the turnaround he is responsible for at Indiana State - very very impressive. I wish Trent the best of luck, but I feel for the Indiana State football program - big loss for them.

IndyTreeFan
December 1st, 2012, 09:24 AM
Guys, I know we're still a laughingstock to many, but the honest truth is that the commitment is there. Our recruiting is now on an even playing field with everyone else, our facilities are competitive, the salary will be there for a new coach. Our AD and president are totally behind building a championship level football program. Our turnaround wasn't just Trent Miles, it was a sea change from the president's office on down. Knowing these folks the way I do, I am confident that we are gonna be just fine!

ST_Lawson
December 1st, 2012, 08:19 PM

To be fair, I wasn't really trying to do significant, in-depth research. Just trying to get a basic idea of the salaries around the league. Also, in my post there, I did mention many of the bonus clauses written in (I did miss the one regarding ticket sales). I had base at just under $200k, but with all the bonuses and stuff, said "So, he's obviously been making more than that lately...I'll let you do the math." It was really more of a quick summary so that we know where the rest of the league stands as compared to what the terms end up being for our new HC, once he's hired. And really, if any coach in the league deserves that kind of money ($300k+), it's Bohl.

Sycamore62
December 1st, 2012, 10:00 PM
The local newspaper reports his base salary at $168k