Pages : 1 [2]

NoDak 4 Ever
November 25th, 2012, 01:57 PM
I believe they lost @ Youngstown in 1979

November 24, 1979: game at YSU
YSU 50
SDSU 7

Other than that...correct.

Only playoff appearances (I looked all the way back to 1920)
1979 - D2 0-1
2009 - D1 0-1
2012 - D1 1-0 so far

Outscored 111-55 prior to this year.

Correct, the 2007 media guide has it incorrectly listed as McNeese.

Maroons
November 25th, 2012, 01:58 PM
xrolleyesx Seriously????? How can you have less than 5,000 show up for a playoff game when you have one of the premier running backs in the FCS???? I know Thanksgiving whittles the student attendance down but WOW, unbelievable

It's nothing personal towards you, McNeese75, but these attendance insults seem to come up a lot on this board from a variety of people, and they are pretty lame. There are so many factors that influence attendance, and many are not within the power of the universities or the fan base to alter. Everyone at the game (players, fans, admin) certainly would have liked more fans to be there, but it's not as easy as wishing or even investing. In many cases, higher attendance is a long, uphill climb that depends on winning, careful marketing of the product, and a favorable marketplace. Further, I would hazard a guess that 5k is higher than the average attendance for an FCS game.

clenz
November 25th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Was USD's runnerup year the only time they made it?
Going back to 1935

1973 - lost in quarters to Boise State
1985 - lost in semi's to NDSU
1986 - lost in finals to NDSU
2006 - lost in second round to Grand Valley State

clenz
November 25th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Seriously, going through the playoff history of anyone except NDSU, UNI, ASU, GSU, Montana, Delaware, McNeese, and to an extent Montana State is just depressing.

There are a couple who seem to make it about 25%, if lucky, of the time...but damn. The FCS is pretty much ruled by a couple schools and everyone else has their one or two time run at it but that's it.

KUlawJack
November 25th, 2012, 02:03 PM
What is the usual student attendance. It's easier to fill a stadium when the town has 100k population rather than 20k

Averaged around 13,500 during the regular season.

Kegerator
November 25th, 2012, 02:11 PM
In my time, SDSU has always been known as a basketball school. We've always been in the postseason mix, had very good attendance and facilities, and football had been an afterthought. It's getting better, though, for football, and I believe the future is bright for SDSU attendance, especially in light of plans to replace a facility that is 53 years old and exudes all the warmth and charm of an airplane hangar. A lot of people don't attend, because they presume they'll have to stand, that refreshments will be hard to get to, that even if they are sitting, they'll be on cold metal bleachers, etc.

Sycamore62
November 25th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Average attendance yesterday was 4,420.

89rabbit
November 25th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Average attendance yesterday was 4,420.

This. First time following FCS playoffs, for some of you? The Thanksgiving holiday playoff games' attendances are usually well below the schools season avg. attendance. Happens every year. xrolleyesx

lionsrking2
November 25th, 2012, 02:28 PM
This. First time following FCS playoffs, for some of you? The Thanksgiving holiday playoff games' attendances are usually well below the schools season avg. attendance. xrolleyesx

Not to mention there's incentive to "not pad" the numbers like a lot of places do during the regular season.

Maroons
November 25th, 2012, 02:38 PM
This sudden flood of common sense posts on an AGS thread is so refreshing.

McNeese75
November 25th, 2012, 03:48 PM
It's nothing personal towards you, McNeese75, but these attendance insults seem to come up a lot on this board from a variety of people, and they are pretty lame. There are so many factors that influence attendance, and many are not within the power of the universities or the fan base to alter. Everyone at the game (players, fans, admin) certainly would have liked more fans to be there, but it's not as easy as wishing or even investing. In many cases, higher attendance is a long, uphill climb that depends on winning, careful marketing of the product, and a favorable marketplace. Further, I would hazard a guess that 5k is higher than the average attendance for an FCS game.

Call it what you want but that attendance number sucks. If they averaged over 13,000 during the year then a reasonable drop off for Thanksgiving would have been in the 8-9,000 range not 4-5,000. Obviously you and I attend completely different FCS games because I can count on one hand the number of games I have been to with that few fans over the last 20 years.

McNeese72
November 25th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Call it what you want but that attendance number sucks. If they averaged over 13,000 during the year then a reasonable drop off for Thanksgiving would have been in the 8-9,000 range not 4-5,000. Obviously you and I attend completely different FCS games because I can count on one hand the number of games I have been to with that few fans over the last 20 years.

I can't think of any McNeese playoff game, home or away, that has had that few people.

Doc

clenz
November 25th, 2012, 06:12 PM
I'd love to go back and check box scores and what not....but McNeese has to be the worst D1 school in the nation when it comes to keeping old box scores available.

Heck, they only go back three years (10, 11, and 12) and 10 and 11 don't even have them for every single game.

Gil Dobie
November 25th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Was weather a factor? I know it was cold in North Dakota that day, teens and twenties.

clenz
November 25th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Was weather a factor? I know it was cold in North Dakota that day, teens and twenties.
High was 36 at 2:30, dropped fairly quick after that, with wind around 5-10 most of the day but gusting higher than that.

I'm sure it felt pretty damn cold.

Heck, here in CF I didn't even want to go outside yesterday because I'm not used to the cold yet this year and we weren't much colder with a high of 29 at 11AM....

Maroons
November 25th, 2012, 06:41 PM

I have no argument with anything you say in your final sentence.

mmiller_34
November 25th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Look. I understand that the attendance sucks. I've been to countless SDSU games over the past 8 years. I've seen attendance at its worst and at its best, and the reported 4400 or whatever seemed low to me. I thought it was at least 6K. (which still would have sucked)

Anyway, regardless of the attendance, we still won 58-10 and advanced in the tournament. I guess its just more motivation to get a BYE to avoid Thanksgiving. Whatever.

LeeshaJo
November 25th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Look. I understand that the attendance sucks. I've been to countless SDSU games over the past 8 years. I've seen attendance at its worst and at its best, and the reported 4400 or whatever seemed low to me. I thought it was at least 6K. (which still would have sucked)

Anyway, regardless of the attendance, we still won 58-10 and advanced in the tournament. I guess its just more motivation to get a BYE to avoid Thanksgiving. Whatever.

The main stands, less the student section (which let me tell you pissed me off a bit, free tickets, get your asses back for the game. But also questioned if TPTB opened the dorms back up for the weekend. I know when I was in school, the dorms closed for the holiday) were 80 percent full... maybe 300 fans on the other side. It was pretty light. BUT the ones who came were loud.

Sycamore62
November 25th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Id rather win in front of 4000 than loose in front of anyone.

89rabbit
November 26th, 2012, 07:49 AM
For the attendance haters:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20121126/SPORTS0202/311260003/Jacks-get-ready-rumble-Bison?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

. . . The attendance of 4,367 for the first home playoff game in program history was disappointing, though not unexpected. The Jacks came in averaging more than 13,000 fans and had drawn at least 10,000 in each of their last 10 home games. This was the lowest single-game turnout since a crowd of 3,918 in the 2010 finale against North Dakota.

There were several issues at work – the holiday weekend and cold weather being the most disruptive. This is hardly a new issue in the FCS playoffs.

In 2010, a quarterfinal contest between Eastern Washington and NDSU drew just 4,060. Last year, Eastern Kentucky reported 2,388 for a first-round game. Attendance figures for the four games played Saturday ranged from 5,465 to 3,032. . . .

SportsLover
November 26th, 2012, 07:55 AM
The main stands, less the student section (which let me tell you pissed me off a bit, free tickets, get your asses back for the game. But also questioned if TPTB opened the dorms back up for the weekend. I know when I was in school, the dorms closed for the holiday) were 80 percent full... maybe 300 fans on the other side. It was pretty light. BUT the ones who came were loud.

I thought student tickets were $10

89rabbit
November 26th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Here is a wrap up of the game, for those who care more about the football then the number of fans in the seats:

http://terryvandrovec.tumblr.com/post/36584606601/week-12-wrap

89rabbit
November 26th, 2012, 08:03 AM
I thought student tickets were $10

A couple of local businesses purchased tickets for any student who was able to attend. They provided them for free to the students.

SportsLover
November 26th, 2012, 08:06 AM
A couple of local businesses purchased tickets and provided them to the students that were able to attend at no charge to the students.

Ahh gotcha. Great to see something like that happen.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 26th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Ahh gotcha. Great to see something like that happen.

The schools can't give out free tickets to playoff games so if it's gonna happen it has to happen like that. The NCAA sets the price and the school can't mess with it, or keep the money from it...most of the money anyway.

I'm not a hater or gonna make fun of SDSU for those numbers but will say I am pretty shocked that they were that low. I really didn't expect that at all. You can normally trim off 25-30% from the normal attendance on a Thanksgiving game from what I recall.

SportsLover
November 26th, 2012, 11:53 AM
The schools can't give out free tickets to playoff games so if it's gonna happen it has to happen like that. The NCAA sets the price and the school can't mess with it, or keep the money from it...most of the money anyway.

Yes I knew that, I had thought I saw that they were being sold for $10 on sdsufans.com early last week so I was just confused.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 26th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Yes I knew that, I had thought I saw that they were being sold for $10 on sdsufans.com early last week so I was just confused.

Ah, gotcha.

Twentysix
November 26th, 2012, 12:39 PM

They are 5 at ndsu. I assume all schools are the same.

SportsLover
November 26th, 2012, 12:46 PM
They are 5 at ndsu. I assume all schools are the same.

http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread.php?12402-Eastern-Illinois-University/page2

look at post #17 and 18

Twentysix
November 26th, 2012, 12:48 PM
http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread.php?12402-Eastern-Illinois-University/page2

look at post #17 and 18

I wonder why SDSU would do that, NDSU's tickets were $8 in 2010(although in 2010 the alumni center ended up donating the funds for all of them anyway) and have been $5 each for every home playoff game after the first year.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 26th, 2012, 01:54 PM
I wonder why SDSU would do that, NDSU's tickets were $8 in 2010(although in 2010 the alumni center ended up donating the funds for all of them anyway) and have been $5 each for every home playoff game after the first year.

It might be different now but I don't remember getting any discount on tickets in the playoffs for UM when I was a student. Ticket price was same for everybody.

Twentysix
November 26th, 2012, 04:36 PM
It might be different now but I don't remember getting any discount on tickets in the playoffs for UM when I was a student. Ticket price was same for everybody.

Student tickets are normally free at NDSU(for the first 3800), $5 for playoff games. I think the GA/Reserved tickets are $25, someone else would have to chime in on that price as they are no longer listed on the website. https://tkt.xosn.com/tickets/TicketHome.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=2400&_MODE_=EVENTSELECT&SALE_TKT_EVENT_ID=328719&IN_PARKING=

ursus arctos horribilis
November 26th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Student tickets are normally free at NDSU(for the first 3800), $5 for playoff games. I think the GA/Reserved tickets are $25, someone else would have to chime in on that price as they are no longer listed on the website. https://tkt.xosn.com/tickets/TicketHome.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=2400&_MODE_=EVENTSELECT&SALE_TKT_EVENT_ID=328719&IN_PARKING=

Yeah, I am sure some schools did that and paid the extra for students but UM didn't at that time. Everyone paid the full ticket price and the school didn't subsidize the student tickets that I can remember.

clenz
November 26th, 2012, 09:09 PM
I think they have to be at least $5 dollars, but I though I remember reading it had to be $10 a couple years ago...maybe I was wrong.

Schools are still able to give "free tickets" to students for the playoffs....re: free to the students but not the school.

UNI is famous for doing this to get students to show up over the playoffs. They pass it off as "Coach Farley is buying your ticket!" when really the athletic department is eating the cost of them. Whether or not it works is tough to tell. The students at UNI are very fickle about if they will go to games, so charging $10 might make it so they don't in the same numbers.

i_got_a_fever
November 28th, 2012, 10:10 AM
http://vimeo.com/54411452

Jacked_Rabbit
November 28th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Bump. Tief's injury at 32 second mark.