PDA

View Full Version : Since when did losing by 3+ scores = "playing well"

PAllen
November 18th, 2012, 10:29 AM
So Towson and a host of SoCon teams kept it close for a half against some of the best at any level. Great, but losing by 3+ scores is still getting your butts kicked. If you want to play someone in the SEC championship race, great. I hope the paycheck was good enough, because you get to take your butt whipping home with you too... and yes, FBS losses count against your Div-I record come playoff time. The game is to see how good you are against FCS opponents. Showing you can kick the crap out of a weak Div-II team, or get crushed by an FBS team proves nothing.

blueballs
November 18th, 2012, 11:18 AM
They take the big FBS games for money so they can fund the other sport programs the university offers. The $475,000 GSU took home from Athens yesterday goes a long ways towards funding the title 9 and olympic sports the university has to offer under federal law.

I think it is safe to say that GSU isn't really affected that. GSU took losses to FBS teams FSU (GSU led in the fourth qtr of that game) in 1988 and made the finals, Oregon State (lost by 7) in 1999 and won the title, UGA in 2000 and won the title, and Alabama (most points scored against Alabama in 20+ games) last year and made the final four.

The thrill of playing against the "big time" schools is something GSU sells recruits too, and they love it. GSU played Alabama last year, Georgia this year, Florida next year, then LSU and Georgia Tech. True competitors want to play against the best in the best atmospheres and take pride in and own their performances.

theasushow
November 18th, 2012, 11:25 AM
"YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!"

jim121256
November 18th, 2012, 12:28 PM
"YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!"

Really???? I didn't realize that was what it was about. What do you think GSU would do if they figured that out?

TUTigers
November 18th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Towson beat Nova, Towson crushed UNH and we get left out... makes sense