PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh at Lafayette, Game 148: Official Pre-Game Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

RichH2
November 17th, 2012, 09:24 PM
No 11 , Ryder truck rentals. LOL

kardplayer
November 17th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Moving the game to Yankee Stadium is a great "get the attention of the alumni who don't pay any attention to us any more" move.

There are three types of sports-loving alumni.

Group 1 are completely into it, have embraced life in the Patriot League and at the FCS level - these are the folks on this board and that post on AGS and the team boards. They go to The Game every year, go to other games too - home and away. Call them the "purists"... we're generally against moving the game, because we don't need the game off campus to make it awesome. If you are reading this, you are almost definitely in Group 1. Some will whine and complain, and some will even sit it out, but we'll all be back for Game 151.

Group 2 will come back for the game when it's at home, and if their schedule allows. They might go to playoff games, and an occasional other game, but they go as much (if not more) to hang with friends. They are most likely recruited for all these events by someone in Group 1. These folks are excited about the game, say they are going to go, and they will be there.

Group 3 couldn't care less about "little school football" and regret not going to Michigan or Duke so they'd have "big time" sports to root for. If they go to Lehigh/Lafayette, it's about once per 10 years, and only when someone in Group 1 does a major recruiting job. They LOVE this idea. LOVE IT. Finally they have something to brag about to their friends from BCS schools. They have already either emailed their friends or posted about it on facebook. They say they will attend, but there's probably a 25% chance they actually do.

Given those three groups, this is a big win for both schools. They will get more donations from Group 2 and 3 then they have in years. They will hope that some Group 3 folks will migrate to Group 2 in the years coming out of the game - and maybe some will migrate up leading up to the game too. I will be working on my Group 3 friends to make them do just that. I don't know about you guys, but my email and facebook blew up today with this - this will be good for the schools.

I wouldn't worry about buses for students - they'll make sure they can get them all there. The logistic I'm worried about is tailgating - if the lots are only open 2 hours before the game, there basically won't be time for tailgating.

Bill
November 17th, 2012, 10:55 PM
if the lots are only open 2 hours before the game, there basically won't be time for tailgating.

There's always Stan's xrolleyesx

RichH2
November 17th, 2012, 11:08 PM
I think they meant stadium will open 2 hrs before game. Lots s/b open earlier.

ngineer
November 17th, 2012, 11:28 PM
A great come from behind win today. Colvin really showed his toughness today playing with a busted left hand. The adjustments made at halftime in the line play was impressive. It was like night and day as we controlled the line of scrimmage the entire second half. A tip of the hat,though, to the 'pards who brought a spirited game from the start.

I don't like the Yankee Stadium gig; however, I understand some of the thinking behind it. If both schools are decent, or more with championship and/or playoff implications you could get a "yooooge" (think Trump) crowd, so long as prices were reasonable. Both schools have tons of alumni within an hour or two of the site in NY, NJ, PA, and CT. With good weather, I could see a crowd of 30-40,000. You might even get a lot of 'curious' spectators if the marketing is done right. I agree logistics of getting students there will be daunting. I suspect some organized bus trips, some with overnight/weekend packages, will be set up. Think South Side Boosters.

It was announced that Lafayette would be 'hosting' the game, so it will be considered their home game. I suspect this is being done with some anticipation or already achieved agreement with large media coverage--possible ESPN or related coverage. Could be significant $$$ for both schools. Again, I would prefer the game be in Easton. But the decision is made so we may as well embrace it and make the most of it.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 18th, 2012, 01:01 AM
Interesting numbers....

Lehigh posted their third straight 10+ win total and 7th in the last 15 seasons Lafayette has not had a 10 win season since 1899.

Lafayette has won more than 8 games once, 1981, since the end of WWII.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2012, 01:59 AM
Lehigh posted their third straight 10+ win total and 7th in the last 15 seasons Lafayette has not had a 10 win season since 1899.

"The Curse"

van
November 18th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Disagree about Joe. He has done a remarkable job over his tenure. Nowhere near preretirement yrs. He's in his 50s. He promised he would get it done to provide reasonble transportation etc. I believe he will do his best. A daunting task.

+1, and hope he put in a good bid for a home playoff game too!

Engineer86
November 18th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Moving the game to Yankee Stadium is a great "get the attention of the alumni who don't pay any attention to us any more" move.

There are three types of sports-loving alumni.

Group 1 are completely into it, have embraced life in the Patriot League and at the FCS level - these are the folks on this board and that post on AGS and the team boards. They go to The Game every year, go to other games too - home and away. Call them the "purists"... we're generally against moving the game, because we don't need the game off campus to make it awesome. If you are reading this, you are almost definitely in Group 1. Some will whine and complain, and some will even sit it out, but we'll all be back for Game 151.

Group 2 will come back for the game when it's at home, and if their schedule allows. They might go to playoff games, and an occasional other game, but they go as much (if not more) to hang with friends. They are most likely recruited for all these events by someone in Group 1. These folks are excited about the game, say they are going to go, and they will be there.

Group 3 couldn't care less about "little school football" and regret not going to Michigan or Duke so they'd have "big time" sports to root for. If they go to Lehigh/Lafayette, it's about once per 10 years, and only when someone in Group 1 does a major recruiting job. They LOVE this idea. LOVE IT. Finally they have something to brag about to their friends from BCS schools. They have already either emailed their friends or posted about it on facebook. They say they will attend, but there's probably a 25% chance they actually do.

Given those three groups, this is a big win for both schools. They will get more donations from Group 2 and 3 then they have in years. They will hope that some Group 3 folks will migrate to Group 2 in the years coming out of the game - and maybe some will migrate up leading up to the game too. I will be working on my Group 3 friends to make them do just that. I don't know about you guys, but my email and facebook blew up today with this - this will be good for the schools.

I wouldn't worry about buses for students - they'll make sure they can get them all there. The logistic I'm worried about is tailgating - if the lots are only open 2 hours before the game, there basically won't be time for tailgating.

You nailed it. On tailgating, I am wondering if some of the bars around Yankee Stadium will realize the gold mine they have on that day and will open early, IF THEY CAN. There does not look to be many hotels real close to the Stadium.

Engineer86
November 18th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Anyone know anything about Barkett? He had no pads on in the second half.

Pard4Life
November 18th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Interesting numbers....

Lafayette has won more than 8 games once, 1981, since the end of WWII.

You are telling me nothing new.

Lehigh football was awful until the mid 1970s, until your institution made a committment to winning and athletics in general. I'm pretty versed in LC histor and that committment was there until 1950ish. Carney's saying that at LC, you are supposed to win, but not too much, has a kernel of truth. There is a great op-Ed from the 1970s that I found in the LC paper complaining about the losing since the 1950s, and the administration being indifferent or in denial. I can't say it any plainer than that... and then you have the equivalency cut in 2008... same stuff.

RichH2
November 18th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Chuck, you asked for favorite memories of the Game. I have a new one now. The post game rush of the field w LU fans amd players chanting LU. This entire season has been one of a team's desire and will to win. Remarkable achievement given the talent loss from last yr. Thank you to Andy and to all the players for a season to remember.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 18th, 2012, 09:26 AM
You are telling me nothing new.

Lehigh football was awful until the mid 1970s, until your institution made a committment to winning and athletics in general. I'm pretty versed in LC histor and that committment was there until 1950ish. Carney's saying that at LC, you are supposed to win, but not too much, has a kernel of truth. There is a great op-Ed from the 1970s that I found in the LC paper complaining about the losing since the 1950s, and the administration being indifferent or in denial. I can't say it any plainer than that... and then you have the equivalency cut in 2008... same stuff.

Lehigh was actually pretty good in the 50's as well, MUCH better than Lafayette. Lafayette really started going in the tank after WW2.

RichH2
November 18th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Zach had a hip pointer.

RichH2
November 18th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Owl
Pards did have a good run in the 60s until Fred rebuilt program. Overal , the numbers dont lie. LU wants successful sports programs, Lafayette doesn't care enuf .

LehighU11
November 18th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Chuck, you asked for favorite memories of the Game. I have a new one now. The post game rush of the field w LU fans amd players chanting LU. This entire season has been one of a team's desire and will to win. Remarkable achievement given the talent loss from last yr. Thank you to Andy and to all the players for a season to remember.

First game sitting outside of the student section and I have to say that I was really impressed with how great the Lehigh students were yesterday. I can't recall seeing a student crowd so into the game from beginning to end. Perhaps the crackdown on underage drinking caused just about all of the Lehigh students to be in the stadium for kickoff, rather than midway through the 2nd quarter as in recent years. It was nice to see such support for the 97 at halftime, too. I think that may have been one of the loudest points of the afternoon for either side.

RichH2
November 18th, 2012, 09:59 AM
First game sitting outside of the student section and I have to say that I was really impressed with how great the Lehigh students were yesterday. I can't recall seeing a student crowd so into the game from beginning to end. Perhaps the crackdown on underage drinking caused just about all of the Lehigh students to be in the stadium for kickoff, rather than midway through the 2nd quarter as in recent years. It was nice to see such support for the 97 at halftime, too. I think that may have been one of the loudest points of the afternoon for either side.
+1

Pard4Life
November 18th, 2012, 10:30 AM

No way... that was TERRIBLE! What are you people doing on the field after you've beaten an opponent for five straight years, with a losing record to boot, are ranked, and did not win a championship, and the game was over in the early 4th? When we won four straight we all cheered and went home... no on-field party.

ESPN actually did a segment on this... why do fans seeminly rush the field ALL the time? It is supposed to be only for monumentous upsets or championships... case in point: Princeton beat a ranked Harvard basketball team at Princeton last year. Guess what... the fans rushed the court, despite the fact that Harvard had not won in Jadwin since 1988 and Princeton had won something like 25 of the last 30 games. Morons.

It's an epidemic, stupid, and wrong. Stay in your seats.

Pard4Life
November 18th, 2012, 10:35 AM
I heard an F-Lafayette and F-Lehigh chant yesterday... I expect getting a condemnation email from Dan Weiss shortly on fan behavior and dignity.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2012, 10:36 AM

I don't want to sound like a stick-in-the-mud. Like you guys, I really enjoyed the fact that the students were into things. But where were they vs. Colgate?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2012, 10:37 AM
ESPN actually did a segment on this... why do fans seeminly rush the field ALL the time? It is supposed to be only for monumentous upsets or championships.

Leh/Laf is a championship in itself every year.

Engineer86
November 18th, 2012, 10:42 AM
I heard an F-Lafayette and F-Lehigh chant yesterday... I expect getting a condemnation email from Dan Weiss shortly on fan behavior and dignity.

I heard it as well, doesn't show much thought. Lehigh was worse with that as a hole. Don't want to sound like a lame old alumni, I know I am, but geez come up with something better

Engineer86
November 18th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Leh/Laf is a championship in itself every year.

I agree with this. Rushing the field at Leh/Laf is tradition. P4L you know that. On this one you sound like sour grapes

PAllen
November 18th, 2012, 11:01 AM
I agree with this. Rushing the field at Leh/Laf is tradition. P4L you know that. On this one you sound like sour grapes

Got to agree. I'm thrilled we won yesterday, and to be honest, that defines a good season in my book. IF we can make a run deep into the playoffs this year, that will be fun to watch, but beating the boys from Easton is what makes a season. In two years at Yankee Stadium, they may or may not talk about recent playoff appearances, but I guarantee they'll be talking about the record in the rivalry game. Taking the lead in that record as soon as possible is what I care about most regarding LU Football. But, LC fans should not despair, they've got a very nice group of freshman at the talent positions coming up. Lehigh could be in trouble for the next few years.

RichH2
November 18th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Chuck
Learned some years ago to be thankful for what I got and not to worry on what I didn't. I relish the spirit I saw Sat. Cant get lost in what I didn't see at Gate. Different game. One 2nd half deflating ,the second transcendant.
P4L , given the cardiac season LU has had I can understand the emotion for players and fans in our 2nd half play. The field display was well earned.

van
November 18th, 2012, 11:09 AM

+1 was very impressed with the student enthusiasm

carney2
November 18th, 2012, 12:46 PM

From the home side it's tough to tell how much true enthusiasm there is because we don't see many people over there the rest of the year. Perhaps it's just the sound that a packed house makes(?) The enthusiasm for the band was, however, really great to see. I'm betting that is one of the very few times those kids felt appreciated and rewarded for all their hours of hard work.

hawkineer
November 18th, 2012, 01:30 PM
No way... that was TERRIBLE! What are you people doing on the field after you've beaten an opponent for five straight years, with a losing record to boot, are ranked, and did not win a championship, and the game was over in the early 4th? When we won four straight we all cheered and went home... no on-field party.

ESPN actually did a segment on this... why do fans seeminly rush the field ALL the time? It is supposed to be only for monumentous upsets or championships... case in point: Princeton beat a ranked Harvard basketball team at Princeton last year. Guess what... the fans rushed the court, despite the fact that Harvard had not won in Jadwin since 1988 and Princeton had won something like 25 of the last 30 games. Morons.

It's an epidemic, stupid, and wrong. Stay in your seats.xbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawling x Want to keep Lehigh students from rushing the field, here's a thought, win the DAMN game!

By the way, I'm surprised that any Laughing-at-it fans even saw these "disgusting, classless" antics of 18-21 years olds, since most were more interested in beating the traffic.xlolxxlolx
I guess it just proves that beating the crap out of the spotted pussies never really gets old.xnodx

Pard4Life
November 18th, 2012, 06:56 PM

No, honestly, no sour grapes, which is why I brought up the Princeton example. Stanford fans did it when they beat USC, something they do with regularity now, and it bugs the heck out of me.

Lehigh did not run on the field in 2001 or 2003. Or 2000 and 1999 if I recall. You don't see Alabama fans rushing the field when they beat LSU do you? Or Duke bball fans.

Pard4Life
November 18th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Anyone see schenanigans or alcohol police? Or have problems?

Lehigh kids kept coming up to us trying to schmoze their way into a beer. One kid who had to be a freshman because he had no facial hair tried to sneak a beer. One of our tailgate guys, a Lehigh guy mind you, had to wrestle it away.

Engineer86
November 18th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Anyone see schenanigans or alcohol police? Or have problems?

Lehigh kids kept coming up to us trying to schmoze their way into a beer. One kid who had to be a freshman because he had no facial hair tried to sneak a beer. One of our tailgate guys, a Lehigh guy mind you, had to wrestle it away.

It seemed like business as usual to me. Lots of cops near the stadium, but saw nothing a few blocks north of the stadium. This was the first time in a while we did not walk over to March to see how things were going there.

On the beer schmooze, when I used to park down where the Lafayette buses arrived, I got much of the same push, at least from the half of the kids that did not run for the corn field

Pards Rule
November 18th, 2012, 07:32 PM
As the riot years ground on, all the truly memorable ones were at Taylor. Some say that it was because of the Taylor configuration that made goofiness more possible. I never understood that explanation and personally believe that Lafayette and the Easton police had two words that the juiced up students just couldn't contend with - German Shepherds. A surprisingly few Easton cops simply patrolled the perimeter if Fisher Field with their dogs and the kids kept their distance. When the game was over and the field was cleared, the cops and dogs stepped aside for the obligatory rush on the goalposts.

Ah Taylor. Nov 21 will be the 25th anniversary of the coldest game I ever attended in my 33 years! I stayed the whole game and at the end there were only 2500 left - most departed at halftime.

RichH2
November 18th, 2012, 07:47 PM
I made it into 3rd then bailed for aRusty Nail and to get some feeling back in my feet.

hawkineer
November 18th, 2012, 08:30 PM
I made it into 3rd then bailed for aRusty Nail and to get some feeling back in my feet.
I made to the end but I learned something valuable. Yukon Jack doesn't do jack when it is that cold.

robsnotes4u
November 18th, 2012, 09:08 PM
I remember the 80's when we use to come to Fargo or they came to UND, last game of NCC regular season. Outside. 20 below reg temp and 40 below with windchill. Drinking schnapps to stay warm. the Bison up by 40 at the half. It was cold but fun. The Bison killed us in my college years. Those poor southern teams use to come up here during the playoffs, they didn't have a chance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RichH2
November 18th, 2012, 09:17 PM
OK, you definitely win the cold war. Wow. Like the schnapps.

ngineer
November 18th, 2012, 09:42 PM

Why? Isn't Weiss an expert on art of the 14th Century or something like that? For Unwanted Carnal Knowledge has been around for centuries..(;-)

ngineer
November 18th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Ah Taylor. Nov 21 will be the 25th anniversary of the coldest game I ever attended in my 33 years! I stayed the whole game and at the end there were only 2500 left - most departed at halftime.
I would have stayed, but I had my 7 year old daughter with me and couldn't justify staying. She was so bundled, she could hardly walk or even see through the slits in the scarf around her head and within her hood..yet she cried that we 'had to go home'. She loved going to Taylor with her daddy so much, we went to the following Spring game that was held in Taylor while it was being demolished so we could sit in our 'seats'( places on the concrete stands) one last time. In reality a very 'warm' memory.

robsnotes4u
November 18th, 2012, 09:49 PM
OK, you definitely win the cold war. Wow. Like the schnapps.

Thank god we have indoor stadiums now!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Southsider
November 19th, 2012, 10:38 AM
No, honestly, no sour grapes, which is why I brought up the Princeton example. Stanford fans did it when they beat USC, something they do with regularity now, and it bugs the heck out of me.

Lehigh did not run on the field in 2001 or 2003. Or 2000 and 1999 if I recall. You don't see Alabama fans rushing the field when they beat LSU do you? Or Duke bball fans.

I think the point you are all missing is that this is the game the LU students accually attend! So not surprised that they go a little bonkers at the end. If they were there throughout the season I doubt you'd see the antics at the end. Who knows.............

Pard4Life
November 19th, 2012, 10:47 AM
I would have stayed, but I had my 7 year old daughter with me and couldn't justify staying. She was so bundled, she could hardly walk or even see through the slits in the scarf around her head and within her hood..yet she cried that we 'had to go home'. She loved going to Taylor with her daddy so much, we went to the following Spring game that was held in Taylor while it was being demolished so we could sit in our 'seats'( places on the concrete stands) one last time. In reality a very 'warm' memory.

Where was your tailgate? Was it directly across from College Hill Tavern in a parking lot? I was there... you had to use the bathroom in what I think was a bank by going down the basement and waiting on line. I took off my LC hat because I did not want to get assualted.

Pard4Life
November 19th, 2012, 03:19 PM
I heard it as well, doesn't show much thought. Lehigh was worse with that as a hole. Don't want to sound like a lame old alumni, I know I am, but geez come up with something better

Uh huhuhuh ehehehe

http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/beavis_butt-head_image_washington_monument_01.jpg

"Uh... Beavis, did the Lehigh guy just say... "a hole" uhuhuhuh"
"Uh... yeah, I like holes.. hehehehe. Lots of holes at Lehigh... hehehehe"
"Holes.. huhuhuh.. or maybe, "A hole" uhuhhuh"
"Your an a hole Butthead.. hehehe... like Lehigh"
"Hole uhuhhuhuh"