PDA

View Full Version : Rhett Bomar and I-AA

psc2445
August 9th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Here is my first attempt at a scoop. I hope it hasnt already been offered. I just heard on ESPN 2's Cold Pizza that Rhett Bomar the former OU quarterback had visited U of Houton and was considering North Texas and I-AA Sam Houston State. Would be a good pickup. Anybody else heard this?

AppGuy04
August 9th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Good pickup talent wise yes, but these teams should just let this kid rot for a while. Besides, he's gonna have to pay back that money before he cn step foot on any field.

cosmo here
August 9th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Here is my first attempt at a scoop. I hope it hasnt already been offered. I just heard on ESPN 2's Cold Pizza that Rhett Bomar the former OU quarterback had visited U of Houton and was considering North Texas and I-AA Sam Houston State. Would be a good pickup. Anybody else heard this?

Yeah, "Bomar Eyes SHSU Transfer" . . http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12241

danefan
August 9th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Sadly, I was watching Around the Horn the other day and Bomar was the topic of discussion.

All the commentators agreed that Bomar should go to an NAIA school to avoid having to sit a year, completely ignorning a IAA transfer possibility. They said that his best shot at making the NFL would be from an NAIA school.

dbackjon
August 9th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Sadly, I was watching Around the Horn the other day and Bomar was the topic of discussion.

All the commentators agreed that Bomar should go to an NAIA school to avoid having to sit a year, completely ignorning a IAA transfer possibility. They said that his best shot at making the NFL would be from an NAIA school.

Romar will probably be suspended from the NCAA for a year regardless - even if he transfers to a I-AA school.

mikebigg
August 9th, 2006, 11:17 AM

I agree... he should consider an NAIA program that fits his interests and whose team he can help. The kid has NFL potential but he needs to play. He has already redshirted so why not play right away if the right fit is available. Especially if the NCAA is gonna suspend him a year (minimum) and also have him sit out an additional season in order to transfer to a D1.

Question...if he is NCAA suspended for 1 season, could he play NAIA and transfer back to 1AA and play instantly? Anyone knows?

BaylorTitan
August 9th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Texas College anybody?

GeauxColonels
August 9th, 2006, 01:13 PM
I agree... he should consider an NAIA program that fits his interests and whose team he can help. The kid has NFL potential but he needs to play. He has already redshirted so why not play right away if the right fit is available. Especially if the NCAA is gonna suspend him a year (minimum) and also have him sit out an additional season in order to transfer to a D1.

Question...if he is NCAA suspended for 1 season, could he play NAIA and transfer back to 1AA and play instantly? Anyone knows?
I would think so. As long as he doesn't play for an NCAA member institution, that would more than likely count for his 1 year suspension.

As for Around the Horn...it's possible they were all thinking the same way: he'll be ineligible in the NCAA for at least a year....so go NAIA. I don't think that sitting out would help him in any way....look at Maurice Clarret.

danefan
August 9th, 2006, 01:15 PM
makes sense. I was thinking his suspension would be a year if he stayed at IA, but that doesn't make sense. It would apply at any NCAA school therefore making the NAIA the natural choice.

wannabegaucho
August 9th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Azusa Pacific has great facilities for NAIA teams, and I believe their football team isn't too shabby, having beaten San Diego 3 years in a row - which isn't much, but still...

GeauxColonels
August 9th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Azusa Pacific has great facilities for NAIA teams, and I believe their football team isn't too shabby, having beaten San Diego 3 years in a row - which isn't much, but still...
But for NAIA, beating an NCAA I-AA team is pretty close to the Super Bowl. :twocents:

ucdtim17
August 9th, 2006, 01:56 PM

They also got killed by Sac last year . . .

TexasTerror
August 9th, 2006, 04:08 PM
But for NAIA, beating an NCAA I-AA team is pretty close to the Super Bowl. :twocents:

St Francis (IN) routed Indiana St last year...remember that one? NAIA over I-AA!

GeauxColonels
August 9th, 2006, 04:28 PM
St Francis (IN) routed Indiana St last year...remember that one? NAIA over I-AA!
That's a big win for an NAIA school. Even in the BAD, HORRIBLE, TERRIBLE years at Nicholls State we still :asswhip: NAIA schools.

ucdtim17
August 9th, 2006, 06:32 PM
That's a big win for an NAIA school. Even in the BAD, HORRIBLE, TERRIBLE years at Nicholls State we still :asswhip: NAIA schools.

I wonder why schools east of the rockies actually PLAY NAIA schools - we have nowhere near the number of football schools out west and we still manage to fill up a DI schedule (Sac doesn't count - NAIA is good competition for them). I could understand one D2, just as I understand I-A schools playing I-AA, but NAIA? There are plenty of I-AA and D2 patsies

TexasTerror
August 9th, 2006, 06:51 PM
I wonder why schools east of the rockies actually PLAY NAIA schools - we have nowhere near the number of football schools out west and we still manage to fill up a DI schedule (Sac doesn't count - NAIA is good competition for them). I could understand one D2, just as I understand I-A schools playing I-AA, but NAIA? There are plenty of I-AA and D2 patsies

Div IIs refused to play SHSU following our I-AA semifinal run. We went all the way down the list to Bacone College, an NAIA out of Oklahoma and proceeded to beat them up 77-7! :eek: This during a 3-7 campaign...where our only other wins were against SELA and SFA...