PDA

View Full Version : Flash in the pan teams

ITmonarch10
October 24th, 2012, 06:14 PM
YSU, El Cid, and Towson each receive some form of hype early on ,but are quickly crashing to the ground. Do any these teams make the playoffs?

Youngstown State (4-3 after a 4 game winning streak knocking off Pitt and UNI now on a 3 game losing streak)
They seem like a legit team .but were probably overrated due UNI traditional dominance making that win over UNI not so special. That said, they are not the MVFC second or third best team this year and aren't going to the playoffs.

Remaining Schedule
10/27/2012 Youngstown State at South Dakota State
11/3/2012 South Dakota at Youngstown State
11/10/2012 Youngstown State at Western Illinois
11/17/2012 Indiana State at Youngstown State

The Citadel (4-3 after knocking off ASU and GSU now lost a FBS game and 2 conference games by a wide margin to middle of the pack socon teams)
El Cid you disappointed me. I was really hoping you would pull a towson this year ,but it does seem you just got lucky against GSU and ASU and won't even come close to reaching the playoffs. I think you only hurt the Socon's chances of sending 3 teams to the playoffs.

Remaining Schedule
Sat, Oct 27 Wofford @ Citadel
Sat, Nov 03 Citadel @ Elon
Sat, Nov 10 VMI @ Citadel
Sat, Nov 17 Furman @ Citadel

Towson (3-4 after becoming the CAA champion last season after being the CAA doormat for year, now lost 2 FBS game, 2 CAA game, and now at center of controversy surrounding Rob Ambrose and Terrance West)

Towson, like YSU, seems like a legit good team ,but are now in full self destruct mode. The Coach benching West and players going to the newspaper to voice complaints was the final sign that the players and coaches don't believe in each other. I think if Towson merely misses the playoffs and doesn't effect the next would be the best they can hope for. However, I feel like Towson is going to return to being the CAA doormat with Rob Ambrosse and West gone from Towson at the end of the season.

Remaining Schedule
Sat, Oct 27 Villanova vs Towson
Sat, Nov 03 Delaware vs Towson
Sat, Nov 10 Towson @ Rhode Island
Sat, Nov 17 New Hampshire vs Towson

0-3 for the playoffs for the flash in the pan teams
Any disagreements?

CID1990
October 24th, 2012, 06:59 PM
YSU, El Cid, and Towson each receive some form of hype early on ,but are quickly crashing to the ground. Do any these teams make the playoffs?

Youngstown State (4-3 after a 4 game winning streak knocking off Pitt and UNI now on a 3 game losing streak)
They seem like a legit team .but were probably overrated due UNI traditional dominance making that win over UNI not so special. That said, they are not the MVFC second or third best team this year and aren't going to the playoffs.

Remaining Schedule

The Citadel (4-3 after knocking off ASU and GSU now lost a FBS game and 2 conference games by a wide margin to middle of the pack socon teams)
El Cid you disappointed me. I was really hoping you would pull a towson this year ,but it does seem you just got lucky against GSU and ASU and won't even come close to reaching the playoffs. I think you only hurt the Socon's chances of sending 3 teams to the playoffs.

Remaining Schedule

Towson (3-4 after becoming the CAA champion last season after being the CAA doormat for year, now lost 2 FBS game, 2 CAA game, and now at center of controversy surrounding Rob Ambrose and Terrance West)

Towson, like YSU, seems like a legit good team ,but are now in full self destruct mode. The Coach benching West and players going to the newspaper to voice complaints was the final sign that the players and coaches don't believe in each other. I think if Towson merely misses the playoffs and doesn't effect the next would be the best they can hope for. However, I feel like Towson is going to return to being the CAA doormat with Rob Ambrosse and West gone from Towson at the end of the season.

Remaining Schedule

Any disagreements?

Well you should be a little more studious of the actual games before you go calling people lucky. Luck does not allow you to go to the Rock and hang more than 50 on ASU. If you were paying attention, you would know that Chatty is in fact a very good team, and you would also know that The Citadel is into the 3-deep in linebackers. If we lose another we will be moving freshman DEs to play LB. We do not have the same defense that was playing at the first of the season.

malibudude
October 24th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Pot meet Kettle, Kettle meet Pot. An E-introduction.

WileECoyote06
October 25th, 2012, 06:00 AM
The SoCon is the 2nd strongest conference currently; and the only weak spot is Western Carolina. It's not surprising at all to me to see some of the 'middle' teams beat up on each other. I personally think if the Citadel gets to 7 - 4; with a loss to Wofford, they have as compelling a case to advance to the playoffs as a 7 - 4 Appalachian State. It just depends on whether or not the committee values who you beat over who you lost to. In the past, that has seemed to be the case.

Citadel will have two top twenty wins (GSU and ASU), an FBS loss, and one top twenty loss (Wofford).
App will have zero top twenty wins, and an FBS loss.

Then again, I doubt many 7 -4 teams are given the benefit of the doubt this year either way. lol

I-AA Fan
October 25th, 2012, 08:53 AM
The SoCon is the 2nd strongest conference currently; and the only weak spot is Western Carolina.

Cough, cough, cough ...someone pat me on the back please. Please support this hypothesis. The MVFC, CAA, Big Sky, and Southland, all have (at least) 3 quality teams. ASU is going the way of Furman ...power to irrelevance. There are (at best) two good clubs in the SoCon. Still ...ASU and GSU are two of the most over-rated clubs in the nation. ASU is in the same boat as YSU ...one more and they are out (or at least should be out) of the play-off picture.

Let us pretend the games are over. Let's see who deserves a spot in "the dance". First, you
need to take off 3-teams for "questionably-derserved" autobids. That leaves 17 more
teams to be selected. Now take into account these simple facts:

1. The surge of NCCU, would put the MEAC at 2-deep.
2. The OVC has really emerged & should not be a 1-team show this year.
3. The Patriot will go 2-deep should Lehigh not win the conference.
4. SeLU could very-well win the Southland, so there would be 3 entries

These likely items really mean that only 14 teams can be chosen. So look at all of the 2-loss (or less) clubs that are within 1-game of first-place in their respective conference. You should see that the most the SoCon deserves to see is 2 (GSU and Wofford if it was today). Yet the MVFC, CAA, Big Sky, and quite possibly the SLC will go three-deep. All but the SLC could easily argue a 4th team bid for their conference. Of course, this leaves one conference to go 4-deep (depending on outcome of Patriot). If that is the case, we all know what conference the Selection Committee always favors ...it will happen again this year ...even though the Big Sky and MVFC are more-deserving.

All of this being said (posted) ...we still have 4 more weeks ...so let's play them and do this again around Thanksgiving.

appfan2008
October 25th, 2012, 09:09 AM
no luck in the ASU v TC game... the better team ran roughshod over the home team favorite!

woffordgrad94
October 25th, 2012, 09:41 AM
I do not think these teams will make the playoffs.

RabidRabbit
October 25th, 2012, 11:01 AM
The Big Sky of 2012 is not comparible to prior editions as the league basically folded in a very solid Great West conference (minus the dog of the GWFC, this year at least). Most years, the Great West should have had a qualifier. So, add 1 play-off team to the 2 or 3 the BSC typically have to reflect the tougher/larger BSC. On the east coast, the CAA is a bit softer with newbies ODU and GaSt added in, but with a loss of UMass/Northeastern. Adding another quality program, such as USD, or ODU to a conference is a good change. Adding a Savannah St or TAMU-CC, not so much.

Fear the Bird
October 25th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Towson is @ Delaware on 11/3, FYI

URMite
October 25th, 2012, 11:59 AM

Remaining Schedule

Remaining Schedule

Remaining Schedule

Any disagreements?

I think all of these teams need a sweep of the remaining games to make the playoffs. YSU has the best chance to do that but I would expect less than 50/50.

Towson has by far the slimmest chance of winning out, but if they do, then at 7-4 with no Div II & 2 FBS losses, they would be one of 5 or so 7 win teams that would be considered if a 7 win team is needed.

I-AA Fan
October 25th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Also, as to the original post ...

1. If YSU wins out, they could still end up in 4th or 5th in the conference ...but with an 8-3 record, what would then end up being wins against 4 top-25 clubs, and Pitt (FBS). They are in ...no question.

2. Towson: I would not call them a "flash in the pan", as they have yet to flash. Although I think many people underestimated Kent State when they lost to Kentucky ...now look at them. I would not be surprised if they defeat Rutgers this weekend. That would help the Tigers.

3. Citadel: I would not call them a flash either. It is just that the demise of Furman, and the recent mediocrity of ASU leave a conference with no top-end. Anyone can fill the spot. The SoCon Big-3 went to the big-2 when Marshall left. Then GSU fell on tough times & it became the Big-1 (Furman). Now with Furman hitting tough times, it is still the big-1 as GSU has improved. Citadel has always been a contender in the distant past, and is moving back in that direction. We will see if it lasts when Furman gets back on track. GSU will never be fully returned until they realize that you cannot run the triple-option with a read component. With the speed and size of that team, when they add a base option, look out!

TheRevSFA
October 25th, 2012, 12:21 PM
If SFA wins out they are 7-4. That would include beating SELA. If SELA's only loss is to UCA, then there's a different 3 way tie at the top (that infers that they beat Sam) If SELA loses to both Sam and UCA, but beats SFA, then there's only a two horse race at the top.

If SELA loses to all 3, and SHSU, UCA, and SFA wins out..SFA gets the autobid.

The Southland is a mess still

Fear the Bird
October 25th, 2012, 12:34 PM
If SFA wins out they are 7-4. That would include beating SELA. If SELA's only loss is to UCA, then there's a different 3 way tie at the top (that infers that they beat Sam) If SELA loses to both Sam and UCA, but beats SFA, then there's only a two horse race at the top.
J
If SELA loses to all 3, and SHSU, UCA, and SFA wins out..SFA gets the autobid.

The Southland is a mess still

Not sure what that has to do with anything in this thread?