PDA

View Full Version : JMU To Start Freshman QB Michael Birdsong Against GAST

jmufan
October 22nd, 2012, 08:58 PM
Not sure if you can read the rivals article, but Thorpe was benched this past weekend for true Freshman QB Michael Birdsong. He play half of the 3rd Quarter and all of the 4th Quarter almost bringing the Dukes back for a miraculous victory. http://jamesmadison.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1426010 I know what people will say, experience matters and you are correct. With that said, Birdsong has played in 5 of the 7 games in mop-up duty, so he isn't without experience. If you are going to go with a new QB, best to start them against a not so good team like GAST.

ITmonarch10
October 22nd, 2012, 09:06 PM
IDK about that decision to start the backup quarterback against one of the worse teams in FCS. GAST won't tell you if your QB is good or bad.

eagle07
October 22nd, 2012, 09:07 PM
No worries, victory in hand.....

jmufan
October 22nd, 2012, 09:10 PM
I think the right decision was made. At least he will get reps. Birdsong has a presence about him. It is hard to explain. Every game that Birdsong went in, save the first game, he did extremely well. JMU was a totally different team with Birdsong than they were with Thorpe this past Saturday. Even in mop up duty against other teams and against WVU, the teams offense seemed to play better.

GATA_Eagles
October 22nd, 2012, 09:11 PM
GAST should start their band and you would probably get a better showing

jmufan
October 23rd, 2012, 08:27 AM
LOL. Gast is like a broke down pinto.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

eaglewraith
October 23rd, 2012, 09:23 AM
Well, it's always good to let your true freshman get some reps in a scrimmage.

kdinva
October 23rd, 2012, 09:24 AM
....Birdsong has a presence about him......a totally different team with Birdsong....even in mop up duty.....the team's offense seemed to play better.

some in Lex. have noticed a similar "happening".........

mcveyrl
October 23rd, 2012, 04:00 PM
According to the DNR beat writer, Thorpe is nowhere to be found at practice. The Vanderbilt transfer us running the second team offense.

mcveyrl
October 23rd, 2012, 04:04 PM
Nevermind. Thorpe is No. 2 QB. Taking the day off.

jmufan
October 23rd, 2012, 06:57 PM
Nevermind. Thorpe is No. 2 QB. Taking the day off.

I don't know. could be nothing taking the day off, but could also be Thorpe still not handling the benching very well still. I hope he does not quit, but could see it happening. Taking the day off could be him thinking of whether or not he is going to stay or go. I don't think Thorpe would have gotten as upset as he did Saturday on the sideline if he didn't feel threaten by Birdsong. If he knew he wasn't going to possibly lose his job for good, no way would he have gone mad on the sideline.