PDA

View Full Version : Lafayetter to Renovate Kirby Field House, But Reduce Seating?

ngineer
October 20th, 2012, 08:41 AM
According to news article in today's Morning Call, Kirby to undergo facelift for the 2013-14 year. Chairback seating, long overdue, but will reduce capacity to 2650 from current 4000?! Granted, Leopards rarely sell out, but the LU-LC game and playoffs have brought sell outs in the past. Just surprised the chairbacks will reduce capacity by that much. Of course the "American azz" is getting bigger every year...

NoCoDanny
October 28th, 2012, 04:13 PM
We did a similar thing like 6 or 7 years ago and went from 4,500 to 3,000 but it's so much nicer, well worth it.

HailSzczur
October 28th, 2012, 10:07 PM
http://www.goleopards.com/genrel/101912aab.html

They're also getting a 4-sided video score board which is pretty sweet, I wish we had one of those. My question is are the chair back seating going to be permanent or roll back? If my memory serves me right the current set up is the whole place rolls up and leaves a huge floor space in the middle? That's what I remember from my open house visit a few years back

ngineer
October 29th, 2012, 01:32 PM
http://www.goleopards.com/genrel/101912aab.html

They're also getting a 4-sided video score board which is pretty sweet, I wish we had one of those. My question is are the chair back seating going to be permanent or roll back? If my memory serves me right the current set up is the whole place rolls up and leaves a huge floor space in the middle? That's what I remember from my open house visit a few years back

Don't know for sure, but my guess is that the seats or most of them will be roll back so as to give them flexibilty in using the facility for large events, like graduation, large attendance speakers, etc.

CHIP72
November 4th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Most of the Kirby Sports Center seating is fold-up seating, not unlike most of the seating at the Pavilion and the lower level seating at Stabler Arena.

Lafayette has good support for men's college basketball when they have good teams. I think a 2,600 seat facility is too small. Also, I hope whatever fold-up seats have sufficient leg room, unlike the seats at say Bender Arena (American University).