PDA

View Full Version : Idaho to join Big Sky in non-football sports in 2014

Laker
October 19th, 2012, 12:53 PM
http://collegesportsinfo.com/2012/10/19/idaho-to-big-sky-for-non-football-sports/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Sorry if anyone else has already posted this. The WAC will have to grab someone to get back up to six teams. Will Idaho eventually join for football too? And what about NM State?

darell1976
October 19th, 2012, 01:17 PM
http://collegesportsinfo.com/2012/10/19/idaho-to-big-sky-for-non-football-sports/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Sorry if anyone else has already posted this. The WAC will have to grab someone to get back up to six teams. Will Idaho eventually join for football too? And what about NM State?

Idaho will move to the BSC for football if no conference is found within 2 years. They cannot survive in Indy hell for anything longer than that. Either BSC or drop football. Teams like BYU, Navy, Notre Dame, and Army can survive the Indy league but not Idaho.

woffordgrad94
October 19th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Idaho needs to go back to the Big Sky in football. They'd be a mediocre team there now I bet.

Grizalltheway
October 19th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Idaho will move to the BSC for football if no conference is found within 2 years. They cannot survive in Indy hell for anything longer than that. Either BSC or drop football. Teams like BYU, Navy, Notre Dame, and Army can survive the Indy league but not Idaho.

Agree, but I think the elitist pricks known as most Idaho supporters would rather see them drop it than come crawling back to the Sky.

poly51
October 19th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Agree, but I think the elitist pricks known as most Idaho supporters would rather see them drop it than come crawling back to the Sky.

Before they decide to drop it they should check with fans from Cal State Fullerton, Long Beach State, Pacific, etc, etc, etc. Those fans would love to have FCS Football.

bonarae
October 19th, 2012, 05:19 PM
I agree that Idaho should go down or drop football, but I sense that the latter may happen. The elite don't accept going down. xsmhx

ursus arctos horribilis
October 19th, 2012, 05:27 PM

They are definitely gonna do all they can to stay. Just saw that they have scheduled ODU to make a trip to Moscow for 2013 and I'm not sure if that will count for their FBS game totals but I assume it must since ODU will be in transition.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 19th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Idaho will return the trip in 2019 btw.

Laker
October 19th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Idaho could probably schedule Minnesota. They just paid North Carolina 800,000 to take them off of the schedule. Yes, North Carolina.

Laker
October 19th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Here is an official announcement

http://www.ktvq.com/news/idaho-to-join-big-sky-in-all-sports-except-football-in-2014/

Laker
October 19th, 2012, 07:24 PM
VANDAL FOOTBALL 2013
DATE OPPONENT CONFERENCE LOCATION SERIES FIRST PLAYED
Aug. 31 North Texas Sun Belt Denton, Texas UNT leads 4-5 1996
Sept. 7 Wyoming Mountain West Laramie, Wyo. Idaho leads 4-2 1921
Sept. 14 Northern Illinois Mid-American Moscow, Idaho Tied 3-3 1969
Sept. 21 Washington State Pac-12 Pullman, Wash. WSU leads 69-17-3 1894
Sept. 28 Temple Big East Moscow, Idaho First meeting -
Oct. 5 Fresno State Mountain West Moscow, Idaho Fresno State leads 10-4 1946
Oct. 12 Arkansas State Sun Belt Jonesboro, Ark. Tied 4-4 1975
Oct. 19 Bye
Oct. 26 Mississippi SEC Oxford, Miss First meeting -
Nov. 2 New Mexico State Independent Moscow, Idaho Idaho leads 13-5 1971
Nov. 9 Old Dominion Colonial Moscow, Idaho First meeting -
Nov. 16 Bye
Nov. 23 BCS opponent TBA -
Nov. 30 New Mexico State Independent Las Cruces, N.M. Idaho leads 13-5 1971

They play NM State twice, and ODU at home.

NoCoDanny
October 19th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Why are so many people suggesting they drop football? Encouraging other schools to drop football is moronic regardless of some issues with their classification.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 19th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Why are so many people suggesting they drop football? Encouraging other schools to drop football is moronic regardless of some issues with their classification.

Who, on here, did that?

darell1976
October 20th, 2012, 08:51 AM
VANDAL FOOTBALL 2013
DATE OPPONENT CONFERENCE LOCATION SERIES FIRST PLAYED
Aug. 31 North Texas Sun Belt Denton, Texas UNT leads 4-5 1996
Sept. 7 Wyoming Mountain West Laramie, Wyo. Idaho leads 4-2 1921
Sept. 14 Northern Illinois Mid-American Moscow, Idaho Tied 3-3 1969
Sept. 21 Washington State Pac-12 Pullman, Wash. WSU leads 69-17-3 1894
Sept. 28 Temple Big East Moscow, Idaho First meeting -
Oct. 5 Fresno State Mountain West Moscow, Idaho Fresno State leads 10-4 1946
Oct. 12 Arkansas State Sun Belt Jonesboro, Ark. Tied 4-4 1975
Oct. 19 Bye
Oct. 26 Mississippi SEC Oxford, Miss First meeting -
Nov. 2 New Mexico State Independent Moscow, Idaho Idaho leads 13-5 1971
Nov. 9 Old Dominion Colonial Moscow, Idaho First meeting -
Nov. 16 Bye
Nov. 23 BCS opponent TBA -
Nov. 30 New Mexico State Independent Las Cruces, N.M. Idaho leads 13-5 1971

They play NM State twice, and ODU at home.

Who is the last FBS team to play the same team twice in the regular season?

darell1976
October 20th, 2012, 08:53 AM

I see Idaho dropping football as a last resort if they are too stubborn to see the financial losses they are taking by staying in the Indy league past 2 years (they are going to be f*d beyond that). Big Sky football makes more sense for UI and if the AD can't see that they are just digging their own grave.

Laker
October 20th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Who is the last FBS team to play the same team twice in the regular season?

Really good question. Some stat person might know.

NoCoDanny
October 20th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Who, on here, did that?

There were people on the first page saying if Idaho doesn't do X they should drop football... heck even if Idaho and NMSU had to play each other 12 times a year I'd suggest that over dropping the program... of course I'm being ridiculous there but my point is I'd never mention dropping a program ever because being a football fan anytime a school drops a program regardless of the issues or the classification it's a shame. Heck a D3 locally here, Colorado College dropped it's program a few years back and although I have no connection to the school or that community I still felt their pain.

We need to grow the sport and encourage schools to add programs instead of ever suggesting they drop it.

Just my opinion rip me it you want.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 20th, 2012, 03:35 PM
There were people on the first page saying if Idaho doesn't do X they should drop football... heck even if Idaho and NMSU had to play each other 12 times a year I'd suggest that over dropping the program... of course I'm being ridiculous there but my point is I'd never mention dropping a program ever because being a football fan anytime a school drops a program regardless of the issues or the classification it's a shame. Heck a D3 locally here, Colorado College dropped it's program a few years back and although I have no connection to the school or that community I still felt their pain.

We need to grow the sport and encourage schools to add programs instead of ever suggesting they drop it.

Just my opinion rip me it you want.

I ain't ripping ya. You just don't know what you read it would appear. Nobody said what you said they were saying.

The closest thing to what you are saying was being put forth was by GATW and what he said was they should come back to the BSC but that the Idaho fans are some elitist pricks that would probably say THEY should drop football althogether as opposed to going back to the BSC.

Big difference in what your perspective of what people were saying.

dgtw
October 22nd, 2012, 05:47 PM
I think the "drop down or drop out" comments were suggesting its going to be hard to make it as an independant. Their name has zero market value, so they will never be on TV. While they've pieced together a decent schedule this year, can they keep that up? Will any of the road games this year be going to Idaho next year? How many of their home games will they have to visit next year? They might get some to agree to 2 for 1, but too many of those and you've got a Ponzi scheme going. And playing the same team twice just looks stupid. If NMSU somehow begs their way into another league, that will end.

Has NMSU given any indication as to their schedule?

Laker
October 22nd, 2012, 06:45 PM

I've been trying to find out how things are going at NM St. Haven't found out anything. Idaho is a natural for the Big Sky for football- the Aggies kind of sit down there by themselves. I'm not sure if they could ever get into the MWC- that would be the best for them. I've heard stories both ways about New Mexico being against them and being for them coming in. CUSA- it sounds like UTEP is against them coming in. That would be a natural rivalry- those two are really close.

I wonder if anyone on here really knows or has info.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 22nd, 2012, 07:02 PM
I think the "drop down or drop out" comments were suggesting its going to be hard to make it as an independant. Their name has zero market value, so they will never be on TV. While they've pieced together a decent schedule this year, can they keep that up? Will any of the road games this year be going to Idaho next year? How many of their home games will they have to visit next year? They might get some to agree to 2 for 1, but too many of those and you've got a Ponzi scheme going. And playing the same team twice just looks stupid. If NMSU somehow begs their way into another league, that will end.

There will also be no TV money to speak of and that is the dagger that they can not get around after next season.

LakesBison
October 22nd, 2012, 09:26 PM
idaho has a few blowouts vs big sky teams and is better than the big sky and should stay fbs.

Laker
October 22nd, 2012, 09:29 PM
idaho has a few blowouts vs big sky teams and is better than the big sky and should stay fbs.

Maybe the Gophers can fill their schedule with Idaho instead of North Carolina. They will be playing NM State again.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 22nd, 2012, 10:13 PM

Wrong again tiger. With a scholly advantage I believe Idaho has a losing record vs. BSC opponents since they departed.

FBS is doing them a world of good.

darell1976
October 22nd, 2012, 10:29 PM
http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2012/10/19/bmurphy/idaho_announe_2013_football_schedule_today_move_ot her_sports_big

The Big Sky Conference has already begun the process of exploring a move to a two-division, six-team format starting in 2014-15 for sports such as basketball and volleyball.

LakesBison
October 22nd, 2012, 11:42 PM
IDAHO 5-1 vs Big Fluffy since Oct 2003 dam near 10 years TIGER http://michigan-football.com/ncaa/f/idaho.htm

2 wins over idaho state and und, 1 win over cal poly

Wrong again tiger. With a scholly advantage I believe Idaho has a losing record vs. BSC opponents since they departed.

FBS is doing them a world of good.

clenz
October 22nd, 2012, 11:51 PM
Sinec lakes brought up the 2003 time frame....since 03 Idaho has done the following vs current Big Sky teams

7 point win over Cal Poly in 07.....Cal Poly wasn't in the Big Sky at that point
3 point loss to EWU in 2003....yep
17 point loss to EWU in 2012....they were blown out
3 point win over Idaho State in 2006....not impressive at all
15 point win over Idaho State in 2008....given ISU's history that isn't a blowout.
13 point loss to Montana in 2003
45-0 win over UND in 2010...UND wasn't full D1 yet, nor Big Sky
44-14 win over UND in 2011...UND wasn't full D1 yet, nor Big Sky

That means Idaho 5-3 vs the current Big Sky...but only 2-3 against teams that were in the Big Sky at the time of the game....and winless against good BSC teams.

Try again lakes.

MplsBison
October 26th, 2012, 12:50 PM
I see Idaho dropping football as a last resort if they are too stubborn to see the financial losses they are taking by staying in the Indy league past 2 years (they are going to be f*d beyond that). Big Sky football makes more sense for UI and if the AD can't see that they are just digging their own grave.

What financial losses?

Take a look at that schedule vs this years schedule and tell me where the financial losses comes from. I don't see it, myself.

darell1976
October 26th, 2012, 12:57 PM
What financial losses?

Take a look at that schedule vs this years schedule and tell me where the financial losses comes from. I don't see it, myself.

Since they will be an Indy team don't they have to pay teams to come to Moscow? Try to find 5 or 6 teams to play is going to cost money. Plus the loss in ticket sales (since no Boise St their attendance is crap). I just see their Athletic Department going into the Red if they don't find a conference.

MplsBison
October 26th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Since they will be an Indy team don't they have to pay teams to come to Moscow? Try to find 5 or 6 teams to play is going to cost money. Plus the loss in ticket sales (since no Boise St their attendance is crap). I just see their Athletic Department going into the Red if they don't find a conference.

Not if they sign home and home deals. They need away games too, so I don't see that being a big deal.

How are they going to lose ticket sales with the teams they have coming into Moscow in 2013 vs. this year? Looks pretty comparable.

LakesBison
October 26th, 2012, 02:27 PM
clenz is wrong again

IDAHO 5-1 vs Big Fluffy since Oct 2003 dam near 10 years TIGER http://michigan-football.com/ncaa/f/idaho.htm

2 wins over idaho state and und, 1 win over cal poly

ITS RIGHT THERE IN THE LINK!

clenz
October 26th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Sinec lakes brought up the 2003 time frame....since 03 Idaho has done the following vs current Big Sky teams

7 point win over Cal Poly in 07.....Cal Poly wasn't in the Big Sky at that point
3 point loss to EWU in 2003....yep
17 point loss to EWU in 2012....they were blown out
3 point win over Idaho State in 2006....not impressive at all
15 point win over Idaho State in 2008....given ISU's history that isn't a blowout.
13 point loss to Montana in 2003
45-0 win over UND in 2010...UND wasn't full D1 yet, nor Big Sky
44-14 win over UND in 2011...UND wasn't full D1 yet, nor Big Sky

That means Idaho 5-3 vs the current Big Sky...but only 2-3 against teams that were in the Big Sky at the time of the game....and winless against good BSC teams.

Try again lakes.
I'll just quote myself because...well I'm right

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/wac/idaho/vs_conf_opponents.php?confid=20&restrictions=none

ursus arctos horribilis
October 26th, 2012, 04:07 PM
I'll just quote myself because...well I'm right

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/wac/idaho/vs_conf_opponents.php?confid=20&restrictions=none
Yes. Until a team is part of your conference you do not get to count their wins or their losses against the conference.

Lakes, you are dead wrong on this one so just stop. Acquiesce to the winner(s) and move along.

clenz
October 26th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Yes. Until a team is part of your conference you do not get to count their wins or their losses against the conference.

Lakes, you are dead wrong on this one so just stop. Acquiesce to the winner(s) and move along.
If it was anyone but me or mpls he would....but we all know he can't admit I'm right.

LakesBison
October 26th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Ah I included big fluffy teams even before they started the big fluffy.....but they were big fluffy invited and big fluffy programs in the making.

So ill say 5-1 you say 5-3 . Tomato Tomatoe

clenz
October 26th, 2012, 11:06 PM
You can't take the losses away unless you are excluding EWU....who has always been Big Sky. You're adding games from teams that weren't big sky - and taking away games that were big sky.

You're not smart.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 26th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Ah I included big fluffy teams even before they started the big fluffy.....but they were big fluffy invited and big fluffy programs in the making.

So ill say 5-1 you say 5-3 . Tomato Tomatoe

No, they were part of the conference you were part of at the time. Those are wins against the GWFC...not the BSC as you had said. BTW it is 3-2 in favor of the BSC and it would be worse than that if Montana's 4 straight wins over them were included and not just the last one.

Idaho State is the only team they can count as wins and pretty much everyone in the BSC can also claim that so that is a wash there.

You were wrong, nothing wrong with admitting that Lakes and using the correct numbers.

LakesBison
October 27th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Well were THOSE SCHOOLS WERE ACCEPTED IN AT THAT TIME?

clenz
October 27th, 2012, 10:43 AM

No...not even close

Sent from the nexus of the universe

darell1976
October 27th, 2012, 03:39 PM

Accepted yes and no. UND and Southern Utah were accepted on Oct 29th 2010 so only 1 game against Idaho would count against UND...however!!!! UND, SUU, Cal Poly and UC Davis didn't OFFICIALLY join the Big Sky until July 1, 2012. So technically we weren't a part of the Big Sky until 3 months ago. So UND vs Idaho does not count.

http://www.bigskyconf.com/news/2010/11/1/gen_1101105326.aspx

OGDEN, UTAH (November 1, 2010) - The Big Sky Conference is privileged to announce that the University of North Dakota and Southern Utah University have accepted invitations to become core members of the Division I conference.

Both institutions received formal invitations from the league Friday, Oct. 29, advancing a process that began when the presidents of the nine current Big Sky Conference core universities approved expansion plans at their annual fall meeting on Oct. 20. Both institutions will officially join the Big Sky on July 1, 2012. However, representatives from both institutions will begin working immediately with the current membership on scheduling, marketing, and other conference matters.

MplsBison
October 27th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Not if they sign home and home deals. They need away games too, so I don't see that being a big deal.

How are they going to lose ticket sales with the teams they have coming into Moscow in 2013 vs. this year? Looks pretty comparable.

I don't want lakes' bafoonery to mess up my good point here.