PDA

View Full Version : What is the current make up of NEC football?

DSUrocks07
October 15th, 2012, 09:51 AM
With URI staying in the CAA, and Albany heading for that conference as well. How many teams do/will they have in 2013? Is there any word of teams coming in to replace them?

aceinthehole
October 15th, 2012, 10:14 AM
With URI staying in the CAA, and Albany heading for that conference as well. How many teams do/will they have in 2013? Is there any word of teams coming in to replace them?

1. Bryant
2. Central Connecticut State
3. Duquesne
4. Monmouth
5. Robert Morris
6. Sacred Heart
7. Saint Francis (Pa)
8. Wagner

No prospective members have been publicly discussed. I would expect the league to look like this for 2013 and beyond.

Ivytalk
October 15th, 2012, 10:16 AM
I hear they prefer heavy mascara, a dab of rouge, and bright red lipstick.:D

aceinthehole
October 15th, 2012, 10:22 AM
I don't think any of the following schools are seriously considering the NEC right now, but I would guess the conference leadership has probably reached out to them recently to gauge their interest, if any:

- Marist
- Georgetown
- Delaware State
- Dayton

danefan
October 15th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Georgetown is the easiest to get to come on board as it would just mean a football affiliate and G'town wouldn't have to spend anything different than are right now. But G'town is probably the furthest from an institutional fit of the potential targets.

Del State would want an all-sports membership.
Marist and Dayton would need to increase their spending and probably won't.

DFW HOYA
October 15th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Georgetown is the easiest to get to come on board as it would just mean a football affiliate and G'town wouldn't have to spend anything different than are right now. But G'town is probably the furthest from an institutional fit of the potential targets.

Pros:
1. Comparable spending
2. No academic index
3. Can still play PL schools out of conf. (Bucknell, HC)
4. Can still play Ivies

Cons:
1. Little in common with any of these schools
2. Perceived step down?
2. Even less fan interest in these games
4. Scholarships still an issue/problem/challenge

aceinthehole
October 15th, 2012, 10:36 AM

Del State would want an all-sports membership.
Marist and Dayton would need to increase their spending and probably won't.

Yep.

Georgetown does not want to swap leage games with Fordham, Lehigh, and Holy Cross for Wagner, Robert Morris, and CCSU. Georgetown joining the NEC is not very likely.

Marist makes the most sense and they could do it no problem. Remember, the NEC has no minimums and they could still offer grants instead of schollys, if they wish. I know they have no interest in increasing their budget, but they could join the NEC as an affilate to play a regional schedule and keep the budget low.

The NEC would take Dayton, if they wanted to join, but I imagine it would be with some reservations. Again, Dayton could play in the NEC without adding schollys or increasing their budget. I actually think that Bryant, CCSU, SHU, Wagner, and Monmouth would hesitate to adding a flight for a league game, but would probably do it if it helped the league overall.

Delaware State would likely need the all-sports invite, but that may be an option in the future if say Quinnipiac bolted for the MAAC or America East.

aceinthehole
October 15th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Cons:
1. Little in common with any of these schools
2. Perceived step down?
2. Even less fan interest in these games
4. Scholarships still an issue/problem/challenge

I do not think your fan interest would decresease noticably. And I don't think G-town has a problem playing any of the NEC schools per se, I just don't think they would "drop down" to join them in the same league.

I also don't think schollys would be a huge issue, because the NEC has no minimum and the Hoyas can out recruit NEC teams based on their own academic reputation and other factors. Schollys would help for sure, but I think the G-town 'status quo' works better in the NEC than the PL.

IMO - Georgetown would be much more competative in the NEC than URI would have been.

DetroitFlyer
October 15th, 2012, 11:31 AM
I think Georgetown is heading to the PFL....

DFW HOYA
October 15th, 2012, 12:05 PM
I think Georgetown is heading to the PFL....

As opposed to the Big East? Both seem without any basis of fact at this point.

Sader87
October 15th, 2012, 12:22 PM

Can we come too???

DetroitFlyer
October 15th, 2012, 12:53 PM

OK, so MAYBE I made up the Georgetown to the PFL comment.... It would make sense on many levels for GT. With the PFL gaining an autobid next year, I see far more upside in the PFL for GT than the NEC or PL. I'm sure the team would like playing in sunny San Diego or Jacksonville as compared to let's just say Albany in November.... Or even the best opportunity in the land.... Wait for it.... Playing in Dayton, Ohio anytime of the year...!:D GT could also be a contender in the PFL most seasons as compared to let's just say sporadic performance in the PL over the years. GT also would have more in common with most of the PFL schools as compared to the NEC. GT just needs to get over the less than ideal MAAC experience. The PFL in 2012 and beyond is completely different.