PDA

View Full Version : The Montana collapse is complete......

putter
October 13th, 2012, 06:23 PM
After an ugly 30-20 loss to Southern Utah, the Griz fall to 1-3 in conference and, in all likelihood, fall out of playoff contention. I could really complain about a lot of things regarding that program right now. I will just chalk it up to a very young team and coaching staff and leave it there. I feel if I start typing about what my bitches are I will never stop. Here is to getting better.

P.S. --> Where is CrapsVille???????

FCS Go!
October 13th, 2012, 06:33 PM
I think you might be calling "complete" a bit early ...:(

Hambone
October 13th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Don't worry - UND's defense is just what the doctor ordered next week. We can't stop anyone.....

frozennorth
October 13th, 2012, 06:44 PM
wrong thread

Drblankstare
October 13th, 2012, 06:46 PM
I wouldn't hang my head too low, hard to keep a program like this down for long.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 13th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Montana has been extremely competitive in their 4 losses. They are hardly a "bad" team. They simply don't do the little things to win.

Ronin
October 13th, 2012, 07:03 PM
After an ugly 30-20 loss to Southern Utah, the Griz fall to 1-3 in conference and, in all likelihood, fall out of playoff contention. I could really complain about a lot of things regarding that program right now. I will just chalk it up to a very young team and coaching staff and leave it there. I feel if I start typing about what my bitches are I will never stop. Here is to getting better.

P.S. --> Where is CrapsVille???????

You're not alone. UNI has continued to self destruct week after week.

Grizalltheway
October 13th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Montana has been extremely competitive in their 4 losses. They are hardly a "bad" team. They simply don't do the little things to win.

Spot on, but it really only makes me feel worse about it. So much wasted talent on this team.xsmhxxsmhx

WataugaDave
October 13th, 2012, 07:39 PM
It's amazing. Everyone thought the App State-Montana game was the clash of the titans. Turns out it was a clash of two of the weakest teams the programs have fielded in recent memory.

UNIFanSince1983
October 13th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Yeah which way to Crapsville? I don't think Montana or UNI will be down for long, but even 1 year being down sucks enough!

putter
October 13th, 2012, 10:08 PM

True Lehigh. It is very difficult to see what has happened this year. Like I said, chalk it up to a young team and young coaching staff who need to grow and get better.

Grizalltheway
October 13th, 2012, 11:45 PM
It's amazing. Everyone thought the App State-Montana game was the clash of the titans. Turns out it was a clash of two of the weakest teams the programs have fielded in recent memory.

Might be true for App, but this Griz team is definitely more talented than the 2010 edition.

Thundering_Herd
October 14th, 2012, 12:29 AM
Yeah which way to Crapsville? I don't think Montana or UNI will be down for long, but even 1 year being down sucks enough!

I still think that UNI had a top 10 team this year...they just beat themselves up with that schedule! Badgers, Hawkeyes and a non-counter? Ouch. Those 3 games and the tough conference in general killed them.

SoCalAg
October 14th, 2012, 12:30 AM
Man, I know we're new to the BSC, but I'd take this "collapse" any day. Montana could easily be a one or two loss team. Although I am enjoying their struggles.

uofmman1122
October 14th, 2012, 12:39 AM
Man, I know we're new to the BSC, but I'd take this "collapse" any day. Montana could easily be a one or two loss team. Although I am enjoying their struggles.In my honest, unprofessional opinion, our team has the talent to be at least 5-2, but our coaching has been straight comical this season.

Seriously, I want to see a replay of their converted fake punt and share it on here.

It was SOOOOOOO pathetic. xoopsx

wmmii
October 14th, 2012, 12:57 AM
Share your pain, my Tribe is 2-5 and we had hopes of a playoff at the beginning of the year...........

putter
October 14th, 2012, 01:42 AM
In my honest, unprofessional opinion, our team has the talent to be at least 5-2, but our coaching has been straight comical this season.

Seriously, I want to see a replay of their converted fake punt and share it on here.

It was SOOOOOOO pathetic. xoopsx

I agree. At the beginning of the year I was not sure what to expect as this team was young and so was the coaching staff. My frustrations come from what happened at EWU, NAU and now SUU. This team has not shown up for the 2nd half of games. That has been unheard of for Griz teams of the past. They are getting out everything'd in the 2nd half of games this year and is it tough to watch.

Grizalltheway
October 14th, 2012, 01:50 AM
I agree. At the beginning of the year I was not sure what to expect as this team was young and so was the coaching staff. My frustrations come from what happened at EWU, NAU and now SUU. This team has not shown up for the 2nd half of games. That has been unheard of for Griz teams of the past. They are getting out everything'd in the 2nd half of games this year and is it tough to watch.

Nailed it. Extremely frustrating.

UNIFanSince1983
October 14th, 2012, 07:06 AM
I still think that UNI had a top 10 team this year...they just beat themselves up with that schedule! Badgers, Hawkeyes and a non-counter? Ouch. Those 3 games and the tough conference in general killed them.

Wisconsin and Iowa were not the problem. Giving 21 free points to SIU today, and letting YSU come back in the 4th are the problems. Those are 2 games we had won, and could not just put either team away. We win those and we are 3-3 and sitting in a very different position. We have some talent, but we are not a very good football team right now.

uofmman1122
October 14th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Wisconsin and Iowa were not the problem. Giving 21 free points to SIU today, and letting YSU come back in the 4th are the problems. Those are 2 games we had won, and could not just put either team away. We win those and we are 3-3 and sitting in a very different position. We have some talent, but we are not a very good football team right now.Sounds like Montana.

I'll drink to that. xbeerchugx

darell1976
October 14th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Don't worry - UND's defense is just what the doctor ordered next week. We can't stop anyone.....

I agree. I have tickets and I am not that enthused anymore after watching everyone run and throw all over our defense. Montana is going to have a field day with our secondary.

FCS Go!
October 14th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Darrel, you must not have seen our QB play. He is a great runner but doesn't throw well. Our run game may have some fun in ND's secondary but it will not be an aerial show.

putter
October 14th, 2012, 11:26 PM
Never really realized what a poised player JJ was as a young QB.

uofmman1122
October 15th, 2012, 01:56 AM
Never really realized what a poised player JJ was as a young QB.
I also never realized until now how important Pflugrad was to this offense. It seems like our offensive excellence left with him. :(

Griz_are_Beta_AF
October 15th, 2012, 01:23 PM
I agree. I have tickets and I am not that enthused anymore after watching everyone run and throw all over our defense. Montana is going to have a field day with our secondary.

That's what MSU thought this week after the last three or four or all of the weeks, but our secondary wasn't atrocious, really. I was pleased with our defensive play. Yours could easily step up too.

AppAlum2003
October 15th, 2012, 01:27 PM
That's what MSU thought this week after the last three or four or all of the weeks, but our secondary wasn't atrocious, really. I was pleased with our defensive play. Yours could easily step up too.

oh... no... "Griz_are_Beta"... 4chan found it's way to AGS... we're all doomed... hide yo kids, hide yo wife, hide yo husband

ursus arctos horribilis
October 15th, 2012, 01:34 PM
I also never realized until now how important Pflugrad was to this offense. It seems like our offensive excellence left with him. :(

Possibly a bit of an overstatement there. Pflu's offense wasn't real good in 2010 or at least had a lot of trouble holding on to the ball and completing the mission in 2010 just as we are having now. The reason was because we just didn't have the QB making the throws, etc. that we had last year to win games.

Alpha has been saying since spring that we were gonna be in trouble with McKinny because there are many throws that he really struggles with and just has not gotten better at making, always throwing to where a guy is instead of where he is going to be, etc.

He is a terrific athlete but if he had completed even 30% more of those open passes that were big yardage plays then we'd be in a whole lot better situation right now. I am real sure JJ would have made those plays. We have a yourng, inexperienced guy without that one tool to make those plays and it really is killing us. Not his fault it is just something we lack at this time and he did not have any real time to hone that part of this game since he was thrown into the fire.

This current coaching staff would probably look pretty damn good if we had JJ this year so I'm not sure that too much of this can be pinned on the loss of Pflu as the only one that could make this work...it's more to do with the QB resource in my head right now.

UNDColorado
October 15th, 2012, 02:39 PM

This should make for a good game this weekend because we don't seem to show up for the second half either. Frustrating year to say the least...

putter
October 15th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Possibly a bit of an overstatement there. Pflu's offense wasn't real good in 2010 or at least had a lot of trouble holding on to the ball and completing the mission in 2010 just as we are having now. The reason was because we just didn't have the QB making the throws, etc. that we had last year to win games.

Alpha has been saying since spring that we were gonna be in trouble with McKinny because there are many throws that he really struggles with and just has not gotten better at making, always throwing to where a guy is instead of where he is going to be, etc.

He is a terrific athlete but if he had completed even 30% more of those open passes that were big yardage plays then we'd be in a whole lot better situation right now. I am real sure JJ would have made those plays. We have a yourng, inexperienced guy without that one tool to make those plays and it really is killing us. Not his fault it is just something we lack at this time and he did not have any real time to hone that part of this game since he was thrown into the fire.

This current coaching staff would probably look pretty damn good if we had JJ this year so I'm not sure that too much of this can be pinned on the loss of Pflu as the only one that could make this work...it's more to do with the QB resource in my head right now.

I agree with that 100%. JJ makes those throws, especially those that had very open receivers. TM just doesn't have the touch that JJ had.

Gil Dobie
October 15th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Still like to see a pic of Wa-Griz :)

darell1976
October 15th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Darrel, you must not have seen our QB play. He is a great runner but doesn't throw well. Our run game may have some fun in ND's secondary but it will not be an aerial show.

We can't stop any QB. Even a running QB seems to have a big day throwing on us. Fire Muss (our coach) is already running the message board at siouxsports.com along with our DC. UND started out so well but it seems like our defense has played worse and worse. Should be a big crowd as its being known as our "blackout" game to match our jerseys. My pic is UND does outdo Montana....55-51.

GtFllsGriz
October 15th, 2012, 04:29 PM
I fully expect to lose to UND this week. I don't think our offense can keep up with yours. And we are a defensive coordinators wet dream. UGH!

Silenoz
October 15th, 2012, 05:04 PM
All I know is we have to be setting some sort of Big Sky (or FCS... or NCAA...) record for the number of true freshmen lettering in a season xrotatehx

SeattleGriz
October 15th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Still like to see a pic of Wa-Griz :)

It's already too cold to get good photos of Wa-Griz.

uofmman1122
October 15th, 2012, 08:31 PM

Here's my (admitedly biased, homer) opinion.

At the end of last year, when all of the pieces finally started coming together and all of the players bought into the system 100%, the Griz probably had the best offense in FCS. You really saw it in the playoffs, and had it not been for our defense being out of position for an entire quarter against SHSU, we likely would have gone to Frisco against NDSU, and I'm fairly confident our Offense would have matched up a lot better against NDSU than SHSU's gimmicky, new offense that NDSU figured out and defended really well.

Oh well, that didn't happen, so we can only speculate.

However, if you watched the sidelines a lot during the games, you could see that Pflu called the majority of the offense's plays, just like Chip Kelly does at Oregon. He lets his OC scan the field and offer input and coach the players, but he was ultimately the guy that told the offense what to do and where to go. Sometimes it wasn't pretty, like the 3rd down option to the short side against SHSU, but it was really humming when he had it working.

Fast forward to this year, and Rosenbach is now running most of the offense. Dude is a pretty good OC, but has never ran an offense like this, and it really shows in his playcalling and decision making. The players on offense really, REALLY lack the energy and focus that they had last year, especially guys that were great last year that have dropped off significantly.

Sure, the offense this year has had some incredibly productive games: ASU, USD, and EWU, but it seems like that's only when their plan is working.

I think, and this is only way the bipolar offense makes sense to me, that they kind of have a "Pflu Blueprint" to the offense that allows it to excel and do great things, but once they face some adversity, they don't know what to do to change it and keep it effective. We've seen this in literally every game we've lost (and some we've won), save for maybe EWU when it kept working and we just got really unlucky and outplayed in crunchtime.

I think losing JJ was probably the biggest shot to the gut, but I'd bet we'd be closer to 5-2 if Pflu was still at the helm. I think we only saw a taste of what we were capable of at the end of last year, and Pflu could have guided this offense to gaudy numbers and points. His offense could seriously score; something our offense this year has been terrible at, and it lets the defense do whatever they want, instead of us dictating what they should be doing.

All of his players thought he was an offensive genius. The only reason we sucked in 2010 was because none of the our Hauck offense players fit his style. It's an incredible testament to his skill that he got us so far in only 2 years.

In my opinion, and I'm sure lots of Griz fans will disagree, I think we'll look back in a few years and see that letting Robin go was probably the biggest mistake our program has made in a long, long time. I really believe based on what I've seen that he would have made us into a National Championship favorite every year, and I really think he wasn't responsible for the off the field crap that eventually got him scapegoated and fired.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 15th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Here's my (admitedly biased, homer) opinion.

At the end of last year, when all of the pieces finally started coming together and all of the players bought into the system 100%, the Griz probably had the best offense in FCS. You really saw it in the playoffs, and had it not been for our defense being out of position for an entire quarter against SHSU, we likely would have gone to Frisco against NDSU, and I'm fairly confident our Offense would have matched up a lot better against NDSU than SHSU's gimmicky, new offense that NDSU figured out and defended really well.

Oh well, that didn't happen, so we can only speculate.

However, if you watched the sidelines a lot during the games, you could see that Pflu called the majority of the offense's plays, just like Chip Kelly does at Oregon. He lets his OC scan the field and offer input and coach the players, but he was ultimately the guy that told the offense what to do and where to go. Sometimes it wasn't pretty, like the 3rd down option to the short side against SHSU, but it was really humming when he had it working.

Fast forward to this year, and Rosenbach is now running most of the offense. Dude is a pretty good OC, but has never ran an offense like this, and it really shows in his playcalling and decision making. The players on offense really, REALLY lack the energy and focus that they had last year, especially guys that were great last year that have dropped off significantly.

Sure, the offense this year has had some incredibly productive games: ASU, USD, and EWU, but it seems like that's only when their plan is working.

I think, and this is only way the bipolar offense makes sense to me, that they kind of have a "Pflu Blueprint" to the offense that allows it to excel and do great things, but once they face some adversity, they don't know what to do to change it and keep it effective. We've seen this in literally every game we've lost (and some we've won), save for maybe EWU when it kept working and we just got really unlucky and outplayed in crunchtime.

I think losing JJ was probably the biggest shot to the gut, but I'd bet we'd be closer to 5-2 if Pflu was still at the helm. I think we only saw a taste of what we were capable of at the end of last year, and Pflu could have guided this offense to gaudy numbers and points. His offense could seriously score; something our offense this year has been terrible at, and it lets the defense do whatever they want, instead of us dictating what they should be doing.

All of his players thought he was an offensive genius. The only reason we sucked in 2010 was because none of the our Hauck offense players fit his style. It's an incredible testament to his skill that he got us so far in only 2 years.

In my opinion, and I'm sure lots of Griz fans will disagree, I think we'll look back in a few years and see that letting Robin go was probably the biggest mistake our program has made in a long, long time. I really believe based on what I've seen that he would have made us into a National Championship favorite every year, and I really think he wasn't responsible for the off the field crap that eventually got him scapegoated and fired.

Well, i can see truth in all of that but I have to question the last paragraph a bit.

On another matter...do we know why Kemp is unable to play so far this year? What am I missing there?

uofmman1122
October 15th, 2012, 08:56 PM
I dunno. It seems strange to me. First they were saying a four-game suspension, and yet he hasn't come back. I have no idea what the deal is.

We may never see him suit up again.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 15th, 2012, 11:06 PM
I dunno. It seems strange to me. First they were saying a four-game suspension, and yet he hasn't come back. I have no idea what the deal is.

We may never see him suit up again.

There may be a clue in that mess somewhere...just sayin'. Things that don't seem justified on the outside may actually have more to the story. I can't say with any certainty but a couple of sort of odd things put together can start to make for a good theory.

putter
October 20th, 2012, 10:32 PM
We can't stop any QB. Even a running QB seems to have a big day throwing on us. Fire Muss (our coach) is already running the message board at siouxsports.com along with our DC. UND started out so well but it seems like our defense has played worse and worse. Should be a big crowd as its being known as our "blackout" game to match our jerseys. My pic is UND does outdo Montana....55-51.

Well, looks like Montana sure could not stop UND today. He looked like Joe Montana back there against Montana's secondary. Nice win for UND. eGriz on suicide watch....

cbarrier90
October 20th, 2012, 10:55 PM
If GSU could come back after Van Gorder and Hatcher, Montana will be fine.

The key for GSU was getting back to what made them successful, the triple option. If I was UM, I'd look for another coach with a "Bobby Ball" approach after Delaney hangs 'em up.

tingly
October 20th, 2012, 11:34 PM
Montana can't even tie for the automatic qualifier now and there's still lots of season to go.

Grizalltheway
October 20th, 2012, 11:44 PM
Montana can't even tie for the automatic qualifier now and there's still lots of season to go.

Only 3 games left for us, thankfully.

ngineer
October 21st, 2012, 12:02 AM
Only 3 games left for us, thankfully.

Given all the upheaval your program has experienced over the past year, I don't think this season's results are all that shocking. You can only take so many blows. Once they get the right kind of players and expectations are understood, it shouldn't take long to turn around.

JMUNJ08
October 21st, 2012, 12:19 AM
Given all the upheaval your program has experienced over the past year, I don't think this season's results are all that shocking. You can only take so many blows. Once they get the right kind of players and expectations are understood, it shouldn't take long to turn around.

Agreed, unlike most, I had them in my preseason poll only at #25. Changes in coaching and off field distractions make a much bigger difference at the college level. Cannot be up forever, but the support and program history are tough to keep down...

Grizalltheway
October 21st, 2012, 12:29 AM

Yeah, the whole situation in the off season situation was a kick in the shorts, and I honestly didn't have high expectations this year because of it. The frustrating thing is that we were a play or two away from "W"s in most of our losses, and could very well still be in the hunt for post season berth. Oh well.xsighx

ursus arctos horribilis
October 21st, 2012, 12:39 AM

Don't think anyone was really holding out hope for the post season in any regard after last week and we don't deserve to be there anyway this year. Lot of good teams in the BSC that will earn their shot, we did not.

uofmman1122
November 17th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Well, here we are.

5-6. First losing season since 1985.

It's 10:30 am, but I need a stiff drink. :(

EKUSteve
November 17th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Well, here we are.

Know what you are talking about. Three years ago, we had our first losing season since 1964....

Neighbor2
November 17th, 2012, 07:50 PM
I'll still think of Montana as the pinnacle of FCS football. Would like to attend a game there sometime.

OL FU
November 17th, 2012, 08:09 PM
I hate losing seasons. Not use to them.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 17th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Well, here we are.

Montana is a darn good 5-6 team imo. They battled in every game but just came up short. I'm not sure what the Griz fans feelings are towards the coach but I think he did a tremendous job of keeping things together. Maybe some strategic decisions could have been different but that's only part of it. I'm not saying he should/will return. If nothing else, he should be given some level of respect.

putter
November 17th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Montana is a darn good 5-6 team imo. They battled in every game but just came up short. I'm not sure what the Griz fans feelings are towards the coach but I think he did a tremendous job of keeping things together. Maybe some strategic decisions could have been different but that's only part of it. I'm not saying he should/will return. If nothing else, he should be given some level of respect.

I agree with you. Mick was brought in to ease the bleeding. IMO, I think the HC search should start right now...not wait another year even though he has 1 more year on the contract. Bring stability to Montana ASAP. Waiting one more year with a 70 year old "temp" coach is not what is needed right now. Mick did what he needed to do, establish a level of discipline and get the program through this tough time. Move on and up.

Walkon79
November 17th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Tough game today. Looking forward to the 2013 Brawl already!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uofmman1122
November 18th, 2012, 12:04 AM
Montana is a darn good 5-6 team imo. They battled in every game but just came up short. I'm not sure what the Griz fans feelings are towards the coach but I think he did a tremendous job of keeping things together. Maybe some strategic decisions could have been different but that's only part of it. I'm not saying he should/will return. If nothing else, he should be given some level of respect.I respect him immensely.

He's one of the biggest reasons Chase Reynolds became arguably the best RB we've ever had, and why our running backs exploded the last two years.

But that's it: he's a fantastic RB coach. Not really what we need as far as head coaching goes. He's done an admirable job, and as far as righting the lost ship, it could have been SOOOO much worse.

But I agree with putter. We know he's not gonna be here after 2013 if he stays. Might as well go out and try to get the best available option now and bring some stability to the situation.

Side note: Robin Pflugrad was on the Griz sidelines during the game offering support and cheering his team on.

putter
November 19th, 2012, 09:22 AM
I respect him immensely.

He's one of the biggest reasons Chase Reynolds became arguably the best RB we've ever had, and why our running backs exploded the last two years.

But that's it: he's a fantastic RB coach. Not really what we need as far as head coaching goes. He's done an admirable job, and as far as righting the lost ship, it could have been SOOOO much worse.

But I agree with putter. We know he's not gonna be here after 2013 if he stays. Might as well go out and try to get the best available option now and bring some stability to the situation.

Side note: Robin Pflugrad was on the Griz sidelines during the game offering support and cheering his team on.

Wow! I did not know that...