PDA

View Full Version : Hofstra's Willie Colon - Steelers Camp Phenom?

TexasTerror
August 1st, 2006, 06:23 PM
More nice pub for a I-AA boy, this time Willie Colon over in Pittsburgh who is coming out of Hofstra. Seems the fourth-rounder Colon is definitely making his presence known as camp, similar as this article says to Willie Parker from last year...

New camp phenom?

By: Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.com
Date: Aug 1, 2006

LATROBE – Fast Willie Parker was the camp phenom last year. This year the camp phenom just might be Fightin’ Willie Colon. The fourth-round draft pick opened eyes in the spring with his strength, aggressiveness and technique. Yesterday he opened eyes with his nasty attitude ...

In one-on-one line drills, Colon, the right tackle, stonewalled Haggans, the left outside linebacker, and a frustrated Haggans ripped Colon’s helmet off. The two stood a foot or so apart, ready to go at it as Colon nodded his head as if to say, bring it on. Haggans walked back to the line telling Colon they could go at any time, and Colon talked back in the affirmative.

Colon was sent back out for another rep, but Haggans was replaced – and the two exchanged a few more barbs from a further distance.

The smack talk continued a few plays later, after Haggans blew past Nick Hagemann, and, as Haggans began walking to the other field for 7-on-7 drills, Colon blew him a kiss amidst the threat of an all-out brouhaha. It wouldn’t have been Colon’s first.

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=118&p=2&c=551927

August 1st, 2006, 06:40 PM
THE I-AA.ORG 2005 ALL-STAR TEAM

OFFENSE

WR David Ball, New Hampshire
WR Laurent Robinson, Illinois State
WR Eric Kimble, Eastern Washington
WR Tony Kays, UC Davis
T Matt Isenhour, Appalachian State
T Willie Colon, Hofstra
G Matt Magerko, James Madison
G Patrick Covington, Furman
C Stafford Davis, Illinois State
TE Patrick Bugg, Eastern Kentucky
QB Ricky Santos, New Hampshire
QB Richie Williams Appalachian State
FB Jerome Felton, Furman
TB Nick Hartigan, Brown
AB Arkee Whitlock, Southern Illinois

http://www.i-aa.org/section_front.asp?arttypeid=565

UNH 40
August 2nd, 2006, 06:27 AM
I played against Willie Colon in 2003 and 2004, he was flat out the best tackle I played against. He will find his way into a starting role within a year.

saint0917
August 2nd, 2006, 10:50 AM
He will find his way into a starting role within a year.

No way, not with Max Starks at RT, and Marvel Smith at LT, MAYBE two or three years.

Down with the Foe!
August 3rd, 2006, 03:45 PM
He couldn't get in his stance half way though the 4th qtr. against the Griz he was so tired from our DE's going off on him (Running around him)

:cool:

I'll will always remember him taunting the NEZ and pumping his arms for more noise the whole first half the game....(like it was not loud enough to bother them) and then jumping offsides a couple times on some key drives.....due to the noise later in the game.

:nono: :hurray: :nono: xidiotx

Seriously though, I wish him good luck, I'm happy to hear about a I-AA boy doing well.

Uncle Buck
August 4th, 2006, 08:58 PM
TT,
Thanks for putting up the link. The Hofstra website has done little in keeping us up to date on camp happenings or any ink that is out there.