Hawk98
October 13th, 2012, 02:42 PM
:28 left, 1 & 10 LU 23

Engineer86
October 13th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Ball on 24

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 13th, 2012, 02:43 PM
They gotta take a shot in the endzone...

Engineer86
Ball on 20 with 10 secs FG team on

Go Lehigh TU Owl
Here comes the FG..watch for the fake!!

Hawk98
20 yard line, going to be a 37 yd FG with :09 left

Bogus Megapardus
They're going for the FG. Good choice?

Bogus Megapardus
October 13th, 2012, 02:44 PM
FG no good!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
No good!! Lehigh will win!!

Lehigh should have lost. They looked like they much better team but 7 turnovers?? Cmon!!

Hawk98
NO GOOD! Lehigh wins!

Engineer86
Missed it, get out of town the cops are coming for that theft

Hawk98
October 13th, 2012, 02:45 PM
7-0, -5 season long turnover margin. Craziness.

Bogus Megapardus
Tough way to lose for the Hoyas.

CFBfan
Kicking game has now cost GU 2 games in a row and 3 overall.....Yale 2 missed FG's, horrible punting last week and now this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Engineer86
Start the spin, huge win. Top 10 team move them up

van
UGGGGGGLY!

crusader11
Hey, they keep winning. One of the longest regular season winning streaks in the FCS. But, let's be frank, Lehigh is not the 10th best team in the country.

Gutsy win and congrats. They'll all be tough in the Patriot League the rest of the way.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
Missed it, get out of town the cops are coming for that theft

Luckily Georgetown appears down this year. Do that against Colgate or HC and Lehigh loses by 4 TD's!

DFW HOYA
October 13th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Long f-in season. Three missed field goals. At home.

Awful in so many respects.

Bogus Megapardus
October 13th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Very well played game for the FiOS-less Hoyas. Not necessarily Lehigh's best effort.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
How many total yards did Lehigh have despite the 7 turnovers? the mistakes are brutal. When they're not killing themselves they look good.

DFW HOYA
AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RichH2
October 13th, 2012, 02:48 PM
We are heading home. I am exhausted, disgusted and sober. Should have brought some Peroni.
D scary last drive. O scary whole game. Let this be our slump game.

DFW HOYA
October 13th, 2012, 02:49 PM
We now know where Bucknell and Holy Cross figure to pick up wins.

Sader87
October 13th, 2012, 02:49 PM
We are heading home. I am exhausted, disgusted and sober. Should have brought some Peroni.
D scary last drive. O scary whole game. Let this be our slump game.

Is no way to go through life Rich

Bogus Megapardus
October 13th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Georgetown today looked good enough to beat any PL team - provided they fix the kicking issue. Coulda/Shoulda/Woulda won this game.

thebin
October 13th, 2012, 02:51 PM
No good!! Lehigh will win!!

Lehigh should have lost. They looked like they much better team but 7 turnovers?? Cmon!!

They didn't look "much better." They looked like the team that won by 3 points because of three blown FG attempts by the hoyas. Getting pretty tired of seeing every lehigh poster on this board say how bad the hoyas are over and over and over after squeaking out the win in the last minutes. If we are as bad as you have all said 20 times on this thread then your national ranking is a total joke. Have some class.

RichH2
October 13th, 2012, 02:52 PM
No we are not a top ten team off today.
When good we are excellent. Very infrequent today. Missed asignments, penalties, TOs . Against any of our remaing teams we losr by multiple TDs. EMBARRASSING

van
October 13th, 2012, 02:52 PM
7 turnovers and u don't win? Not gonna beat anyone in PL with that, except maybe Pards!

Sader87
October 13th, 2012, 02:53 PM
I highly doubt there is another D1 league with as much parity this year.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 13th, 2012, 02:54 PM
No we are not a top ten team off today.
When good we are excellent. Very infrequent today. Missed asignments, penalties, TOs . Against any of our remaing teams we losr by multiple TDs. EMBARRASSING

I will drop Lehigh this week.

This team still has a tremendous ceiling if they would ever fix the mistakes. I'll be interested to see what the box score says. I thought Lehigh completely dominated the second half minus the turnovers.

thebin
October 13th, 2012, 02:54 PM
We now know where Bucknell and Holy Cross figure to pick up wins.

I honestly don't know what this means. Do you think Bucknell and Holy Cross expect to beat GU because of a close game the Hoyas had vs Lehigh?

RichH2
October 13th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Two last comments
Yes bin GU is bad. A decent team would beat us by 21.

You are correct . I will rectify that promptly once home.
Oh for Bogie congrats on Yale win.

Go...gate
October 13th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Bottom line is that Lehigh won on one of its off days, which is a good sign for the Engineers. They still are the strongest team in the PL.

thebin
October 13th, 2012, 02:58 PM
7 turnovers and u don't win? Not gonna beat anyone in PL with that, except maybe Pards!

I am only now realizing how obnoxious Lehigh fans are. Dude get over yourself. If we are as bad as you keep saying then you suck too. 3 missed fgs, 3rd string qb, football budget 1/3rd the size of LU.....and you barely won. You know several of those turnovers were caused by GU. What a douche you are after a lucky victory. GU loses to the supposedly #10 team in the nation in a squeaker and now they are the worst team in the PL again?

DFW HOYA
October 13th, 2012, 02:59 PM

What? There are three poor teams in the PL, maybe four. A one bid league without question.

van
October 13th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Bottom line is that Lehigh won on one of its off days, which is a good sign for the Engineers. They still are the strongest team in the PL.

Off day is quite an understatement. Terrible effort today.

crusader11
October 13th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Georgetown could win or lose the rest of their games this year. Same pretty much goes for every other team (maybe not Bucknell). That's just the state of Patriot League football in 2012.

thebin
October 13th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Georgetown could win or lose the rest of their games this year. Same pretty much goes for every other team (maybe not Bucknell). That's just the state of Patriot League football in 2012.

I agree with you crusader. I think the pain of losing a game by 3 points after 3 failed fg attempts has got the better of DFW's normally considerable judgement for the moment. It is very painful to see these close losses knowing that had our best qb in 10 years not been knocked out in the first quarter of the season things might be much different.

Bogus Megapardus
October 13th, 2012, 03:05 PM

I think some of us will need our parity on the rocks, with a twist, after this weekend.

Sader87
October 13th, 2012, 03:06 PM
What? There are three poor teams in the PL, maybe four. A one bid league without question.

I disagree...for example, it would not shock me if HC beat LU at Fitton or lose to FU at Fitton...just the state of the league, everyone is basically "shades of mediocre" save for the Bison imo.

ngineer
October 13th, 2012, 03:09 PM
I don't know if I ever saw a team lose 7 turnovers and win, althought the minus was "only" 5. To overcome those takeaways and still win says something about the talent on Lehigh's team, but also something about it's execution. Losing Spadola pregame and losing Haggins during the game was also significant, but great to see Barket come up big (123 yards rushing) and Kurfis had 132 yards receiving. LU had over 400 yards of offense despite the turnovers. At some point this season, the Brown and White are going to put together a nice complete game. Only question is when.
Got to watch second half on Georgetown's access connection...picture a little blurry, but ok; however couldnt' get the audio loud enough, so I went with Lehigh's radio crew, which surprisingly was almost in sync with the video! Usually, you get a significant delay one way or the other. 7-0! A very strong second half and the defense came up big repeatedly. Despite all the vitriol, good teams find a way to win when things aren't working. You dig down and find a way. That simple. A lot of teams losing 7 TO's as well as having two turnovers by Hoyas not called would have had many teams hanging their heads. These guys found a way.

thebin
October 13th, 2012, 03:11 PM
the only turnover number worth discussing is the net. 5 TOs. Not 7. And let's stop pretending the Hoyas had nothing to do with being +5.

Engineer86
October 13th, 2012, 03:11 PM
They didn't look "much better." They looked like the team that won by 3 points because of three blown FG attempts by the hoyas. Getting pretty tired of seeing every lehigh poster on this board say how bad the hoyas are over and over and over after squeaking out the win in the last minutes. If we are as bad as you have all said 20 times on this thread then your national ranking is a total joke. Have some class.

I'll have what he's drinking! What are you talking about.

Engineer86
October 13th, 2012, 03:13 PM
I will drop Lehigh this week.

This team still has a tremendous ceiling if they would ever fix the mistakes. I'll be interested to see what the box score says. I thought Lehigh completely dominated the second half minus the turnovers.

I still say they must have a better QB than Colvin most of the issues start there.

thebin
October 13th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Everyone understands good teams cause turnovers. Until your team loses 5. Then its just really bad luck.

Sader87
October 13th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Ok, I'll go there for our Jesuit brethren: "Lehigh, worst 7-0 team evah!!!"

Bogus Megapardus
I disagree...for example, it would not shock me if HC beat LU at Fitton or lose to FU at Fitton...just the state of the league, everyone is basically "shades of mediocre" save for the Bison imo.

Pards were again lackluster this afternoon - playing about as well (or poorly) as they've played all season. Our strength remains the defensive secondary which bailed us out once again. I cant see us beating Gate. I'd call it a draw with HC depending on how well HC can run the ball. If the Pards don't improve the OL play, I think Fordham and Lehigh will have too much on the defensive side.

DFW HOYA
I agree with you crusader. I think the pain of losing a game by 3 points after 3 failed fg attempts has got the better of DFW's normally considerable judgement for the moment. It is very painful to see these close losses knowing that had our best qb in 10 years not been knocked out in the first quarter of the season things might be much different.

Yes, it would be different, but my patience is failing that Vinny Marino has any strategy on scoring inside the 30.

For the season, GU is 16 of 29 scoring inside the 20, 9 for 29 resulting in touchdowns. Since the second half of the second game, that number is 6 for 25 (24%).

Chances that turns around at Colgate? Not good.

RichH2
October 13th, 2012, 03:15 PM
In car, ng, I dont q our will just our focus and execution which swung back and forth between very good and What the f#ck. When has been the Q since game 1.

Engineer86
October 13th, 2012, 03:18 PM
the only turnover number worth discussing is the net. 5 TOs. Not 7. And let's stop pretending the Hoyas had nothing to do with being +5.

Plus 5, you scored on a pick six and a 31 yd drive, give it a rest YOU WERE PLUS 5 in turnovers and lost, and we continue to play our 3rd rate QB

thebin
October 13th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Yes, it would be different, but my patience is failing that Vinny Marino has any strategy on scoring inside the 30.

For the season, GU is 16 of 29 scoring inside the 20, 9 for 29 resulting in touchdowns. Since the second half of the second game, that number is 6 for 25 (24%).

I don't know what it is but we just fall apart rapidly in the red zone. I think the Offense is too predictable and then on the short field it is way to easy to know what we are going to keep trying to do because it doesn't change from week to week in the red zone. Our passing game basically went away when Kemph went down in week one.

Engineer86
October 13th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Ok, I'll go there for our Jesuit brethren: "Lehigh, worst 7-0 team evah!!!"

What does that say about your Jesuit brethren who were plus 5 and lost to the worst 7-0 team ever?

CFBfan
October 13th, 2012, 03:21 PM

All you have to do is look at what he did (or did NOT do) with Columbia's offense, I wou;dn't expect much more than what you are seeing now

crusader11
October 13th, 2012, 03:22 PM
In car, ng, I dont q our will just our focus and execution which swung back and forth between very good and What the f#ck. When has been the Q since game 1.

Locate those Peronis?

thebin
October 13th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Plus 5, you scored on a pick six and a 31 yd drive, give it a rest YOU WERE PLUS 5 in turnovers and lost, and we continue to play our 3rd rate QB

3rd rate qb??? We were playing a 3rd STRING qb you jerkoff. Way to win with class. You shouldn't be in the top 25, your #10 ranking is a joke that has been exposed.

DFW HOYA
October 13th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Another wild stat? Matt MacZura is one of his last six FG's at home.

thebin
October 13th, 2012, 03:24 PM
What does that say about your Jesuit brethren who were plus 5 and lost to the worst 7-0 team ever?
It says you just almost lost to a team with 1/3rd your football budget, a much higher academic index and ZERO facilities.

crusader11
your #10 ranking is a joke that has been exposed.

It was exposed early this season. Lehigh's high ranking is directly attributed to their success last year and where pollsters had them ranked in the preseason.

They should be ranked somewhere in the high teens, in my opinion.

Engineer86
3rd rate qb??? We were playing a 3rd STRING qb you jerkoff. Way to win with class. You shouldn't be in the top 25, your #10 ranking is a joke that has been exposed.

Thanks for teaching me what class is, I wouldn't know it without seeing your reaction to the game xrolleyesx

Sader87
October 13th, 2012, 03:26 PM
This is why most everyone here hates on the PL...we sound like such bitches after the game.

Engineer86
October 13th, 2012, 03:28 PM
It says you just almost lost to a team with 1/3rd your football budget, a much higher academic index and ZERO facilities.

Yep, now I know what class is

DFW HOYA
October 13th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Putting this one aside, how do you take this offense to Colgate?

crusader11
October 13th, 2012, 03:29 PM
This is why most everyone here hates on the PL...we sound like such bitches after the game.

Want to discuss Patriot and Ivy League football after work on Monday at the Princeton club in NYC after we engage in a friendly game of squash?

Sader87
October 13th, 2012, 03:31 PM

Gate D is very spotty....HC essentially moved up and down the field all day.

Than again, Colgate's O did march up and down the field all day today.

CFBfan
October 13th, 2012, 03:32 PM

leave the offensive co-ordinator and the kicker back in DC and the Hoyas will have a chance

Engineer86
October 13th, 2012, 03:32 PM

You one RB seemed to make things happen at times, but it seemed like there was no rhythm to your offense until that hurried drive at the end. I actually thought if you guys stuck with the run more, you would have been better off

Hawk98
October 13th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Both defenses played tremendous football, Georgetown's offense couldn't effectively move the ball consistently, and Lehigh moved the ball pretty well, but just couldn't hold onto it.

Eventually, they did hold onto it for a few drives and came out on top.

Lehigh moves on to Bucknell, which should be a win, but who knows if they don't figure out the giveaways.

LEHIGH61
October 13th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Engineer 86 What is your problem. What don't you hate.

Sader87
October 13th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Want to discuss Patriot and Ivy League football after work on Monday at the Princeton club in NYC after we engage in a friendly game of squash?

Basically how we're seen here....for the record I was on the HC squash team (it was club status) lol...

Engineer86
October 13th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Engineer 86 What is your problem. What don't you hate.

What are you referring to other than Colvin at QB? I remember your IM last year when I moved on from Spadola's suspension faster than you preferred.

Hawk98
October 13th, 2012, 03:36 PM
What are you referring to other than Colvin at QB?

I only had the radio on, but it sounded to me like at least 2 of the INT were on deflected balls, and there was the bad snap and 2 fumbles, so only 1-2 of the turnovers were directly Colvin's fault. Plenty of blame to go around here.

crusader11
October 13th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Basically how we're seen here....for the record I was on the HC squash team (it was club status) lol...

I know...just playing into that.

Squash actually is a fantastic sport and workout.

crusader11
October 13th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Sorry to be getting in the way of the Lehigh - Georgetown banter...

Engineer86
October 13th, 2012, 03:40 PM
I only had the radio on, but it sounded to me like at least 2 of the INT were on deflected balls, and there was the bad snap and 2 fumbles, so only 1-2 of the turnovers were directly Colvin's fault. Plenty of blame to go around here.

Agreed, but he has missed many other passes that we not picked off all year. I find it hard to believe that we can't find a better QB. Not sure what else I here that he is referring to though, but I do admit I am not a Colvin fan.

DFW HOYA
October 13th, 2012, 03:41 PM
The elephant in the room:

Georgetown brought back 17 starters from an 8-3 team that was 92% in the red zone, 62% for touchdowns in 2011. And now?

That's 9-25 (36%) for touchdowns inside the 20, with three losses in the final minute of play.

Sader87
October 13th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Not trying to troll (not too much so anyway) but wasn't GTown a mirage at 8-3 last year? Just a teensy, tincey bit???

LEHIGH61
October 13th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Heah?

LehighU11
October 13th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Agreed, but he has missed many other passes that we not picked off all year. I find it hard to believe that we can't find a better QB. Not sure what else I here that he is referring to though, but I do admit I am not a Colvin fan.

I think we've all picked up over the course of the season that you are definitely not a Colvin fan. You are about as high on Colvin as Stephen A Smith is on Tebow. This was the first game I've missed all season, but from what I've seen of him, he's done about as good a job as to be expected. Take away that pick six last week and today's miserable stats, and he's done well IMO.

There aren't too many Chris Lum's that come through the PL. Yes, Colvin is nowhere near Lum when it comes to decision making and accuracy. However, think back to Threatt, Clark, and even Lum as a sophomore, and I think you'll be hard pressed to say that any of them performed better than Colvin has to date, not taking into account today.

DFW HOYA
October 13th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Not trying to troll (not too much so anyway) but wasn't GTown a mirage at 8-3 last year? Just a teensy, tincey bit???

Not at all. The stats show that GU in 2011 wasn't winning games on the margin, but convincingly. The 2012 team shows no confidence offensively since Kempf left.

Andy Coen: "I love how the kids competed. They didn't get down. Even at halftime, I didn't lash into them. I complimented the defense and what they were doing. I actually told our offensive staff that the people who should be most upset were Georgetown because we gave them a lot of breaks and they were still only up seven."

Sader87
October 13th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Just sayin'....the Hoyas had a nice season in 2011 but they should have lost to Lafayette, did lose to Bucknell and really beat no one of consequence (Davidson, Marist, Howard, Wagner OOC and Lafayette, Colgate, HC and Fordham in the PL) in going 8-3. One of those years were everything "broke right."

DFW HOYA
October 13th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Just sayin'....the Hoyas had a nice season in 2011 but they should have lost to Lafayette, did lose to Bucknell and really beat no one of consequence (Davidson, Marist, Howard, Wagner OOC and Lafayette, Colgate, HC and Fordham in the PL) in going 8-3. One of those years were everything "broke right."

But as someone dimly noted on the HoyaTalk board, "If we'd won this one, I'd have said this was our biggest win in modern history. Now that we've lost it, I think we just lost our last best chance to ever be a relevant PL team."

Sader87
October 13th, 2012, 04:04 PM
I'm just saying (I use that phrase too much, I know) that yes, GU did go 8-3 last year but it's not as if they were a "very strong 8-3." To expect that you'd do as well or much better this year is a bit of a stretch.

Engineer86
October 13th, 2012, 04:09 PM
I think we've all picked up over the course of the season that you are definitely not a Colvin fan. You are about as high on Colvin as Stephen A Smith is on Tebow. This was the first game I've missed all season, but from what I've seen of him, he's done about as good a job as to be expected. Take away that pick six last week and today's miserable stats, and he's done well IMO.

There aren't too many Chris Lum's that come through the PL. Yes, Colvin is nowhere near Lum when it comes to decision making and accuracy. However, think back to Threatt, Clark, and even Lum as a sophomore, and I think you'll be hard pressed to say that any of them performed better than Colvin has to date, not taking into account today.

Those two pick sixes wee absolutely horrible plays. If is one thing to be steady, not make big plays, but not make mistakes, but the last two weeks he has kept the other team in the game. Sorry, that doen't get it done for a team that overall has talent to be in the top 10, with a good QB. Just my opinion.

There have been at least five times this year that Spadola was open an he thew a bad pass. My basic point is he can't be that much better than the others, that Coen does not give McHale of Bialkowski a chance against Bucknell. At the B&W ame both preformed better than Colvin. While that is only 1 "game", I have now watched 6.5 games and I find it hard to beleive the backups are that bad that they don't try a change.

Sader87
October 13th, 2012, 04:14 PM
But as someone dimly noted on the HoyaTalk board, "If we'd won this one, I'd have said this was our biggest win in modern history. Now that we've lost it, I think we just lost our last best chance to ever be a relevant PL team."

Tough loss, I feel your pain...I really do. On the bright side, Hoya basketball started practicing this weekend.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 13th, 2012, 04:25 PM
I'll tell you, I am mystified as to why Kelly wasn't more aggressive on the 20 with 9 seconds left and go for the TD. He had three plays to stomp on Lehigh's throat, and threw them away for a game-TYING FG. IMO? That's horrible coaching.

van
October 13th, 2012, 04:26 PM

+1

Hawk98
October 13th, 2012, 04:28 PM
The FCS top 10 is really struggling today.

Lehigh looked bad.

#8 Youngstown lost 35-28 to #14 ISU
#3 ODU losing 24-14 to Villanova
#4 JMU tied with W&M 14-14
#1 NDSU losing 10-3 at the half to Indiana State
#2 Montana St is playing #6 Eastern Washington
#5 Wofford playing #7 Ga Southern

So despite Lehigh's bad performance, there might be 5/6 losses ahead of them, so they might not drop too much.

RichH2
October 13th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Rest stop.
LU epitome of O inconsistency.
Gate best O in PL ,0 Defense
Cross O -D mediocre.
Pards D ok 2ndary excellent. O ltd by OL
BU good DL not much else.
FU very good O ,D needs work

Any word on Haggins?

No doubt Mike ups and downs. Looks like a soph qb. Which in a way he is. Liked what I saw of BB and McHale. Would love to get them some PT. Not going to happen.
Dave has yet to fix same issue from game.1. Not a good sign.
OK we're off. Be back in a couple more hrs.

CFBfan
October 13th, 2012, 05:12 PM

GU is a kicker away from 6-1 (and their 1 st QB hasn't played since the 1st quarter of their 1st game!) 2 less then 2 yrd punts and 2 short FG's missed against Yale, 2 less than 16 yars punts against FU and a short missed FG and THREE short FG's missed against LU. Brown was the ONLY team that was actualy better then they were.
BUT then again, you are what your ecored says you are......heard that somewhere

van
October 13th, 2012, 05:19 PM
GU is a kicker away from 6-1 (and their 1 st QB hasn't played since the 1st quarter of their 1st game!) 2 less then 2 yrd punts and 2 short FG's missed against Yale, 2 less than 16 yars punts against FU and a short missed FG and THREE short FG's missed against LU. Brown was the ONLY team that was actualy better then they were.

FGs were 22 yds (blocked) and 37 yds (missed) and 48 yds (missed), not sure I would call those 3 short FGs, but after our kicking fiascos last year I feel your pain.

Sader87
October 13th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Actually GU's Princeton win is looking better and better....my point remains though, GU was really not that much better than an average team last year which caught some breaks (scheduling and elsewhere) to get an 8-3 record. Those breaks are going against them this year leading to their current 3-4 record.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 13th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Coen pointed to that blocked field goal as the biggest play of the game.

van
October 13th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Coen pointed to that blocked field goal as the biggest play of the game.

Hard to disagree with Coach on that call!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 13th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Just looked at the stats. Lehigh put up some impressive numbers despite the 7 turnovers. If they could ever clean up the mistakes this team has tremendous potential. However, given the fact it's going to be week 8 suggests you're pretty much who you are at this point.

RichH2
October 13th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Sadly true Owl.

van
October 13th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Just looked at the stats. Lehigh put up some impressive numbers despite the 7 turnovers. If they could ever clean up the mistakes this team has tremendous potential. However, given the fact it's going to be week 8 suggests you're pretty much who you are at this point.

One thing is for sure, this team has a big heart. Wish they would clean up the errors and take some pressure off my heart.

RichH2
October 13th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Looking around it looks like this is slump week for a lot of ranked teams. Of course we at Lehigh can be proud that we have slumped one way or another every week. We can show anybody how to slump properly. Clearly JMU did not get the memo.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 13th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Looking around it looks like this is slump week for a lot of ranked teams. Of course we at Lehigh can be proud that we have slumped one way or another every week. We can show anybody how to slump properly. Clearly JMU did not get the memo.

You have to survive and advance. It is not easy to go out there every week and win. Bucknell might be the worst team they face all season so I think Lehigh should be ok assuming they play like they did last week. The bye week should come at the perfect time

Any updates on Spadola?

RichH2
October 13th, 2012, 07:08 PM

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 13th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Lehigh can still compete with a lot of these teams. I watched the EWU-MSU game and if Lehigh doesn't shoot themselves in the foot they most certainly can play with those two. Talent wise Lehigh is a boarder line Top 10 team but they're not performing at that level.

RichH2
October 13th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Same with JMU saw last part of game. At our best ,we can compete with anyone. We have yet to see anything but glimpses eabh week. Hopefully today's first half is the bottom from which we will rise.
Am watching tape of PU now. They are tuning Brown up. Dline dominating. Feell better about our game with them. Brown looks quite ordinary.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 13th, 2012, 08:27 PM
After watching the wreckage of the other teams this week I'm becoming more and more elated that Lehigh bucked the overall trend.

RichH2
October 13th, 2012, 08:42 PM
We did our level best to go with the trend but Hoyas would not cooperate.

ngineer
October 13th, 2012, 08:50 PM
The FCS top 10 is really struggling today.

Lehigh looked bad.

#8 Youngstown lost 35-28 to #14 ISU
#3 ODU losing 24-14 to Villanova
#4 JMU tied with W&M 14-14
#1 NDSU losing 10-3 at the half to Indiana State
#2 Montana St is playing #6 Eastern Washington
#5 Wofford playing #7 Ga Southern

So despite Lehigh's bad performance, there might be 5/6 losses ahead of them, so they might not drop too much.

Shouldn't drop at all. They won in a place that is not easy to play, with two offensive playmakers out, and after committing seven turnovers. That last fact, alone, is unbelieveable. Credit the defense with not letting up and keeping the team in the game to win. They dug down on an ugly day and still found a way to win. That is what champions are made of.

ngineer
October 13th, 2012, 08:52 PM
You have to survive and advance. It is not easy to go out there every week and win. Bucknell might be the worst team they face all season so I think Lehigh should be ok assuming they play like they did last week. The bye week should come at the perfect time

Any updates on Spadola?

With mono...and assuming he contracted it last week, then I would hope we have him back for the November run of the gauntlet with Holy Cross, Colgate and Laughyette.

ngineer
October 13th, 2012, 08:56 PM

Hoyas have decent talent and their kicking woes is what makes up part of the TEAM. Last year, Georgetown had an amazing plus/minus ratio on the plus side for turnovers which keyed a number of their wins. Very opportunistic defense and it almost got them a scalp today, except Lehigh's defense really came to play and neutralized most of the turnovers. The other turnovers prevented Lehigh from scoring 40 points.

ngineer
October 13th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Princeton beating Brown today also makes that game not the 'cupcake' everyone thinks it was. PU's defense maybe one of the best around. Columbia gave Penn all it could handle today, as well. Lots of parity all around. You can't sleep on anyone.

ngineer
October 13th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Anyone else catch the referee referring to Georgetown as "Villanova" on one of the time out calls in the fourth quarter?? Amazing.

RichH2
October 13th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Parity is great for all except team in 1st. Maybe I'll like it next yr.

ngineer
October 13th, 2012, 09:34 PM
No question Lehigh has been playing with fire with the turnovers and penalties, and if that continues it has to bite us eventually; but I have to think this will get worked out of the system. Spadola and Haggins' injuries really putting pressure on the youngsters at WR and TE..so far so good. How bad is Haggins' injury, anyway?

RichH2
October 13th, 2012, 09:52 PM
It looked bad at game but he was moving around later on.
Like I said earlier at our best we can vompete with anyone. Heck, we scored all the points again today just like last week. In between mistakes we dominated game. But as we watched good plays kept nervously waiting for next screw up. So much talent. Gotta believe Andy and Dave will figure it out. Andy did teach them how to win. We win the close games now.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 13th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Like I said earlier at our best we can vompete with anyone. Heck, we scored all the points again today just like last week. In between mistakes we dominated game. But as we watched good plays kept nervously waiting for next screw up. So much talent. Gotta believe Andy and Dave will figure it out. Andy did teach them how to win. We win the close games now.

The problem is that they're ALL close.

Hawk98
October 13th, 2012, 10:04 PM
The problem is that they're ALL close.

CCSU and Columbia were both 21 points in the end, and Monmouth was 10 points. The other 4 were all 3 or less. It's good to know you can win the close games. It will give them confidence if they are losing 24-21 in Northern Arizona or something like that in a 2nd round/quarterfinal game.

DFW HOYA
October 13th, 2012, 10:16 PM

So how was your first visit to the MSF? Any suggestions on how a coach would recruit with something like that?

RichH2
October 13th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Less concerned with playoffs. We gotta get there. Once there we will do fine. As usual Western are not nearly as good as they think they are. They just go by the names on our schedule assuming all Eastern teams are lousy. Well we may be inconsistent on O but we are far from lousy.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 13th, 2012, 10:21 PM
I am a bit surprised that nobody here is talking about coach Kelly's curious conservatism at the end of the game today. On the LU 23, with I think 15 seconds left, you run it into the line to go for the longest FG your kicker has attempted this year, in a game where he's had one blocked and another missed? Why on Earth don't you take a shot at the end zone, or at least a completion at the sticks? He blew two plays with one play call, as the 3 yard rush was stopped, they had to spike, then he had to make the FG. In our league, a 37 yarder is no gimme.

Let's say nothing develops. Aiken then throws to the popcorn man, and gets another shot with 10 or 9 seconds left. I mean, Kelly threw away a play when he really could have used the extra chance. I dunno, if I were a Georgetown fan, I'd have been beyond furious.

Hawk98
October 13th, 2012, 10:24 PM
I am a bit surprised that nobody here is talking about coach Kelly's curious conservatism at the end of the game today. On the LU 23, with I think 15 seconds left, you run it into the line to go for the longest FG your kicker has attempted this year, in a game where he's had one blocked and another missed? Why on Earth don't you take a shot at the end zone, or at least a completion at the sticks? He blew two plays with one play call, as the 3 yard rush was stopped, they had to spike, then he had to make the FG. In our league, a 37 yarder is no gimme.

It's conservative, but I think he was forced into it when his QB spiked the ball on 1st down. If he drops back to pass and takes a sack or a hold on 2nd down, the game is essentially over.

RichH2
October 13th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Well breakfast was great. Amazed at your place. Even in good seays, which we did not get, too low to really understand events on field other than passes.
Has to be academic rep for recruits that field will not lure any recruits. Makes your HC's achievement all the more remarkable. Moore best DB I've seen this yr.

RichH2
October 13th, 2012, 11:42 PM
A stray, perhaps relevant thought, could short practice week, due to pacing break been a factor in O inconsistency? Or am I just dreaming up an excuse?

ngineer
October 13th, 2012, 11:47 PM
A stray, perhaps relevant thought, could short practice week, due to pacing break been a factor in O inconsistency? Or am I just dreaming up an excuse?

I thought that was the prior week to Columbia. This week it was the turnovers. The penalty bug seemed to be under control this week. Some turnovers are freaks, but others are lack of focus....Maybe contagion left over from Michael Vick's presence back in August...

RichH2
October 14th, 2012, 12:00 AM
Thanks wasn't sure. Long day. Only 2 and only 1 stopped a drive. Two tipped for INTs ,TD was a bad pass, rest just sloppy play. I still maintain today was National Slump Day and we were merely taking part. Next week we will ne better for Bison.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 14th, 2012, 12:06 AM
For the record, after careful study of Lehigh's recap video, I think DE Anthony Verderame blocked the halftime kick, and I'm pretty sure DE Tom Bianchi partially blocked MacZura's final attempt. This game was won with special teams, the second game of the year where special teams was the difference. Don't want that to get lost here.

ngineer
October 14th, 2012, 12:11 AM
For the record, after careful study of Lehigh's recap video, I think DE Anthony Verderame blocked the halftime kick, and I'm pretty sure DE Tom Bianchi partially blocked MacZura's final attempt. This game was won with special teams, the second game of the year where special teams was the difference. Don't want that to get lost here.

To a point. The punting game seems to have hit a snag...Divers ave. only 33, and on the one he tried to place inside the 10, should have been CAUGHT by our downfield guys--four guys standing on the goaline looking at the ball which they let hit and bounce into the endzone. No reason one of them could not have caught the punt inside the five and put Hoyas in real hole. Second time this year we have allowed that to happen. However, I do agree the "other' special teams performed well. Another 'confidence booster' for Peery and the Defense was awesome--the collective stars of the game.

RichH2
October 14th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Cool, from where I was could not see sh#t.

RichH2
October 14th, 2012, 12:15 AM
Front 7 has gotten much better over the season. Nigel was a beast. DNs bent a bit much at times but they were solid.

RichH2
October 14th, 2012, 12:17 AM
Geez just heading to bed saw on ESPN Jeter broke ankle in 12th. Out for the rest of the games.

LUHawker
October 14th, 2012, 09:34 AM

Let's say nothing develops. Aiken then throws to the popcorn man, and gets another shot with 10 or 9 seconds left. I mean, Kelly threw away a play when he really could have used the extra chance. I dunno, if I were a Georgetown fan, I'd have been beyond furious.

LFN,

I agree with you that Kelly played it too conservatively at the end. I think he was just happy to get a shot at the tie. What I am surprised no one has touched on, was Cecchini's terrible set of plays called on Lehigh's last offensive possession. Clearly playing to just kick the ball away. He didn't even try to get the first down. That was pathetic.

Also surprised that the three terrible, possibly game changing calls made by the officials. The first was the Barkett "fumble" when it looked like he was clearly down and the GTown scrum yanked the ball out. The second was the super-pathetic fumble by the GTown return man that the refs gave back on the Gtown 20. And last was the no-call pass interference at the Gtown 6. I normally think calls balance out over the course of the game, but this one was tilted.

CFBfan
October 14th, 2012, 09:40 AM
LFN,

I agree with you that Kelly played it too conservatively at the end. I think he was just happy to get a shot at the tie. What I am surprised no one has touched on, was Cecchini's terrible set of plays called on Lehigh's last offensive possession. Clearly playing to just kick the ball away. He didn't even try to get the first down. That was pathetic.

Also surprised that the three terrible, possibly game changing calls made by the officials. The first was the Barkett "fumble" when it looked like he was clearly down and the GTown scrum yanked the ball out. The second was the super-pathetic fumble by the GTown return man that the refs gave back on the Gtown 20. And last was the no-call pass interference at the Gtown 6. I normally think calls balance out over the course of the game, but this one was tilted.

Kelly's game management has always been suspect.....stupid time outs deep in our own teritory prior to 1/2 time. 4 of the same play (qb keeper) in a row on 1st and goal from the 4 yard line and playing not to lose at the end of a game. Feel bad for the kids!!!!

On another note: GU has been hosed all year with bad calls so stop whinning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 14th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Team Stat Comparison

LEH GTown

1st Downs 20 19
3rd down efficiency 8-16 5-16
4th down efficiency 0-0 0-2
Total Yards 428 329
Passing 266 208
Comp-Att 19-34-4 18-33
Yards per pass 7.8 6.3
Rushing 162 121
Rushing Attempts 43 41
Yards per rush 3.8 3.0
Penalties 2-25 4-26
Turnovers 7 2
Fumbles lost 3 1
Interceptions 4 1
Possession 31:52 28:08

Sader87
October 14th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Both teams deserved to lose....can we leave it at that?????

LUHawker
October 14th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Kelly's game management has always been suspect.....stupid time outs deep in our own teritory prior to 1/2 time. 4 of the same play (qb keeper) in a row on 1st and goal from the 4 yard line and playing not to lose at the end of a game. Feel bad for the kids!!!!

On another note: GU has been hosed all year with bad calls so stop whinning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

I am only referring to THIS game, buddy. Those were big bad calls. Despite 7 turnovers and those bad calls, Lehigh still beat your team. Get a real team, so you can stop whining.

CFBfan
October 14th, 2012, 09:55 AM
I am only referring to THIS game, buddy. Those were big bad calls. Despite 7 turnovers and those bad calls, Lehigh still beat your team. Get a real team, so you can stop whining.

I realize that BUDDY, and like I said...STOP WHINNING. Most LU fans and poster are great people then there are the few that whine and complain, bragg and post stuff no one cares about BUDDY

RichH2
October 14th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Good morning 87
Barket fumble a bad call. Did not see others. Late game play calling by both teams conservative. Dave killing time, GU odd . Both teams seemed to be waiting for clock to run out.
Shon pretty good for 3rd string qb. McCabe and Moore are stellar. LU D better each week. LBs particularly.. LU ST impressive. Next 4 s/b fun. I have a bed reserved at the CCU.

Sader87
October 14th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Good morning 87
Barket fumble a bad call. Did not see others. Late game play calling by both teams conservative. Dave killing time, GU odd . Both teams seemed to be waiting for clock to run out.
Shon pretty good for 3rd string qb. McCabe and Moore are stellar. LU D better each week. LBs particularly.. LU ST impressive. Next 4 s/b fun. I have a bed reserved at the CCU.

What's so good about it? We currently sit at 1-5. xbawlingx

Lehigh Football Nation
October 14th, 2012, 10:37 AM
My recap:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/10/lehigh-17-georgetown-14-final.html

The more I look at this, the more I see a Lehigh team that really made a lot of plays, especially on defense and special teams, to come away with one they probably shouldn't have.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 14th, 2012, 10:42 AM
LFN,

I agree with you that Kelly played it too conservatively at the end. I think he was just happy to get a shot at the tie.

Exactly. IMO, you only coach that way if you are ALREADY tied and a field goal WINS it for you - that would have been fine. Not when you're DOWN and your depending on that field goal to extend the game. I know the Hoyas red zone offense was not good on this afternoon, but c'mon, you need to take one shot there. It was basically a free shot if you think about it!

DFW, on his site (http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/football.htm), appears to agree with me.

In its 19 years at the Division I-AA level, the Georgetown Hoyas had never defeated a ranked team, nor defeated Lehigh University in eleven tries. About to enter the brave new world of Patriot League scholarships, neither seems a given in the near term, either. As such, the Hoyas never had a better opportunity to do both than in Saturday's 17-14 loss to the Engineers.

Despite forcing seven defensive turnovers, Georgetown's offense scored just once, while Matt MacZura missed three field goals, including a 37 yarder with eight seconds left as Lehigh prevailed in a game that defies simple description. It was best said by Lehigh receiver Josh Parris: "We definitely got away with one."

The drive, absent the finish, may have been the best for Skon since the winning drive three weeks ago versus Princeton. Skon converted four of his first five passes to drive to midfield, then ran twice for 10 yards to drive the Hoyas into field goal range at the 23 with under 30 seconds to play. With time to go to the end zone, Georgetown instead went conservative, with a running play to set up a kick and a spike to stop the clock.

Matt MacZura entered the field with a 37 yard attempt to send the game into overtime. It wasn't even close, veering hard left. After hitting five straight over the prior three games, MacZura left nine points off the scoreboard with three missed kicks.

RichH2
October 14th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Team now knows how to win even among a raft of TOs. Really up to coaches to get team past the inconsistency. A work clearly still in progress.

Engineer86
October 14th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Team now knows how to win even among a raft of TOs. Really up to coaches to get team past the inconsistency. A work clearly still in progress.

We are finished with week 7, this seems a little late to be a "work in progress", they do keep winning, but I am unless the coaching staff thinks things are progressing as well as should be expected, I am surprised they have not tried changes. These games are closer than they should be, that does not give me a good feeling.

RichH2
October 14th, 2012, 11:03 AM
We all have the same angst. IChoose to try to be optimistic. Game drove me nuts but in between the recurring OOPS play we completely dominated game. For 2nd week we scored all the points. The gap between what wr could be and what we are is still there. Mike even tho a sr. is more like a soph running O. Lum at that point no better.
We will put it all together. When ? I trust Andy will find the answer.

van
October 14th, 2012, 11:05 AM
We are finished with week 7, this seems a little late to be a "work in progress", they do keep winning, but I am unless the coaching staff thinks things are progressing as well as should be expected, I am surprised they have not tried changes. These games are closer than they should be, that does not give me a good feeling.

Have to agree with you here 86, really felt that this would be the breakout week where they put it all together. Agree with Rich also, team makes a lot of very good plays but too many really bone head ones for my liking. None-the-less, at 7-0 they are showing a lot of character to overcome the bad stuff. Don't see how we can beat Gate with this approach.

RichH2
October 14th, 2012, 11:12 AM
No, same level of play vs Gate very hard to win. Caveat Gate has 0 defense. My gut is it will be a shoot out at Goodman.

van
October 14th, 2012, 11:21 AM
No, same level of play vs Gate very hard to win. Caveat Gate has 0 defense. My gut is it will be a shoot out at Goodman.

Glad we have them a home this year, might be the difference. Should Lehigh not win the league and be 10-1, I predict that some 8-3 team is gonna miss the playoffs and be very unhappy.

RichH2
October 14th, 2012, 11:25 AM
LOL, expect another cr@p storm about our weak schedule.

Pard4Life
October 14th, 2012, 11:32 AM
LOL, expect another cr@p storm about our weak schedule.

You've already had one!

RichH2
October 14th, 2012, 11:37 AM
You dont count P4L. This is about all those westerners knocking PL every year. In house, well wont dispute you.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 14th, 2012, 11:39 AM
You dont count P4L. This is about all those westerners knocking PL every year. In house, well wont dispute you.

I'm trying to spread the word out here!!

Pard4Life
October 14th, 2012, 11:41 AM

Dem's fightin' words paht-na... xnonono2x

RichH2
October 14th, 2012, 11:47 AM
LOL. Nice win over Yale. I am more optimistic on your Cross game. You have a D and a qb. Cross has neither.

Pard4Life
October 14th, 2012, 11:49 AM
LOL. Nice win over Yale. I am more optimistic on your Cross game. You have a D and a qb. Cross has neither.

Yes, but we have Frankosaurus.

RichH2
October 14th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Dont think even he could screw this one up.

crusader11
October 14th, 2012, 12:48 PM

Holy Cross' starting quarterback, sophomore Steve Elder, is actually better than all qb's in the league save for McCarney at Colgate and Higgins at Fordham.

The PL will have to deal with him for the next 2.5 years.

RichH2
October 14th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Not knocking Elder but I wouldn't base your evaluation on Gate game. Gate is the WVa of PL. No defense.

DFW HOYA
October 14th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Not knocking Elder but I wouldn't base your evaluation on Gate game. Gate is the WVa of PL. No defense.

In its last three games in Hamilton, Georgetown has scored a total of 17 points.

crusader11
October 14th, 2012, 01:59 PM

Having seen every QB in the PL play, I feel confident in sayin that he's the third best, despite only having played two games in his career.

Try to catch a portion of the Lafayette - HC game next weekend to check him out.

RichH2
October 14th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Will do.

Sader87
October 14th, 2012, 02:21 PM

What does that make HC....the BC of the PL????

RichH2
October 14th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Ok, you're our BC

Sader87
October 14th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Ok, you're our BC

heath
October 14th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Its totally amazing how a 7-0 team can have such negative fan responses. Not everyone but many armchair QB's that probably don't even make all the games are so down on many(mostly your QB)players.Hope those parents or future recruits/parents don't get a chance to read AGS or come in contact with such negative dribble. It would be hard to send my son into that atmosphere and really don't understand some of your post towards your own players. Always been a fan,but some of you Lehigh posters need to look in the mirror and think-what if that was my son.:(

RichH2
October 14th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Too negative. Perhaps but 7 TOs leaves little room for praise. If you read all the posts you would see that angst directed at mistakes not players. We are inordinately proud of our team with high expectations for success. More than anything we admire their toughness and ability to overcome mistakes and win. We have been doing it all yr. We may not be pretty but we know how to win.

Engineer86
October 14th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Its totally amazing how a 7-0 team can have such negative fan responses. Not everyone but many armchair QB's that probably don't even make all the games are so down on many(mostly your QB)players.Hope those parents or future recruits/parents don't get a chance to read AGS or come in contact with such negative dribble. It would be hard to send my son into that atmosphere and really don't understand some of your post towards your own players. Always been a fan,but some of you Lehigh posters need to look in the mirror and think-what if that was my son.:(

Point taken. I have seen 6.5 of the 7 LU games and been at every home game. No parent ever wants to see their son put down. But what would your reaction be if your son was the backup and clearly outplayed the starter in the spring game (he did), you watched all of the games so far and no thought has been made to give him a shot to see what he can do. Or as a fan who has watched this occur.

van
October 14th, 2012, 05:44 PM
xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx
Too negative. Perhaps but 7 TOs leaves little room for praise. If you read all the posts you would see that angst directed at mistakes not players. We are inordinately proud of our team with high expectations for success. More than anything we admire their toughness and ability to overcome mistakes and win. We have been doing it all yr. We may not be pretty but we know how to win.

xthumbsupx

RichH2
October 14th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Tough spot 86. I was there some yrs back. Mine lost out eventually to knee but he has never regretted his team or experience. He was more mature than I. Trust that coaches know their job. Spring game an artificial environment. It is his time not ours.

heath
October 14th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Point taken. I have seen 6.5 of the 7 LU games and been at every home game. No parent ever wants to see their son put down. But what would your reaction be if your son was the backup and clearly outplayed the starter in the spring game (he did), you watched all of the games so far and no thought has been made to give him a shot to see what he can do. Or as a fan who has watched this occur.

"no parent wants to see their son put down"-Then stop doing it 86.Better yet,just ask for a release and transfer your son.If you can not support the team your son is on, then you are not a fan of that teamxthumbsupx GOOD LUCK the rest of the way.

Southsider
October 14th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Wow, looks like I picked the right game to miss for a 4 day golf trip. Of course, I selected this weekend as I assumed it would be a "cakewalk". I'm glad I did miss the radio broadcast as I am sure my wife and sons would have given me several flags for profanity! After looking at Colvin's performance throughout the year, I too think he should sit for a series or two. That was done frequently years ago. If a starter was having a rough time he was pulled, if for no other reason, just to get him settled and focused. Better results usually followed. If not, then he is not the right guy. I admire loyalty, but that applies to back-ups also....

lehighfball
October 14th, 2012, 06:35 PM

The coaches don't pick a starter based on one game. How much of the backup did you see?

BucBisonAtLarge
October 14th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Ok, you're our BC
The worst possible stab at a HC fan.

RichH2
October 14th, 2012, 06:55 PM
I know but couldn't help myself.

Engineer86
October 14th, 2012, 06:59 PM
"no parent wants to see their son put down"-Then stop doing it 86.Better yet,just ask for a release and transfer your son.If you can not support the team your son is on, then you are not a fan of that teamxthumbsupx GOOD LUCK the rest of the way.

I think the problem is I am too much a fan of the team. With no kids on the team. I just truly believe there are other kids that could do better if given a chance. I see a lot of potential in this team, but 7 weeks in they have not played a full game close to that potential. I am far from the only one on this board to point that out. The discussion of Lehigh's underperformance is almost never ending on here. Again, my frustration is over the top and you are right, these are you men giving there best, so I will cool it.

I only hope LEHIGH61 will not pm me again for not caring enough about LU football.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 14th, 2012, 07:13 PM
I'll be honest, I was not happy after the Columbia game. But this game felt different than that one. Even though there were a lot of turnovers (obviously), this team really came together and did some of the little things to win this game. Lesser teams would have hung their heads and lost, or missed blocking the two FG attempts and lost, or missed making the big defensive stops and lost. These guys didn't. Despite the self-made hole, they regrouped and found a way to win the game. It's worth mentioning that that was something NDSU couldn't pull off this weekend.

Engineer86
October 14th, 2012, 07:24 PM
I'll be honest, I was not happy after the Columbia game. But this game felt different than that one. Even though there were a lot of turnovers (obviously), this team really came together and did some of the little things to win this game. Lesser teams would have hung their heads and lost, or missed blocking the two FG attempts and lost, or missed making the big defensive stops and lost. These guys didn't. Despite the self-made hole, they regrouped and found a way to win the game. It's worth mentioning that that was something NDSU couldn't pull off this weekend.

But at some point they have to play something close to a full game. I really am surprised that after 7 games we can't say they have been close to that. They have been primed to be beaten all year because of that inconsistent play and now with Spadola out it is much easier to defend, as most teams always had a safety over top of him. Thankfully they continue to win, but I really think come November, this will catch up with them at least once. They need to walk off the field without Andy saying something like "we made too many mistakes, but..." And then get on a roll.

RichH2
October 14th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Surprisingly I think we are getting closer to that goal. Maybe wishful thinking but just a feeling that we are turning it around . We did not take a period off. We made mistakes. 60 minutes and cut down lapses, 11-0.

hawkineer
October 14th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Despite the self-made hole, they regrouped and found a way to win the game. It's worth mentioning that that was something NDSU couldn't pull off this weekend.
It is certainly arguable that Indiana State was superior competition. I don't think we want to make any comparisons between LU winning despite 7 turnovers against GU and NDSU losing because of 2 pick 6s against ISU. I suspect NDSU could have easily survived 7+ turnovers against GU.

It was a "silk purse out of a sow's ear" win. Seven turnovers despite how it is spun is totally unacceptable. Happy with the win. On to Bucknell.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 14th, 2012, 08:00 PM
It is certainly arguable that Indiana State was superior competition. I don't think we want to make any comparisons between LU winning despite 7 turnovers against GU and NDSU losing because of 2 pick 6s against ISU. I suspect NDSU could have easily survived 7+ turnovers against GU.

This is where you're wrong. Jensen had the two pick sixes, and he was lost mentally the rest of the way. You could see it on ESPN3. Colvin isn't as good a player talent-wise as Jensen, but he did something that Jensen couldn't - put the turnovers behind him and find a way to win. It's not everything, but you make it sound like it's nothing, simply because it was against Georgetown. That's not true.

van
October 14th, 2012, 08:11 PM
But at some point they have to play something close to a full game. I really am surprised that after 7 games we can't say they have been close to that. They have been primed to be beaten all year because of that inconsistent play and now with Spadola out it is much easier to defend, as most teams always had a safety over top of him. Thankfully they continue to win, but I really think come November, this will catch up with them at least once. They need to walk off the field without Andy saying something like "we made too many mistakes, but..." And then get on a roll.

Well said, and I am quite sure everyone can agree with this. I do have to trust that the coaches are putting the best 11 out there. LU usually has enough depth that getting into the starting line up is sometimes tough for underclassmen. There is benefit to being able to start juniors and seniors that have been in the program and paid their dues even though a Soph or Frosh may be equally talented. Benching someone for a fumble, interception, bad penalty or missed assignment is not necessarily the best option. I think it is undisputable that this team has great chemistry, less tangible than 4.5 speed or bench press, but at this level maybe just as important.

DFW HOYA
October 14th, 2012, 08:23 PM
I don't think we want to make any comparisons between LU winning despite 7 turnovers against GU and NDSU losing because of 2 pick 6s against ISU. I suspect NDSU could have easily survived 7+ turnovers against GU.

Thanks for the support.

hawkineer
October 14th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the support.
This wasn't intended as slight to GU but more of a recognition of how good NDSU is. If LU could survive 7 turnovers, I think that it is very likely NDSU would have. I'm sorry if that offended GU fans. There is some evidence that NDSU is today a better team than Lehigh.

ngineer
October 14th, 2012, 09:58 PM

the 'spring game' is not like "wrestle offs" in wrestling. The decision on who started this year occurred the after two full weeks of camp in August. To suggest a change of QB's fails to consider what that does to the TEAM...which is what this is all about. How a team reacts to their leader is very important. While Colvin is not Lum, he does have the respect of his teammates who know that despite a bad play, he is also capable of doing something spectacular,too. The inconsistency is not much different than what we saw from Lum in his first year starting. Keep in mind that the WR level of play is not the same as Spadola/Drwal which caused all sorts of opportunities that have not existed this year. Things would have to be much worse than what we've seen to make a change. There are too many variables that many people don't consider.

hawkineer
October 14th, 2012, 10:34 PM
This is where you're wrong. Jensen had the two pick sixes, and he was lost mentally the rest of the way. You could see it on ESPN3. Colvin isn't as good a player talent-wise as Jensen, but he did something that Jensen couldn't - put the turnovers behind him and find a way to win. It's not everything, but you make it sound like it's nothing, simply because it was against Georgetown. That's not true.
Firstly Lehigh found a way to win. I guess Colvin should be complimented for playing a clean 2nd half. However, if the defense and special teams hadn't played so well throughout the entire game and especially during the 1st half, Colvin's clean play in the 2nd half would have been irrelevant.

Secondly, stating that Colvin did something Jensen couldn't do, which was put his turnovers behind him and find a way to win, is a ridiculous point and comparison. If Colvin had turned the ball over 5 times against Indiana State in the first half, LU would not have even been in the game to have the opportunity to come back and win. If Jensen had thrown two pick 6s against GU, odds are very high NDSU would still have found a way to win. It makes no sense to completely discount the quality of competition when comparing the "mental toughness" of the two QBs or its impact on the outcome of the two games.

I still can't figure out what point was trying to be made with the statement: "It's worth mentioning that that was something NDSU couldn't pull off this weekend." Except for making factually correct statement, it has no relevance to the LU - GU outcome, the quality of LU vs. NDSU, the quality of the two QBs or how the two fan bases feel about the quality of their two teams and QBs.

Lehigh'98
October 15th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Firstly Lehigh found a way to win. I guess Colvin should be complimented for playing a clean 2nd half. However, if the defense and special teams hadn't played so well throughout the entire game and especially during the 1st half, Colvin's clean play in the 2nd half would have been irrelevant.

Secondly, stating that Colvin did something Jensen couldn't do, which was put his turnovers behind him and find a way to win, is a ridiculous point and comparison. If Colvin had turned the ball over 5 times against Indiana State in the first half, LU would not have even been in the game to have the opportunity to come back and win. If Jensen had thrown two pick 6s against GU, odds are very high NDSU would still have found a way to win. It makes no sense to completely discount the quality of competition when comparing the "mental toughness" of the two QBs or its impact on the outcome of the two games.

I still can't figure out what point was trying to be made with the statement: "It's worth mentioning that that was something NDSU couldn't pull off this weekend." Except for making factually correct statement, it has no relevance to the LU - GU outcome, the quality of LU vs. NDSU, the quality of the two QBs or how the two fan bases feel about the quality of their two teams and QBs.

NDSU was in a letdown spot after beating the crap out of YSU and other good teams. No sense comparing them to Lehigh. They did the same thing last year and won it all. A loss isn't always the end of the world. I give Lehigh their dues for winning, but lets not get crazy, this team has holes, especially minus Spadola. If they play on road in playoffs like any of their last few games, it will be painful to watch. Wouldn't say that about NDSU

RichH2
October 15th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Predictions are worth about as much as generalizations. Particularly when talking about possible events 5 or 6 weeks from now and how young men will or will not do.
If you wanted to posit that LU wouldn't have beaten NDSU last weekend , OK. To count negatives only never a valid argument. Include the dominant play.

Sader87
October 15th, 2012, 09:03 AM
This has to be the longest "PL game thread" on AGS ever, no? Kudos....

crusader11
October 15th, 2012, 09:14 AM
This has to be the longest "PL game thread" on AGS ever, no? Kudos....

I'd imagine a LU-LC game may trump it.

Maybe Lehigh's game against Towson/NDSU last year, or Northern Iowa/Delaware the year before?

But, for a regular season game against Georgetown -- a poorly played game to boot -- this sure is quite the thread.

Footballhero
October 15th, 2012, 09:32 AM
[/B]

the 'spring game' is not like "wrestle offs" in wrestling. The decision on who started this year occurred the after two full weeks of camp in August. To suggest a change of QB's fails to consider what that does to the TEAM...which is what this is all about. How a team reacts to their leader is very important. While Colvin is not Lum, he does have the respect of his teammates who know that despite a bad play, he is also capable of doing something spectacular,too. The inconsistency is not much different than what we saw from Lum in his first year starting. Keep in mind that the WR level of play is not the same as Spadola/Drwal which caused all sorts of opportunities that have not existed this year. Things would have to be much worse than what we've seen to make a change. There are too many variables that many people don't consider.

ngineer, not sure agree with the WR comment. In fact the 4 headed monster of Spadola, Kurfis, Soto and Haggins is a more explosive arsenal of options this year than the Drawl/Spadola duo of last year. It just has to be harnessed and exploited. That means being able to go to a second and even third read consistently. I think Lum with those four receivers would probably blow away any previous year or team in the Patriot League. I agree with you about not making the QB change for all the reaons you state, but the WR situation is a banquet of options this year for any QB.

Mike

Lehigh Football Nation
October 15th, 2012, 09:08 PM
My "Sunday Word", which evidently will irritate many here, is "Hole".

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/10/sundays-word-hole.html

Incidentally, 6,000+ views and 44 pages for a Lehigh/GTown game definitely has to be some sort of record.

RichH2
October 15th, 2012, 09:39 PM
There we go patting ourselves on the back.

ngineer
October 15th, 2012, 09:53 PM
ngineer, not sure agree with the WR comment. In fact the 4 headed monster of Spadola, Kurfis, Soto and Haggins is a more explosive arsenal of options this year than the Drawl/Spadola duo of last year. It just has to be harnessed and exploited. That means being able to go to a second and even third read consistently. I think Lum with those four receivers would probably blow away any previous year or team in the Patriot League. I agree with you about not making the QB change for all the reaons you state, but the WR situation is a banquet of options this year for any QB.

Mike

But it hasn't been there. Haggins has missed almost half the games and not been 100% for any, and Spadola has obviously been MIA for the past two weeks, as confirmed that he was suffering prior to being sat this week. When the parts are constantly changing it effects the timing and comfort level between QB and receiver. I think Lum and Spadola were almost on a telepathy level at times. I don't sense that Colvin has been able to channel or anticipate when receivers begin to improvise to adjust to a different defense that suddenly appears. With Spadola and Drwal last year we had two All-League WR's in addition to Kurfis, Soto, Jimmy Jefferson and Haggins. I am hopeful that Parris is going to be a star, and the Kurfis and Soto will find consistency, but I don't see that yet.