PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Media Day Player Chat

colgate13
August 1st, 2006, 12:13 PM
The Patriot League Media Day is today and they've got an online chat. You can check it all out here (http://patriotleague.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/patr-06-media-day.html).

Click on the players name to read the Q and A.

Pard4Life
August 1st, 2006, 12:30 PM
I've been following the session... my favorite so far...

Bob Bevan West Chester PA: What was the most important lesson you learned in last year's Lafayette game?

Sedale Threatt: Finish the game.

colgate13
August 1st, 2006, 01:11 PM
It is interesting to see a common theme that all the players in the league generally respect every other team and need to come out to play each week to win.

Saraceno, while I agree with his style, read like a broken record a few times. He's watched Bull Durham a few times I bet!

colgate13
August 1st, 2006, 01:12 PM
Also, as lamented on the Fordham site -

Where's the Ram player rep? What's up with that????

Pard4Life
August 1st, 2006, 01:30 PM
Also, as lamented on the Fordham site -

Where's the Ram player rep? What's up with that????

seriously... the coaches probably told the players to be vague and not talk much.. or they were right over their shoulders..

Andy
August 1st, 2006, 02:23 PM
Saint sure as heck wasn't giving away any secrets nor did he risk insulting a teammate.

I loved this question and found the answer pretty lame. I mean why bother...

Mark (Danbury, CT): Hi Mike, I was wondering if you could give me some insight into the development of some of the younger guys on the defensive line. In particular, I was wondering about Babcock, Robinson, Schade and Mills. Thanks and best of luck in the coming season.
Mike Saint Germain: We have a good, young bunch of guys with a lot of potential.

Does anyone have any info on highly rated recruit, now soph, Robinson? They moved Lanzot ahead of him, which as a reward to a loyal senior I can understand. But, Kody, too? Does not speak well of JR's development. Anyone...?

No insult to Kody, by the way. I posted on the Voy board that I'm anxious to watch him--he's gotten much bigger and is said to move real well--I just thought we'd see him at DE.

Fordham
August 1st, 2006, 02:28 PM
Yeah, no one on our board knows why we weren't representin' here. Maybe we need to start funding our program like Lafayette does to get an invite ;) .

That said, here's my favorite exchange:

Live Chat With Georgetown Senior Offensive Lineman Liam Grubb

Question 2:
Joe (Potomac): What changes have you seen in the Georgetown program since Kevin Kelly became head coach ?

Liam Grubb: Coach Kelly has brought a lot of changes to both sides of the ball. I'll save the details for the season. We are not the same Georgetown team we have been in the past.

Question 6:
Billy, Bethesda, Md: what will be some of the Hoyas strengths?

Liam Grubb: The Navy offense that Coach Kelly has brought from the academy. It utlizes the option. A lot of teams in the League are not used to defending it.

Just got a chuckle out of how he plays coy in Q2 by saying he won't divulge any details and then goes on to talk about the new option system their putting in. <disclaimer: I know this kid is sharp and I know everyone knows that Coach is bringing the option from Navy but just found it funny nonetheless.>

PS - gate13, didn't know you lived in Brookville:

Chris, Brookville: Are you afraid to play at Colgate this season?

Liam Grubb: No. Colgate is a game I always look forward to. They are very competitive every year. I like the challenge that they and all Patriot League opponents present us.

Pard4Life
August 1st, 2006, 02:32 PM
Yeah, no one on our board knows why we weren't representin' here. Maybe we need to start funding our program like Lafayette does to get an invite ;)

Yeah yeah... :rotateh:

carney2
August 1st, 2006, 02:37 PM
A lot of Bull Durham bull was shoveled at this session. Any ideas as to why Threatt's and Niemczik's sessions were so much shorter than the others?

Fordham
August 1st, 2006, 02:40 PM
profanity?

colgate13
August 1st, 2006, 02:41 PM
PS - gate13, didn't know you lived in Brookville:

That wasn't me - but I sure got a chuckle out of it!

colgate13
August 1st, 2006, 02:42 PM
A lot of Bull Durham bull was shoveled at this session. Any ideas as to why Threatt's and Niemczik's sessions were so much shorter than the others?
Lack of questions?

The Colgate session seemed pretty long and I know you could ask questions before hand.

Ken_Z
August 1st, 2006, 03:03 PM

Niemczik strategically refused to accept any questions pertinent to football in order to avoid giving any information to our opponents. by responding to a planted question, we hope that he successfully diverted the other teams' attention, and they will be distracted by checking the length of his hair during games. and to top that, he then fielded a question about his academics. what a red herring, we all know that academics have no place in a discussion about PL football.

unfortunately, we were out strategeried by Fordham which took avoidance to the next level.

Fordham
August 1st, 2006, 03:12 PM
we used Birnie's Bus service to get to the session.

Pard4Life
August 1st, 2006, 03:49 PM
xlolx

Ken_Z and Fordham... a stand-up tailgate act coming to a PL stadium near you...

LBPop
August 1st, 2006, 04:14 PM
Just got a chuckle out of how he plays coy in Q2 by saying he won't divulge any details and then goes on to talk about the new option system their putting in. <disclaimer: I know this kid is sharp and I know everyone knows that Coach is bringing the option from Navy but just found it funny nonetheless.>

Liam is just a terrific (and very large) young man. I'm sure that he was of no help to any opposing coaches, but those two comments taken together made me laugh as well. We're all anxious to see what the new coaching staff will bring (as are Fordham and Lehigh fans). In Georgetown's case I don't think X's and O's will be the difference. If Coach Kelly brings one thing from Navy it's the disciplined organization and focus...maybe that's two things. :rolleyes:

colgate13
August 1st, 2006, 05:29 PM
I do think he's off though - the PL has seen two option teams (Bucknell and Georgetown) for a few years now. It may be some version 2.0 in DC, but it's still the option. You've got to play your assignments, and hope the opposing team doesn't have a superstar.

ngineer
August 3rd, 2006, 12:21 AM
The one thing that kills me about the way so many teams play the option is their failure to attack the QB. If you are aggressive and pressure the QB from the get-go turnovers will occur and yet so many seem to 'follow' the QB as he roams down the line.....:rotateh:

colgate13
August 3rd, 2006, 07:42 AM
The one thing that kills me about the way so many teams play the option is their failure to attack the QB. If you are aggressive and pressure the QB from the get-go turnovers will occur and yet so many seem to 'follow' the QB as he roams down the line.....:rotateh:
What kills me more is when a player doesn't keep their assignment. So many big plays off the option are when a defensive player 'thinks' he knows where the ball is going so he over commits - and the big cut back for 40+ yards follows right after. :bawling:

The best defenses against the option are ones where the players have been together for a while and trust that the guy next to them can get the job done. A superhero is not needed. :twocents:

LBPop
August 3rd, 2006, 09:11 AM
What kills me more is when a player doesn't keep their assignment. So many big plays off the option are when a defensive player 'thinks' he knows where the ball is going so he over commits - and the big cut back for 40+ yards follows right after. :bawling:

The best defenses against the option are ones where the players have been together for a while and trust that the guy next to them can get the job done. A superhero is not needed. :twocents:

Since I agree completely, let me say how smart you are! ;)

I have coached the option and coached against it. On defense it is entirely about discipline. Each player has to resist the temptation to make that highlight tape hit...because it looks like the QB is just teed up. On offense it's about the QB's read and how well he and the up back communicate on the first hand-off. The inside run makes it work. If the defense doesn't respect that, they suddenly have somebody eight yards into the secondary while they're watching the QB and the trailing back act out their little charade.

Now having said all that, I hate that damned offense. I'm an 'I' formation power guy. Find a beast of a lead blocker, and abuse your tailback 35 times a game. Heck, he's only 19 years old...he can take it. :nod:

Lehigh Football Nation
August 3rd, 2006, 09:16 AM
Liam is just a terrific (and very large) young man. I'm sure that he was of no help to any opposing coaches, but those two comments taken together made me laugh as well. We're all anxious to see what the new coaching staff will bring (as are Fordham and Lehigh fans). In Georgetown's case I don't think X's and O's will be the difference. If Coach Kelly brings one thing from Navy it's the disciplined organization and focus...maybe that's two things. :rolleyes:

Liam was a really funny kid, I enjoyed my interview with him (and Buzbee)a lot. Seems like a good people-person to me - it wasn't surprising to me that he had an internship this summer in Washington. Buzbee was more serious-minded, and they were an interesting team.

Kelly was missing the crew-cut, but you could tell he was from the Academy. I agree- he seems like a "discipline guy" from my short interview.

LBPop
August 3rd, 2006, 09:44 AM
Kelly was missing the crew-cut, but you could tell he was from the Academy. I agree- he seems like a "discipline guy" from my short interview.

I spent about an hour with Coach Kelly one-on-one. He is very disciplined, very organized, but not a whacko about it by any means. There is an understated confidence about him that is probably a result of spending 20 years learning his profession before becoming a Head Coach for the first time. He is prepared, he requires his assistants to be prepared, and they all demand that the kids be prepared.

Of course I hope the Hoyas win. But as a Dad, I can tell you that regardless of W's and L's I am very pleased that after four years my son will have played for two fine men--Bob Benson and Kevin Kelly. And that Georgetown education won't hurt either. ;)

Fordham
August 3rd, 2006, 12:11 PM
Since I agree completely, let me say how smart you are! ;)

I have coached the option and coached against it. On defense it is entirely about discipline. Each player has to resist the temptation to make that highlight tape hit...because it looks like the QB is just teed up. On offense it's about the QB's read and how well he and the up back communicate on the first hand-off. The inside run makes it work. If the defense doesn't respect that, they suddenly have somebody eight yards into the secondary while they're watching the QB and the trailing back act out their little charade.

Now having said all that, I hate that damned offense. I'm an 'I' formation power guy. Find a beast of a lead blocker, and abuse your tailback 35 times a game. Heck, he's only 19 years old...he can take it. :nod:
Good call about the blowout hit on a QB. I remember the first time I played on a team that ran the option was for a senior bowl-type game in PA and I still remember how the QB's were taught to fall back after they make pitch so it cushions the blow but it makes the highlight reel look great for the defensive player. It's one of those things that make the casual fan go "OOOOOHHH" with the hit when all the while the RB is skirting down the sidelines with a big gain.

ngineer
August 3rd, 2006, 01:20 PM
Don't disagree with the required assignments at all, but the D has to pressure the QB to make early and hasty decisions rather than sitting back and playing one-on-one. The DE and ILB must penetrate and disrupt with the OLB or CB following their assignments.

carney2
August 3rd, 2006, 02:07 PM
I was under the impression that the option series was on the endangered species list, what with bigger, stronger, faster defenders able to cover so much more east-west real estate.

colgate13
August 3rd, 2006, 02:33 PM
I was under the impression that the option series was on the endangered species list, what with bigger, stronger, faster defenders able to cover so much more east-west real estate.
I think things go in cycles, and the option is out of fashion now at the college level. It may go away forever at some point, but I doubt it. Because it can really get you two ways. If a team is mediocre, sometimes they can make up for it with the option - a definite plus. But if a team really has the personnel to run it - particularly a dynamic QB with another RB that is a threat, then the option itself becomes a huge thing to contend with.:twocents:

LBPop
August 3rd, 2006, 04:47 PM
I think things go in cycles, and the option is out of fashion now at the college level. It may go away forever at some point, but I doubt it. Because it can really get you two ways. If a team is mediocre, sometimes they can make up for it with the option - a definite plus. But if a team really has the personnel to run it - particularly a dynamic QB with another RB that is a threat, then the option itself becomes a huge thing to contend with.:twocents:

You just explained why Coach Johnson has had so much success with it at Navy. He's got smart, athletic, disciplined kids who are generally physically outmanned. It can be a real equalizer and drive opposing coaches and players nuts. My problem is that I hate seeing the ball tossed around. I don't like the shotgun snap and I like handoffs. If the ball is in the air, it better be a forward pass. That way if it hits the ground, it's still mine. :nod: Geez, do I sound like a Geezer or what?

colgate13
August 3rd, 2006, 07:58 PM
You just explained why Coach Johnson has had so much success with it at Navy. He's got smart, athletic, disciplined kids who are generally physically outmanned. It can be a real equalizer and drive opposing coaches and players nuts. My problem is that I hate seeing the ball tossed around. I don't like the shotgun snap and I like handoffs. If the ball is in the air, it better be a forward pass. That way if it hits the ground, it's still mine. :nod: Geez, do I sound like a Geezer or what?

If you mentioned leather helmets, then I would have agreed! :D

LBPop
August 3rd, 2006, 09:02 PM
If you mentioned leather helmets, then I would have agreed! :D
Wait, have the helmets changed? The Kid never tells me anything. :nonono2: xlolx