PDA

View Full Version : Johns Hopkins wins National Title in LAX

ngineer
May 30th, 2005, 03:52 PM
The Blue Jays stormed from behind to knock off the Blue Devils of Duke, 9-8, at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia, Monday afternoon. What a gorgeous setting. Almost 45,000 in attendance, setting a new NCAA record for attendance for a championship game, as well as for the three-day weekend.
Duke jumped out to a 3-1 lead in the first quarter and from there kept the Blue Jays at bay, with JHU constantly tying the game up, and then falling behind. Duke lead at the half, 7-6. The second half was all JHU. Holding Duke to one goal the entire second half was amazing; but you could see it coming together for JHU late in the first half. Duke initially lead by almost a 2-1 margin on shots midway throught the second period, when Hopkins began to gain control of the game. Shots ended up 31 apiece for the game. Time of possession was tremendously in favor of Hopkins. They clearly were the better coached team in moving the ball around and maintaining possession. The second half adjustments were obvious.
This was Johns Hopkins first NC since 1987. They are also the first undefeated NC at D-I level since 1997, finishing at 16-0. Their coach also became the first coach to win a NC as a coach and a player--having played for JHU in the mid-80's. It was good to see such a storied program get back in the spotlight. AS for Duke, they had a tremendous season, catching a lot of people by surprise. A lot of fire-power.
It was my first visit to the "Linc". A great venue for any sport with a rectangular field. Let's see about getting the I-AA championship game there-wow.

Ivytalk
May 31st, 2005, 08:55 AM
I was there, too, Ngineer (section 221)! Next year, maybe we could tailgate before the game! Excellent second-half clampdown by the Jays defense.

89Hen
May 31st, 2005, 09:07 AM
I couldn't bear to watch after UVA choked on Saturday.

kardplayer
May 31st, 2005, 09:10 AM
I was there on Saturday - a tremendous setting. I'd love to see the I-AA Championship game there!

Mr. C
May 31st, 2005, 09:28 AM
I watched the game on ESPN. Great finish by Hopkins on Saturday with the last-second win and great defense in the second half against an explosive Duke offensive team.

Question for everyone: How many I-AA schools field lacrosse teams?

89Hen
May 31st, 2005, 09:38 AM

University at Albany
Brown University
Bucknell University
Colgate University
Cornell University
Dartmouth College
University of Delaware
Georgetown University
Harvard University
Hofstra University
College of the Holy Cross
Lafayette College
Lehigh University
Marist College
University of Massachusetts
University of Pennsylvania
Princeton University
Robert Morris University
Sacred Heart University
Stony Brook University
Towson University
Villanova University
Virginia Military Institute
Wagner College
Yale University

Formerly I-AA that dropped football:
Fairfield University
Siena College
St. John's University

colgate13
May 31st, 2005, 09:48 AM

I'm counting 24 (http://www.laxpower.com/update05/binmen/rpi01.php).

Edit: that's out of 57 D-I teams mind you...

2nd edit: Forgot Wagner! That's 25.