PDA

View Full Version : Grambling's Eugene Shows Up - CFL Practice Squad

TexasTerror
July 28th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Nick Deriso is reporting that Bruce Eugene is now 'north of the border' and on the practice squad roster of the Saskatchewan Rough Riders. Look forward to hearing what happens next at Eugene tries to stick with pro ball and look for a shot at the NFL. The Roughriders have yet to make an official decision on signing Eugene.
-------
Former Grambling State quarterback Bruce Eugene has been added to the Saskatchewan Roughriders' practice squad.

"He told me he had a great workout," said Grambling coach Melvin Spears. "I think he could be in the hunt to make the team."

Eugene, who was on the Roughriders' negotiation list since March 1, had cell phone trouble and was unavailable for comment on Tuesday. He was signed by the New Orleans Saints on May 1, but was waived on June 20.
Roughriders coach Danny Barrett reportedly brought Eugene in on a try-out basis, and hasn't yet decided on signing the record-breaking conference player of the year to a contract. Eugene would be the fifth quarterback on the roster behind athletic quarterback Kerry Joseph — who ranks in the top five in CFL rushing yards.

— Nick Deriso

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060726/SPORTS/607260337/1006

Jag4Life
July 28th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Go Bruce! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Tod
July 28th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Go Bruce! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Indeed!

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

McNeeserocket
July 28th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Nick Deriso is reporting that Bruce Eugene is now 'north of the border' and on the practice squad roster of the Saskatchewan Rough Riders. Look forward to hearing what happens next at Eugene tries to stick with pro ball and look for a shot at the NFL. The Roughriders have yet to make an official decision on signing Eugene.
-------
Former Grambling State quarterback Bruce Eugene has been added to the Saskatchewan Roughriders' practice squad.

"He told me he had a great workout," said Grambling coach Melvin Spears. "I think he could be in the hunt to make the team."

Eugene, who was on the Roughriders' negotiation list since March 1, had cell phone trouble and was unavailable for comment on Tuesday. He was signed by the New Orleans Saints on May 1, but was waived on June 20.
Roughriders coach Danny Barrett reportedly brought Eugene in on a try-out basis, and hasn't yet decided on signing the record-breaking conference player of the year to a contract. Eugene would be the fifth quarterback on the roster behind athletic quarterback Kerry Joseph — who ranks in the top five in CFL rushing yards.

— Nick Deriso

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060726/SPORTS/607260337/1006

Kerry Joseph is the all time record setting quarterback from McNeese. Though I wish Eugene well, I cannot in all honesty wish him to unseat Joseph.

Retro
July 28th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Kerry's probably the best all-around player in the CFL right now.. Everytime i watch a CFL game, they talk about him..

July 29th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Bruce should make that team easily... question:

Could Bruce run a full or just a half circle around Joseph (who ranks in the top five in CFL rushing yards) before beating him to the line of scrimmage? xlolx

Tod
July 29th, 2006, 01:39 AM
Bruce should make that team easily... question:

Could Bruce run a full or just a half circle around Joseph (who ranks in the top five in CFL rushing yards) before beating him to the line of scrimmage? xlolx

Don't matter , Dickinson would blow them both away. :D

But seriously, if Bruce doesn't kick ass in the CFL (and I think make it to the NFL), then I'll be really surprised.

July 29th, 2006, 02:05 AM
ah it is more than ability in the pros so whatever... thanks Brugene for all the I-AA thrills and records!

Tribe4SF
July 29th, 2006, 06:12 AM
Already on that roster is former Hofstra QB Rocky Butler.

TexasTerror
July 29th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Kerry's probably the best all-around player in the CFL right now.. Everytime i watch a CFL game, they talk about him..

I've heard a great deal about him and Damon Allen (Marcus Allen's brother) whenever I hear about the CFL. Definitely a testament to Joseph's ability as a QB in the league...

McNeese75
July 29th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Don't matter , Dickinson would blow them both away. :D

But seriously, if Bruce doesn't kick ass in the CFL (and I think make it to the NFL), then I'll be really surprised.

Ummmmm, I don't believe he blew Joseph away the last time they met this season :nono:

Jax
August 7th, 2006, 12:50 PM
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Good luck Bruce. :thumbsup:

Mr. C
August 7th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Kerry Joseph is one of the top two or three QBs in Canada right now. Eugene will not see much time with the Roughriders as long as Joseph is healthy. He is No. 3 or 4 on the depth chart and will likely be in a learning environment this year.

Richie Williams finally got his first CFL action with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats a week ago (2-5 passing, ran for about 16 yards on the final play in mop-up duty). He says that its been a big adjustment learning the new offense with a play book that is several inches thick, instead of playing in a system that just had a handful of plays.