PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs - Where teams stand on elmination

BlueHenSinfonian
September 23rd, 2012, 01:28 PM
Only week 4 and there are already three teams which must win the conference autobid to make the playoffs. Here is how it looks so far: (does not include the Ivy League which chooses not to participate in the playoffs, and the SWAC which is playoff ineligible)

Can Not Reach 7 D1 Wins -

Liberty 0-4 with only 6 D1 games remaining on the schedule. The Flames must win the Big South to make the playoffs
Gardner Webb 0-4 with only 6 D1 games remaining on the schedule. Must win the Big South to make the playoffs
Charleston Southern 1-3 with 0 D1 wins and only 6 D1 games remaining on the schedule, must with the Big South to make the playoffs

On the Bubble - Must win out to reach 7 D1 wins:

UNI
Valpo
Campbell
Morehead State
Weber State
UC Davis
Portland State
Northern Colorado
Presbyterian
VMI
SFA
Western Carolina
Chattanooga
Savannah State
Hampton
William and Mary
Georgia State
Missouri State

dgreco
September 23rd, 2012, 01:59 PM
you missed Bryant. The team is 0-4 and has 7 DI games remaining on the schedule.

sgt smash
September 23rd, 2012, 02:09 PM
May as well toss SHSU in there to. 0 D1 wins and 8 games left with the season finale against Texas A&M. No disrespect to Samm but it is gonna be a long road to the playoffs for them as well.

Engineer86
September 23rd, 2012, 02:35 PM
With both Sam and UNI scheduling two BCS conference schools, this will be an interesting year with then 7 game rule, particularly for UNI since IMO they also play in the top FCS conference this year. One could say they are punished for playing two BCS games. They do also have one D-II game on their schedules, but in Sam's case it still only got them 4 home games and UNI 5 home games, so it shows the difficulty of scheduling, even with two money games.

Caveat, I would not be shocked to see them win out and get to seven, but I raise the 7 wins issue anyway.

Nickels
September 23rd, 2012, 03:47 PM
With both Sam and UNI scheduling two BCS conference schools, this will be an interesting year with then 7 game rule, particularly for UNI since IMO they also play in the top FCS conference this year. One could say they are punished for playing two BCS games. They do also have one D-II game on their schedules, but in Sam's case it still only got them 4 home games and UNI 5 home games, so it shows the difficulty of scheduling, even with two money games.

Caveat, I would not be shocked to see them win out and get to seven, but I raise the 7 wins issue anyway.
*3 home games for SAM
I wouldnt consider SAM a playoff or ranked team right not, not until they get a few wins and show they have some sort of offense.

CID1990
September 23rd, 2012, 03:51 PM
Only week 4 and there are already three teams which must win the conference autobid to make the playoffs. Here is how it looks so far: (does not include the Ivy League which chooses not to participate in the playoffs, and the SWAC which is playoff ineligible)

Liberty 0-4 with only 6 D1 games remaining on the schedule. The Flames must win the Big South to make the playoffs
Gardner Webb 0-4 with only 6 D1 games remaining on the schedule. Must win the Big South to make the playoffs
Charleston Southern 1-3 with 0 D1 wins and only 6 D1 games remaining on the schedule, must with the Big South to make the playoffs

UNI
Valpo
Campbell
Morehead State
Weber State
UC Davis
Portland State
Northern Colorado
Presbyterian
VMI
SFA
Western Carolina
Chattanooga
Savannah State
Hampton
William and Mary
Georgia State
Missouri State

With luck, El CID will take care of Chatty this weekend.

Twentysix
September 23rd, 2012, 03:52 PM
With luck, El CID will take care of Chatty this weekend.

You do that, we will take care of UNI. Win win for everyone ;)

asucrutch23
September 23rd, 2012, 04:54 PM
Still amazes me that a team like UNI or SHSU can schedule 2 FBS games AND a D2 or lower in the same season. The point is to make the playoffs. Is the double FBS payout worth jeopardizing the playoff chances of a really good team?

Not to pick on anyone, but I can see how a team like NoCo or WCU (traditionally bottom of their respective conferences and trying to build the program) can schedule 2 FBS games, but not teams like UNI or SHSU. I understand it's not always that easy, but if I'm the AD I do everything I can to avoid playing 2 games or more against FBS or D2 and lower opponents.

clenz
September 23rd, 2012, 04:58 PM
Uni had 2 fbs and a fcs game but savannah state backed out on us a couple months before the season leaving us basically zero options

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

DOME
September 23rd, 2012, 05:06 PM
The Iowa Regents are coming down hard on uni's athletic budget. Our AD scheduled two Fbs games to put money in the bank. Savanah St backed out to play FSU leaving us with a D2.

We can still win the valley though...

Maybe?

Houndawg
September 23rd, 2012, 06:03 PM

UNI
Valpo
Campbell
Morehead State
Weber State
UC Davis
Portland State
Northern Colorado
Presbyterian
VMI
SFA
Western Carolina
Chattanooga
Savannah State
Hampton
William and Mary
Georgia State
Missouri State

SIU isn't technically eliminated but the loss to EIU really put us between a rock and a hard place. Remaining games:

InSU
@IlSU
UNI
@YSU
@NDSU
SDSU
WIU

Somehow we have to go 5-2 from here on out. I don't see it given who we play on the road. Maybe upset UNI for Homecoming, but that four game stretch in the middle is a man's schedule. Were we to somehow get two of UNI, IlSU, NDSU, and YSU, I think we could have a legit argument to get into an expanded field at 6-5.

Twentysix
September 23rd, 2012, 07:08 PM
SIU isn't technically eliminated but the loss to EIU really put us between a rock and a hard place. Remaining games:

InSU
@IlSU
UNI
@YSU
@NDSU
SDSU
WIU

Somehow we have to go 5-2 from here on out. I don't see it given who we play on the road. Maybe upset UNI for Homecoming, but that four game stretch in the middle is a man's schedule. Were we to somehow get two of UNI, IlSU, NDSU, and YSU, I think we could have a legit argument to get into an expanded field at 6-5.

Perhaps, but if ISUr didnt make it last year at 7-4 (all division one games) I doubt a 6-5 team is gonna make it. You would likely be the 4th or 5th MVFC team in line also which wouldn't bode well. As far as I know the playoffs are 20 teams this year also not 24.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 23rd, 2012, 07:09 PM

InSU
@IlSU
UNI
@YSU
@NDSU
SDSU
WIU

The playoff field doesn't expand until next year.

Houndawg
September 24th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Perhaps, but if ISUr didnt make it last year at 7-4 (all division one games) I doubt a 6-5 team is gonna make it. You would likely be the 4th or 5th MVFC team in line also which wouldn't bode well. As far as I know the playoffs are 20 teams this year also not 24.

Ah, I thought it was 24 this year. We're done.

HailSzczur
October 1st, 2012, 03:56 PM
Looks like some of these team's Thanksgiving weekend just officially opened up

UNIFanSince1983
October 1st, 2012, 06:31 PM
UNI could have made September 8 a bye and played Hampton on October 6. HU only has 10 games and was looking for an 11th, and October 6 was one of their open dates. So no, UNI wasn't left with zero options.

That only makes sense if Hampton was willing to come to the UNI-Dome, and make it a 1 game only deal.