PDA

View Full Version : Study On Maryland-Eastern Shore Football Released

superman7515
September 21st, 2012, 08:39 PM
Delmarva Now - Maryland-Eastern Shore Football Study Released (http://www.delmarvanow.com/article/20120921/SPORTS/309210003/Study-UMES-football-released?odyssey=nav|head)

PRINCESS ANNE — The findings of a study on the feasibility of football at the University of Maryland Eastern Shore estimates that the program could be reinstated at the school, but only through an ambitious financial plan.

The findings of the inquest were released at Thursday’s news conference in which university President Juliette Bell discussed the issue.

“I was very pleased that the report, I thought, was very thorough and it addressed all the issues that we need to consider,” she said. “So I was not necessarily surprised by anything in it, and I was really pleased that it was comprehensive and would provide adequate information for us to make our decision. ”

The study, which was done by the firm of Alden & Associates, was requested following a spring meeting between then-interim President Mortimer Neufville and an advisory group to discuss the possibility of bringing football back to UMES. The $35,000 study was funded through the university’s foundation in order to explore the issue independently and objectively.

Football at UMES was suspended following the 1979 season citing spiraling inflation and the cost of compliance with Title IX regulations, which required gender equity in sports. The program’s heyday was from 1946-68 when it compiled a record of 141-29-7.

Laker
September 21st, 2012, 09:11 PM
Delmarva Now - Maryland-Eastern Shore Football Study Released (http://www.delmarvanow.com/article/20120921/SPORTS/309210003/Study-UMES-football-released?odyssey=nav|head)

I hope that they restart the sport. And I've always liked the term Delmarva.

Franks Tanks
September 21st, 2012, 09:51 PM
I would love to see UMES football return but I don't think it will happen. The school is too small and too rural.

UMES has a great history. Alums of the program include Art Shell and the late great Clarence Clemons of the E-Street Band.

superman7515
September 21st, 2012, 10:43 PM
Just checking the enrollment numbers, more students than Presbyterian, Alcorn State, Mississippi Valley State, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Tulsa, Gardner-Webb, VMI, Bethune-Cookman, Delaware State, Savannah State, St. Francis, Wagner, Bucknell, Colgate, Holy Cross, Lafayette, Butler, Davidson, Drake, Marist, Valparaiso, and future Southland member Houston Baptist. Not counting the military academies because they're kind of their own island, it's about the same size as Wake Forest.

DSUrocks07
September 21st, 2012, 11:34 PM
Football at UMES IS feasible, and at the D1-FCS level as well, its gonna take a serious investment from the administration AND the Alumni as well (something not to well known among HBCUs these days). They do have a club team now that's playing Coppin State this weekend so I think this is their way of saying that they WANT football, but they need the Alums to invest as well.

Mr. C
September 22nd, 2012, 01:38 AM
I would love to see UMES football return but I don't think it will happen. The school is too small and too rural.

UMES has a great history. Alums of the program include Art Shell and the late great Clarence Clemons of the E-Street Band.

Don't forget former Denver Bronco great Billy Thompson, who should make the College Football Hall of Fame someday. He has been on the ballot for a couple of years now.

I'd love to see Maryland-Eastern Shore back in the college football ranks.

superman7515
September 26th, 2012, 08:32 AM
DelMarVa Now: Bring Football Back To UMES (http://www.delmarvanow.com/article/20120925/OPINION01/309250058/Our-View-Bring-football-back-UMES?odyssey=nav|head)

It’s almost difficult to remember now, but there was a time when the University of Maryland Eastern Shore was a virtual powerhouse in football among historically black college institutions. Records show quite clearly that between the years of 1947-1960, teams representing the old Maryland State College recorded five undefeated seasons. As everyone knows, Oakland Raiders great Art Shell was a product of the school, but what everyone might not know is the depth to which Shell often credits his success to his formation on the Princess Anne gridiron. Other legitimate greats have also spent time on the Somerset practice fields, and that list would have to include Emerson Boozer, Roger Brown, Earl Christy, Johnny Sample, Charlie Stukes, Carl Hairston and James Duncan.

The Division I football program was eliminated in 1980, after the costs of Title IX added to the university’s sports budget commitments. The program by then had hit a hard patch, and the decision — while gut wrenching at the time — was seen as prudent.

Still, in the intervening 32 years, there has been substantial alumni desire to see the football program restored. The problem — still — is money.

Last week, UMES President Juliette Bell released the results of a long-awaited study that weighs the possibility of football returning to the school. The study’s ultimate conclusion is that money is the chief hurdle, and that only the most ambitious thinking and planning could make the program revival a success.

DSUrocks07
September 26th, 2012, 10:45 AM
DelMarVa Now: Bring Football Back To UMES (http://www.delmarvanow.com/article/20120925/OPINION01/309250058/Our-View-Bring-football-back-UMES?odyssey=nav|head)

"The problem — still — is money."

If its been 30 years and they're still saying this...football will only be a club sport for the forseeable future. Unless they find a way to turn Princess Anne, MD into a Boone, NC.

Or find a couple of rich donors who can get them off the ground...and it's been 30 years so....

Lehigh Football Nation
September 26th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Delaware State
UMES
Morgan State
Howard
Norfolk State
Hampton

A compact 6-team conference. Or the Northern wing of a two-division MEAC:

FAMU
BCU
NCAT
NCC
Savannah State
South Carolina State

It's almost too perfect to actually happen.

DSUrocks07
September 26th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Delaware State
UMES
Morgan State
Howard
Norfolk State
Hampton

A compact 6-team conference. Or the Northern wing of a two-division MEAC:

FAMU
BCU
NCAT
NCC
Savannah State
South Carolina State

It's almost too perfect to actually happen.

Don't forget about Coppin, they have a club team as well and all signs point to them looking to join the MEAC in a few years as well.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 26th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Don't forget about Coppin, they have a club team as well and all signs point to them looking to join the MEAC in a few years as well.

That would still support divisions, and allow DSU to jump to the NEC or the Big South. Very plausible.

whoanellie
September 26th, 2012, 01:44 PM
I photographed the last team photo of UMES & theMaryland St. legacy back then like 31 NFL players like Johnny Sample always though they should merge w/ Salisbury.

Football at UMES IS feasible, and at the D1-FCS level as well, its gonna take a serious investment from the administration AND the Alumni as well (something not to well known among HBCUs these days). They do have a club team now that's playing Coppin State this weekend so I think this is their way of saying that they WANT football, but they need the Alums to invest as well.

Go...gate
September 26th, 2012, 02:21 PM

Johnny Sample and Emerson Boozer, too, among many others. Their BB team was in the 1974 NIT and advanced to the Quarterfinals, back when the NIT still meant something.