Link http://realtimerpi.com/football/ncaaf_Men.html

bojeta
September 17th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Top two FCS Schools are.....

North Dakota St at # 99
Old Dominion Monarchs at # 104

Real time updated every 5 or 6 minutes

Link http://realtimerpi.com/football/ncaaf_Men.html

Nearly fell out of my seat laughing!!! Harvard 115!!! Citadel 125, N. Iowa 143, Cal Poly 146..... I could go on..... NO CLUE!!!!

pokefan02
September 17th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Princeton has the toughest strength of schedule ???

MSUBobcat
September 17th, 2012, 11:06 PM
xthumbsdownxWhat an absolute POS. Can the mods please delete this thread before other newbs use this garbage for smack or filling out their polls. Yikes. xsmhx

MTfan4life
September 17th, 2012, 11:10 PM
We are three games into the season. Ivy league schools are only one. Computer ratings are sometimes going to look like a poll fashioned by a drunk guy picking out of a hat until we get further into the season.

DSUrocks07
September 18th, 2012, 01:09 AM
216 fcs Savannah St.
217 fcs Southern Ill.
218 fcs Austin Peay
219 fcs Butler
220 fcs Georgia St.
221 fcs Gardner-Webb
222 fcs Chattanooga
223 fcs Stephen F. Austin
224 fcs UC Davis
225 fcs Cornell
226 fcs Central Conn. St.
227 fcs Rhode Island
228 fcs N.C. A&T
229 fcs Morehead St.
230 fcs Davidson
231 fcs Robert Morris
232 fcs Wagner
233 fcs Western Carolina
234 fcs SE Louisiana
235 fcs Prairie View A&M
236 fcs Charleston S.
237 fcs Bryant
238 fcs Presbyterian
239 fcs Northern Colorado
240 fcs Southern
241 fcs North Carolina Central
242 fcs Virginia Military
243 fcs Nicholls St.
244 fcs Idaho St.
245 fcs Sacred Heart
246 fcs SE Missouri St.

xpopcornx

alvinkayak6
September 18th, 2012, 01:11 AM
If anyone can find a betting line with Stephen F. Austin and Savannah State, please let me know. I like free money. :D

LakesBison
September 18th, 2012, 01:33 AM
i agree, delete this abomination. thats 8 fcs polls now! haha.

UAalum72
September 18th, 2012, 07:42 AM
216 fcs Savannah St.
217 fcs Southern Ill.
218 fcs Austin Peay
219 fcs Butler ...

As I've often argued about basketball, the RPI formula is HIGHLY dependent on strength of schedule up to current date; your own results mean less than your opponents' results; also penalizes a good school in a weaker league once conference play starts.

darell1976
September 18th, 2012, 08:15 AM
#173....um okay.xlolx

DJnva
September 18th, 2012, 08:33 AM
I like it and think it's accurate because my school is ranked high.

PAllen
September 18th, 2012, 10:28 AM
We are three games into the season. Ivy league schools are only one. Computer ratings are sometimes going to look like a poll fashioned by a drunk guy picking out of a hat until we get further into the season.

+1

MSUBobcat
September 18th, 2012, 10:42 AM
As I've often argued about basketball, the RPI formula is HIGHLY dependent on strength of schedule up to current date; your own results mean less than your opponents' results; also penalizes a good school in a weaker league once conference play starts.

Which is a big part of where this thing fails. Top 10 SOS:

1. Princeton - One game against the Beast of the East, Lehigh, gets you the #1 ranked SOS??? That alone should discredit this formula. xnonono2x
2. Auburn - Makes a little more sense. Played #10 Clemson, @ #23 Miss. St, and surprising UL-Monroe
3. Pitt - Played top ten FCS YSU team, @ 2-0 ORV Cincinnati and ORV 15 VT
4. Missouri State - played @ 2 top 20 FBS teams in K-State and Louisville as well as Murray State
5. Campbell - Games against 2-1 D-II Shorter, 1-2 NAIA UVA-Wise and top ten FCS ODU gets you the #5 SOS? How tough IS ODU? xeekx
6. Wyoming - @ #12 Texas, v. 2-1 Toledo, v. FCS Cal Poly. Not horrible I guess.
7. Texas A&M - v. #14 Florida, @ 1-2 SMU. May be a little high
8. Rice - v. top 20 UCLA, @ 1-2 Kansas, @ 2-0 La. Tech
9. Oregon St. - v. 2-1 ORV Wisconsin; don't understand how 1 game against a team that seems to be in a down year is top ten SOS
10. SHSU - v. 1-2 D-II Incarnate Word, @ 2-0 ORV Baylor;

Princeton and Oregon State have 1 game resumes and Princeton's SOS is higher. So playing Wisconsin at home is an easier than having to play Lehigh in their house xconfusedx

Seems like playing a #11-ORV FBS school gets you a top 10 SOS. #1 & #5 are completely bogus; #7, #9 & #10 seem to be a stretch; #6 & #8 could be ok, not sure. #2, #3, #4 are definitely tough schedules and meet the eye test of being top 10 SOS, IMO xtwocentsx

MSUBobcat
September 18th, 2012, 10:45 AM

I completely agree with this, but when SOS is a big factor and some component in ranking SOS seems way out of wack in this formula, I don't know that it will be self correcting with a larger sampling of games. This formula seems fundamentally flawed from the start.

UAalum72
September 18th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Princeton and Oregon State have 1 game resumes and Princeton's SOS is higher. So playing Wisconsin at home is an easier than having to play Lehigh in their house xconfusedx

That's obvious; Wisconsin is 2-1 while Lehigh is 3-0. 0.667 vs. 1.000 is half the value of RPI.xrolleyesx

RPI also takes no account of scoring margin.

PAllen
September 18th, 2012, 11:15 AM
"1. Princeton - One game against the Beast of the East, Lehigh, gets you the #1 ranked SOS??? That alone should discredit this formula. xnonono2x " - Nah, just shows the greatness of all things rolling off of South Mountain
"5. Campbell - Games against 2-1 D-II Shorter, 1-2 NAIA UVA-Wise and top ten FCS ODU gets you the #5 SOS? How tough IS ODU? xeekx " - Apparently almost as tough as Lehigh
"10. SHSU - v. 1-2 D-II Incarnate Word, @ 2-0 ORV Baylor; " - Incarnate Word is a real power, you just don't know it yet

"Princeton and Oregon State have 1 game resumes and Princeton's SOS is higher. So playing Wisconsin at home is an easier than having to play Lehigh in their house xconfusedx" - "The Beast of the East" ain't just a nickname for our homecoming queen.

penguinpower
September 18th, 2012, 11:35 AM
YSU was at 95.

MTfan4life
September 18th, 2012, 01:23 PM
I completely agree with this, but when SOS is a big factor and some component in ranking SOS seems way out of wack in this formula, I don't know that it will be self correcting with a larger sampling of games. This formula seems fundamentally flawed from the start.

What has it done that's fundamentally flawed? Just ignore everything on there right now. Note that Real Time RPI doesn't take into account sub DI games, so that doesn't factor into SOS like you have outlined. I'm not supporting this rating system by any means, I'm just telling you to wait five weeks and then decide if you think it's extremely flawed.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 18th, 2012, 02:05 PM

So why is ODU so high?

UAalum72
September 18th, 2012, 03:33 PM
So why is ODU so high?
http://realtimerpi.com/faq.html

A team's RPI is a sum of three values: 25% of the team's winning percentage, 50% of its opponents' average winning percentage (strength of schedule), and 25% of its opponents' opponents' average winning percentage (opponents' strength of schedule). Only results against teams which are in NCAA Division I

The Strength Of Schedule (SOS) as measured by RPI is given by 2/3 times a team's opponents' winning percentage plus 1/3 times their opponents' opponents' winning percentage.

And this is the power ranking, not strict RPI, so they factor scoring margin in too.

ElonFirefighter
September 18th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Princeton has the toughest strength of schedule ???

Its not easy playing with yourself

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 19th, 2012, 03:57 AM
xeekx
Its not easy playing with yourself

TWSS?

xawesomex