PDA

View Full Version : Northern Iowa @ Youngstown State (Week 4)

Pages : 1 [2]

skinny_uncle
September 22nd, 2012, 09:21 PM
Time?

unigriff
35 all...7 minutes left.

unigriff
UNI will use 4 minutes on the next drive and score a FG....book it.

unigriff
September 22nd, 2012, 09:23 PM
touchback...UNI ball on 25.

DoubleE
If YSU defense can get a stop here we will win

Bison Fan in NW MN
Damn.....wish I was at this game......

DoubleE
September 22nd, 2012, 09:24 PM
pass incomplete. 3rd and 9 uni from 26

DoubleE
September 22nd, 2012, 09:25 PM
pass incomplete. 4th and 9

DoubleE
defense steps up

unigriff
4th n 9 for UNI...RB was wide open on the screen Sawyer misses him...UNI to punt.

DoubleE
September 22nd, 2012, 09:26 PM
stubbs returns the punt to the 30

unigriff
September 22nd, 2012, 09:26 PM
YSU first n 10 at their own 30. YSU d4fense stepped up...can UNI?

unigriff
September 22nd, 2012, 09:27 PM
1st n 10 for YSU...5 minutes left...

UNIFanSince1983
September 22nd, 2012, 09:31 PM
Well good game Penguins. Your defense came up big more than ours did

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mmiller_34
September 22nd, 2012, 09:32 PM
This game is nuts. TD YSU.

unigriff
September 22nd, 2012, 09:32 PM
1:50 left....YSU scores to make it 42-35

Screamin_Eagle174
September 22nd, 2012, 09:33 PM
NM

unigriff
plenty of time for UNI offense

Go Lehigh TU Owl
for some reason i can't get the espn3 link to work...won't load...ugh

DoubleE
September 22nd, 2012, 09:35 PM
for some reason i can't get the espn3 link to work...won't load...ugh

espn doesnt like you

DoubleE
ok. no more damn screen plays defense

Bison Fan in NW MN
Damn....wish I had ESPN 3

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 22nd, 2012, 09:36 PM
espn doesnt like you

seriously, all i got is the UNI QB with the circle spinning

DoubleE
seriously, all i got is the UNI QB with the circle spinning

do you have the latest version of flash ?

DoubleE
damnit. UNI is driving

mmiller_34
September 22nd, 2012, 09:37 PM
And.... UNI already in scoring distance.

DoubleE
UNI down to the 34 yard line 55 seconds

Bison Fan in NW MN
How much time left?

DoubleE
ball on 34 with 44 seconds left

DoubleE
September 22nd, 2012, 09:38 PM
incomplete. 39 seconds left

mmiller_34
September 22nd, 2012, 09:39 PM
4th and 1. Nitty-Gritty time.

DoubleE
September 22nd, 2012, 09:39 PM
timeout penguins

DoubleE
September 22nd, 2012, 09:40 PM
qb keeper to the 31. 34 seconds left. qb helmet has come off, i think he has to come off the field

DoubleE
September 22nd, 2012, 09:42 PM
backup qb pass incompelte. 2nd and 10 from 31 29 seconds left

DoubleE
September 22nd, 2012, 09:42 PM
pass incomeplete. 3rd and 10 from 31 22 seconds left

DoubleE
September 22nd, 2012, 09:43 PM
incomplete. 4th and 10 from the 31 with 16 seconds left in game

DoubleE
September 22nd, 2012, 09:44 PM
timeout YSU, their last

frozennorth
September 22nd, 2012, 09:46 PM
congrats YSU!!!!

DoubleE
September 22nd, 2012, 09:47 PM
wow.......... what a crazy ending

DoubleE
September 22nd, 2012, 09:48 PM
YSU 42 UNI 35 F

Screamin_Eagle174
What a game! Congrats YSU!!!! Lots of "new(ish) guard" wins today over the old guard.

unigriff
congrats to YSU...but UNI got shafted...still should be one more play...1.2 seconds left.

clenz
THERE WAS ONE ****ING SECOND LEFT ON THAT GOD DAMNED CLOCK...BULL ****ING ****

Go Lehigh TU Owl
Great win for YSU. UNI is a very solid team but their AD's decision to schedule for money will likely keep them out of the playoffs.

UNIFanSince1983
September 22nd, 2012, 09:50 PM
I am confused about who the pass interference was on for UNI.

Either way congrats to YSU. You guys earned that win. Hard fought game. Very disappointing, but need to move on for NDSU next week.

da_Bison
September 22nd, 2012, 09:51 PM

Either way congrats to YSU. You guys earned that win. Hard fought game. Very disappointing, but need to move on for NDSU next week.

crazy thing is a 1-3 UNI is still top ten in my opinion

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 22nd, 2012, 09:53 PM
Great job YSU!

Jacked_Rabbit
September 22nd, 2012, 09:53 PM
A 6-win UNI team would be better than more than half of the teams in the playoff field... MVFC should get 5 (or 6) teams in this year. I realize that won't happen, but it should.

strike00
September 22nd, 2012, 09:56 PM
should have been one second left, it looked like the ref even signaled it, rediculous. Where was the offensove pass interference? Anyway , congrats to the Penguins. Very good team worthy of a top 5 ranking. I agree that UNI is top 10 with a 1-3 record, but playoffs seem unlikely. This defense is not up to the Panther defense standard.

clenz
September 22nd, 2012, 09:59 PM
I've watched the play 11 times now...there is litterally zero contact with ANY UNI WR and a YSU defender until the pass it knocked down...Also, this picture is after the ball has bounced TWICE and the ref is clearly signalling incomplete and blowing his whistle...

I hope Farley goes all UNLV from a couple years ago tonight

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q340/unipanthers10/2012-09-22_21-54-16_270_zps43649267.jpg

You can argue that we didn't play well enough to "deserve" to win....however, we deserved to have one more second back on the clock!

Twentysix
September 22nd, 2012, 10:42 PM
Good job YSU. I have doubts about both teams defenses after watching that game.

DoubleE
September 22nd, 2012, 11:05 PM
our pass defense is the Achilles heal of this team but the offense and run defense were able to make up for that weakness tonight. that being said the best way to beat ysu is to lineup 5 wr and throw the ball every play :(

Twentysix
September 22nd, 2012, 11:06 PM
our pass defense is the Achilles heal of this team but the offense and run defense were able to make up for that weakness tonight. that being said the best way to beat ysu is to lineup 5 wr and throw the ball every play :(

I suspect your biggest concern is ISU-r.

penguinpower
September 22nd, 2012, 11:35 PM

I didn't see pass interference IMOP.

Mr. C
September 22nd, 2012, 11:40 PM
I've watched the play 11 times now...there is litterally zero contact with ANY UNI WR and a YSU defender until the pass it knocked down...Also, this picture is after the ball has bounced TWICE and the ref is clearly signalling incomplete and blowing his whistle...

I hope Farley goes all UNLV from a couple years ago tonight

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q340/unipanthers10/2012-09-22_21-54-16_270_zps43649267.jpg

You can argue that we didn't play well enough to "deserve" to win....however, we deserved to have one more second back on the clock!

Nice screen cap on that. The video on my computer was so fuzzy I couldn't tell when it hit zero. I thought UNI should have had one more play. The play where your QB had to leave the field for one play after losing his helmet proved crucial too. UNI just ran out of time. I was hoping to see Overtime, it was such a good game. Two very good teams, IMO.

penguinpower
September 22nd, 2012, 11:46 PM
Nice screen cap on that. The video on my computer was so fuzzy I couldn't tell when it hit zero. I thought UNI should have had one more play. The play where your QB had to leave the field for one play after losing his helmet proved crucial too. UNI just ran out of time. I was hoping to see Overtime, it was such a good game. Two very good teams, IMO.

When the UI QB lost his helmet, UNI called a timeout which allowed the QB back into the game on the next play. I didn't know that was part of the rules, but it happened and apparently is...

Twentysix
September 22nd, 2012, 11:48 PM
When the UI QB lost his helmet, UNI called a timeout which allowed the QB back into the game on the next play. I didn't know that was part of the rules, but it happened and apparently is...

Probably akin to blood on a player in a basketball game. Timeouts fix everything. I just learned at tonights game that a QB can false start, by kicking one leg back, no less. I was under the impression a QB could do whatever the eff he wanted and all the other players had to be set.

ValleyChamp
September 22nd, 2012, 11:49 PM
Good job YSU. I have doubts about both teams defenses after watching that game.

UNI' defense sucked all night long, but I'm not sure it was an accurate representation of who they are considering all the injuries. Two LBs were out, and another (our best LB) was really banged up and nowhere near as effective. Our starting all-league CB was out, and a freshman was in his place. Banged up on the d-line as well. Really got hit hard by the injury bug the last two weeks.

Twentysix
September 22nd, 2012, 11:51 PM
UNI' defense sucked all night long, but I'm not sure it was an accurate representation of who they are considering all the injuries. Two LBs were out, and another (our best LB) was really banged up and nowhere near as effective. Our starting all-league CB was out, and a freshman was in his place. Banged up on the d-line as well. Really got hit hard by the injury bug the last two weeks.

That may be so, but I have no evidence to support the idea of UNI's defense being temporarily poor. It has seemed weak in every game I have watched. Perhaps later in the season they will change my mind.

ValleyChamp
September 22nd, 2012, 11:51 PM
Great win for YSU. UNI is a very solid team but their AD's decision to schedule for money will likely keep them out of the playoffs.

It was not a "decision" to schedule for money. What an ignorant post. You think UNI wants to do this ****?

Besides that fact, it was not the two B10 games that killed UNI, it was Savannah St royally screwing UNI, which forced UNI to play a D2.

ValleyChamp
September 22nd, 2012, 11:54 PM
That may be so, but I have no evidence to support the idea of UNI's defense being temporarily poor. It has seemed weak in every game I have watched. Perhaps later in the season they will change my mind.

Looked weak against who? UNI played at freaking Wisconsin and Iowa. And they actually looked better against them than they did against YSU.

Not going to be many games against FCS teams that have O and D lines like Wisc and Iowa.

clenz
September 23rd, 2012, 12:00 AM
Also the box score doesn't list who the pass interference was on....but the do on every other penalty....

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Twentysix
September 23rd, 2012, 12:01 AM
Looked weak against who? UNI played at freaking Wisconsin and Iowa. And they actually looked better against them than they did against YSU.

Not going to be many games against FCS teams that have O and D lines like Wisc and Iowa.

Looked weak against Iowa, I watched Iowa gash UNI over and over and over. I didn't watch the UW game. If you think your defense looked good against Iowa you should take the purple glasses off.

I watched UNI @ YSU and UNI @ Iowa. P.s. did Iowa really just lose to CMU? xlolx

Mr. C
September 23rd, 2012, 12:02 AM
That is a new safety rule for this year. The UNI backup played for one down and then the starter came back in. The time out had nothing to do with him going in after missing one play.

penguinpower
September 23rd, 2012, 12:04 AM
Quit bitching Clenz. You lost. Done End of story. Tell me about the running into the kicker win you had.....total BS.

clenz
September 23rd, 2012, 12:06 AM
Ha...i love the quit bitching comment when YOU STILL ****ING BITCH ABOUT THAT ****.

YOU ARE PATHETIC

ValleyChamp
September 23rd, 2012, 12:14 AM
Looked weak against Iowa, I watched Iowa gash UNI over and over and over. I didn't watch the UW game. If you think your defense looked good against Iowa you should take the purple glasses off.

I watched UNI @ YSU and UNI @ Iowa. P.s. did Iowa really just lose to CMU? xlolx

I didn't say they looked good. I said that we played freaking Wisc and Iowa. Are you really going to compare those two with FCS teams? Its utterly pointless to use those games as your barometer. UNI had a 5 point loss at Wisconsin and an 11 point loss at Iowa, both are more than respectable showings.

Twentysix
September 23rd, 2012, 12:20 AM
I didn't say they looked good. I said that we played freaking Wisc and Iowa. Are you really going to compare those two with FCS teams? Its utterly pointless to use those games as your barometer. UNI had a 5 point loss at Wisconsin and an 11 point loss at Iowa, both are more than respectable showings.

I think its very likely NDSU and YSU would have both beaten both teams or played them as close as UNI or even closer. Neither is exceptional this year. Every week those close losses lose luster.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 23rd, 2012, 12:21 AM
It was not a "decision" to schedule for money. What an ignorant post. You think UNI wants to do this ****?

Besides that fact, it was not the two B10 games that killed UNI, it was Savannah St royally screwing UNI, which forced UNI to play a D2.

How was it not their decision to schedule two FBS games? Obviously they need the money. Why else would you do it?

Twentysix
September 23rd, 2012, 12:21 AM
How was it not their decision to schedule two FBS games? Obviously they need the money. Why else would you do it?

I think the Iowa legislature or governing body compelled them to schedule in that manner. Due to $$$$ problems.

ValleyChamp
September 23rd, 2012, 12:23 AM
I think its very likely NDSU and YSU would have both beaten both teams or played them as close as UNI or even closer. Neither is exceptional this year. Every week those close losses lose luster.

LOL, ok.

Twentysix
September 23rd, 2012, 12:27 AM
LOL, ok.

Should you lose next week will you continue to take the position that UNI has a great defense with a temporary(week to week) flaw?

More than likely your close BCS losses will both pickup another loss, each, next week. UNL going 4-1 and U of M going 5-0.

ValleyChamp
September 23rd, 2012, 12:48 AM
Should you lose next week will you continue to take the position that UNI has a great defense with a temporary(week to week) flaw?

More than likely your close BCS losses will both pickup another loss, each, next week. UNL going 4-1 and U of M going 5-0.

Wait, what? When did I say that UNI had/has a great defense? Never. I said that this week was probably not an accurate portrayal of what UNI really has, because there are SEVERAL key guys out with injury. I don't really know know how good UNI is right now, as its been tough to gauge considering the circumstances. UNI is not healthy right now. That's just the fact of the matter, and to discount that is silly.

You can choose to be a dumb message board fan and downplay the UW and Iowa games all you want, and claim that YSU and NDSU would beat those teams if you would like. But the fact of that matter is that both of them are B10 teams, both of which will have several NFL players. Without looking it up, I'm guessing the number of FCS teams to walk out of Camp Randall and Kinnick with a W is right at or incredibly close to zero.

UNI could very well lose to NDSU. Whether it be because of key injuries, or because NDSU is simply better. It doesn't matter. Playing Wisconsin, Iowa, YSU, and NDSU in the first 5 games is terrible and there aren't many (any) teams that are going to come out of a stretch like that very well, especially a team that is dealing with injuries.

Twentysix
September 23rd, 2012, 12:51 AM
Wait, what? When did I say that UNI had/has a great defense? Never. I said that this week was probably not an accurate portrayal of what UNI really has, because there are SEVERAL key guys out with injury. I don't really know know how good UNI is right now, as its been tough to gauge considering the circumstances. UNI is not healthy right now. That's just the fact of the matter, and to discount that is silly.

You can choose to be a dumb message board fan and downplay the UW and Iowa games all you want, and claim that YSU and NDSU would beat those teams if you would like. But the fact of that matter is that both of them are B10 teams, both of which will have several NFL players. Without looking it up, I'm guessing the number of FCS teams to walk out of Camp Randall and Kinnick with a W is right at or incredibly close to zero.

UNI could very well lose to NDSU. Whether it be because of key injuries, or because NDSU is simply better. It doesn't matter. Playing Wisconsin, Iowa, YSU, and NDSU in the first 5 games is terrible and there aren't many (any) teams that are going to come out of a stretch like that very well, especially a team that is dealing with injuries.

I don't disagree with your last sentence, however, you did completely overlook the fact that I more or less said NDSU and YSU are simply better than UNI this season. If theoretically inserted into UNI's games vs Wisky or Iowa NDSU and YSU would have faired even better than UNI did. Devaluing UNI's performance, which is the same thing the passage of time is doing, anyway.

I also asked a yes or no question in which you did not provide an adequate response. Try again.

Every team has injuries.

Daved
September 23rd, 2012, 12:53 AM

I watched UNI @ YSU and UNI @ Iowa. P.s. did Iowa really just lose to CMU? xlolxYeah Iowa lost to a MAC school--a sure sign that they really stink.

ValleyChamp
September 23rd, 2012, 01:06 AM
I don't disagree with your last sentence, however, you did completely overlook the fact that I more or less said NDSU and YSU are simply better than UNI this season. If theoretically inserted into UNI's games vs Wisky or Iowa NDSU and YSU would have faired even better than UNI did. Devaluing UNI's performance, which is the same thing the passage of time is doing, anyway.

I also asked a yes or no question in which you did not provide an adequate response. Try again.

Every team has injuries.

UNI has played, hands down, the most difficult schedule in the nation. To argue that the passage of time devalues UNI's performance simply because Iowa and Wisconsin lose a couple games is just laughable. Seriously, do you know how stupid that is? We aren't talking about some random FCS patsies here.

Don't you think that UNI may very well be undefeated if they played NDSU's schedule? A bunch of home cupcakes and a weak mid-major FBS team. UNI would be undefeated, and there would be no question as to how good they were. Maybe the strength of NDSU should be questioned because the the overall awfulness of the teams that they have played this year. Honestly, you could argue that UNI has proven more than NDSU has at this point, because they have played against some really good teams. Its a silly comparison Have some perspective.

Twentysix
September 23rd, 2012, 01:09 AM
UNI has played, hands down, the most difficult schedule in the nation. To argue that the passage of time devalues UNI's performance simply because Iowa and Wisconsin lose a couple games is just laughable. Seriously, do you know how stupid that is? We aren't talking about some random FCS patsies here.

Don't you think that UNI may very well be undefeated if they played NDSU's schedule? A bunch of home cupcakes and a weak mid-major FBS team. UNI would be undefeated, and there would be no question as to how good they were. Its a silly comparison Have some perspective.

Still you dodge a yes or no answer, even after being prompted twice.

Possibly, UNI would probably be 2-1 with a loss to CSU. In a close fasion, say by 3 points.

ValleyChamp
September 23rd, 2012, 01:10 AM
What ****ing question are you talking about?

Twentysix
September 23rd, 2012, 01:11 AM
What ****ing question are you talking about?

The question you quoted.

da_Bison

Possibly, UNI would probably be 2-1 with a loss to CSU. In a close fasion, say by 3 points.

dude, u need to shut her down for the night...UNI would take CSU to the wood shed

ValleyChamp

lol, right. YSU and NDSU would walk in and beat Iowa and Wisconsin but UNI couldn't beat Colorado freaking State.

ValleyChamp
September 23rd, 2012, 01:12 AM

The question you quoted.

I never said that IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Twentysix
September 23rd, 2012, 01:13 AM
lol, right. YSU and NDSU would walk in and beat Iowa and Wisconsin but UNI couldn't beat Colorado freaking State.

I didn't say the only likely outcome was beating them. I said its possible they would win, or more likely play them as closely as UNI did or even closer.

You attempted to cherry pick part of a quote.

The direct quote for reference.

FargoBison
September 23rd, 2012, 01:17 AM

Last year I had to listen to multiple UNI fans say 5 to 7 MVFC would beat Minnesota, who wasn't any worse than Iowa is this year. Iowa sucks, Wisky doesn't though so I still have to give you props for that performance. Not sure if any team in the FCS goes into Camp Randell and walks out with a win, tough atmosphere and they are a decent team.

ValleyChamp
September 23rd, 2012, 01:17 AM
I didn't say the only likely outcome was beating them. I said its possible they would win, or more likely play them as closely as UNI did or even closer.

You attempted to cherry pick part of a quote.

The direct quote for reference.

Now you are just being ridiculous and arguing semantics. Either you saying they would beat them or you're not. You can't play them much closer than UNI did. Single digit losses to Wisc and YSU, and 11 point loss to Iowa. Hell, NDSU lost to YSU at home LAST year.

Twentysix
September 23rd, 2012, 01:19 AM
Last year I had to listen to multiple UNI fans say 5 to 7 MVFC would beat Minnesota, who wasn't any worse than Iowa is this year. Iowa sucks, Wisky doesn't though so I still have to give you props for that performance. Not sure if any team in the FCS goes into Camp Randell and walks out with a win.

UNI would probably have gotten more of an assbeating if it wasn't a week 1 game. I would have liked NDSU's chances against Wisconsin in Week 1. Seriously.

Twentysix
September 23rd, 2012, 01:22 AM
I never said that IN THE FIRST PLACE.

UNI' defense sucked all night long, but I'm not sure it was an accurate representation of who they are considering all the injuries.

I must have misunderstood your words. That sentence, to me, imples exactly what I asked you.

ValleyChamp
September 23rd, 2012, 01:24 AM
Last year I had to listen to multiple UNI fans say 5 to 7 MVFC would beat Minnesota, who wasn't any worse than Iowa is this year. Iowa sucks, Wisky doesn't though so I still have to give you props for that performance. Not sure if any team in the FCS goes into Camp Randell and walks out with a win.

Seriously, you and me and everyone in the world knows that Minnesota is not Iowa. Several MVFC teams would have beaten them. Freaking USD beat them a few years ago. They in fact routinely lose to FCS teams. Minnesota is terrible, and has been for a while now. They don't have near the talent nor the program that Iowa and Wisc do, not even in the same stratosphere right now. Iowa is not a great team this year, but they are still Iowa.

With all of that said, even beating a terrible BCS team like Minnesota is something pretty significant for any FCS team. It just is. That's why its completely ridiculous to begin to discount UNI's efforts in those games because those teams have lost a couple games. Just dumb.

ValleyChamp
September 23rd, 2012, 01:26 AM
I must have misunderstood your words. That sentence, to me, imples exactly what I asked you.

What did I say? I said that the YSU game MAY NOT HAVE BEEN an accurate portrayal of what UNI is. Injuries cannot be ignored, what is so hard to comprehend about this? I have said repeatedly that even I have yet to figure out how good UNI is to this point.

ValleyChamp
September 23rd, 2012, 01:27 AM
UNI would probably have gotten more of an assbeating if it wasn't a week 1 game. I would have liked NDSU's chances against Wisconsin in Week 1. Seriously.

Yeah, just like how Wisconsin beat the hell out of Oregon St the next week, or Utah St the next week, or UTEP the next week...

Or maybe UNI would have given them an assbeating if it weren't a week 1 game? It probably would have been beneficial for UNI's FRESHMAN QB. Its pretty easy for me to make meaningless, outlandish and hypothetical statements as well.

Twentysix
September 23rd, 2012, 01:27 AM
What did I say? I said that the YSU game MAY NOT HAVE BEEN an accurate portrayal of what UNI is. Injuries cannot be ignored, what is so hard to comprehend about this? I have said repeatedly that even I have yet to figure out how good UNI is to this point.

So if it is not an accurate portrayal, assuming the game was an example of bad defense, which is what I believe you are saying. An accurate portrayal would include the opposite of bad defense, correct?

Twentysix
September 23rd, 2012, 01:28 AM
Yeah, just like how Wisconsin beat the hell out of Oregon St the next week, or Utah St the next week, or UTEP the next week...

Oregon State actually beat Wisconsin. 10 to 7. Anyhow, the fact you are arguing wisconsins weakness is very interesting to me. It is an interesting change in your stance.

ValleyChamp
September 23rd, 2012, 01:30 AM
Oregon State actually beat Wisconsin. 10 to 7.

Uh, I know. That was my point. Is your head really this thick?

Twentysix
September 23rd, 2012, 01:31 AM
Uh, I know. That was my point. Is your head really this thick?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?116817-Northern-Iowa-Youngstown-State-(Week-4)&p=1849827&viewfull=1#post1849827

Then read this one again

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?116817-Northern-Iowa-Youngstown-State-(Week-4)&p=1849826&viewfull=1#post1849826

FargoBison
September 23rd, 2012, 01:33 AM
Seriously, you and me and everyone in the world knows that Minnesota is not Iowa. Several MVFC teams would have beaten them. Freaking USD beat them a few years ago. They in fact routinely lose to FCS teams. Minnesota is terrible, and has been for a while now. They don't have near the talent nor the program that Iowa and Wisc do, not even in the same stratosphere right now. Iowa is not a great team this year, but they are still Iowa.

With all of that said, even beating a terrible BCS team like Minnesota is something pretty significant for any FCS team. It just is. That's why its completely ridiculous to begin to discount UNI's efforts in those games because those teams have lost a couple games. Just dumb.

MN with Tim Brewster as coach sure, multiple FCS teams could beat that imbecile due to the massive coaching advantage alone. Things have changed since he was fired, with him gone they are 2-0 vs Iowa.

ValleyChamp
September 23rd, 2012, 01:34 AM
So if it is not an accurate portrayal, assuming the game was an example of bad defense, which is what I believe you are saying. An accurate portrayal would include the opposite of bad defense, correct?

Do you not understand tense or context whatsoever? I said it "may" or "may not" have been, and went on to say that "I don't know how good they are". You rushed to judgement on UNI's play basing it off of watching them play tonight. I cautioned you that it may not be a fair judgement to make based off of this game considering the numerous circumstances.

Twentysix
September 23rd, 2012, 01:37 AM
Do you not understand tense or context whatsoever? I said it "may" or "may not" have been, and went on to say that "I don't know how good they are". You rushed to judgement on UNI's play basing it off of watching them play tonight. I cautioned you that it may not be a fair judgement to make based off of this game considering the numerous circumstances.

You have a terribly difficult time with yes and no, that is apparent.

As stated before I am basing it primarly off 2 of their 3 games, which has already also been stated, I put no stock in a win over a Sub DI.

UNI had earned prestige in my mind by playing Wisconsin close. Wisconsin has been shown to be a fraud since that game and the UNI close loss looks worse and worse every week, which was also previously stated. Perhaps it is you who is glossing over massive parts of my posts.

Should UNI lose next week, they will cease to merit any form of relevancy the rest of this season.

ValleyChamp
September 23rd, 2012, 01:37 AM
MN with Tim Brewster as coach sure, multiple FCS teams could beat that imbecile due to the massive coaching advantage alone. Things have changed since he was fired, with him gone they are 2-0 vs Iowa.

Yeah, they are 2-0 against Iowa. They still are not a good team, and they are still massively less talented, and an infinitely worse program than Iowa. Iowa loses to teams like that every year. (see Northwestern and Indiana as well)

FargoBison
September 23rd, 2012, 01:40 AM
The close lose to Wisconsin is actually looking better since the Badgers keep winning and Oregon State keeps winning. Sure they aren't the top 20 team some thought they were but they'll win at least 7 or 8 games this year.

ValleyChamp
September 23rd, 2012, 01:41 AM
You have a terribly difficult time with yes and no, that is apparent.

As stated before I am basing it primarly off 2 of their 3 games, which has already also been stated, I put no stock in a win over a Sub DI.

UNI had earned prestige in my mind by playing Wisconsin close. Wisconsin has been shown to be a fraud since that game and the UNI close loss looks worse and worse every week, which was also previously stated. Perhaps it is you who is glossing over massive parts of my posts.

Why would I answer yes/no to a question based off of something that I never said?

Yeah, Wisconsin is a huge fraud at 3-1. What a joke of a program that is. Montee Ball sucks too. UNI's performance there obviously means nothing. They are no Minnesota or Kansas that's for sure.

Its funny how you can rush to judgement based off of UNI's opponents, but you have NO QUESTION that NDSU is good. Who have they played? Who have they beaten? A bunch of home cupcakes and a ****ty CSU team. Its every bit as fair to question how good NDSU is based on their schedule as it is UNI's.

Twentysix
September 23rd, 2012, 01:41 AM
The close lose to Wisconsin is actually looking better since the Badgers keep winning and Oregon State keeps winning. Sure they aren't the top 20 team some thought they were but they'll win at least 7 or 8 games this year.

Unless they can reattain a #12 ranking that simply isn't so.

Twentysix
September 23rd, 2012, 01:42 AM
Why would I answer yes/no to a question based off of something that I never said?

Yeah, Wisconsin is a huge fraud at 3-1. What a joke of a program that is. Montee Ball sucks too. UNI's performance there obviously means nothing. They are no Minnesota or Kansas that's for sure.

Its funny how you can rush to judgement based off of UNI's opponents, but you have NO QUESTION that NDSU is good. Who have they played? Who have they beaten? A bunch of home cupcakes and a ****ty CSU team. Its every bit as fair to question how good NDSU is based on their schedule as it is UNI's.

Well NDSU did win a National Championship last season, returned oodles of players with significant playing time, and has yet to make anyone question whether they dropped off at all. But please, go on.

ValleyChamp
September 23rd, 2012, 01:47 AM
Well NDSU did win a National Championship last season, returned oodles of players with significant playing time, and has yet to make anyone question whether they dropped off at all. But please, go on.

What does last season have to do with this year's team? UNI returns talent as well from a very good team, so what? NDSU has not played anyone worth a crap that could make anyone question whether they dropped off.

As I said before, if UNI played NDSU's schedule, they may be undefeated as well. And, in your eyes, *poof* they would magically be a much better team than they are right now.

Twentysix
September 23rd, 2012, 01:49 AM
What does last season have to do with this year's team? UNI returns talent as well. NDSU has not played anyone worth a crap that could make anyone question whether they dropped off.

As I said before, if UNI played NDSU's schedule, they may be undefeated as well. And, in your eyes, *poof* they would magically be a much better team than they are right now.

Except UNI's talent from last year left the field by way of a blowout at the hands of a team that also left the playoff field early. Where as NDSU's talent left the field champions. I see atleast one stark difference where one team would be given benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise, where as the other team would be held at greater suspect. Do you feel UNI was NDSU's equal last season?

If ESPN has recorded the games score correctly, it appears the blowout was by 5 touchdowns and a field goal. That is quite substantial.

ValleyChamp
September 23rd, 2012, 01:58 AM
Except UNI's talent from last year left the field by way of a blowout at the hands of a team that also left the playoff field early. Where as NDSU's talent left the field champions. I see atleast one stark difference where one team would be given benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise, where as the other team would be held at greater suspect. Do you feel UNI was NDSU's equal last season?

I cannot begin to explain to you how little a previous year's results mean to a current season. Seriously, do you know how ridiculous you sound right now. Benefit of the doubt...give me a break. I love that you can be enamored with NDSU's wins over the garbage teams they have played, plus using last years results as your crutch as to the strength of the team, but are totally dismayed by UNI's losses. LOL

Do I think they were equals? I don't know, I know they were pretty close. Both were top 5 teams all year. UNI lost a 1 score game against NDSU on the road, a good portion of which was played with a backup freshman QB. NDSU proved itself in the playoffs, and UNI had a tough loss on the road. Again, what relevance does this have?

Squealofthepig
September 23rd, 2012, 01:59 AM
I liked UNI - really. I had them high pre-season and they hadn't plummeted much with their other two losses, even though I think most of FCS could kick Iowa's *** this year. But at some point you gotta actually put together a resume - close losses/losses to good teams are still losses. And UNI's lone win this year is against Central State. We're four weeks in and UNI is no closer to seven FCS/FBS wins than they were in February.

I still question NDSU, but they've, like, actually won the games set in front of them. Sure, I'd like their resume to be thicker to give them a #1 nod, but I honestly can't find anyone who has a better reason to be #1. Reigning national champ, no losses; an FBS win (and CSU would destroy Iowa - the Hawkeyes gave up one hundred yards IN PENALTIES to a directional Michigan team today), and two lopsided FCS wins. I'm liking the Citadel and ODU more and more as the season goes on, but can't really hate on the Bison until/if they lose.

Twentysix
September 23rd, 2012, 02:02 AM
I liked UNI - really. I had them high pre-season and they hadn't plummeted much with their other two losses, even though I think most of FCS could kick Iowa's *** this year. But at some point you gotta actually put together a resume - close losses/losses to good teams are still losses. And UNI's lone win this year is against Central State. We're four weeks in and UNI is no closer to seven FCS/FBS wins than they were in February.

I still question NDSU, but they've, like, actually won the games set in front of them. Sure, I'd like their resume to be thicker to give them a #1 nod, but I honestly can't find anyone who has a better reason to be #1. Reigning national champ, no losses; an FBS win (and CSU would destroy Iowa - the Hawkeyes gave up one hundred yards IN PENALTIES to a directional Michigan team today), no losses, and two lopsided FCS wins. I'm liking the Citadel and ODU more and more as the season goes on, but can't really hate on the Bison until/if they lose.

Perhaps I am reading this post with bias, but I seem to agree with what he is saying and it seems to agree with me, in some regards.

ValleyChamp
September 23rd, 2012, 02:02 AM

I still question NDSU, but they've, like, actually won the games set in front of them. Sure, I'd like their resume to be thicker to give them a #1 nod, but I honestly can't find anyone who has a better reason to be #1. Reigning national champ, no losses; an FBS win (and CSU would destroy Iowa - the Hawkeyes gave up one hundred yards IN PENALTIES to a directional Michigan team today), no losses, and two lopsided FCS wins. I'm liking the Citadel and ODU more and more as the season goes on, but can't really hate on the Bison until/if they lose.

I never said NDSU shouldn't be #1. In fact, I never claimed UNI should be ranked in a certain spot either. I'm only questioning twentysix's retarded logic.

Squealofthepig
September 23rd, 2012, 02:06 AM
I never said NDSU shouldn't be #1. In fact, I never claimed UNI should be ranked in a certain spot either. I'm only questioning twentysix's retarded logic.

Just trying to be a bit of an arbiter here. I don't always agree with twentysix, but he makes some good points every now and again and he isn't a total homer. If I had to reword, I'd say, "So far, NDSU has got it done on the field; UNI has some work to do. Plenty of football left."

Maybe that's a bit of a placation, sure, but regardless you guys still get to play each other - and if we could all agree on the boards, that would mean football would be unnecessary - who would want that? xpeacex

Twentysix
September 23rd, 2012, 02:16 AM
I cannot begin to explain to you how little a previous year's results mean to a current season. Seriously, do you know how ridiculous you sound right now. Benefit of the doubt...give me a break. I love that you can be enamored with NDSU's wins over the garbage teams they have played, plus using last years results as your crutch as to the strength of the team, but are totally dismayed by UNI's losses. LOL

Do I think they were equals? I don't know, I know they were pretty close. Both were top 5 teams all year. UNI lost a 1 score game against NDSU on the road, a good portion of which was played with a backup freshman QB. NDSU proved itself in the playoffs, and UNI had a tough loss on the road. Again, what relevance does this have?

The relevance is that NDSU's returning players, who have substainal game time, have attained more than UNI's returning players. NDSU has also yet to prove any faults other than a poor SOS. You seem to be attempting to fault NDSU for doing exactly what they need to do with the schedule that is infront of them. It makes little sense. UNI has yet to win a game that has any bearing on the season, the games NDSU has won all count. Right now the score is NDSU 3 UNI 0. If UNI doesn't score a win next week the only reason for playing out their schedule will most likely be playing the upset for another conference mate.

And as the season goes on UNI's huge positive so far, playing #12 wisconsin very close, looks crappier and crappier as wisconsin will most likely not reattain the glory they had in week 1, as it was undeserved in the first place.

If Wisconsin came into the season unranked and expected to suck, by wisconsin standards. I wouldn't have made UNI my #3 team at that point in the season.

Either way, you have been entertaining, even if you refuse to answer a yes or no question with a yes or no reply.

The rankings of teams are mostly conjecture at this point, that is for sure. It will become very telling in just a few weeks.

If needed, refer to previous posts to contexualize this one.

ValleyChamp
September 23rd, 2012, 02:32 AM
You seem to be attempting to fault NDSU for doing exactly what they need to do with the schedule that is infront of them.

Holy crap, no. No I did not. I was only doing EXACTLY what you were doing toward UNI--denigrating UNI for its opponents and scheduling circumstances. Its the same thing!!

Lol wow, you are dense.

HandoEX
September 23rd, 2012, 02:50 AM
Nice win for YSU. I had picked UNI and the Penguins proved me wrong. Sounds like it was a great game against two top national teams.

I expect hell in the UNIdome next weekend from both sides. Sounds like lots of Bison fans will be there and both teams will be very hungry and motivated. Our Defensive Coordinator doesn't seem to be too fond of the Panthers from what I have heard him say :)

I would love nothing more than to see two top 3 FCS teams in Fargo for Homecoming against YSU!!!

Professor Chaos
September 23rd, 2012, 03:46 AM
So lets just all agree that UNI's AD sold the team out for an extra paycheck. And NDSU's AD scheduled a winnable FBS game by design. Twist the words/motives however you want but that's how it ends up. And UNI will end up home come playoff time because of it.

frozennorth
September 23rd, 2012, 04:51 AM
UNI is either going to be the best team ever to not make the playoffs or the first 6 d1 win team to make the playoffs. I lean toward the later. I don't think they drop much, if any, in the polls this week. SHSU lost, ODU (and UNH) embarrassed themselves, montana lost, the citadel lost (to be fair, they should have, but I expected a little bit better performance, at least they should keep their rank), GSU was underwhelming. UNI lost to what should be the #1 or #2 team in the country by a touchdown and damn near sent it into overtime, and has three very respectable losses.

That said, I think NDSU thumps UNI next week, assuming that everyone who is supposed to be back next week is back next week. Yes, UNI probably would have beaten CSU, but honestly NDSU could have just about chosen a score in that game.

lastly, if we are grading on this years performances, YSU should be the runaway #1 team. They have possibly the 2 best wins (over UNI and PITT) plus a solid third win over a good albany team. NDSU-YSU is the regular season game of the year.

there i think i covered everything

penguinpower
September 23rd, 2012, 06:27 AM
Agreed--of course we can blame former YSU coach Dike Beede for that!

They used to use air horns. Beede had his wife sew up some red flags and gave them to the referee's before the game. He asked them to use the flags instead of the horns when a penalty was called and they agreed. The original flags used in the first football game are located in the YSU HOF.

Beede was annoyed by air horns is my understanding.

penguinpower
September 23rd, 2012, 06:33 AM
For those of you wondering.....

Albany 30
#23 Maine 20

Maine score a late TD as well. Albany led from start to finish.

Good luck in the 2nd half Guins.

I have been voting Albany in the Top 25 since week 2! Good job, but it should be expected as you are a top 15 team IMOP.

penguinpower
September 23rd, 2012, 06:41 AM

The pass defense was fine as long as we weren't playing 10 yards off the receivers. In the critical plays we were in man coverage, otherwise in zone. STUPID

penguinpower
September 23rd, 2012, 06:51 AM
Ha...i love the quit bitching comment when YOU STILL ****ING BITCH ABOUT THAT ****.

YOU ARE PATHETIC

You are complaining about 1 second. The game I'm talking about ended and there was a BS call that YSU ran into the kicker (total BS) and UNI got a 15 yard penalty with a re-kick with 0:00 on the clock. I think you guys paid the refs that year.

penguinpower
September 23rd, 2012, 06:55 AM

UNI is an excellent football team with an excellent defense. Keep in mind that both teams have outstanding offense and it put a lot of pressure on the defenses. YSU was in a zone most of the night becuase they were trying to keep everything in front of them. 1 pick resulted when they played man coverage. I think that it is not about the defensive players as much as the scheme.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 23rd, 2012, 06:56 AM
So lets just all agree that UNI's AD sold the team out for an extra paycheck. And NDSU's AD scheduled a winnable FBS game by design. Twist the words/motives however you want but that's how it ends up. And UNI will end up home come playoff time because of it.

If UNI runs the table the rest of the season they are in the playoffs and probably have a 1st round bye.

That was a waste of time reading 26 and valleychamp go back and forth. UNI is the best 1-3 team in FCS and next week's game against the Bison is huge. NDSU has taken care of business so far. Now it is time to go into CF and get a win.

The next 2 weeks are huge for the Bison.

penguinpower
September 23rd, 2012, 07:42 AM
BTW, Northern Iowa ran a pick route on YSU cornerback Julius Childs and that was the offensive pass interference penalty. UNI was trying to get the ball to Brett LeMaster and ran a pick route on Childs with with linebacker Ali Cheaib in coverage. You dirty bastards think you can get away with anything. LOL!

danefan
September 23rd, 2012, 07:44 AM
I have been voting Albany in the Top 25 since week 2! Good job, but it should be expected as you are a top 15 team IMOP.

I think you might be right....

Albany

1. beat the #22 team on the road by two scores (should have been three but Maine scored a late TD)
2. Played within the same margin against the #4 team that the #6 team did.
3. Easily beat Colgate, which gave the #16 team a run for their money (1 point game)

Seems that all adds up to being ranked at least as high as Stony Brook and arguably higher.

unigriff
September 23rd, 2012, 08:09 AM
UNI is an excellent football team with an excellent defense. Keep in mind that both teams have outstanding offense and it put a lot of pressure on the defenses. YSU was in a zone most of the night becuase they were trying to keep everything in front of them. 1 pick resulted when they played man coverage. I think that it is not about the defensive players as much as the scheme.

what UNI defense were you watching this year? I'd have to say this is the worst defense (albeit very injured and depleted) ive personally seen in a long time...04 was pretty bad too. Our bread in butter (run D) is fairly non exsistent against big bruising backs and our pass defense is our stronger suit but you can't rely on your safeties to be the leading tacklers and expect to win a game. NDSU will shred us by 3 scores if our run D doesn't get better.

UNIFanSince1983
September 23rd, 2012, 08:16 AM

I still question NDSU, but they've, like, actually won the games set in front of them. Sure, I'd like their resume to be thicker to give them a #1 nod, but I honestly can't find anyone who has a better reason to be #1. Reigning national champ, no losses; an FBS win (and CSU would destroy Iowa - the Hawkeyes gave up one hundred yards IN PENALTIES to a directional Michigan team today), and two lopsided FCS wins. I'm liking the Citadel and ODU more and more as the season goes on, but can't really hate on the Bison until/if they lose.

After today you COULD argue that YSU deserves to be #1. They beat a better FBS team, and have beat 2 very very good FCS teams.

UNIFanSince1983
September 23rd, 2012, 08:21 AM
BTW, Northern Iowa ran a pick route on YSU cornerback Julius Childs and that was the offensive pass interference penalty. UNI was trying to get the ball to Brett LeMaster and ran a pick route on Childs with with linebacker Ali Cheaib in coverage. You dirty bastards think you can get away with anything. LOL!

The TV coverage did not show that. I assume you were there in person so thank you for that. I was just curious what the PI was because the TV did not show it at all. We don't think we can get away with anything.

We committed too many penalties, and didn't execute well enough to win the game. YSU on the other hand did the things they needed to do to get the victory. Sadly I think we end up like EWU last year. Start the season horribly then go on a run and eventually miss the playoffs but we will see.

penguinpower
September 23rd, 2012, 08:27 AM
The TV coverage did not show that. I assume you were there in person so thank you for that. I was just curious what the PI was because the TV did not show it at all. We don't think we can get away with anything.

We committed too many penalties, and didn't execute well enough to win the game. YSU on the other hand did the things they needed to do to get the victory. Sadly I think we end up like EWU last year. Start the season horribly then go on a run and eventually miss the playoffs but we will see.

I was not being serious when I stated that you guys think you can get away with anything.

That is what happened but no one explained it. I just thought I would let everyone know.

MplsBison
September 23rd, 2012, 08:40 AM
I really honestly see no good way for NDSU to win next week.

In Iowa. UNI has lost three games, two in a row to very good competition. If they lose to NDSU then most likely they're out for the playoffs.

Not saying I *want* NDSU to lose. Not at all. But even for the sake of the MVFC, it would be better if they did. Then beat YSU the week after.

I almost feel better with the team having a loss. I don't like a team that doesn't know what losing feels like in the regular season. You don't want to get your first lesson in the playoffs! The loss to YSU last season helped in that regard and NDSU won that which is most important (conference championship and national championship).

clenz
September 23rd, 2012, 08:46 AM
I was not being serious when I stated that you guys think you can get away with anything.

That is what happened but no one explained it. I just thought I would let everyone know.

We don't know that's what happened....no explanation was given...no explication on the interference call or why the clock didn't stop

penguinpower
September 23rd, 2012, 08:53 AM
Okay dip****, I said I didn't understand why there wasn't 1 second on the clock, but it was a pick play, I am happy that the news media wrote something about it since you won't listen to me.

By JOE SCALZO

[email protected]

YOUNGSTOWN

A dozen years of frustration came down to one play on Saturday night.

The Youngstown State football team was clinging to a 42-35 lead by the tips of its fingernails, while the fans were gnawing them off.

With five seconds left and Northern Iowa on the Youngstown State 11 yard line, the Panthers put the game in the hands of their spectacular freshman quarterback, Sawyer Kollmorgen.

And, it turns out, in the hands of the officials.

Northern Iowa ran a pick route on YSU cornerback Julius Childs, an illegal play designed to free up Brett LeMaster in the end zone. With linebacker Ali Cheaib in coverage, Kollmorgen fired a pass to LeMaster that safety Donald D’Alesio batted away with no time left.

Ballgame.

Or was it?

The official threw a flag and what remained of the ninth-biggest crowd in Stambaugh Stadium history began mentally checking off the penalty yardage.

“At first I thought they were calling it against us,” said D’Alesio, who was credited with breaking up three passes. “And then I kind of replayed the play [in my head]. Then I heard what the ref said and we were all excited.

“I actually saw Ali run [in celebration] and that’s when I knew they called it on them and not us.”

The official called offensive pass interference, the crowd exploded and YSU’s sidelines emptied, filling the field with a sea of red.

“Everybody stormed the field and I didn’t know what to think,” said junior quarterback Kurt Hess, who had to sweat out the final 1:50 on the sidelines after tossing the game-winning touchdown, a 26-yard bullet to Christian Bryan. “A lot of energy, a lot of relief that we let out all at once.

“It was definitely a significant win for our football team.”

UNI coach Mark Farley was unhappy both with the call — “I’m still waiting to find out [what happened],” he said — and the play clock, believing there should have been one second left.

“All the officials were holding up one finger,” he said. “Then they huddled and seemed confused.”

Hess completed 20 of 28 passes for 290 yards, four TDs and no interceptions, making two huge fourth-down conversions (including a 26-yarder to Will Shaw on the game-tying drive that may have been the best play of Hess’s career).

Jamaine Cook added 146 yards rushing and a TD for the Penguins (4-0), who snapped an 11-game losing streak to the Panthers. YSU had not defeated UNI since 2000, the last year of Jim Tressel’s tenure with the program.

That was also the last year the Penguins began a season 4-0.

“It’s a great situation to be in,” YSU coach Eric Wolford said. “At the same time, we’ve got to continue to remain humble. We have bigger things we want to do than just be undefeated for the first part of the season.

“If we want to play 15 or 16 games, right now we’re just at the end of the first quarter. We’ve got four down and we’re getting ready to start the second quarter.”

That begins in two weeks. YSU has an open date next weekend, then travels to North Dakota State to play the defending FCS champions.

“We’re going to enjoy this for 24 hours,” Hess said. “We need to realize this is just one small step for us. We have bigger goals.

“We need to keep our minds on what we want to achieve.”

UNIFanSince1983
September 23rd, 2012, 08:56 AM
Panther fans need to move on. No matter what happens this game will be a loss. Get over it move on to the next one. I guarantee the team has.

penguinpower
September 23rd, 2012, 08:56 AM
Clenz, since you are probably a conspiracy theorist the names and hometowns of the officials: referee Wally Righton (Darien, Ill.), umpire Scott Jones (St. Louis), head linesman Jim Swider (Downers Grove, Ill.), line judge Jeff Meslow (White Bear Township, Minn.), side judge Steve Thielen (Eagan, Minn.), field judge Jason Frank (Mondovi, Wis.) and back judge Rick Fahnestock (Cuba, Ill.).

MplsBison
September 23rd, 2012, 09:01 AM
Clenz, since you are probably a conspiracy theorist the names and hometowns of the officials: referee Wally Righton (Darien, Ill.), umpire Scott Jones (St. Louis), head linesman Jim Swider (Downers Grove, Ill.), line judge Jeff Meslow (White Bear Township, Minn.), side judge Steve Thielen (Eagan, Minn.), field judge Jason Frank (Mondovi, Wis.) and back judge Rick Fahnestock (Cuba, Ill.).

Steve Thielen!?

I see him around town all the time wearing his bright red YSU hooded sweatshirt!!

JK :D

clenz
September 23rd, 2012, 09:03 AM
You, and anyone can speculate on what the penalty was, doesn't change the fact we don't know what the actual penalty was. I'm watching the play again right now...there has to be contact for it to be a penalty....guess what's missing....contact. I've got proof if you want it....watch the play. It was a zone, the CB that would have been the one picked by Sinkfield is actually backing off to the pylon - no contact made. The UNI WR doesn't make contact with a YSU player until the ball is knocked down - NO ACTUAL PASS INTERFERENCE TOOK PLACE.

Doesn't change the fact UNI got ****ed out of 1 more play.

Also, litterally NO ONE has said anything about a conspiracy you dumbass. I said that to you last night on CS when you tried to bait over there too

penguinpower
September 23rd, 2012, 09:06 AM
Also, litterally NO ONE has said anything about a conspiracy you dumbass. I said that to you last night on CS when you tried to bait over there too

WTF are you talking about? What is CS?

clenz
September 23rd, 2012, 09:09 AM

WTF are you talking about? What is CS?
May not have been you, but you YSU fans sure do have something with conspiracies....

http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32208&p=696383&hilit=Wally+Righton+Darien%2C+Ill.#p696383

Vindy beat reporter blog...

For any UNI conspiracy theorists out there, here are the names and hometowns of the officials: referee Wally Righton (Darien, Ill.), umpire Scott Jones (St. Louis), head linesman Jim Swider (Downers Grove, Ill.), line judge Jeff Meslow (White Bear Township, Minn.), side judge Steve Thielen (Eagan, Minn.), field judge Jason Frank (Mondovi, Wis.) and back judge Rick Fahnestock (Cuba, Ill.).

Daved
September 23rd, 2012, 09:19 AM
Opponents usually can at Stambaugh, over the years the majority of bad calls by far have been against us.

Daved
September 23rd, 2012, 09:30 AM
You are complaining about 1 second. The game I'm talking about ended and there was a BS call that YSU ran into the kicker (total BS) and UNI got a 15 yard penalty with a re-kick with 0:00 on the clock. I think you guys paid the refs that year.Yeah I remember well that travesty---UNI missed the FG and YSU won the game ,then with 0:00 on the clock UNI got a gift kick 15yds closer and a very bogus W--BTW now that the Wolf is in town no more automatic W's for UNI.

Daved
September 23rd, 2012, 09:37 AM
Steve Thielen!?

I see him around town all the time wearing his bright red YSU hooded sweatshirt!!

JK :DMust've been given a new one--the one Tressel gave him was faded, not bright.:D

DoubleE
September 23rd, 2012, 11:12 AM
We don't know that's what happened....no explanation was given...no explication on the interference call or why the clock didn't stop

on offensive pass interference isnt their a 10 second run off anyway ? so then the 1 second thing wouldnt matter ?

Daved
September 23rd, 2012, 11:15 AM
crazy thing is a 1-3 UNI is still top ten in my opinionMine too.QB has experience of 3 major battles but plays like he's been in 3 years of major battles.

clenz
September 23rd, 2012, 12:54 PM
on offensive pass interference isnt their a 10 second run off anyway ? so then the 1 second thing wouldnt matter ?

That's only if the penalty is the reason the clock stopped, which it wouldn't have been. It is also able to be negated if the team had a time out left, which uni did.

penguinpower
September 23rd, 2012, 01:56 PM
You, and anyone can speculate on what the penalty was, doesn't change the fact we don't know what the actual penalty was. I'm watching the play again right now...there has to be contact for it to be a penalty....guess what's missing....contact. I've got proof if you want it....watch the play. It was a zone, the CB that would have been the one picked by Sinkfield is actually backing off to the pylon - no contact made. The UNI WR doesn't make contact with a YSU player until the ball is knocked down - NO ACTUAL PASS INTERFERENCE TOOK PLACE.

Doesn't change the fact UNI got ****ed out of 1 more play.

I just watched the play again. #21 and #89 for UNI crossed and #21 blocked the YSU corner past the LOS in the end zone. The definition of a pick play is: An illegal play where an offensive player(s) block defensive player(s) past the line of scrimmage during a pass play before the pass reception. A pick play occurs when two receivers run paths that cross each other. In doing so, one receiver blocks the person defending the other receiver. This leaves the other receiver open to catch a pass. It is technically pass interference.

clenz
September 23rd, 2012, 02:10 PM
Yet we still don't know what the call actually was....

GoGuinsGo
September 23rd, 2012, 02:47 PM

This is exactly right. With the offensive pass interference call the clock didn't matter. As soon as that call was made, ball game was over. So Clenz, enough with your 1 second left on the clock bs. And I have no idea what you're watching.. Just watched the play, Childs definitely gets screened. If you think about it.. It was a good play call because usually officials won't see that in the heat of a close game. It was a great call and the right call.

clenz
September 23rd, 2012, 03:04 PM
Did you actually miss the part where I explained the 1 seconds rub off is voided for 2 reasons?

1. That only happens when it is the penalty that stops the clock. That wasnt the case as the incomplete pass would have stopped the clock.

2. The run off can be avoided if the ten had a time out to use...which UNI did.

we'll say pi call stands (without knowing what the actual penalty was) but uni should have had one more play

GoGuinsGo
September 23rd, 2012, 03:09 PM
Didn't realize they had a TO left... I was unaware of you're first reason... It was a classic game.. I know you're upset but if I would've asked you before the game if you would win giving up 42 points what would you have said? It was 2 great offenses going at it and YSU proved to be the best offense UNI has faced.

clenz
September 23rd, 2012, 03:27 PM
I wouldn't have....im also not saying I think uni deserved to win...we didn't with how the defense played (neither did ysu fwiw), and we had chances to make sure it didn't come down to that...but it did...and we got homered by the clock operator. Would we have scored? The law of probability says no, but sawyer was on lock yesterday and should have gotten the chance.

I dare anyone to watch that play and the clock and tell me that they objectively think there was zero seconds on the clock when the ball hit the ground the first time (when the clock should have stopped)

THE HERD
September 23rd, 2012, 09:39 PM
After today you COULD argue that YSU deserves to be #1. They beat a better FBS team, and have beat 2 very very good FCS teams.

I wouldn't have a problem with that......the guins have nice resume right now.

I-AA Fan
September 23rd, 2012, 11:03 PM
Wow. I have read waaaaay too much about this penalty. First of all, this game was on ESPN3 ..which is why penalties were called fairly. Penguins posters have a valid point on fairness of conference officials ...but YSU fans are not well-liked by the officiating community. Probably because the fans are very knowledgeable, and do not miss much. They can be border-line obnoxious at times.

Secondly. The call was offensive pass interference. There would be a 10-second run-off. Although UNI did have a timeout remaining (which I thought they lost on the play where the QB lost his helmet). It is still an offensive foul, which would mean the clock starts with the whistle. Then if UNI receives their time-out ...the clock starts at the whistle coming out of the time. Or two, the clock starts on the ready-for-play signal. Also the official could claim that the offensive pass interference delayed the game ...and ordered the clock be reset or run-off.

The reality is that there is no incomplete pass on an illegal forward pass. So the official's signal had to stop the clock. The signal came well after the end of regulation, and it was just to discuss the ruling ...game over. The other way the clock would stop is naturally. However the ball was snapped with the game clock having far less time that the play clock ...again ...game over.

Daved
September 23rd, 2012, 11:18 PM
Didn't realize they had a TO left... I was unaware of you're first reason... It was a classic game.. I know you're upset but if I would've asked you before the game if you would win giving up 42 points what would you have said? It was 2 great offenses going at it and YSU proved to be the best offense UNI has faced.If you want to see really bogus calls by the officials watch the ending of the YSU-UNI games of 2004 and 2006.Replay of blocked FG clearly shows that YSU had won the game but a bogus call by the refs gave them another kick 15 yds closer after time expired.

Daved
September 23rd, 2012, 11:23 PM
Wow. I have read waaaaay too much about this penalty. First of all, this game was on ESPN3 ..which is why penalties were called fairly. Penguins posters have a valid point on fairness of conference officials ...but YSU fans are not well-liked by the officiating community. Probably because the fans are very knowledgeable, and do not miss much. They can be border-line obnoxious at times.

Secondly. The call was offensive pass interference. There would be a 10-second run-off. Although UNI did have a timeout remaining (which I thought they lost on the play where the QB lost his helmet). It is still an offensive foul, which would mean the clock starts with the whistle. Then if UNI receives their time-out ...the clock starts at the whistle coming out of the time. Or two, the clock starts on the ready-for-play signal. Also the official could claim that the offensive pass interference delayed the game ...and ordered the clock be reset or run-off.

The reality is that there is no incomplete pass on an illegal forward pass. So the official's signal had to stop the clock. The signal came well after the end of regulation, and it was just to discuss the ruling ...game over. The other way the clock would stop is naturally. However the ball was snapped with the game clock having far less time that the play clock ...again ...game over.Wish officials could relay that to Farley --officials at Stambaugh generally are anti-YSU so we have to play harder and better so as to keep the outcomes out of their hands.

BucBisonAtLarge
September 24th, 2012, 01:36 AM
If UNI can run the table, there is an argument for inclusion in the tournament without the magical seven D1 wins. They will have beaten at least two other teams that are currently undefeated and highly regarded. It is who you beat that counts more in my book. When the FCS went to twenty in the tourney that 7-win line in the sand, not in the rules but more a committee position, got all wiggly. Win out, Panthers, and test 'em. You could have the AQ, but if not, the committee will have to explain why UNI is outside the field. Your RPI should be glossy.

Money games are a part of the FCS reality and calculus, especially those scheduling BCS schools in the top tier of conferences. I don't know what the opinions are of a two B1G games in a season.

UNIFanSince1983
September 24th, 2012, 05:38 AM
If UNI can run the table, there is an argument for inclusion in the tournament without the magical seven D1 wins. They will have beaten at least two other teams that are currently undefeated and highly regarded. It is who you beat that counts more in my book. When the FCS went to twenty in the tourney that 7-win line in the sand, not in the rules but more a committee position, got all wiggly. Win out, Panthers, and test 'em. You could have the AQ, but if not, the committee will have to explain why UNI is outside the field. Your RPI should be glossy.

Money games are a part of the FCS reality and calculus, especially those scheduling BCS schools in the top tier of conferences. I don't know what the opinions are of a two B1G games in a season.

IF and that is a big IF UNI runs the table we will be in. I think we get in even if we lose to NDSU and run the table but I am a little biased obviously. Just so you know if we run the table we will have 7 DI wins, and most likely will win the conference unless YSU goes undefeated (which COULD but probably won't happen).

UNIFanSince1983
September 24th, 2012, 05:41 AM
I wouldn't have a problem with that......the guins have nice resume right now.

If people voted strictly on this year the Penguins would be #1 on every single ballot. You beat a top 10 team, and a very nice Albany team plus have the BCS victory over what turns out to be an ok Pitt team. There is no better FCS resume right now. I still think NDSU is better, but you cannot argue that YSU has the better resume at this point.

MplsBison
September 24th, 2012, 07:18 AM
IF and that is a big IF UNI runs the table we will be in. I think we get in even if we lose to NDSU and run the table but I am a little biased obviously. Just so you know if we run the table we will have 7 DI wins, and most likely will win the conference unless YSU goes undefeated (which COULD but probably won't happen).

If you lose to NDSU you'll be 6-4 in the committee's eyes. It's a darn shame how the schedule worked out this year and there's nothing you can do about that.

I just think it'd be tough to get a 6-4 team in.

You'd have quality wins over SDSU (which I think is going to be competitive for the MVFC title this season), ILL St (ditto) but both at home. SIU would probably be your best road win, the week after NDSU.

UNIFanSince1983
September 24th, 2012, 07:23 AM
If you lose to NDSU you'll be 6-4 in the committee's eyes. It's a darn shame how the schedule worked out this year and there's nothing you can do about that.

I just think it'd be tough to get a 6-4 team in.

You'd have quality wins over SDSU (which I think is going to be competitive for the MVFC title this season), ILL St (ditto) but both at home. SIU would probably be your best road win, the week after NDSU.

My statement went in two different directions there. If we lose to NDSU I still think we get in despite having only 6 D1 wins. However, we will have 7 D1 wins if we beat NDSU and win out. And IF we beat NDSU and win out we are probably conference champs so it doesn't really matter. It will be tough no matter what though with SDSU and Illinois State on the schedule after NDSU. Not to mention we haven't won at SIU in who knows how long.

MplsBison
September 24th, 2012, 07:32 AM
I could easily see UNI winning this week and NDSU beating YSU next week. If they win out the rest, then all three are 7-1 and have lost to each other.

But ILL St and SDSU will have something to say about that, maybe even SIU (which I think is starting to get back on track) and probably IND St too will win a game they're not expected to win.

But if UNI loses to NDSU next week, even if you run the rest of it and end up 6-4 (7-4 with the DII win), I just don't think there's going to be enough room to squeeze you guys in even though I certainly think you would be more deserving of a lot of the teams in.

ysubigred
September 24th, 2012, 08:52 AM

I'm sick of hearing the "pass defense is the Achilles heel of this team" !! Even the Baltimore Ravens has trouble stopping people/pass. The game has changed and it will be very rare that someone totally shuts down anyone. Unless you're playing a dog LOL!! Bottom line give the other team some credit UNI is a good football team and the QB is going to be a nightmare the rest of his career for opposing "D"s.

BisonBacker
September 24th, 2012, 09:14 AM
crazy thing is a 1-3 UNI is still top ten in my opinion

I struggled Mightily with this. They are not done yet this year and are a dangerous team no doubt. Backs are up against the wall the entire rest of the season.

penguinpower
September 24th, 2012, 09:19 AM
I struggled Mightily with this. They are not done yet this year and are a dangerous team no doubt. Backs are up against the wall the entire rest of the season.

I had a difficult time as well, however, as we get later into the season it is clear to me that they could beat most FCS teams so therefore they belong in the top ten as it is probably where they would have ended up anyway. How many teams do you see out there that could beat them in the FCS?

BisonBacker
September 24th, 2012, 09:22 AM

Wow I don't know what to say about that comment. It's great that you have pride in NDSU as do I but NDSU and YSU would have both beaten Wisconsin and Iowa??? I think we would have done similarly as UNI did but going into Madison or Iowa City and winning isn't an easy task. Regardless it's senseless to debate it since neither NDSU or YSU played them but UNI did. UNI played very respectable games against both. Wisconsin is no doubt down but I'm still not ready to say NSDU would march in there and win. As to how good NDSU is we will get a test next week. Up to this point UNI is better than any team we have played this year and it isn't even close.

UNIFanSince1983
September 24th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Wow I don't know what to say about that comment. It's great that you have pride in NDSU as do I but NDSU and YSU would have both beaten Wisconsin and Iowa??? I think we would have done similarly as UNI did but going into Madison or Iowa City and winning isn't an easy task. Regardless it's senseless to debate it since neither NDSU or YSU played them but UNI did. UNI played very respectable games against both. Wisconsin is no doubt down but I'm still not ready to say NSDU would march in there and win. As to how good NDSU is we will get a test next week. Up to this point UNI is better than any team we have played this year and it isn't even close.

Well said. It doesn't matter because NDSU or YSU doesn't play Iowa or Wisconsin. I really don't like getting into such and such team beat such and such team therefore we are better than them. However, Wisconsin did beat Utah State who handed CSU their *** on Saturday...

Professor Chaos
September 24th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Well said. It doesn't matter because NDSU or YSU doesn't play Iowa or Wisconsin. I really don't like getting into such and such team beat such and such team therefore we are better than them. However, Wisconsin did beat Utah State who handed CSU their *** on Saturday...
Yeah, CSU is definitely not good. I think it's safe to say that UNI or YSU would've also beaten them and Wisconsin would wipe the field with them. CSU's only saving grace is the fact that there are some other very bad teams in the MWC this year like UNLV, Wyoming, and New Mexico so they shouldn't go 1-11.

UNIFanSince1983
September 24th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Yeah, CSU is definitely not good. I think it's safe to say that UNI or YSU would've also beaten them and Wisconsin would wipe the field with them. CSU's only saving grace is the fact that there are some other very bad teams in the MWC this year like UNLV, Wyoming, and New Mexico so they shouldn't go 1-11.

Like I said I am not trying to get into this. NDSU beat the FBS team they played. UNI lost to both the ones they played. Those are the facts and anything else doesn't really matter.

BisonBacker
September 24th, 2012, 09:56 AM
I had a difficult time as well, however, as we get later into the season it is clear to me that they could beat most FCS teams so therefore they belong in the top ten as it is probably where they would have ended up anyway. How many teams do you see out there that could beat them in the FCS?

That's a good question. So many variables, Home or away? Injuries for each team determining who could play or not would affect the outcome. I wouldn't even want to venture a guess. I still think UNI is a very good team and with last Saturdays loss and the pride and playoffs on the line they are a DANGEROUS team!

Twentysix
September 24th, 2012, 11:11 AM

I think its very likely NDSU and YSU would have both beaten both teams or played them as close as UNI or even closer. Neither is exceptional this year. Every week those close losses lose luster

http://www.1plus1plus1equals1.com/You_Can_Read_Button_200x200.jpg

Good job!!!! Your reading comprehension is of 5th grade level!!! You made it through half the sentence!!!!

The fact that you don't think NDSU could have played Iowa close or Week 1 Wisconsin close means you should probably reevaluate which team you choose to bestow your fandom. Both teams are WAY WAY down.

Does that assist your reading comprehension?

penguinpower
September 24th, 2012, 11:30 AM
That's a good question. So many variables, Home or away? Injuries for each team determining who could play or not would affect the outcome. I wouldn't even want to venture a guess. I still think UNI is a very good team and with last Saturdays loss and the pride and playoffs on the line they are a DANGEROUS team!

Their QB is outstanding and they have him for 4 more years. Ouch.

BisonBacker
September 24th, 2012, 11:58 AM
http://www.1plus1plus1equals1.com/You_Can_Read_Button_200x200.jpg

Good job!!!! Your reading comprehension is of 5th grade level!!! You made it through half the sentence!!!!

The fact that you don't think NDSU could have played Iowa close or Week 1 Wisconsin close means you should probably reevaluate which team you choose to bestow your fandom. Both teams are WAY WAY down.

Does that assist your reading comprehension?

Talk about being a rube and a douchebag in one. You call me out for not reading the entire post. Well I did. If you had read my comments never once did I say we couldn't play them well. What I did say was that UNI played them well. Keep posting and neg repping you are coming close to the level of MNPLS and Lakes in ridiculous posting. As far as being a fan of NDSU if being a dickhead like you means being a fan than no I'm not one. Not of being a dick/douche. But feel free to make and A$$ of yourself you are doing a fine job of it.

BisonBacker
September 24th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Their QB is outstanding and they have him for 4 more years. Ouch.
Not only their QB but they have an impressive running back and O line. Any NDSU fans who think this is going to be an easy game are kidding themselves. I expect nothing less of UNI just because they have a 1-3 record. They have played much stiffer competition than we have and will be hungry to prove themselves better than the 1-3 record makes them out to be. We have the depth and skill to win but it will be a battle. I wouldn't expect anything less from the MVFC.

Twentysix
September 24th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Talk about being a rube and a douchebag in one. You call me out for not reading the entire post. Well I did. If you had read my comments never once did I say we couldn't play them well. What I did say was that UNI played them well. Keep posting and neg repping you are coming close to the level of MNPLS and Lakes in ridiculous posting. As far as being a fan of NDSU if being a dickhead like you means being a fan than no I'm not one. Not of being a dick/douche. But feel free to make and A$$ of yourself you are doing a fine job of it.

The sentence you replied too means in week 1 we were better than UNI period, in week 2 we were also better than UNI period. I also extend this to YSU.

Beyond that I am not going to argue with you.

BisonBacker
September 24th, 2012, 01:44 PM
The sentence you replied too means in week 1 we were better than UNI period, in week 2 we were also better than UNI period. I also extend this to YSU.

Beyond that I am not going to argue with you.
You seem to like to argue looking at this thread and how quick you neg rep folks if they don't agree 100% with you. Where did I ever imply that NDSU wouldn't play the teams UNI did close? Fact is you read something that wasn't there. Who's reading comprehension should be in question?

Looks like you just want to neg rep anyone apparently who doesn't agree with you and tell them they should
Good job!!!! reevaluate which team you choose to bestow your fandom. Both teams are WAY WAY down.

I guess being a reasonable fan and having a logical discussion with you is nearly impossible if you think what I posted....

is anything but reasonable and is deserving of Neg repping. UNI is better than you are giving them credit for. Wisconsin is to this point 3-1 but I guess according to you that is way way down. Why because they didn't beat UNI by 50 points? Don't be so quick to judge others or neg rep them for reasonable coherent debate. UNI fans could be back here next week rubbing your face in it if, IF they are to win this game and who could blame them? I'm not saying they will win either, but they do have the talent to beat NDSU if a few bounces go there way. A few bounces either way could easily determine this game and that's why they play it. If NDSU plays a good game I believe we will come out with a win but I'm not going to sit and tell UNI they would lose to CSU by 3 points and only be 2-1 had they played our schedule. UNI is better than CSU in my opinion. Go ahead and neg rep me if you like I'm not ready to toss UNI to the bottom of the MVFC and tell them they will be irrelevant after next week like you have. Or better yet do as many good coaches have told their players, Win or Lose do it with respect for the opponent. UNI has played a hard schedule up to this point. Much harder than ours has been. Fine enjoy that they are not at the top of the conference but you don't be a rube about it as if they have lost three games to NAIA schools. Oh and I"ll continue to fly my Bison colors whether or not it's OK with you.

ValleyChamp
September 24th, 2012, 02:47 PM
26 is a retard, boyz. Ain't no doubt about it...

ysubigred
September 24th, 2012, 03:00 PM
xpopcornx LOL!! This is supposted to be a UNI YSU thread and now it's turned into a NDSU vs NDSU vs UNI fan slug fest xcloud9x

xbowxxlolx

MplsBison
September 24th, 2012, 03:19 PM
I would say EASILY that NDSU, UNI and YSU posters have boosted the MVFC to the top intra-flaming conference on AGS this season.

Normally I would've expected the SoCon in that category.

BisonBacker
September 24th, 2012, 03:27 PM
xpopcornx LOL!! This is supposted to be a UNI YSU thread and now it's turned into a NDSU vs NDSU vs UNI fan slug fest xcloud9x

xbowxxlolx

I'm just callin em like I see em there my friend. Anyone who can seriously argue that our schedule has been even close to theirs in regard to SOS or just take pot shots at them because they are now 1-3 based on both or our scheds is just plain ignorant or drunk. What does surprise me is 26's attack on me for just making a general comment. I'll cheer for the Bison from here to eternity but I'm not so obsessed or blinded by my allegiance to NDSU that I can't give credit where credit is due. As to the flame war or neg reppin I'm not a fan of that but I'll drop the rep hammer if necessary. In this case absolutely it was. Now back to the UNI Youngstown post game debate. Carry On xthumbsupx

clenz
September 24th, 2012, 07:30 PM

The reality is that there is no incomplete pass on an illegal forward pass. So the official's signal had to stop the clock. The signal came well after the end of regulation, and it was just to discuss the ruling ...game over. The other way the clock would stop is naturally. However the ball was snapped with the game clock having far less time that the play clock ...again ...game over.
Litterally nothing you said is true.

The 10 second run off only counts if it is the penalty that stops the clock...the incomplete pass stopped the clock - it would NOT HAVE STARTED on the whistle no matter how the **** you try to spin it.

Also, how was it an "illegal forward pass"?

The official is signalling incomplete pass at the time of the picture I posted and blowing his whistle) with clearly time on the clock. The penalty doesn't stop the clock (have you figured that out that), the incomplete pass did. If the pass had been caught and tackled at the 1 yard line, then yes you would have a point...BUT IT WAS AN INCOMPLETE PASS WHICH STOPS THE CLOCK LITTERALLY A BILLION TIMES OUT OF A BILLION.

Also, a 10 second run off can be voided by having a TO. A team does not have to wait for the ref to give the ready for play to call a T.O. either, fwiw.

ysubigred
September 25th, 2012, 07:08 AM
I'm just callin em like I see em there my friend. Anyone who can seriously argue that our schedule has been even close to theirs in regard to SOS or just take pot shots at them because they are now 1-3 based on both or our scheds is just plain ignorant or drunk. What does surprise me is 26's attack on me for just making a general comment. I'll cheer for the Bison from here to eternity but I'm not so obsessed or blinded by my allegiance to NDSU that I can't give credit where credit is due. As to the flame war or neg reppin I'm not a fan of that but I'll drop the rep hammer if necessary. In this case absolutely it was. Now back to the UNI Youngstown post game debate. Carry On xthumbsupx

UNI fan's can piss you off but after all these years I just offer them hugs LOL!! xlolx